Are Phoenix arena viable between 60 - 80?

CountPookoo
189 posts Member
edited January 2018
So I’m really curious about Phoenix teams..between 60 - 80 are they viable in arena at this level vs classic rebels?

If yes,

1. Is it possible to run Sabine instead of Kanan or is Sabine just too squishy at this level?
2. vs Lando teams is Kanan a must? or can the combined dps of Ezra and Sabine beat STH TM wall?
3. For pure arena (before zetas) what is the best Phoenix squad? and why?

Replies

• Depends on how much you wanna invest in them. Back before Galactic War got nerfed (when it was extremely hard where you fought 4 or 5 MONSTER teams) I saw a fully maxed Phoenix team auto the entire thing.

So yeah, they CAN be viable for a lot of things. Depends on if you wanna drop Zetas and get them to Gear 12.

Wouldn't expect them to get to the top of any Arena though. At least not top 25.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • If u wanna rule the arena for couple months, invest on nightsister team.
  • CountPookoo
    189 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    RacerDejak wrote: »
    If u wanna rule the arena for couple months, invest on nightsister team.

Don’t Lando / STH teams stomp NS early to mid game? With NS only becoming viable after MT Zeta and Zombie’s Omega? I don’t see how NS can handle at least 3/4 waves of Lando..?

Pls correct me if I’m wrong.. :)
  • Don’t Lando / STH teams stomp NS early to mid game? With NS only becoming viable after MT Zeta and Zombie’s Omega? I don’t see how NS can handle at least 3/4 waves of Lando..?

I see people with 2* Zombies with hardly any power causing fits in Arena. You don't need to level up the zombie very much, let alone get her to omega level.

Lando is an excellent counter to NS though. Him and Biggs should be able to wreak havoc on them.
  • Lando is very squishy. NS can ressurect. So I think NS is slightly having the upper hand
  • CountPookoo
    189 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Lando is very squishy. NS can ressurect. So I think NS is slightly having the upper hand

Assuming you can get to Lando with STH and possibly OB protecting him. Also only dak can resurrect at lower levels reliably - sure MTs special can rez but only if u get a kill

• As far as Phoenix goes, no, do not sub Sabine or anyone else for Kanan. He is integral as his unique brings the counter attacks.

Whether they are viable or not at that level depends on your shard. In mine they would be destroyed in no time. I'm struggling to stay in the top 100 in mine with over 100K in power (RJT (G12), Zinn G11 - one piece from 12), BB8 (G12), CLS (G12) and Zylo (G12).

Sabine is not squishy to me; she usually lasts through the battles. I run Hera, Zeb, Sabine, Kanan and Ezra, but I don't run them in Arena. I know some people prefer Chopper, but I prefer the damage that Sabine hands out and her demolish can be pretty deadly. Her unique gives the entire squad +25%Crit Chance and +25%Crit Damage.

Chopper gives great boosts to protection and can assist when specials are used. However, Zeb also shares protection boosts (the main difference being that Chopper gives protection up when he takes damage). Chopper also shares a 15% of max health recovery at the start of each turn unique, so there is that too.

The difference in Chopper and Sabine is Defense/Offense to me. I go with offense because I feel like my Phoenix squad, without Chopper, has excellent survive-ability as they are.

Another thing to keep in mind that Phoenix Squad members are starting to get some love outside of the squad. I see a lot of Ezra's popping up on CLS teams in Arena, as well as Sabine's and Choppers too. Zeb, with his daze then stun, can also be a beast with his zeta.

Hope that helps some.
  • Lando is squishy for sure. Mine is almost G12 and he takes a beating at times (I may need to look at his mods though). Protecting him with STH is a fantastic idea. STH is an underrated toon, IMO.
  • RacerDejak wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more. Lvl 85 in my shard 5 out of 10 teams are NS, 4JTR ,and one CLS meta.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Against a lando team between 60-80 Kanan makes these teams a joke.

I faced a very fast lando Wiggs boba sth team recently and they were all dead from counter attacks before I got my first turn.

'Classic rebels' needs r2d2 (or chaze) for the ai to challenge a phoenix team(with kanan).

Before zeta the best phoenix team is defined by the most available phoenix team. Sabine is a single hard node farm. A luxury if you have her but not competition for the others.
  • I'm 60 and on my new shard phoenix feels like they start to fall off around the top 50 or so. I personally plan on finishing them up with 7* and g8/9, from there I'll just keep using them in the arena regardless of rank while I work on empire/FO. While it's tempting to work on an arena team I think focusing on events asap is much more beneficial in the long run.
  • So I’m really curious about Phoenix teams..between 60 - 80 are they viable in arena at this level vs classic rebels?

Not really. You might have some luck for a bit...but it won't last.

• ManuG
    131 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    So I’m really curious about Phoenix teams..between 60 - 80 are they viable in arena at this level vs classic rebels?

