What happened to ships?

pac0naut
3236 posts Member
No, really, what happened to them? Ships have been out for over a year now and really haven't had much in the way of setting your team apart from another. IMO and others, they're sort of the black sheep of the game. When you have a maxed meta team and face another maxed meta team, RNGesus decides the match for the most part eg. Who's TFP goes first, did you get a target lock and who's cap ship goes first.

What happened to Omegas?
What happened to hardware?
What can set your G12+ TFP apart from other G12+ TFP's?

Adding crystals was a great idea to get people to invest in ships and pilots, but once you get to a certain point, there's nowhere else to go. It's kind of like the forgotten part of the game short of adding a few paywalled ships here and there and requiring them for platoons.
Meanwhile, down on the farm....

Replies

• ships are under developed for sure, they need their own table (GW as well?) with specific ship energy and ships to farm, omegas, hardware, new ships to start.

I only get 5 ship attacks a day why in the world do I want to try and experiment with different combos (or god forbid have some fun with them) when I need to focus on position at payout.
  • They need to add more ships. This has been said well over a year. More cap ships and atleast 5 starters for each faction. It’s prime time to play around with abilities.
    Ex- tie bomber - like a Biggs for Empire.
    Tie defender - ignores taunt etc.
    not everything has to be marquee or an event.
  • Yeah more ships.. and GW for ships... and finaly a Raid
  • Xezee
    274 posts Member
    pac0naut wrote: »
    No, really, what happened to them? Ships have been out for over a year now and really haven't had much in the way of setting your team apart from another. IMO and others, they're sort of the black sheep of the game. When you have a maxed meta team and face another maxed meta team, RNGesus decides the match for the most part eg. Who's TFP goes first, did you get a target lock and who's cap ship goes first.

What happened to Omegas?
    What happened to hardware?
    What can set your G12+ TFP apart from other G12+ TFP's?

Adding crystals was a great idea to get people to invest in ships and pilots, but once you get to a certain point, there's nowhere else to go. It's kind of like the forgotten part of the game short of adding a few paywalled ships here and there and requiring them for platoons.

So, after those, hopefully, upcoming improvement, when you max out your meta team... What will change exactly?
  • I would love to see ships have their own table and energy, that way we can farm new ships. Definitely need more capital ships and adding hardware, which could be tied in to the ship's table. Hopefully this is the next area they work on.
  • +1000 to all comments
  • We need more ships, really. The roster remains very thin.

There are lots of toons that remain ship-less and could easily be crew members - Bodhi, JKA, GK, and CLS could easily be pilots. GG and Nute should have capital ships. The Vets could have another Falcon, the Hoth rebels could fly a Snowspeeder, the Bounty Hunters could all have ships...

This is admittedly pretty light-side heavy.
  • S3nt1_ge wrote: »
    Yeah more ships.. and GW for ships... and finaly a Raid

GW for ships? You're joking right?
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Needs a ships table, maybe ship energy(?) something else to do with them. Ship Raid would be big - and a reason to work on more ships.
    I, for one, have a lot of growth left in ships, but thats because I continue to see little use in them. Just in the past 2-3 months I've brought them up quite a bit just because I know I'm going to miss out on something if they're not starred.... but it irks me to do so.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • +1
  • There should be at least 60 ships in the game now IMO. Enough for 9 ships for each major faction (empire, first order, separatists, republic, rebel, resistance) and a capital ship besides.
  • Woodroward wrote: »
    There should be at least 60 ships in the game now IMO. Enough for 9 ships for each major faction (empire, first order, separatists, republic, rebel, resistance) and a capital ship besides.

70 - We need a Hondo cap ship and 9 BH/scoundrel ships... because... space pirates!
    giphy.gif
    Plus he made it through TCW and is now on Rebels - that's got to be worth something here....
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    For me, it's not always the lack of ships, although that is pretty major. It's the fact that once you get to a certain point, RNG takes the wheel. Also, there needs to be a ship with evasion down for TFP.
  • Haha. As much as I hate rebels. It’s embarrassing there’s no falcon- the ot falcon.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Haha. As much as I hate rebels. It’s embarrassing there’s no falcon- the ot falcon.

The Falcon isn't a BAD ship per se, but we need a new Chewie to go with OG Han. I'd like that. Not the Vets, but OG Trilogy Chewie. And it needs to OWN TFP :lol:
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    pac0naut wrote: »
    For me, it's not always the lack of ships, although that is pretty major. It's the fact that once you get to a certain point, RNG takes the wheel. Also, there needs to be a ship with evasion down for TFP.

I disagree with the sentiment that it all comes down to RNG at a certain point. Fleet composition is a bigger factor IMO. I've been taking first practically every day for at least 11 months with no TFP, TIE Advance, or Biggs in my fleet, and I never lose on offense.

