Replacing Old Ben with Chopper as a Rebel Tank

Ariben
95 posts Member
edited January 2018
This might be crazy but I'm exploring maxing out Chopper to replace Old Ben on a CLS, raid Han, R2, Ezra, and Old Ben arena team.

Having Ezra and R2 on there means they get buffs and get reduced cooldowns.

My main concern is that Chopper has only a one turn taunt.

Will the reductions on R2's cooldowns be enough to keep stealth up?

Is this a crazy/stupid idea?

https://swgoh.gg/u/ariben/

Replies

• I actually use r2 and chopper together in a squad in tw. He gets taunt a lot with that combo because of the extra attack from r2s turn. Choppers attack gives a buff plus a chance to reduce Droid or Phoenix cooldowns. Never tried it with an additional Phoenix Ally though.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Usually you don't want chopper as a tank. He has a one turn taunt and he is fast so that one turn is over very quickly. What's more there is a three turn colldown. I suppose you can speed the cool down slightly by using ezras watch and learn (chopper is a support) to charge meter a little.

Also if you are facing buff heavy teams chopper can cleanse them off (recharging protection and draining turn meter). The 10% turn meter reduction on all enemies per buff on the targeted enemy can really buy some time.

In balance I expect it to be a bad idea but you can play with it if you like. I think it's more likely to work with bb8 r2d2 rjt team.
  • Chopper has a taunt. He isn’t a tank.

It’s there to pull aggro momentarily when you know a power move like a fracture from Thrawn or CLS’s dispel/BI combo is coming in. He can’t and won’t take sustained damage, but he adds a lot of control to a team.
  • Chopper has a taunt. He isn’t a tank.

It’s there to pull aggro momentarily when you know a power move like a fracture from Thrawn or CLS’s dispel/BI combo is coming in. He can’t and won’t take sustained damage, but he adds a lot of control to a team.

With that logic only old been is a tank. Everyone else gets fractured and is irrelevant.
  • ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    Chopper has a taunt. He isn’t a tank.

With that logic only old been is a tank. Everyone else gets fractured and is irrelevant.

No, because lots of other tanks have tools to get back to taunt ASAP and keep it up.

Ignore fracture in the equation if you like. The point of Chopper isn’t to take sustained hits. The point of chopper is to take a hit or two for a breif moment. It’s a different utility.
  • Ariben wrote: »
    This might be crazy but I'm exploring maxing out Chopper to replace Old Ben on a CLS, raid Han, R2, Ezra, and Old Ben arena team.

Having Ezra and R2 on there means they get buffs and get reduced cooldowns.

My main concern is that Chopper has only a one turn taunt.

Will the reductions on R2's cooldowns be enough to keep stealth up?

Is this a crazy/**** idea?

https://swgoh.gg/u/ariben/

Bad idea for that comp, you're better off keeping Ben.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »

He actually isn't a tank though. He's identified as a support.
  • Ariben wrote: »
    Is this a crazy/**** idea?

Yep. Silly idea.

• It is not a silly idea. If you have other droids in the mix (like R2 and BB8), Chopper also gives them random buffs. He dispels, he counters, he taunts, he has health and protection up, etc. He isn't a direct replacement, but in the right composition, he works very well. AnhaldT101 just put out a great video with Chopper and Nebit on a JTR team. It works well. Chopper gets a bad rap from some, but it is a good toon!
  • Chopper works well with enough other Phoenix or droids. But he’s not a tank and trying to replace a tank with him is going to result in him getting splatttered fast.

I don’t think anyone ITT is saying chopper is bad. Hell, I use him on my top ranked arena team. But he doesn’t fit where OP wants to put him.
  • The only issue I actually see with this, is that Chopper is not actually a tank. That's fine mostly, but the issue comes in with Ezra's Watch and Learn, because he can get extra protection from a tank, so that'll be missing, but on the bright side Chopper will provide TM. That would be the biggest pitfall I see with this.
  • yuuzhanron wrote: »
    The only issue I actually see with this, is that Chopper is not actually a tank. That's fine mostly, but the issue comes in with Ezra's Watch and Learn, because he can get extra protection from a tank, so that'll be missing, but on the bright side Chopper will provide TM. That would be the biggest pitfall I see with this.

Does anyone really ever used Watch and Learn on anything but a support? That 60% TM for Ezra, 40% for support is too good to pass up on. Once in a great while Zeb gets it if I really need someone dazed or stunned.

No, because lots of other tanks have tools to get back to taunt ASAP and keep it up.

Ignore fracture in the equation if you like. The point of Chopper isn’t to take sustained hits. The point of chopper is to take a hit or two for a breif moment. It’s a different utility.

No tank besides old ben deals with fracture at all. That is the only reason some use old ben over gk. Because even go can't handle fracture. Any insight on what other tank handles fracture even a little I would be very interested in. Let me know your secret against fracture.

No tank besides old ben deals with fracture at all. That is the only reason some use old ben over gk. Because even go can't handle fracture. Any insight on what other tank handles fracture even a little I would be very interested in. Let me know your secret against fracture.

Right. This is why I said “set fracture aside”.

Chopper can replace a tank if your idea of what a tank is for is “eat fracture”

This is not even close to he full extent of what actual good tanks are for.

(This is different from saying chopper is not a good character. He’s great. But hes not a tank. And it shows.)

zombie... death gets rid of fracture.
    I actually use r2 and chopper together in a squad in tw. He gets taunt a lot with that combo because of the extra attack from r2s turn. Choppers attack gives a buff plus a chance to reduce Droid or Phoenix cooldowns. Never tried it with an additional Phoenix Ally though.

The number of Phoenix and droid allies in the comp doesn't change how often someone's CDs get reduced because it gives an equal increase in CD reduction chance for each additional member of those factions due to an increased chance to assist.

To put it another way, everyone whose CDs can be reduced by Chopper will average having their CDs reduced the same amount regardless of how many droids and/or Phoenix are in comp.
  • I don't really get why you don't think he can be a tank. Characters I have that work better as a tank are kru gk. He is in that next category along with fost St shore if used properly. He is elite. I think he is extremely better away from Phoenix characters personally. My Droid squad in phase 3 can make it to enrage with him as my only taunt. I use r2 to also force taunt him. He is extremely hard to kill.
  • Woodroward wrote: »

zombie... death gets rid of fracture.
    I actually use r2 and chopper together in a squad in tw. He gets taunt a lot with that combo because of the extra attack from r2s turn. Choppers attack gives a buff plus a chance to reduce Droid or Phoenix cooldowns. Never tried it with an additional Phoenix Ally though.

The number of Phoenix and droid allies in the comp doesn't change how often someone's CDs get reduced because it gives an equal increase in CD reduction chance for each additional member of those factions due to an increased chance to assist.

To put it another way, everyone whose CDs can be reduced by Chopper will average having their CDs reduced the same amount regardless of how many droids and/or Phoenix are in comp.

Understood. I mainly meant that it's only those two getting the buffs. So you have a fifty fifty chance for an assist. But you are correct the more assists the more opportunities for him to get the cooldown.