If yes,

1. Is it possible to run Sabine instead of Kanan or is Sabine just too squishy at this level?
    2. vs Lando teams is Kanan a must? or can the combined dps of Ezra and Sabine beat STH TM wall?

I'm lvl 56 with 60+ guys, stucked in rank #1-20 and my shard is full of Nix/NS squads, your shard has to be a miracle because I haven't seen a classic rebel squad yet in the top xD

1. Yes, specially against NS.

2. Yeah he is a must, I have cleaned several Lando/Boba teams because of Kannan unique.

3. I think this question is debatable. From my point of view, If I had Sabine (I'm farming her) I would replace her for Kannan or Zeb depending on the match. I have noticed that my phoenix team needs that boost of dmg she gives.
    Phoenix vs mirror it's annoying and boring, 80% of the matchs I finish in a draw because I don't have damage enough and sometimes I'm lucky enough and get some crits hits and win. Phoenix vs NS again depends on luck, there are many times where times run out because of Zombie + Acolyte stealth combo (Sabine is great here because her aoe) and others where I'm lucky and I get acolyte 1-2 turns without stealth and kill her.

So, I would say:

Phoenix vs mirror: Hera,Sabine,Ezra,Kannan,Zeb.
    Phoenix vs NS: Hera,Sabine,Ezra,Zeb, Chopper.
    Phoniex vs classic rebel: Hera,Ezra,Kannan,Chopper,Zeb.

P.S: I have been playing for a month and I can't wait to have my phoenix 7* and move into another arena squad, I'm so bored of phoenix lol
  • ManuG wrote: »

P.S: I have been playing for a month and I can't wait to have my phoenix 7* and move into another arena squad, I'm so bored of phoenix lol

This lol, useful but gradually fading and man that grind from 5-7 is killing me, and I'm too late for Palp this month at 7* and missed 5* Tharn by 2 days!?!
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member

Not really. You might have some luck for a bit...but it won't last.

73 is the point where phoenix start to struggle against classic rebels (though only if classic rebels has Wiggs and not too much aoe). It's where people who focused on wedge begins to get him at competitive gear and star.

I'm level 78 and I still run Phoenix and I can climb to 2nd in my shard but I have to pick my fights. I had planned to transition but I had to invest more in gear than I planned to get Thrawn without omegas.

Any team with lando and another aoe attacker is easy suicide through counter attack. R2d2 is a direct counter to Phoenix as you don't get many counter attacks.
  • It depends on what you want or are trying to do. If you want Thrawn 7*, then invest. If you want easy mode mod challenge, invest. If you want 7* Thrawn flagship, invest in them and the Ghost and Phantom.

As far as PVP you won’t get much 300 rank. CLS destroys Phoenix. JTR kills Phoenix.

Most common pvp team 1000-500 is Wiggs/Chaze Boba or Lando. The key is to have 188 speed or higher on Ezra, debuff Baze on open move and destroy Wedge, then Lando/Boba, focus Baze dead then take out Biggs and finally Chirrut.

The next common team is Nihilus Lead, Palp, Vader, Maul, Dooku. Kill Palp opening attacks, stun Nihilus, focus down Vader, then Nih, Maul then Dooku.

If you Team is modded correctly and you have 2ndry with speed, you will do ok. But the AI can’t play Phoenix right so save you last PVP for a strong Def team so you are not pushed back to 1600 every day.
  • RacerDejak wrote: »

Don’t Lando / STH teams stomp NS early to mid game? With NS only becoming viable after MT Zeta and Zombie’s Omega? I don’t see how NS can handle at least 3/4 waves of Lando..?

No u are not wrong my friend. Yes aoe team can cripple them (at certain level). But when u're at lvl 85, ur NS team is the champion. U even won't see lando n friend bcause they can't reach top 50 at lvl 85. But ur NS absolutely can :grimace:
  • If you consider wiggs chaze classic rebels, there's no comparison.

I just downloaded the app on xmas day, bought a few chromiums to have a variety of heroes, and managed to unlock wiggs and chaze. I started arena with lando as 5th and held #1 about 75% of the time, coming in #2 occasionally when a phoenix team got lucky on AI taunts/evades at the past minute before payout. Eventually I switched to ezra 5th and have held #1 consistently since then.

Highest level on my shard is 75 (nix), our top 50 is about 75% nix, 10% wiggs chaze, 10% ns, 5% other.

Wiggs chaze will eat nix and ns like candy from 20-75 (not sure after 75, but I'm guessing nix will fall further behind post 75).
  • Phoenix won't last after level 80. Allegedly late-game with zetas they can be a top 20 team. I don't see that on my shard. All I see is NS, JTR, CLS, and the occasional Thrawn Empire team.

