Replies

• Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    DatBoi wrote: »
    jejuzang wrote: »
    Zolaz wrote: »
    Game has access to any current canon source, as well as anything used by EA previously.

EA should use my characters from SWToR, they were pretty OP. Who doesnt want a Clone Trooper that killed 2 Senators of the Republic? Nothing says you are OP like killing a Senator in the Senate while in the middle of being questioned in an investigation.

God those games were so great. After much hounding, I just got my son KotOR on Xbox for his birthday. I hope it holds up well....that and they make KotOR 2 a backwards compatible digital too.

That person and you are talking about different games. OP is talking about the MMO and you are talking about KotOR the single player game. If you dont know what SWTOR is i suggest you check it out as it ends the Revan storyline. And also read the book, SWTOR Revan.

Neither of these are considered canon. SWTOR Revan was printed a full year before Disney bought, and regardless the book is Legends i.e. Expanded Universe i.e. not canon.

Swtor is considered cannon

https://www.geek.com/culture/the-current-canonical-star-wars-timeline-1683840/

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

“As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the stand-alone Dark Horse Comics arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir.[1] Meanwhile, the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon[2] and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand. Most Star Wars material released after April 25, 2014—with some exceptions—is composed in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, making it part of the "new canon."”

You are correct
    However
    An item found in Luke's home in The Last Jedi has been confirmed to belong to (a/the) Jedi Crusader. So, the existence of a Jedi Crusader is canon. Revan was the Jedi Crusader in legends. It is not yet confirmed that this item belonged specifically to Revan. Revan's scene was deleted from the cartoon because they decided to (re)introduce him into canon differently. I'm sorry guys, but Revan is still not officially canon YET, but, I'm sure he will be, soon.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Game has access to any current canon source, as well as anything used by EA previously.

EA should use my characters from SWToR, they were pretty OP. Who doesnt want a Clone Trooper that killed 2 Senators of the Republic? Nothing says you are OP like killing a Senator in the Senate while in the middle of being questioned in an investigation.

God those games were so great. After much hounding, I just got my son KotOR on Xbox for his birthday. I hope it holds up well....that and they make KotOR 2 a backwards compatible digital too.

That person and you are talking about different games. OP is talking about the MMO and you are talking about KotOR the single player game. If you dont know what SWTOR is i suggest you check it out as it ends the Revan storyline. And also read the book, SWTOR Revan.

Neither of these are considered canon. SWTOR Revan was printed a full year before Disney bought, and regardless the book is Legends i.e. Expanded Universe i.e. not canon.

“As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the stand-alone Dark Horse Comics arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir.[1] Meanwhile, the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon[2] and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand. Most Star Wars material released after April 25, 2014—with some exceptions—is composed in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, making it part of the "new canon."”

You are correct
    However
    An item found in Luke's home in The Last Jedi has been confirmed to belong to (a/the) Jedi Crusader. So, the existence of a Jedi Crusader is canon. Revan was the Jedi Crusader in legends. It is not yet confirmed that this item belonged specifically to Revan. Revan's scene was deleted from the cartoon because they decided to (re)introduce him into canon differently. I'm sorry guys, but Revan is still not officially canon YET, but, I'm sure he will be, soon.

edit:
    Take note that the item belonging to the Jedi Crusader happens to be a Sith kyber crystal. What other Jedi Crusader would own a Sith kyber crystal?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

You are correct
    However
    My post was in response to the person claiming that swtor was canon
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I'd love to see the slow release of 1. Darth Malak, 2. Dath Sion, 3. Darth Traya and 4. Darth Malgus and we already have 5. Darth Nihilus

Those sith required in a Legendary Event to unlock Darth Revan - would be epic! each of those toons would be epic, let alone then using them to unlock Revan!

