Barriss Offee changes

Replies

• ewok wrote: »
    "Fundamentally, CG has demonstrated to all the paying players in the game (the players without whom the F2P players wouldn't even have a game to play in the first place) that it's unwise to continue spending, and that is a sure way to kill a Freemium game."

Sorry but you guys are the minority. For every 1000 of you guys spending 50-100 bucks to pay to win, there are the 100,000 people paying for 5 dollars dooku packs. Who do you think is more important to them? A mass of people who will pay a couple dollars, or the select few who are desperate for arena wins and arent creative enough to compete without paying.

I *am* one of the players who only bought a $5 pack so far. I spend about $15/month on HoDA, nothing terribly fancy but I'm exactly one of those masses you're talking about and would likely have spent a similar amount on SWGoH. And you know what? The Barris nerf killed any chance of my ever buying a SWGoH crystal package or subscription. I'm hardly the only one, either. The message sent to *every* paying player, from whales to minnows, was a very loud and clear "Don't spend on this game, we're going to f*** you over."
  • FakeRobbo wrote: »
    Reading this entire argument just gave me a headache, especially seeing as both sides have some very valid points. I seriously feel for the devs at CG and EA because they were only trying to do the right thing by the game and community by selling popular characters and then balancing them fairly. Good luck guys! :neutral:

However when they did this they did not play test well enough before releasing the update. If they need people to play test I'm sure that if they setup a public test server like what Diablo 3 has they would have loads of people who would help. Providing somebody 150 crystals per day to play a certain number of arena matches in such a server would both provide people with more things they are able to do in game each day, and provide more widespread play tests to ensure that when they release the new patch or the new character it will be balanced.
  • obiwan1011
    396 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    ewok wrote: »
    Like I said in previous posts, Barriss is manageable, but is by FAR the most annoying healer especially for a f2p sid team. "That's what EA offered and they paid real cash for it. Think about that. How would you feel if you paid for something (not just in this game), only to find out that you are not getting what you were told you were getting?". I would actually learn about the game before I shelled money out and realize that the game is going to make changes and have nerfs and buffs and that no character is safe. I dont believe for a second that you don't have barriss, you got **** barriss user written all over you.

Also unlike you I dont cry about characters being overpowered before a nerf or buff. I never peeped a word about Barriss being op before she got nerfed. Nor will I do it for any other character, I respect the dev's decision. Unlike you I dont pay to win due to not having the strats to compete. One of my f2p dps burst characters got heavily nerfed, guess what I'm going to do? Adapt, I'm not going to whine and complain about it. You paid to win and your character got nerfed, GG.

You clearly don't read people's posts, do you? Look at my very first statement: I do NOT own Barriss.

What Ravenclaw said is spot on (which is pretty much the same message as what I had wrote in another post before). This is not just about balancing an hero. This is not about adapting or being smart about how to play the game - as you seem to claim. I could care more or less whether Barriss gets nerfed or buffed because I do NOT own her and she is no longer the pain as she was when I was at a lower level and did not have access to heroes such as Old Daka and Luminara.

However, what EA has done with Barriss is sending a very wrong message to the people who paid real cash at the exchange of gaining advantage. You don't need to criticise their decison to pay to win. It's their choice. They paid for it. Then they should get an equal or similar value in return. Whether you admit it or not, they are the ones who are allowing people like you and me (as I would never pay $50 for a Barriss or £80 for a Kylo) to play this game. Someone has to pay the bill and if EA starts to turn them away with moves like this, we may not get the chance to play this game for long.

One last thing. I believe you mentioned in one of your posts about why people don't complain about the Resistance Trooper getting nerfed. Simple. No one paid for him.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    obiwan1011 wrote: »
    Like I said in previous posts, Barriss is manageable, but is by FAR the most annoying healer especially for a f2p sid team. "That's what EA offered and they paid real cash for it. Think about that. How would you feel if you paid for something (not just in this game), only to find out that you are not getting what you were told you were getting?". I would actually learn about the game before I shelled money out and realize that the game is going to make changes and have nerfs and buffs and that no character is safe. I dont believe for a second that you don't have barriss, you got **** barriss user written all over you.

