Replies

• Chagoth
    265 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Chagoth wrote: »
    Steven Spielberg only has one good movie to his name and it's called Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Duel, Close Encounters, Jaws, ET, Schindlers List, Jurassic Park, AI, Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can, etc

What's your point? None of those movies even remotely qualify as "good". Spielberg is a hack.

What dont you like about them? They all tell simple, original stories very effectively and efficiently, and have engaging, relatable, and unique characters. And while you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, you can’t exactly claim that “none of those movies even remotely qualify as "good"“ without explaining why despite them all being universally praised by audiences and critics alike.

"Universally praised?!?"

Good lord. Spielberg's films are maudlin and predictable with no hint of originality. His characters are cardboard and uninspiring. None of the characters in Jurassic Park, as an example, are three-dimensional. They were in the book. What happened? They are completely uninteresting, boring stereotypes. He makes safe movies that are either kid friendly or are about subjects that if you dare critique him on (Schindler's List), you are human slime.

Close Encounters is the worst movie ever made. Completely boring. At least bad movies are interesting. Encounters isn't even that. His movies lack any subtext, any level of sophistication. The only reason Raiders is good is because he was given restrictions because of how poorly 3rd Kind came out. Spielberg had a limited budget and limited time in which to film Raiders. When reigned in, Spielberg cannot let his artsy, fartsy nonsense take over. He has tremendous talent. He's a great quarterback who has had terrible coaches. His movies do not stand the test of time. While most of his films aren't the complete crapfest 3rd Kind is, they aren't exactly gold, either.

It ain't my fault his films are popular. People have notoriously bad taste. As an example, I actually like War of the Worlds.

To any other director, "kid friendly" is an epithet of the most insulting kind. But when used to describe Spielberg it's somehow okay?

It's just my opinion, though, but I cannot watch any Spielberg film except for Raiders which is, admittedly, the best movie ever made.

Lucas and Spielberg are kind of the same guy. But at least people know Lucas is a terrible director.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Sorry but I have to agree with @DatBoi on this one (see we can agree, lol)

What was wrong with Jaws? It is an amazing movie! I still watch Jaws over and over.

Raiders was awesome and so was all the others (except Crystals Skull).

I have to say - like Lucas, Spielberg has lost his edge. Although his original movies (that @Datboi has already listed) were truly great movies - what really has he done lately that has shook the movie world?

I do agree, though is considered a classic, Encounters was a boring movie. But all the others are just fantastic. Yes Jurassic Park characters fell short compared to the book but most movies do fall short when compared to the book versions - there are hundreds I could list right now, but are all still considered amazing movies, Jurassic Park is one of them. Jurassic Park brought special effects tot he next level. I am not saying I loved Jurassic purely because of its effects - it was a great story and idea, that yes the book told, perhaps better, more viewers were able to share that story, who perhaps otherwise tend not to read.

Jackson did an amazing job with his Lord of the Rings trilogy, leaving out all the pointless stuff the book spent several chapters on.

However he too fell short with his version of the Hobbit - I don't hate it, I just wish he told it like it was in the book. Trying to split 1 book into 3 movies begs for extra content and I think his "extra content" (especially in the extended versions) was a bit of a miss, but overall still good movies in my opinion.

So what is your hate for Jaws? or Schindler's List - are you saying you are afraid to say Schindler's was a bad movie and why? Do you not like black and white movies? or subtitles? boo hoo.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    Raiders
    Last Crusade
    Temple of Doom
    Crystal Skull

I loved the first 3 movies in this order but was greatly disappointed by the 4th installment.

With proof that God exists with the Arc and also the Holy Grail it was sad to see the series take a dive along the lines of Aliens in the Crystal Skull.

I hated the crystal skull for more reasons than that though - added Marion from Raiders just for Nostalgia and then made Indy have a kid with her - who I felt constantly played tug of war with Indy to gain audience popularity the entire movie.

I am sure the goal of the studio was to have Shia LaBeouf replace Ford going forward but as we all know LaBeouf's career got derailed, so that ain't gonna happen, nor would I for one want it to.

I cannot recall Indy ever using his pistol at all the entire movie. He whips it out a couple of times and I think he shoots in the air - but this is Indiana Jones, an adventure movie, not some PC movie where use of a gun in (essentially) a childrens movie is considered violent - especially when people are being eaten alive by bugs.

Talking of Whip - he only uses he famous whip twice (to swing onto the truck/jeep in the beginning sequence and at the end to whip onto his "friend" at the end). Sorry, but Indy is known for his revolver and bull whip which were both sadly lacking in this movie.