It would be the most coveted Legendary toon and event yet, not to mention the others, required for the event would generate a lot of money for the game as like 90% of the playerbase want them all!
  • DatBoi wrote: »

You are correct
    However
    My post was in response to the person claiming that swtor was canon

Yes, I can read, and I agree with you that swtor is no longer canon. However, certain aspects of the era are slowly being reintroduced back into canon. Not specifically swtor or Revan, but other things connected to them. I believe that Revan will be canon again, but as of this post, he still is not.
  • Boo wrote: »
    I'd love to see the slow release of 1. Darth Malak, 2. Dath Sion, 3. Darth Traya and 4. Darth Malgus and we already have 5. Darth Nihilus

Those sith required in a Legendary Event to unlock Darth Revan - would be epic! each of those toons would be epic, let alone then using them to unlock Revan!

It would be the most coveted Legendary toon and event yet, not to mention the others, required for the event would generate a lot of money for the game as like 90% of the playerbase want them all!

that would be epic
  • Some things that bother me about The forums:

Canon is which Jewish texts are considered Holy Scripture
    Canon is what Christian books were chosen at the council of Nicea

Cannon is a weapon

Star Wars is a fictional story
    Revan is a fictional character
    The Star Wars is not a religion; the Church of the Force is not real

Quit letting corporations tell you which fictional characters are real and which fictional characters are fake.

Quit arguing over which fictional stories can be continued

Star Wars and Canon are an illogical pairing to me, except when trying to predict movie plots, book or tv show plots. ( and even then, lately they have borrowed more "non-canon" stories than canon)
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • I'm not sure religion is a great argument to use on what's "fake."

I don't think anyone is arguing about what stories can be continued, simply correcting the OP about the entire premise of this thread.

I do agree that speculation on what will be borrowed from and "recanonized" is interesting, but rather pointless as we'll never know until we get there.

Sorry you don't like the word canon when applied to Star Wars, but you should take it up with Lucas and not the forums or Disney. "Canon" has been a part of the Star Wars vernacular for like 30 years.
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Some things that bother me about The forums: ...the Star Wars is not a religion; the Church of the Force is not real ...

I find your lack of faith disturbing. But your post is accurate. Canon is one thing, cannon is another. Revan is not (yet) canon, he was never a cannon.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Maxx121312 wrote: »
    Does the inclusion of HK47 and DN not make Revan also fair game for swgoh? Not sure it’s canon but there are characters from those games in swgoh

So we can get Revan, Iden Versio, Gelen Marekor even Mr Bones, we can't get Mara Jade.

Companies dont have rights to sw charcters they created. Lucasarts held rights to all, which means now Disney does. EA can use any character canon or otherwise as long as they get permission. Case in point DN was not EA and is not canon but was used here.
  • Jamesm wrote: »
    Maxx121312 wrote: »
    Does the inclusion of HK47 and DN not make Revan also fair game for swgoh? Not sure it’s canon but there are characters from those games in swgoh

So we can get Revan, Iden Versio, Gelen Marekor even Mr Bones, we can't get Mara Jade.

Companies dont have rights to sw charcters they created. Lucasarts held rights to all, which means now Disney does. EA can use any character canon or otherwise as long as they get permission. Case in point DN was not EA and is not canon but was used here.

I know Lucasarts/Disney retains the rights to basically everything created in their world. I was speaking about what they could get permission for, not what Disney is able to put in it's own game.

You might be correct, but I believe I remember that being the dev response around the time DN came out about who they have "access" to when people were wanting Mara Jade.
  • Generally speaking that would be cool after ending 9 in an epic way that is made up of action scenes and extremely heartbreaking moments worse than King Kong. If they made a pre BBY universe for a Star Wars movie like during the Knights of The Old Republic. It would be something new and keep the spice alive for the new Star Wars movies. Instead of it being, what happened after like, now Rey and etc. or and Yoda movie would be fine
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    I would very much like Revan to be canon but his canonicity is less a concern to me than his potential inclusion in SWGOH. Canon or not, bring me the Revanchist!
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"

I believe the whole point was that EA already has permission to use Revan (regardless of canon) along with any other character from an EA game. Other legends characters such as Mara Jade are not.
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member

You are correct
    However

Exactly. Not sure why people don't understand just because part of legends is made canon doesn't mean that the entire part of that legends is made canon.
    Some things that bother me about The forums:

Canon is which Jewish texts are considered Holy Scripture
    Canon is what Christian books were chosen at the council of Nicea

Cannon is a weapon

Star Wars is a fictional story
    Revan is a fictional character
    The Star Wars is not a religion; the Church of the Force is not real

Quit letting corporations tell you which fictional characters are real and which fictional characters are fake.