Also unlike you I dont cry about characters being overpowered before a nerf or buff. I never peeped a word about Barriss being op before she got nerfed. Nor will I do it for any other character, I respect the dev's decision. Unlike you I dont pay to win due to not having the strats to compete. One of my f2p dps burst characters got heavily nerfed, guess what I'm going to do? Adapt, I'm not going to whine and complain about it. You paid to win and your character got nerfed, GG.

You clearly don't read people's posts, do you? Look at my very first statement: I do NOT own Barriss.

What Ravenclaw said is spot on (which is pretty much the same message as what I had wrote in another post before). This is not just about balancing an hero. This is not about adapting or being smart about how to play the game - as you seem to claim. I could care more or less whether Barriss gets nerfed or buffed because I do NOT own her and she is no longer the pain as she was when I was at a lower level and did not have access to heroes such as Old Daka and Luminara.

However, what EA has done with Barriss is sending a very wrong message to the people who paid real cash at the exchange of gaining advantage. You don't need to criticise their decison to pay to win. It's their choice. They paid for it. Then they should get an equal or similar value in return. Whether you admit it or not, they are the ones who are allowing people like you and me to play this game. Someone has to pay the bill and if EA starts to turn them away with moves like this, we may not get the chance to play this game for long.

I read your post, I'm just not buying it. NO one would be this upset about Barriss being nerfed unless they actually spent money. Like I said, people should LEARN ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE PURCHASING. It was a known fact that characters would be updated, before you make a purchase you need to realize that any character can be severly nerfed or buffed, respect the devs decision instead of crying.

And no, the people that allow f2p players to play the game are the 100,000 of people who pay 5 dollars or 10-20 dollars on crystal/dooku. Those are the majority, the people who spend heavy cahs are in the minority.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    "Fundamentally, CG has demonstrated to all the paying players in the game (the players without whom the F2P players wouldn't even have a game to play in the first place) that it's unwise to continue spending, and that is a sure way to kill a Freemium game."

Sorry but you guys are the minority. For every 1000 of you guys spending 50-100 bucks to pay to win, there are the 100,000 people paying for 5 dollars dooku packs. Who do you think is more important to them? A mass of people who will pay a couple dollars, or the select few who are desperate for arena wins and arent creative enough to compete without paying.

I *am* one of the players who only bought a $5 pack so far. I spend about $15/month on HoDA, nothing terribly fancy but I'm exactly one of those masses you're talking about and would likely have spent a similar amount on SWGoH. And you know what? The Barris nerf killed any chance of my ever buying a SWGoH crystal package or subscription. I'm hardly the only one, either. The message sent to *every* paying player, from whales to minnows, was a very loud and clear "Don't spend on this game, we're going to f*** you over."

Why would you stop buying crystals due to this? Did you not realize that any character can be nerfed or buffed at any point in time?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    NO one would be this upset about Barriss being nerfed unless they actually spent money.

Yes. And?
    Like I said, people should LEARN ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE PURCHASING.
    This comment doesn't become any less irrelevant when said in all-caps.
    People bought one thing, ended up with another. If the nerf had been mild and reasonable, people wouldn't be complaining this loudly.
    They took a dedicated healer with no other positive attributes and halved her healing ability. That is valid reason for complaint, period.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
    Why would you stop buying crystals due to this? Did you not realize that any character can be nerfed or buffed at any point in time?

If you don't understand by now, there's probably nothing I can say that will make you understand. Suffice it to say that it's not so much about whether balance changes will happen, as it is about how it happened and expectations this sets for the future.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member

If you don't understand by now, there's probably nothing I can say that will make you understand. Suffice it to say that it's not so much about whether balance changes will happen, as it is about how it happened and expectations this sets for the future.

So basically you paid to win, and you got screwed over.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    Qeltar wrote: »
    NO one would be this upset about Barriss being nerfed unless they actually spent money.

