You censor "basement" in guild chat?

Are you for real??

Replies

• Yup, blanket filter, look at tha word and break it down, . . . .. That's why ,
  • It's ridiculous. You can say actual cuss words, but not slang words. Word filter for the win.
  • Remove Bat , I had exactly the same problem with endorsement yesterday
  • TyloRen
    381 posts Moderator
    GhostTruckin is right, people dodge filters all the time, and this is a game that lots of kids play. It's really not a huge deal, and it's kind of humorous at times. Just laugh and move on

Moving this to feedback
  • Since kids aren't allowed to use guild chat, why keep such an antiquated chat filter in place? It wouldn't be hard to put controls that allow the users to adjust the strength of the chat filter for themselves. Anyone who claims it would be "too much trouble" or "too expensive" would be lying or not know what they are talking about. Yahoo had this in place for its chatters back in the 1990's.
  • Since kids aren't allowed to use guild chat, why keep such an antiquated chat filter in place? It wouldn't be hard to put controls that allow the users to adjust the strength of the chat filter for themselves. Anyone who claims it would be "too much trouble" or "too expensive" would be lying or not know what they are talking about. Yahoo had this in place for its chatters back in the 1990's.

I agree, but I think the whole kids cant use chat and cant change this setting later thing is a bad bad idea, it has caused nothing but grief for my guild, trying to figure out of people just dont respond or they dont have access to chat is extremely annoying.
  • What if the basement is an actual US Navy sailor? The proper term for them is basement. Remove the filter or update the game and give a filter option on/off. It should’ve been a player choice, not crammed down our throats like CG is NetNanny.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    What if the basement is an actual US Navy sailor? The proper term for them is basement.

What.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    What if the basement is an actual US Navy sailor? The proper term for them is basement.

What.

He doesn't know how to spell properly.
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    $ e a man is censored because the filter is bad at spelling. They OP is suggesting Basement is censored because the same would is contained removing the BA and T.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Yeah but that doesn't explain why you think the proper term for a US Navy sailor is "basement."

Other than the fact that you're spelling "seamen" wrong.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Yeah but that doesn't explain why you think the proper term for a US Navy sailor is "basement."

Other than the fact that you're spelling "seamen" wrong.

I guess you don’t understand snarky,snappy wit and play on words then. Savvy.

Yuck, that actually hurt spelling that word more than Rose Tico.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Wow.
  • Sarcodino
    394 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    The crazy thing is that those filters suffle languages in strange ways... For example in our spanish guild chat we cant tipe "acumular" (a***ular) in guild chat :S because "cu.m" xD but acumular mean "stack" i think "stack" is a word who kids can use without any censorement in every language... Am i wrong? So why is it censored in our language???
    Its crazy... And its only single example from a lot of words in our language...

"cu.m" is translated as "sem.en" in spanish, thats why this example came to my mind xD
  • Fatzke
    705 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    The german word "wen.iger" (fewer) is also censored, because it contains the bad n-word. :D
  • As a Star Wars geek who spends way too much time playing video games, I too find the word "basement" very offensive.
  • It's mainly because they didn't put spaces before and after the words they are filtering out. To use an innocuous word, if it filtered out " the " instead of "the" it wouldn't then censor words like "together".
  • It's just a very rudimentary filter using a list of bad words from the 1940s. I'd imagine it was an assignment for some first year UC co-op that has since dropped out of college.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Not-basement related, I kinda think that if our President can say it, we should be able to say it too. ;)
  • And will all the words that got filtered out, the boobs forgot boobs! lol
  • Virgin is also censored in the chat. We had a good laugh about it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Virgin is also censored in the chat. We had a good laugh about it.

As a Star Wars geek who spends way too much time playing video games, I too find the word "virgin" very offensive.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

As a Star Wars geek who spends way too much time playing video games, I too find the word "virgin" very offensive.
    You're kidding right?

• Fives5555 wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

You're kidding right?

As a person who frequently finds things very offensive, I find the notion of jokes and kidding to be very offensive.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Fives5555 wrote: »

You're kidding right?

As a person who frequently finds things very offensive, I find the notion of jokes and kidding to be very offensive.

https://imgflip.com/i/22pjn5
  • Fives5555
    331 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Fives5555 wrote: »

You're kidding right?

That's too bad
    Post edited by Fives5555 on
  • stohelit
    149 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I think it is kind of like the game they sometimes play on "I'm sorry, I haven't a clue," where they play a song, and the panelists get to bleep out words to make a song seem absolutely filthy.
    e.g., "I wanna be BLEEPed by you, ..." (For those who don't know the song, it is "I wanna be loved by you, ...")

i.e., the filter makes you see naughty words where no one would look for them.
    So it's real purpose is to make regular text seem naughty.

Strange words that it filters include:
    http (but not https for some reason)
    new

• Since this is a puzzle game, how about a word game.

Collect the censored words, and come up with the longest sentence (in the human language of your choice) that is:
    1) made entirely of words which are at least partially censored and 2) innocuous. Bonus points for coming up with an innocuous sentence which is entirely censored.

(If the selected language is not in English, please provide a translation.)

• DaWitchIzDed
    128 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I find it odd that Chat is censored at all, considering that children playing the game are unable to access it?
    Does anyone know why this is? Seems strange to censor a supposedly adult only element of the game, I mean who is actually being protected there?
    It also does censor some very strange words.
    Darth Maul's standard attack refills TM on a "finishing blow" as written in the game.
    However, you type this into chat and it asterisks the word "blow", despite it being written in the description of his move. That's either ironic, or just straight hypocrisy.
    It also seems strange to allow the word "hell", but not "****". "Sucks" but not "blow", I wonder if "blow" is because of the illegal substance connotation?
    Obviously it's extremely easy to get around, but I just wonder why it's done in the first place & how they came to choose the words on the blacklist?
    Post edited by DaWitchIzDed on
  • DaWitchIzDed
    128 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Fatzke wrote: »
    The german word "wen.iger" (fewer) is also censored, because it contains the bad n-word. :D

But that's spelt with a double "g". The word they are blocking in wen.iger, with a single "g" is the name of a country in Western Africa.
    There are literally hundreds of words that contain other words. Blocking acc.umulate because of 3 letters within it is an extremely odd decision.
    a) It's a genuine word with a dictionary definition, meaning any child can read the word in the OED.
    b) That it has no actual relation to the word that is meant to be blocked.
    c) Absolutely no-one is going to use the word "acc.umulate" in place of the word "c.um", are they?? lol