Quit arguing over which fictional stories can be continued

Star Wars and Canon are an illogical pairing to me, except when trying to predict movie plots, book or tv show plots. ( and even then, lately they have borrowed more "non-canon" stories than canon)

I do agree with this to a point. I still read the old legends stories because I like them. However when looking at new characters added to this game I believe it was stated or inferred by the Dev's that the characters needed to be canon or part of the kotor games and also that this game itself is not canon.

The new canon actually annoys me because there is less books coming out then there was before.

I believe the whole point was that EA already has permission to use Revan (regardless of canon) along with any other character from an EA game. Other legends characters such as Mara Jade are not.

But where is this EA game coming from? That has nothing to do with anything.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Jamesm wrote: »

How do you know EA has permission to use Revan?
  • Ender22 wrote: »

google it
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Ender22 wrote: »

google it

I did, all I see are forums full of fan theories. That red kyber crystal doesn’t prove anything Related to Revan. It may be a nod, but it’s unnoficial
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Devs have stated that everything is on the table. Whether or not a character is canon is irrelevant.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member

Devs have stated that everything is on the table. Whether or not a character is canon is irrelevant.

As is obvious with Nihlus. But, I do remember them saying that was a rare thing that they might not ever do again.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

As is obvious with Nihlus. But, I do remember them saying that was a rare thing that they might not ever do again.

Nihilus, HK 47, Sith Trooper, and Sith Assassin. I believe it was a Star Wars Celebration presentation where they said comics, games, books, etc were all viable sources for content. And I think people asked about characters like Aphra and Revan and they said they were definite possibilities.
  • It's all R.A. Salvatore's fault we're having this conversation. He killed Chewbacca in Vector Prime. Disney wanted him back. Everything else was collateral damage.
  • I don't understand the point of debating over whose canon, it doesn't really matter. If Darth Revan was considered canon, he wouldn't be any less fictional. If a character or game needs to be canon to be played or appreciated, then it isn't truly a good game. If I read a Star Wars novel and enjoy it, then it doesn't matter to me if it is canon or not, and if it does, then was it truly enjoyable?
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member

Well seeing as gear art work and character faction tags have to approved Disney I am guessing something such as a character would also. So everything might be on the table yes but not everything is approved.
  • So that visual dictionary and the Sith crystal/jedi crusader pendant was leaked weeks before the movie and this is the first I've heard anyone try and say it is 100% Revan. I'm hopeful, but probably more of an Easter egg and less of an official canon origin . We shall see!

You realize the visual dictionaries are not canon right? ...neither are tabloid sites. The knights of ren are canon but that is currently separate from Revan/Malek in the star wars canon.
  • I think it has to do with the mass appeal of star wars the last few years bringing a lot of casual fans in, but I have seen multiple discussions lately where people seem confused by what is canon. Granted, as time goes on there becomes more and more of a grey area...but it hasn't been that long since the reset. It is pretty cut and dry at this point.
  • FierceRevan
    1315 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Ugnaught wrote: »
    So that visual dictionary and the Sith crystal/jedi crusader pendant was leaked weeks before the movie and this is the first I've heard anyone try and say it is 100% Revan. I'm hopeful, but probably more of an Easter egg and less of an official canon origin . We shall see!

You realize the visual dictionaries are not canon right? ...neither are tabloid sites. The knights of ren are canon but that is currently separate from Revan/Malek in the star wars canon.

The Last jedi visual dictionary is canon according to disney and Lucasfilm per StarWars.com, Pablo hidalgo and Kathleen Kennedy.
  • FierceRevan
    1315 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm not sure what you are referring to by tabloid sites, but p.s. The visual dictionary was written mostly by Pablo Hidalgo, the lead story group writer and the individual in charge of canon for Lucasfilm .

@Ugnaught
  • It literally doesn't get more canon than that.