Yes. And?
    Like I said, people should LEARN ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE PURCHASING.
    This comment doesn't become any less irrelevant when said in all-caps.
    People bought one thing, ended up with another. If the nerf had been mild and reasonable, people wouldn't be complaining this loudly.
    They took a dedicated healer with no other positive attributes and halved her healing ability. That is valid reason for complaint, period.

What I'm saying is that it's all these Barriss users that are crying, and it's all these Barriss users claiming she wasnt op and other healers are much better. SO why dont you use those healers instead lmfao, barriss is awful right? I don't get you guys, read through this thread, you'll see barriss users talk about how other healers are so much better.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member

The people who "paid to win" are the ones who spent $1000 on chromium packs. Guess what? They aren't complaining about Barriss, because they aren't USING Barriss. And guess what? They aren't using Barriss because she was never that OP in the first place.
    This move doesn't "screw over" the real "P2W" players. It screws over those in the middle, who are willing to spend a little bit to save time and have more fun.. and to support the game in a reasonable manner.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    edited December 2015

The people who "paid to win" are the ones who spent $1000 on chromium packs. Guess what? They aren't complaining about Barriss, because they aren't USING Barriss. And guess what? They aren't using Barriss because she was never that OP in the first place.
    This move doesn't "screw over" the real "P2W" players. It screws over those in the middle, who are willing to spend a little bit to save time and have more fun.. and to support the game in a reasonable manner.

Spending a little is paying for the dooku pack. Spending over 60 dollars on a free app game to try and get your rank up is paying to win whether you want to admit it or not. You bought Barriss to gain an advantage over non paying players. You didnt Barriss becuase you were a fan boy of Barriss, you bought her because she's clearly the best healer in mid game, I'm not at end game so i can't comment on that. You got your moneys worth with her.

Like I said, you obviously don't get it. I'd have the same reaction if the devs had nerfed a key F2P unit to death and boosted a $100 unit to nigh-invulnerability, and many other paying players would too.
  • Ravenclaw78
    77 posts Member
    edited December 2015

This, exactly.
    Post edited by Hillsop on
  • ewok
    149 posts Member

Like I said, you obviously don't get it. I'd have the same reaction if the devs had nerfed a key F2P unit to death and boosted a $100 unit to nigh-invulnerability, and many other paying players would too.

But according to you barriss users, she's awful and not a key unit at all? I don't get you guys.
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Funny post, some people giving opinions and Ewok with half the posts using the same lines and ignoring the argument others make! I see a bright future here!
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Otar wrote: »
    Funny post, some people giving opinions and Ewok with half the posts using the same lines and ignoring the argument others make! I see a bright future here!

And you're the guy pretending like you didn't pay to win and ended up getting wrecked lmao. And by opinions you mean **** Barriss users complaining about the nerf, and at the same tiem talking about how bad Barriss was before and how other healers were far better. I wonder why they're complaining.
  • The same thing is happening in clash of clans they did an horrible update and now people want gem refund witch they are getting it,only they accounts are being closed.So i think the same thing should happen here if you want your packs refunded it would be ideal for you to get some punishing.After all you were placed first second or in top 100 in arena and you got the rewards for that and other things because you had a good team. You knew what you were getting into so why are you making this a big deal.Even the characters now witch are offered will in a 100$ pack will propably get buffed and some nerfed.Heck even sid will see a nerf,they are just letting people farm it up and then introduce a new character who is better and more powerful.But i dont mind this i play this game because i enjoy it and i didnt spend a dime on it and will prob never will knowing ea and their style.Still a company has to make earnings but how they do it and how good this reflects to the customers that's another topic.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    luter wrote: »
    The same thing is happening in clash of clans they did an horrible update and now people want gem refund witch they are getting it,only they accounts are being closed.So i think the same thing should happen here if you want your packs refunded it would be ideal for you to get some punishing.After all you were placed first second or in top 100 in arena and you got the rewards for that and other things because you had a good team. You knew what you were getting into so why are you making this a big deal.Even the characters now witch are offered will in a 100$ pack will propably get buffed and some nerfed.Heck even sid will see a nerf,they are just letting people farm it up and then introduce a new character who is better and more powerful.But i dont mind this i play this game because i enjoy it and i didnt spend a dime on it and will prob never will knowing ea and their style.Still a company has to make earnings but how they do it and how good this reflects to the customers that's another topic.