To put it another way: there is no ship META, just trends, which means it only comes down to RNG if you are running the same comp as everyone else... even then I would think the human should still win over the AI in that scenario the majority of the time.
    Post edited by Woodroward on
  • They Need to make a lot more ships, but Need pilots. How about, as an example, tie fighter pilot is renamed Tie Pilot, and you can use him to pilot Tie Fighter/Interceptor/Bomber etc ? Rebel pilot, for x-wing/a-wing /b-wing etc, so you dont Need to gear 5 pilots that are essentially the same just for a ship
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    ships was a mistake, but now we're used to the rewards :(
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • They Need to make a lot more ships, but Need pilots. How about, as an example, tie fighter pilot is renamed Tie Pilot, and you can use him to pilot Tie Fighter/Interceptor/Bomber etc ? Rebel pilot, for x-wing/a-wing /b-wing etc, so you dont Need to gear 5 pilots that are essentially the same just for a ship

But he cant not pilot five ships at the same time. So we do need seperate pilots for each ship.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Moved to correct sub forum.

Yes please. Ships need some love. (maybe not a GW for ships)
  • a
    leef wrote: »

I disagree. Ships wasn't a mistake. Slow rolling out content for them the way they have was a mistake.

They had this robust arena in squad and introduced a severely limited version of it in ships with a slightly different mechanism...

People were already expecting too much from competitive arenas to make the limited ship arena appealing.

Here it is, over a year later, and we still have no complete faction fleets, no way to individualize our ships, and such a limited supply of ships that we see the same ships over and over again at any level of the arena. At least the toons you see doesn't get stagnant in arena until you get into double digits or lower.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    I don't think ships was a mistake. The issue for is the fact they're severely underutilized even with the creation of TW. Then again, there comes a balance with making robust gameplay and the time sink involved for the playerbase. Arena and TW are fine for ship content, but adding them to part of a raid would be awesome.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Woodroward wrote: »
    a

I disagree. Ships wasn't a mistake. Slow rolling out content for them the way they have was a mistake.

They had this robust arena in squad and introduced a severely limited version of it in ships with a slightly different mechanism...

People were already expecting too much from competitive arenas to make the limited ship arena appealing.

Here it is, over a year later, and we still have no complete faction fleets, no way to individualize our ships, and such a limited supply of ships that we see the same ships over and over again at any level of the arena. At least the toons you see doesn't get stagnant in arena until you get into double digits or lower.

While it perhaps could have a fun addition to the game, imo it just isn't. I probably won't enjoy it either if there are more ships, if it was more faction based or if you could individualize your ships. I would probably just reluctantly use resources on ships in order not to fall too far behind to a point where it starts hurting my overal progress and potentially my guild's performance in other game modes.
    There are just too many downsides to ships. Maybe i would have had a different opinion if i was consistandly ranking top10 though, i dunno.
    I can make up arguments all day to why ships was a mistake, truth is i just don't like em. They don't have that same feel that characters have. I know it's personal preference, but that's the main reason i don't like them, all that other stuff doesn't help either.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

I still wish they'd just go away.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Ships should just be its own separate game. Like it? Go for it, but leave the rest of us out.
  • From my perspective, there are three significant issues with ships.

First, there needs to be more playable ship content. There is sooooo much to do with heroes, and very little to do with ships. A ship raid would be pretty cool, I think. But, besides the very stale fleet arena, there are only two other places to use ships. Territory Battles, which (besides platoons that demand too many ships from a very limited supply) are actually very easy with regard to ships, and Territory Wars, which really don't allow full use of ships in general because of #2 and #3 below.

Second, there are missing cap ships. For instance, there are 5 factions with no cap ship at all. (Well, it could be argued that Sith and Scoundrels shouldn't get cap ships, but that leaves Maul and Boba with no direct support). So... depending on your position, either five or three factions with no cap ship: First order, Resistance, and Separatists, at the least. Sure, FO and Resistance 'could' be getting cap ships soon due to their association with the new movie. But, those factions have been around since... well, a very long time. And Separatists have been around even longer without a cap ship. Why have ship factions with no direct cap ship support? It doesn't make any sense to me.

And third, the faction ratios are all wonky. Of the factions with no cap ships, there are 4 FO, 3 Resistance, and 3 Separatist ships (plus one scoundrel and one sith). ... There are two factions (Rebel and Galactic Republic) that have cap ships that also have six fleet ships each. Ok, you can't fill both the main fleet and all reinforcements with a single faction, but there are at least enough to run faction-specific comps with those cap ships if you so choose.

Then, there's the Empire faction. It has two really great cap ships (could be argued that they're the best cap ships in the game right now) and four non-cap fleet ships between them. What? Two cap ships have to split four fleet members? So, in a big part of the very limited ship content (TW), I have to decide which Empire cap ship I'm going to use with my four Empire fleet ships... that's just silly. Seriously. Who thought that was a good idea? Empire has two cap ships and the same number of fleet ships as FO, which doesn't have a cap ship. It really is ludicrous.

• Masscre wrote: »
    They Need to make a lot more ships, but Need pilots. How about, as an example, tie fighter pilot is renamed Tie Pilot, and you can use him to pilot Tie Fighter/Interceptor/Bomber etc ? Rebel pilot, for x-wing/a-wing /b-wing etc, so you dont Need to gear 5 pilots that are essentially the same just for a ship

But he cant not pilot five ships at the same time. So we do need seperate pilots for each ship.

I think as long as its a generic toon like tie pilot, he could be able to pilot different ships, as there is supposed to be plenty of tie pilots in a fleet, but then again, people would exploit that and g12 tie pilot and use Only TIE's in their fleet