Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    amaze122 wrote: »
    So here is my question; does the level and gear level of the pilot affect the power of the ship?

Yes.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    @Sunnie1978 I just scrolled back through some posts and saw your post up top about fleet battles. That was not there before, the thread ended at the post by Huatimus, the one dated;
    January 14, 2018 1:26AM

So now I just happened to look up there and it had... appeared! Thank you for all that fleet info and I am going to make a regular habit of both refreshing my page, And checking the posts up top now and again... B)

Edit: (I really can't help it; I Always think of something that I did not say o:) )

So here is my question; does the level and gear level of the pilot affect the power of the ship?

Yes, ship stats are affected by the stars, level, gear level, ability level and mods of your pilots, as well as the stars and levels of your ship. However, unlike on toons, the only thing that matters for mods for ships is the level and number of dots. A level 15 five dot mod with poor secondaries give the same boost to ship stats as a a level 15 five dot mod with great secondaries. You do not even need to have matching sets for the boost, so some people call a group of mismatched max mods a "ship set."
  • Thank you for the info.
  • Will here it is; my first ever Raid loot (in a Big Guild). Not too shabby, huh?

[img][/img]NKT5G6z.jpg
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Congrats!!!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Man I would kill for some stun guns, I can’t get them to drop for anything!
  • Thanks
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Man I would kill for some stun guns, I can’t get them to drop for anything!

Me too. Need several hundred at the moment.
    Will here it is; my first ever Raid loot (in a Big Guild). Not too shabby, huh?

[img][/img]NKT5G6z.jpg

Excellant drops to get.

Hopefully you don't get in trouble for not registering a zero as it let you overtake a bunch of people in rank and get better rewards.
  • Congrats on your raid rewards!
  • Thanks, everyone, and @Liath, I hope you get a lot of stun guns soon.

@Naraic, I don't think I will get into trouble because I was Told to attack that "Piggy" by a Lead person in the Guild, so I sort of had a pass; I think they wanted me to get a lotta loot. B)

Maybe some of my judgments were wrong about these guys; maybe they really did want to reach down and elevate a lesser player, give him a seat with "the Big Boys".

I know I Definitely benefited from the use of all of the heroes that I borrowed from them because almost everyone in this Guild is level 82 - 85...
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    That's a great first prize box!
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Liath wow I never looked at your character Inventory before; what an exercise in beauty. All those characters, with their beautiful purple and even Gold circles, and all Maxed Out!

No wonder you know so much about this game. And your choices say volumes about what you think, some are level 85, which I assume is Your present level, while others that I thought were a pretty big deal, You stopped leveling way back at level 78 and even 75... for Yoda, even!

If I should Ever have a treasure vault like that, just the anticipation of that just makes me want to stay with this game even more... :o
    Post edited by amaze122 on
  • @crzydroid thanks!
  • Congrats on the nice raid rewards. I check this thread daily just to see how you are progressing.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    @Liath wow I never looked at your character Inventory before; what an exercise in beauty. All those characters, with their beautiful purple and even Gold circles, and all Maxed Out!

No wonder you know so much about this game. And your choices say volumes about what you think, some are level 85, which I assume is Your present level, while others that I thought were a pretty big deal, You stopped leveling way back at level 78 and even 75... for Yoda, even!

If I should Ever have a treasure vault like that, it that just makes me want to stay with this game even more... :o

Haha. I generally only level characters up to the level required for the gear I am equipping on them or the ability level I need for whatever I am using them for. There are plenty of good characters that I haven't gotten around to working on just because I can't do everything and didn't have a specific need for them yet, so that doesn't necessarily mean I think they aren't useful.

Grand Master Yoda, however, just isn't that useful in the game right now. He is the weakest of the legendary characters.
  • Thanks for the lookout, @Halfbaked! B)

This was interesting; around 8 pm or so, I got this "Free Ship Power-Up Pack".

[img][/img]HCcYa1g.jpg

These are my ships; if only I can figure out which ones to use the Pack on!

[img][/img]ZYxL197.jpg

The Jedi Consular's ship looks like a cool as heck Porsche ship, while the Executrix looks like a no-holds-barred, Battlecruiser slash Mean Machine, so I am leaning towards those two... :o
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Executrix is a good capital ship, and Jedi Consular's ship is pretty good too. The power of the pilots significantly affects the power of the ship, so working on and using the ships that you have strong pilots for is often a good idea. TIE Fighter Pilot's ship is good, but it won't be as strong since you haven't geared him. If you can get Biggs' ship (it's in the galactic war shop), that's a very good ship also.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks @Liath; advice from an expert is always appreciated...

Edit: I have Wanted many times to start leveling up Tie Fighter, but I run out of energy so Fast!

45 Energy, and 45 Cantina Energy at a time? Really? Time for some sweeping changes around here... :|
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I am trying to increase specific powers and abilities in certain players (AOE, healing powers, killing strikes, etc.)

It would take Far too many Ability mats at this point to take them any higher, but my question is, will increasing the "stars" of a player make their individual powers and abilities any stronger?

Edit: Another related question; would a 6* StormTrooper Han w Gear level VI be stronger, or a 4* Han w Gear level VIII
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I am trying to increase specific powers and abilities in certain players. It would take Far too many Ability mats at this point to take them any higher, but my question is, will increasing the "stars" of a player make their individual powers and abilities any stronger?

