Too little information -> we cannot make informed decisions -> frustrations

SWGoH is a competitive game where you HAVE to plan month if not ½ year ahead, it takes that long to farm lots of toons. But we lack the information to make informed choices. I have no problems with the game forcing me to make hard choices as long as I have the needed information: do I zeta Finn or Rey?

Case in point: Hermit Yoda vs. Wampa.

The devs have told us, that at some point we will need Hermit Yoda for something (Jedi Luke seems likely). But we have NO information as to when. Hermit Yoda en great, but Wampa is fantastic.

So how do one choose between these 2 toons? Answer: You don't (at least I don't). In board games we use the term analysis paralysis. It's not a good thing.

The reason I chose this example is, that I do not understand the reasoning behind it. There will not be a Hermit Yoda pack (Like there never was with Raid Han or GK), so money is not the driving factor.

I do have a theory though. It has to do with "August". GC burned their fingers with the announcement of AAT coming on a specific time. Since then, the NEVER tell us anything concrete that is more than 2 weeks ahead. But please, please revise that strategy. Give us concrete information and then make the time a target, like "players will need Hermit Yoda for an event that we currently aim for will run June/Juli 2018". Besides, if we look at the toons that have been released (and the reworks) in the last ½-1 year it becomes WERY clear that the devs knows what they are doing and have plans a long time forward.

I except you hold information back to "force" players to panic farm, I have my personal opinions on whether it is a good idea, ethical, fair etc, but I don't think the spamfilter will let me elaborate though B).
But please try to help dedicated fans/players like me be less frustrated.

Replies

• C'mon, folks! That's a deal at twice the price!
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Gonna go with...

Moved to Feedback: Characters

Scratch that. moved to Feedback: General, this is more than just about character releases or events specifically. I can appreciate the conceptual feedback for user information to be able to plan ahead accordingly.
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Can you provide the link for the dev statement that will need Hermit Yoda?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    analysis paralysis seems like a you problem though, not necessarily a problem with the game. I'm not trying to offend you, it's just that it's pretty much the only thing i'm good at in this game, making choices and planning ahead.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    You don't have to plan months or years ahead to stay competitive, you just need to have a realistic definition of what it means to be competitive.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef wrote: »
    analysis paralysis seems like a you problem though, not necessarily a problem with the game. I'm not trying to offend you, it's just that it's pretty much the only thing i'm good at in this game, making choices and planning ahead.

No offence taken. Planning with no information is not really planning. It's educated guesses at best.
    Liath wrote: »

I'm not sure, think it was a game changer video with an interview with NotReallyAJedi?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

No offence taken. Planning with no information is not really planning. It's educated guesses at best.
    Liath wrote: »

I'm not sure, think it was a game changer video with an interview with NotReallyAJedi?

Hmm, I thought I watched all of them and don’t recall that.

Anyhow, limited information induces panic farms and wasting resources on bad decisions, and those things make them money. It’s pretty much a major foundation of the game. I have a hard time making decisions too, so I deal with this issue by hoarding resources so that I can work up what I need quickly when I need it. So far it’s worked out pretty well for me.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    leef wrote: »

I'll have to disagree. There's obviously information available and even without information you can plan ahead in order to be ready for whatever they can throw at us. Ofcourse it also involves a fair share of educated guesses, or even uneducated guesses, but end of the day there's a rather large difference between a player who plans ahead and a player who doesn't. Nothing that can't be overcome by throwing some money at the game though, so i agree with the point @Liath made.
    I also agree about hoarding, hoarding is key. Your analysis paralysis isn't necessarily a bad thing ;)
  • SWGoH is a competitive game where you HAVE to plan month if not ½ year ahead, it takes that long to farm lots of toons. But we lack the information to make informed choices. I have no problems with the game forcing me to make hard choices as long as I have the needed information: do I zeta Finn or Rey?

Case in point: Hermit Yoda vs. Wampa.

The devs have told us, that at some point we will need Hermit Yoda for something (Jedi Luke seems likely). But we have NO information as to when. Hermit Yoda en great, but Wampa is fantastic.

So how do one choose between these 2 toons? Answer: You don't (at least I don't). In board games we use the term analysis paralysis. It's not a good thing.

The reason I chose this example is, that I do not understand the reasoning behind it. There will not be a Hermit Yoda pack (Like there never was with Raid Han or GK), so money is not the driving factor.

I do have a theory though. It has to do with "August". GC burned their fingers with the announcement of AAT coming on a specific time. Since then, the NEVER tell us anything concrete that is more than 2 weeks ahead. But please, please revise that strategy. Give us concrete information and then make the time a target, like "players will need Hermit Yoda for an event that we currently aim for will run June/Juli 2018". Besides, if we look at the toons that have been released (and the reworks) in the last ½-1 year it becomes WERY clear that the devs knows what they are doing and have plans a long time forward.

I except you hold information back to "force" players to panic farm, I have my personal opinions on whether it is a good idea, ethical, fair etc, but I don't think the spamfilter will let me elaborate though B).
    But please try to help dedicated fans/players like me be less frustrated.