Exactly. Great post.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    The same thing is happening in clash of clans they did an horrible update and now people want gem refund witch they are getting it,only they accounts are being closed.So i think the same thing should happen here if you want your packs refunded it would be ideal for you to get some punishing.After all you were placed first second or in top 100 in arena and you got the rewards for that and other things because you had a good team. You knew what you were getting into so why are you making this a big deal.Even the characters now witch are offered will in a 100$ pack will propably get buffed and some nerfed.Heck even sid will see a nerf,they are just letting people farm it up and then introduce a new character who is better and more powerful.But i dont mind this i play this game because i enjoy it and i didnt spend a dime on it and will prob never will knowing ea and their style.Still a company has to make earnings but how they do it and how good this reflects to the customers that's another topic.

Exactly. Great post.

You few guys that are so proud to not "pay a dime" and are happy to see others get wronged are really coming off as incredibly rude. Why are you so happy to see people have something they purchased get reduced in value? And why do you not think that a customer that purchased something that was reduced in value by the company they purchased it from should get some kind of compensation? Also, why when the customer can't get any help from that company and goes to a 3rd party do you think it's good to shut down that customer's account? You and a few others have a lot of hate in you and it's pretty nasty to see it so passionately displayed on this forum...over a game.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member

Exactly. Great post.

You few guys that are so proud to not "pay a dime" and are happy to see others get wronged are really coming off as incredibly rude. Why are you so happy to see people have something they purchased get reduced in value? And why do you not think that a customer that purchased something that was reduced in value by the company they purchased it from should get some kind of compensation? Also, why when the customer can't get any help from that company and goes to a 3rd party do you think it's good to shut down that customer's account? You and a few others have a lot of hate in you and it's pretty nasty to see it so passionately displayed on this forum...over a game.

I'm not happy to see people get wronged, I'm just saying this was common sense, and I'm not the one who started being rude. If you go back to earlier posts it was all p2p people saying, oh if you have problems with barriss you dont have any strats or you're a noob etc. According to them barriss is useless but they're still having a hissy fit, if she's useless I wonder why they bought her, and why they're so upset she got nerfed.
  • obiwan1011
    396 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I read your post, I'm just not buying it. NO one would be this upset about Barriss being nerfed unless they actually spent money. Like I said, people should LEARN ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE PURCHASING. It was a known fact that characters would be updated, before you make a purchase you need to realize that any character can be severly nerfed or buffed, respect the devs decision instead of crying.

And no, the people that allow f2p players to play the game are the 100,000 of people who pay 5 dollars or 10-20 dollars on crystal/dooku. Those are the majority, the people who spend heavy cahs are in the minority.

As Ravenclaw mentioned, I should stop wasting my time to enlighten you, but you clearly don't understand how economy works. The rule of 20/80. Unlike what you would like to believe that it is the $5 spenders in mass that enables this game, it is actually the minor big spenders that pays the majority of the bill.

Let's do a quick math to help you understand. Let's just say the game currently has 1m players and has the following breakdown. I assumed big spenders as 1% of the population who buys all the packs and spends on crystals. Small spenders are those who just bought the Dooku pack and I assumed 40% of the population. Finally, there is a large population of F2P.

Category Population Avg. Spending Revenue

Get it? 1% of the population is providing more than 70% of the revenue.

If you still want to argue about this, why do think banks have tiered services and put so much care into their VIP customers? Because they bring in much more value to the bank than a large group of average people.