Star level increases a character's primary attributes - Strength, Agility, and Intelligence/Tactics. These increase their health, damage/crit rating, and armor/resistance. So a higher starred character will do more damage with his abilities than the same character at the same ability level but a lower star. It doesn't affect some other stats like potency, so a higher starred character doesn't have any better chance of getting a debuff to stick, for example.
  • @Liath, Okay got it, thanks.

So when I get to those points where for some reason or other I can no longer increase a player's, ability level, I will just work on their star level...
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Okay, I have been scouring the forums for info about Mods, and it seems that as Everyone on here has emphasized constantly it is all about speed, speed, Speed.

From all the various forums that I have visited, I have compiled a general consensus concerning where to get the best speed mods, New Players to the game like myself listen up;
    Getting Good Speed Mods
    Mod challenges only occasionally turn up good speed mods. Buy from the Mod Shipments, and for credits, not crystals.

"Arrow mod battles have pretty decent drop rates on speed primary for everything but the actual speed sets. A 1 dot Arrow with Speed Primary costs 97(ish) crystals from the mod store, whereas in the arrow battles in the Cantina, that is a Cantina Refresh that may or may not get a Speed Primary Arrow mod."

"Refresh the Mod Shipments area several times a day (it costs 15 crystals per refresh) to pan for good ones; it will be worth it. Usually, the gray or green speed arrows give good primary stats only but are cheaper, and Purple and yellows have a chance to score 15+."

Green, Purple, and Gold mods start out with more secondaries, and so have the chance of those secondaries themselves upgrading into even more speed mods.
  • amaze122 wrote: »
    Okay, I have been scouring the forums for info about Mods, and it seems that as Everyone on here has emphasized constantly it is all about speed, speed, Speed.

From all the various forums that I have visited, I have compiled a general consensus concerning where to get the best speed mods, New Players to the game like myself listen up;
    Getting Good Speed Mods
    Mod challenges only occasionally turn up good speed mods. Buy from the Mod Shipments, and for credits, not crystals.

"Arrow mod battles have pretty decent drop rates on speed primary for everything but the actual speed sets. A 1 dot Arrow with Speed Primary costs 97(ish) crystals from the mod store, whereas in the arrow battles in the Cantina, that is a Cantina Refresh that may or may not get a Speed Primary Arrow mod."

"Refresh the Mod Shipments area several times a day (it costs 15 crystals per refresh) to pan for good ones; it will be worth it. Usually, the gray or green speed arrows give good primary stats only but are cheaper, and Purple and yellows have a chance to score 15+."

Green, Purple, and Gold mods start out with more secondaries, and so have the chance of those secondaries themselves upgrading into even more speed mods.

I would not advocate that anymore. Credit crunch is seriously bad and you need a lot of credits to train your entire roster. Spending almost 4m to buy a lottery ticket to a good mod is not the optimal way imo. You can buy a couple 5* Speed Arrows but refrain from going on a shopping spree in the mod shop.
    Mods now also have a 100% drop rate from cantina. And you also won't see that many good mods in the mod shop till you've cleared Health and Defense mods Tier 3.
  • @Huatimus, Thanks, I will keep that in mind, friend!

On another note, my first Ever Tank Raid Rewards are here!

[img][/img]BmzwhDY.jpg

As you can see from the "Fleet Awards" included there, Today I entered the Fleet Arena for the first time other than just the occasional one-time challenge by Jabba, in the "Challenges" area.

Yess they have now given me the key to the Executive "Fleet Room", and I can now lose battles to better Fleets at my leisure... :)
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Some more research here, that I am Sure will help other New Players in the game, this time on Health, Protection, Armor, and what that all means. I have paraphrased when necessary, in order to simplify;
    Health, Armor, and Protection Mods

"Armor, expressed as a percentage value, mitigates incoming damage – if you have, say, 10% armor, you only take 90% of any incoming damage.

So, Armor reduces the damage we take, and Health and Protection both determine how much we can take, so we put them together to find out how much damage is taken in total.

The equation we need for this is (HP+Prot)/(1-Armor). In other words, we need to add our health and protection to give us our total health pool, reverse our armor value (expressed as a decimal) to get our damage taken, and then divide our health pool by damage taken.

Our example is a Shoretrooper, with stats of 33,888 health, 60,573 protection, and 37.59% armor – so (HP+Prot)/(1-Armor) becomes (33,888+60,573)/(1-0.3759).

That leaves (94,461)/(0.6241), leaving us to divide, finishing with an effective health pool of 151,307. This then is how much damage is needed to kill this Shoretrooper, and doesn’t consider any healing.

But even though Protection is by far the best defensive stat on mods when it comes to primaries, because the percent increase is so much higher, just like with offensive stats, defense is worth more as prot/hp goes up, and vice versa, so it’s worth checking for secondaries."

References: (http://gaming-fans.com/2017/02/swgoh-a-look-at-defensive-stats-health-protection-defense/)

• @Sunnie1978 are you trying to tell me something; have I been using terms and acronyms erroneously?
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Nope, this will help as people give you advice. A lot of the veteran players use acronyms all the time, which can be confusing to newer players. :)
  • @Sunnie1978, see. Thank you. While a lot of these I have had to figure out because as you say, I have been pretty barraged by them since I started here, a whole Lot I still did not know or might in some cases have even misinterpreted.

Thank you so much for preventing that from happening in the future.. :)
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I know that at Midnight the Cantina and the Light and Dark Battles reset so that a refresh only costs me 50 Crystals, right?

I forget, do they only reset Once per day?