1. Earn guild event currency
    2. Don’t spend it immediately.

Having a “reserve” of all currency types is your best shield against any kind of panic farming that can be induced. Ya, Wampa is good...but is it really a game changer? Better to save up a nice stash of currency so that you have flexibility.
    Also, the longer you play, the easier your choices become. Every day you are closer and closer to having all characters at 7*.
  • I'm a dolphin, with most toons at 7* (except premium toons and Wampa+Hermit) from a nov. '16 shard. I finish in top 10-20 in arena every day, sometimes even at no. 1. And yes, I hoard, make guesses and so forth.

And I hear what you are saying above, it just doesnt change the way I feel whan playing the game. If I choose A over B, then I have a reason, and I prefer that reason being information and not unconfirmed rumours (*cough* Revan is coming and we all need to farm Sith Assassin and Trooper *cough*). We are all different, I just try to raise the voice of my minority. :)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm a dolphin, with most toons at 7* (except premium toons and Wampa+Hermit) from a nov. '16 shard. I finish in top 10-20 in arena every day, sometimes even at no. 1. And yes, I hoard, make guesses and so forth.

And I hear what you are saying above, it just doesnt change the way I feel whan playing the game. If I choose A over B, then I have a reason, and I prefer that reason being information and not unconfirmed rumours (*cough* Revan is coming and we all need to farm Sith Assassin and Trooper *cough*). We are all different, I just try to raise the voice of my minority. :)

I dislike those rumours/leaks with a passion. If you had put it that way, i would have agreed with right from the start. I actually enjoy speculation and a good thread about who or what is more likely to happen in the future, but those leaks spoiled the fun for me entirely. It was about who made the most sence, now it's about figuring out whether the one who's spreading the rumour is in the loop or not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The problem is how much time do you need for the "heads up" and the development cycle.

It doesn't always work out that they are on schedule with the development of a key feature and they can announce it. Even our "weekly updates" have some variability as to what's going to be in them. Trying to predict what will be on track in a month or 2 may be near impossible.

We are seeing them trying more than they have in the past to put good information out there and keep us in the loop on changes, but yes things fall through the cracks. I think we find out about things as best they can for the development cycle.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    The problem is how much time do you need for the "heads up" and the development cycle.

It doesn't always work out that they are on schedule with the development of a key feature and they can announce it. Even our "weekly updates" have some variability as to what's going to be in them. Trying to predict what will be on track in a month or 2 may be near impossible.

We are seeing them trying more than they have in the past to put good information out there and keep us in the loop on changes, but yes things fall through the cracks. I think we find out about things as best they can for the development cycle.

Thanx for the reply. :-)

It all comes down to how the information is presented. If tomorrow you wrote: "Jedi Luke is coming to the game on the 1st of August", then you would have to deliver him on that day. And I understand how that can be tricky/impossible.

Instead perhaps there could be 2 or 3 levels of information, example:
    • Certain (Everything is coded and tested): "Tomorrow we will release this and this pack"
    • Certain, but fluid in time (Not coded/finished, but firmly decided): "We aim for this and this to happen in 3 weeks time".
    • Planned: "You are going to need Hermit Yoda for a special event this summer, we cannot reveal the exact date yet, but it will not be before July 15."

(I'm not native English speaking and know nothing about communication, so I'm certain it could be written way better by professionals, I just hope you understand what I mean).

Then we have something more solid and can prioritize our farming. - and again, I'm not against hard choices, I just like informed choices ;)

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Thanx for the reply. :-)

It all comes down to how the information is presented. If tomorrow you wrote: "Jedi Luke is coming to the game on the 1st of August", then you would have to deliver him on that day. And I understand how that can be tricky/impossible.

Instead perhaps there could be 2 or 3 levels of information, example:
    • Certain (Everything is coded and tested): "Tomorrow we will release this and this pack"
    • Certain, but fluid in time (Not coded/finished, but firmly decided): "We aim for this and this to happen in 3 weeks time".
    • Planned: "You are going to need Hermit Yoda for a special event this summer, we cannot reveal the exact date yet, but it will not be before July 15."

(I'm not native English speaking and know nothing about communication, so I'm certain it could be written way better by professionals, I just hope you understand what I mean).

Then we have something more solid and can prioritize our farming. - and again, I'm not against hard choices, I just like informed choices ;)

The problem is that people don't really like that, if you say something will be here after this date, it then becomes a stream of posts saying they planned this and it's not happening, as we saw with AAT raid.

Things get to the point of tested fully, probably the same week they are released in some cases.

Then also things can go wrong and there is very little understanding about that.

So in the end, if they are quiet there is less backlash. Maybe not the best way to do it but until they are comfortable to release information, it's just a waiting game.

The best way to deal is hoard and plan and wait...
  • Fatzke
    705 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Kyno wrote: »
    Things get to the point of tested fully, probably the same week they are released in some cases.

Yeah, like they fully tested DSTB, no problems with it at all. :D