Dark side platoons need a big overhaul

Mzee
1777 posts Member
edited January 2018
Every time on the last 2 or 3 phases platoons becomes a real mess. We need tons of useful characters to be donated. I am talking 10-12 tie fighter pilots, Death Troopers, Krennics. Also need a bunch of the other useful empire characters. People in my guild are having to sacrifice their success in the combats too much by having to donate all these good characters to platoons. Meanwhile we hardly see any of the non-paywalled nightsisters, dark side droids, and Geonosians and bounty hunters. I am talking only 1 to 2 of those characters max. I don't even think we needed a single mob enforcer. This is not RNG since it has been this skewed every single time, and other guilds experience the same thing.

It makes sense lore-wise that empire characters particularly imperial troopers are so heavily bias in platoons, but since there are bounty hunter specific nodes then obviously lore is meaningless to the design.

It is annoying that we also need a good chunk of the newer characters that aren't farmable yet, but at least a good chunk of them seem to be left to platoons 5 and 6. My guild needed 5 whompas yesterday, but at least they were only in 2 platoons. People who spend a lot of money don't want to do so just to throw those characters in a platoon every time.

Please, fix your dark side platoons it is making one of the best parts of the game extremely aggravating. There are few dark side characters to begin with so stop skewing it even more.

Replies

• signed
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Today: 11 Tie Fighter Pilot, 12 Death Trooper, Shoretrooper 7, Krennic 10. Cad Baine: 1, Mob Enforcer 0, Nute Gunray 1, Zam Wessel 1, Tusken Shaman 0. The list continues with this trend.
  • The devs already said that any toon is fair game (unfortunately) and I feel your pain, my guild didn't event bother with platoons this phase because we'd only be able to complete 2.. and they weren't even in the same sections. We had 3 spirits, 3 talzins, 2 KRUs, 2 SF tie pilots and 4 wampa.

It stinks, we're not a top guild so alot of my guildies focus on gear from the events store.
  • Peer
    299 posts Member
    6 Thrawn, 6 Wampa, >10 TFP, Krennic, 5 Trooper Squads ... Talzins
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Bl4ckDe4th wrote: »
    @CG_Kozispoon
    Is that right, what Syrup_Chugger3 wrote there? You (or the devs or whoever) saif, that all toons are fair game? I mean Talzin, NS Spirit, Zombie, Wicket and the FO Executioner aren‘t even in shipments. Just using these toons for platoons is pretty discouraging.
    I think, we all have to agree, that finishing a mission in P6 is impossible without platoons. (If there is a team, that can make it, I really wanna see it. And not with crazy mods)
    These platoons aren‘t fun for anyone and make it seem a bit like you want to get rid of some of your player base. Fun is the only reason to play anything. If that’s missing, there no more reason play a game. I do not wanna say „Hey, you have to change that or I‘m gonna quit“, I just want you to give you an advice that this is a very frustrating part of the game.

correct any toons in game are fair game. we had a MT in phase 5.
  • I think what the OP here is having an issue with though isn't the P2W characters in platoons, but the way the platoons cheat to rob people of viable Empire units. There's often 2 platoon blocks that are almost exclusively Imperials and they just spam DK / DT / TFP and Tarkin over and over. It's rigged even for the characters that are not pay 2 win. No one has yet to see a platoon block that was Geo spam...Spy, SunFac, and Soldier needed in the boatloads for example.
  • Asking us to throw a character we paid real money for into platoons isn't a good idea. I would much rather use my Probe Droid than waste it in platoons. I paid to use it, not donate it. If the turnaround on characters going into platoons is going to be as fast as FOE, I doubt the whales are even going to try to keep up.
  • The problem is, there are 78 Light Side Characters vs 62 Dark Side Characters. So, for Light Side you have that much more capability to do combat missions as compared to DS. There are more healers, more buffers, etc., on LS side which is a definite need on DS.

We don't "feel" the harshness of platoons as much because there are that many more characters (times 50 guild members) to choose from as compared to DS. That's why you have platoon requirements for 10-15-20 TFPs or RGs or Snowtroopers as compared to LS.

If platoons were "4" for DS as compared to the "6" for LS, that would help immensely. But at the same time, it seems like DS later stages are made for the 'krakens' because even the team I used to unlock 7* R2 got wiped in round 1 of the last phase. (Partially due to the rebels getting to do the aerial attack 6 times, partially due to the cleanse, heal, buff, defense, retaliation, foresight, stealth abilities that snapped every other turn for rebels - Oh but its okay, just use TFP to ability block! Wait, you can't because we need 25 of him in platoons.....)

DS TB seems made for whales and krakens, especially when you have the Bounty Hunter missions that require heavily geared and modded BH to complete. (Hurry up with those new bounty hunters by the way)
  • Modulous wrote: »
    Asking us to throw a character we paid real money for into platoons isn't a good idea. I would much rather use my Probe Droid than waste it in platoons. I paid to use it, not donate it. If the turnaround on characters going into platoons is going to be as fast as FOE, I doubt the whales are even going to try to keep up.