Totally viable in the 60 to 80 range until level 82 when everyone starts to get Wiggs-Chaze and Wiggs-Chaze-R2. Wiggs-Chaze-R2 will probably dominate your arena until everyone has been 85 for a little bit and has gotten the titans, a JTR resistance team, NS, or whatever the new meta will be in 3 months.
  • DistavioNi
    70 posts Member
    edited January 2018

If yes,

phoenix squad is good, you cant win only cls(l),rjt(l) and ofc Ns. i think best hera(l),zeb,chopper,kanan and ezra. vs gk,zarris 50/50.
  • Pheonix teams are viable in mature shards. So yes, they're viable below that as well :)
  • No, they're not viable at that level. They're viable with all of their Zetas but there's also better squads out there. Kanan's counter chance is really what make phenoix decent. I wouldn't put a squad together without them, especially if you're playing vs Lando.
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes Phoenix is viable, some individuals who put a lot of gears stayed in top 10~20 with ps at that level. However vast majority were ~50 or ~100 or even lower.

Problem with PS is not defense. It's not the easiest team to beat for sure.
    It's offense. It is really hard to win a PS vs PS in 5 minutes unless zetaed. I'd say it's impossible.

Against Wiggs Chaze R2 teams, you can do well,but it also depends on how well modded you and your opponent are.

The fact that there is a timeout team against phoenix (which is phoenix) limits its arena competency

Kanan is vital to the team so don't bench him. He is anti AOE and anti debuff except healing immunity.

Sabine is great, but before her zeta, her AOE is bit lackluster. Ezra hits hard with both specials. Ezra's zeta is less effective than Sabine's in arena though. So zeta Sabine>zeta Ezra>no zeta Ezra>no zeta Sabine in arena, imo.

Best PS team is
    pre omega:
    Hera, Ezra, Kanan, Sabine, Zeb. (more dps)
    Hera, Ezra, Kanan, Zeb, Chopper (more durable)

post omega:
    Hera, Ezra, Kanan, Chopper, Zeb
    Because Choppers assist can reduce cooldown

post zeta:
    Hera, Sabine, Ezra, Kanan, Zeb
  • catharsis478
    676 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I've started avoiding classic rebel teams lately, just because my Nix team isn't quite fast enough to beat the other guy to the punch and squishy enough (I'm still in G8 where I've got multiple teams running at least one toon in G11 in my shard) that I can't always survive the opening burst (and lack the damage to kill their Han right away with counters). I'll try if they don't have Han, or aren't running a tank entirely (I felt a little bad for that guy), but I'd rather pick on NS, Jedi, or FO teams (though at this point most of my shard is classic rebels and Nix teams).

Why in the world would you want to sub out Kanan? Sure, he's slow, but he's your taunt/debuff cleanse/heal on debuff/counter. If you want to use Sabine, then drop Chopper; if you cannot survive without Chopper, then don't use Sabine. Anecdotally, if I have to fight another Nix team, I'll fight one with Sabine before I'll fight one with Chopper--one less taunt/cleanse, and less overall survivability--and she's squishy enough that I'll sometimes take her down before Hera, depending on how stubborn the enemy Hera is to take down (usually stubborn).

You'll want Kanan against any team with a lot of AOE abilities--or just in general, think of that daze spread every time Zeb counters--unless you're specifically looking to avoid countering. I suppose that I could see how that would give you some breathing room against a classic rebel team that's managed to land ability block before you can pop Ezra or Chopper's cleanse against Han, and lack the damage to kill him before he feeds the rest of the team enough turn meter to nuke your team into oblivion. You could probably fix that with better mods and gear, but whatever works. No harm in experimenting.

You'll probably be a target for other teams during your cool down without Kanan, though.

Use what's available to you. The standard is Hera (L), Kanan, Ezra, Chopper, and Zeb. If you have Sabine and want to use her, then sub out Chopper for her. If you feel (or observe) that a more offensive Nix team holds rank better then keep that team, if you find that a more defensive/annoying-to-kill Nix team holds better, then keep using Chopper.

I would suppose it's down to what's most important to you, OP: chasing the meta and a high arena rank, or being prepared for as many other areas of the game as possible. Phoenix will give you one of these things, and it may not be the one you want. If you want a solid team that's ready for Thrawn, Palpatine, TB, TW, every rebel-required event, GW, and your LS content... then stick with Phoenix. It'll come with acknowledging that you're going to have a harder time in arena after level 70, and knowing that you'll fall harder and have to be both more stubborn and picky on your climb... but you can maintain a fairly decent rank (I'm happy as long as I'm over 200, but I'll sometimes try for double digits just because I can).

You're asking specifically about the level 60-80 range of the arena, and I'm not sure it's the wisest use of your resources to chase the meta. You've got a lot of things you'll want to be farming over a new arena team at this point (such as those dark side ships), so it really boils down to what's important to you.
  • @catharsis - thanks for the detailed response!