Qeltar has a very valid point as well (that true big spenders don't care about the Barriss nerf) and I can happily insert another segment - the Barriss spenders ($50) and show you how much impact they have to the bottom line.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    edited December 2015

As Ravenclaw mentioned, I should stop wasting my time to enlighten you, but you clearly don't understand how economy works. The rule of 20/80. Unlike what you would like to believe that it is the $5 spenders in mass that enables this game, it is actually the minor big spenders that pays the majority of the bill.

Let's do a quick math to help you understand. Let's just say the game currently has 1m players and has the following breakdown. I assumed big spenders as 1% of the population who buys all the packs and spends on crystals. Small spenders are those who just bought the Dooku pack and I assumed 40% of the population. Finally, there is a large population of F2P.

Category Population Avg. Spending Revenue

Get it? 1% of the population is providing more than 70% of the revenue.

If you still want to argue about this, why do think banks have tiered services and put so much care into their VIP customers? Because they bring in much more value to the bank than an average person.

Qeltar has a valid point as well (that true big spenders don't care) and I can happily insert another segment - the Barriss spenders ($50) and show you how much impact they have to the bottom line.

Except that you're completely making these stats up LOL.

Here are more accurate stats for you

BIg spenders 1000 $500 Revenue 500,000
    Mid range spenders 10,000 $100 Revenue 1million
    Crystal spenders 100,000 $20 Revenue 2 million
    Dooku spenders 200,000 $5 Revenue 1 million

Those are far more accurate
    Post edited by Hillsop on
  • Qeltar wrote: »

Most reasonable comment in this thread. Couldn't have said it better Qeltar. Now comes Ewok telling me how stupid I am. Yes I am a P2P!! Woot! Money money moneeeeyy, MONEY! And yes, it's a way more FUN game when you spend some money on it. Otherwise, it's ummm...BORING after the first few days. Let me sit here and wait for my energy to build back up. Man this is fun. Oh look, my chars suck and I died 20 times and now I'm out of energy. Oh boy, this is fun. Let me wait 6 hours until the next shipment. Now we're getting somewhere. Woohoo!

I don't care that I spent the money. And I certainly don't care if I pay to win, because there are always people willing to pay more. What's **** is buying an advertised product and having it changed not a day or two later, but three weeks later. Oh look a new iPhone. Buy iPhone, use iPhone, buy case, screen protector, apps etc. Three weeks later Apple downgrades the software because it's better than a flip phone. Sorry for the inconvenience. Have a nice day.

• ewok
    149 posts Member

Most reasonable comment in this thread. Couldn't have said it better Qeltar. Now comes Ewok telling me how stupid I am. Yes I am a P2P!! Woot! Money money moneeeeyy, MONEY! And yes, it's a way more FUN game when you spend some money on it. Otherwise, it's ummm...BORING after the first few days. Let me sit here and wait for my energy to build back up. Man this is fun. Oh look, my chars suck and I died 20 times and now I'm out of energy. Oh boy, this is fun. Let me wait 6 hours until the next shipment. Now we're getting somewhere. Woohoo!

I don't care that I spent the money. And I certainly don't care if I pay to win, because there are always people willing to pay more. What's **** is buying an advertised product and having it changed not a day or two later, but three weeks later. Oh look a new iPhone. Buy iPhone, use iPhone, buy case, screen protector, apps etc. Three weeks later Apple downgrades the software because it's better than a flip phone. Sorry for the inconvenience. Have a nice day.

How is it more boring LOL, it's far more buying paying to win. It's fun building up your own team from scratch and breaking the top 50. Yes I get you guys are extremely **** your broken character got nerfed, but I didnt peep a complaint before the nerf, and I didnt peep a complaint about the nerf of resistance troopers/pilot. Why cant you guys respect the devs decision?

Exactly. Great post.

I'm not happy to see people get wronged, I'm just saying this was common sense, and I'm not the one who started being rude. If you go back to earlier posts it was all p2p people saying, oh if you have problems with barriss you dont have any strats or you're a noob etc. According to them barriss is useless but they're still having a hissy fit, if she's useless I wonder why they bought her, and why they're so upset she got nerfed.

