Could or couldn't care less

Prev1
AnonymousMeh
357 posts Member
edited February 2018
I usually hear people say "I could care less", but "I couldn't care less" makes more sense to me. The way I see it is saying that you could care less implies that you do care to some degree. I figured it would be interesting to post a poll in offtopic on this. Select the option that makes the most sense to you.

Could or couldn't care less 83 votes

I could care less
8% 7 votes
I couldn't care less
91% 76 votes

Replies

• Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    #BuffJedi
  • I personally use "I could care less" sometimes. Like when donating to other people in my guild who never donate back. :P
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Why is this even a question? One is correct, one is not (as used).
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Yeah. One is right, the other is not.
  • "Could care less" means you do care, at least a little.
  • Well... I could care less. But I don't.
  • It depends on exactly how it is used either one could be correct
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Darthpedro wrote: »
    It depends on exactly how it is used either one could be correct

That depends on what you consider "correct".
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • The phrase "I could care less" makes more sense to me. It is basically saying, "I could care less if you give me even the most minute/ insignificant reason to." Ironically, I just had a lengthy discussion about this yesterday in real life :D
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    The phrase "I could care less" makes more sense to me. It is basically saying, "I could care less if you give me even the most minute/ insignificant reason to." Ironically, I just had a lengthy discussion about this yesterday in real life :D

Ok.
  • Darthpedro wrote: »

No, not really. Regardless about what people think.

Yeah, I just opened up that can of worms too.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

For all intensive purposes, that's a mute point.
  • Snake2 wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

For all intensive purposes, that's a mute point.

I see what you did there.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    This is what I see when I look at it
    I could care less=you care to some extend
    I couldn't care less=you don't care at all
    But I'm not from an English speaking country, so there could be some unwritten rules about it
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Ztyle gets it better than most English speakers...

This is like a double negative in the regards that people use them incorrectly and don't even realize or care.

Grammar is important. Use it properly or people like me will not take anything you say with any weight.
  • Ztyle wrote: »
    But I'm not from an English speaking country, so there could be some unwritten rules about it

This is exactly true the correct phrase is based on how much someone actually cares which is a completely subjective measurement that can only be quantified by the person using the phrase therefore either could be correct under different circumstances
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Ztyle gets it better than most English speakers...

This is like a double negative in the regards that people use them incorrectly and don't even realize or care.

Grammar is important. Use it properly or people like me will not take anything you say with any weight.

Truth.

I see a post with a bunch of "u" and "ur" and I immediately check out.
  • And while we are at it, there is a letter O and a number zero. They are not interchangeable. One is a letter. One is a number.

And don't talk with food in your mouth, which should be closed while chewing anyway.

Do I need to explain the spoons and forks on the table too?

:p
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Ztyle wrote: »

This is exactly true the correct phrase is based on how much someone actually cares which is a completely subjective measurement that can only be quantified by the person using the phrase therefore either could be correct under different circumstances
    So would you also consider the following phrases correct?
    "The pot calling the kettle purple."
    "A dollar for you thoughts."
    "Barking up the wrong elevator."
    "Don't put all your sandwiches in one basket."

I suppose you could use the phrase "i could care less" if you don't want to indicate how much you actually care, or even indicate wich side you're leaning towards. Basically giving no information at all aside from that you do care about it to a certain, unknown degree.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I'm totally calling the kettle purple from now on.
  • c1ever_pun
    357 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    While either could be correct in a given situation, I think what we're talking about is people who say they could care less when they mean they don't care. Which in that situation would be incorrect, and they should say couldn't
  • I use both, it's situational depending on mood
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    If it's depending on mood you're doing it wrong.
  • Honestly, I couldn’t care less how y’all say it.
  • I could care less about the results of this poll, because I actually do care a little. It's a peeve of mine as well when people use "could care less" when they mean they don't care at all. But it's nothing to literally lose your head about.
  • I dunno. Sometimes it's dull here and it's fun to debate pointless things with a magnified sense of whether they matter. So, lose your head. It'll be fun. :p

giphy.gif
  • I'll just leave this here:

caring.png
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu

caring.png

giphy.gif

caring.png

Of all of things I have ever read in the 2+ years of being on these forums, this, sadly, is probably the most useful.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here:

caring.png

Of all of things I have ever read in the 2+ years of being on these forums, this, sadly, is probably the most useful.

Once again, graphics solve what a million words can't.

tumblr_m0j9ggJvXv1qzomcoo1_500-480x537.png