Yes can't agree more - this is a terrible player experience. Why can't we still use platooned characters?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I think what the OP here is having an issue with though isn't the P2W characters in platoons, but the way the platoons cheat to rob people of viable Empire units. There's often 2 platoon blocks that are almost exclusively Imperials and they just spam DK / DT / TFP and Tarkin over and over. It's rigged even for the characters that are not pay 2 win. No one has yet to see a platoon block that was Geo spam...Spy, SunFac, and Soldier needed in the boatloads for example.

This. This past TB had 8-10 Troopers of each type required for platoons (Shore and DT) and not more than 2 of any Geo, Nute, NS, etc. This ratio is often the case - especially in the last two phases.

This is CLEARLY not balanced RNG. It's either direct platoon manipulation or weighted RNG - both with the intention of forcing 20% of the guild to break up one of the few DS teams capable of success. This will only be worse when guilds have unlocked IPD for the Phase 6 special mission and they need a 4th viable DS team.
    Post edited by Nikoms565 on
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Our phase 6: 4 pandas, 4 chumpas, 3 fosftp, yay.
  • Peer
    299 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I think what the OP here is having an issue with though isn't the P2W characters in platoons, but the way the platoons cheat to rob people of viable Empire units. There's often 2 platoon blocks that are almost exclusively Imperials and they just spam DK / DT / TFP and Tarkin over and over. It's rigged even for the characters that are not pay 2 win. No one has yet to see a platoon block that was Geo spam...Spy, SunFac, and Soldier needed in the boatloads for example.

This. This past TB had 8-10 Troopers of each type required for platoons (Shore and DT) and not more than 2 of any Geo, Nute, NS, etc. This ratio is often the case - especially in the last two phases.

This is CLEARLY not RNG.

I share your view but have to point out that they never said it was RNG.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

This is CLEARLY not balanced RNG. It's either direct platoon manipulation or weighted RNG - both with the intention of forcing 20% of the guild to break up one of the few DS teams capable of success. This will only be worse when guilds have unlocked IPD for the Phase 6 special mission and they need a 4th viable DS team.

Exactly this. It’s been made all to clear that the unfair platoon requirements are here to stay when it comes to the P2P characters like Talzin, KRU, FOE, etc. The only solution we were offered was “recruit players that have these characters”, so that should tell you all you need to know.
    But what can and needs to be addressed is the lack of diversity in the DS platoon pool. Where’s the genosian characters? Where are the nute gunrays? Where are the droids? Where are the lower tier characters like mob enforcer? This isn’t RNG and certainly doesn’t adhere to the “all toons are fair game” that we’ve been force fed. This needs balancing
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited January 2018

Yes, this is my main gripe with the platoons. People in my guild are sacrificing their progress in the combats to donate characters to platoons cause we need so many of the more useful empire characters, while we need very few of other characters in platoons. I'd like to see a more even number with the rest of the dark side characters. Light side platoons aren't weighted nearly as bias towards any specific characters.
  • Needs a more even distribution of characters. Or, really, get rid of platoons because it's [redacted] [redacted] mechanic since inception that no one likes and has just been shoved down our throats.
    Only because devs LOVE, and I mean, REALLY LOVE, Rebels is LS TB so easy - easy to the point that you can just ignore platoons if you want because you have several win-squads to chose from.
    NS is about as close to a win-squad as you get in DS TB - mainly because Old Zaka can survive the rebel strafe, and res the rest of the team and you can just continue business as usual. My fully Zeta'd Sith teams can't come close to matching NS performance in TB.
    And, of course, platoons want my NS there.... because... [redacted] mechanics.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • The platoons suck all the fun out of TBDS.

I like TBDS because it’s very difficult end game content but, it certainly isn’t fun when I can’t use my favourite characters because they’re all requested in platoons. It forces me to use geno blah, mob e, and a whackload of other toons largely ignored by the devs since they were released.

Being forced to use seriously underpowered squads (due to power creep) in attempts against awesome rebels that crush my best teams anyhow, makes me understand how much the devs don’t like the idea of me having fun while playing TBDS.

Yeah, not fun.
  • I don't really mind playing Geo, Sep or Tusken at DSTB, but make them viable at least.
    No need to be meta-shaking or super powerful, even just some medicore char released farmable (like cantina store or GW store) and have some synergy each other will be fine, like teh jawas (but jawas has more synergy with droids than themselves are another story...)
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Yeah, I don't understand their philosophy where they are very rigid on reworks. Why can't they just overhaul a bunch of toons at once to at least make them respectable, instead of a couple every month or two with a faction pass?

• This is still a relevant topic. You work so long and so hard to gring characters, but what does it matter? Every time you have to fill platoons with the characters you can't farm for free yet or that just became farmable. I'm sitting on a dozen of hard to farm characters, that I don't need for the platoons. Why would I even farm the characters that are needed now, when in a month, something new comes out that is needed? Nope...lost my interest in platoons, not fun anymore!
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    This thread's a year old so I am gonna close it. If you feel it might still be a relevant discussion to have you could start a new thread, but let's please try to refrain from necroposting in threads in the future.
This discussion has been closed.