Because she was good early in the game's rollout at that time and people didn't have anything else built up. That's the oddity here - she wasn't OP once you had more toons and more developed toons. The non-F2P could just see that faster as they advanced faster with unlocking / building other stuff at a faster pace. This is not to say P2P are any smarter and it was probably articulated poorly by calling you a "noob" but that's what the perspective of the pay player was coming from. Barriss really started to pale in comparison to other toons and you could see stuff that was really good. Sleeper for example - Stormtrooper Han. That guy has a skill that if you don't have dispel will seem really OP. So to me it made no sense to target Dooku or Barriss as they were good, and yeah really good at an early point in the game given the rosters at that time, but in no way were they even like 1st / 2nd tier type toons that you feared.

My server is over 3 weeks old now and in the last few days she was already coming out of people's teams and leaderboards. She was just in 2/10 leaderboards. She served a very specific purpose and that was a great heal. Now she actually has a detrimental heal in many cases because while she can save one toon that is near death, the sacrifice part now is heavy. She's like Talia's heal but for the whole team. That heal was the only reason she was really playable and now she's probably 2nd / 3rd team or so. She'a a liability on offense and now her heal is just situational and can be a negative to the team as a whole. She's now not really a healer she's an equalizer, which penalizes the overall team to sacrifice the weakest toon. That is bad in GW for example as you want to buff your entire team as they have to go through a gauntlet...all 5 of them, not just one. So weakening others to save one guy is a negative. I often now have to fire Barriss's heal to bring up a wounded character and then fire JC's heal to get the team's overall health back up.

The other part he is they went REALLY heavy on the actual nerf itself. This was not babysteps...they just whacked the junk out of her and made no offsetting change.
  • Qeltar wrote: »

Guys, lots of great insights, but let's face it. It's not worth it. Not worth spending our time on a troll who likes to lash out at others.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Thanks.
    I understand the hostility towards those who pay for things in game. It seems unfair for people to be able to buy their way to higher power.
    The thing is.. even without microtransactions, there is no level playing field.
    Player A is a doctor with a family and has 3 hours per week to play a game. Player B is a high school student and has 30 hours per week to play the same game. Is this "fair"?
    In some ways, microtransactions actually level the field by providing a time/money tradeoff. But some folks think they are somehow superior because they choose to spend hours instead of dollars. Whatever.
    If Ewok considers me "pay to win" I don't really care. I aim for balance. I currently have $5,000 sitting in a Paypal account, I could spend all of it on this game right now and it would have no impact on my family other than ticking off my wife. ;) I choose to limit myself to $50-100 a month, because for me this is cheap entertainment. I took a cousin out to dinner last night and spent that.
    Anyway, none of this is directly relevant to Barriss. The issue is being sold one thing and ending up with another.
    And it's not just the pack. I actually spent some crystals to buy Barriss shards last week. That was essentially a waste.
    It's fine for them to make balance adjustments. But they should be in frequent and SUBTLE. These changes were not.
  • luter
    7 posts Member
    edited December 2015

'
    Wow i never said i was proud on anything nor do i hate anybody.What ea is doing is game balancing because a majority of players asked on this.I dont pay a dime because:A-I dont like ea as a company in general.B-I dont really spend money on games unless i find it that the game has potential at least in my poing of view.My point is no one forced you to buy anything and you should have known what you were getting into.Online games do the game balancing all the time.But tell me (put your self in my place as a f2p user) is it fair for others(f2p in general) that you bought barris(or other characters) you had fun with them climbing the arena being at least in top 100 and getting better rewards than others,and now you want refund but you'll still keep all thoose rewards you got in arena and doing missions other couldn't.It would only be fair if you got your refund and your characters that you unlocked in arena and a few other stuffs taken away.
  • ewok
    149 posts Member

Guys, lots of great insights, but let's face it. It's not worth it. Not worth spending our time on a troll who likes to lash out at others.

You're right it's not worth trying to convince **** like you who spent tons of money on this game, that it was completely fair and not a big deal that an op character got nerfed. Get over it.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    This forum desperately needs an "ignore" feature.
This discussion has been closed.