Crystal skull was like a cheap version of the National Treasure movies (which were better) mixed with the cheesey Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies - only stealing the INdiana Jones platform to launch it.

Now Ford is decidedly too old - we are getting a Han Solo movie this year. A young Han Solo - which is weird because Han was young enough in A New Hope, and the new movie's Han looks nothing like Han from ANH.

Further more we are getting a back story on a character we already know about his past - yet SNoke remains a mystery????

Getting back to topic - who will play Indiana Jones? Personally I think they should just leave the franchise of Indiana Jones well alone for it to stand the test of time of being the greatest action/adventure series ever - a classic in its own time.

Rant over

As for Indy games - the best INdiana Jones game EVER was The Emperor's Tomb (released on PS2 and Xbox - playable on the Xbox 360 as backwards compatible and hope it comes to Xbone).

This game had it all - amazing story!, jungles, tombs, puzzles, love interest, ferocious animals (crocs and sharks), Na.Z1s, Chines warriors, whip could swing, take enemies to ground and whip objects out of hands, gun, brawl (including environment objects) and Indy's humorous whit. Not to mention he could lose his hat in a fight and then at the end pick it up and put it on his head - CLASSIC!

Then they made Staff of Kings (PS2 and WII - this was supposed to be available on 360 but that version was scrapped).

Staff of Kings was not as enjoyable as Emperor's Tomb but was still really good. Sadly they decided to cut funding of the game so it was only released on PS2 (at which time was a dying console), WII (controls were just awful beyond word) and was cancelled from the XB360 platform - which would have been its best version most likely - very disappointing.

Others to mention are Adventures of Indiana Jones, Fade of Atlantis etc etc. But I'd say Emperors Tomb was simply an amazing game that any Indy fan would sincerely love from beginning to end.

I member playing the LEGO Indiana Jones and Star Wars games when I was younger. Ah, the memories

Find Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - you'd love it. It must be available on Steam or something.

I don’t have steam, I’m very busy during this stage of my lide, I only go on forums off topic and general discussion and play GOH during my free time

Me too, I have some time at home for BF2, Far Cry Primal and Skyrim, but my first born will be arriving in April - party over, lol

Aw! Congrats man! Hopefully he’ll/ she'll be another member of the Star Wars Fandom. If the baby is a girl, dress her up as Leia, not Rey. I see too many 5 year old girls as Rey.

Thanks for that!

Little boy expected! I just hope he will enjoy star wars as much as I have - that is if Disney doesn't continue ruining it, lol
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Steven Spielberg only has one good movie to his name and it's called Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Duel, Close Encounters, Jaws, ET, Schindlers List, Jurassic Park, AI, Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can, etc

What's your point? None of those movies even remotely qualify as "good". Spielberg is a hack.

What dont you like about them? They all tell simple, original stories very effectively and efficiently, and have engaging, relatable, and unique characters. And while you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, you can’t exactly claim that “none of those movies even remotely qualify as "good"“ without explaining why despite them all being universally praised by audiences and critics alike.

"Universally praised?!?"

Good lord. Spielberg's films are maudlin and predictable with no hint of originality. His characters are cardboard and uninspiring. None of the characters in Jurassic Park, as an example, are three-dimensional. They were in the book. What happened? They are completely uninteresting, boring stereotypes. He makes safe movies that are either kid friendly or are about subjects that if you dare critique him on (Schindler's List), you are human slime.

Close Encounters is the worst movie ever made. Completely boring. At least bad movies are interesting. Encounters isn't even that. His movies lack any subtext, any level of sophistication. The only reason Raiders is good is because he was given restrictions because of how poorly 3rd Kind came out. Spielberg had a limited budget and limited time in which to film Raiders. When reigned in, Spielberg cannot let his artsy, fartsy nonsense take over. He has tremendous talent. He's a great quarterback who has had terrible coaches. His movies do not stand the test of time. While most of his films aren't the complete crapfest 3rd Kind is, they aren't exactly gold, either.

It ain't my fault his films are popular. People have notoriously bad taste. As an example, I actually like War of the Worlds.

To any other director, "kid friendly" is an epithet of the most insulting kind. But when used to describe Spielberg it's somehow okay?

It's just my opinion, though, but I cannot watch any Spielberg film except for Raiders which is, admittedly, the best movie ever made.

Lucas and Spielberg are kind of the same guy. But at least people know Lucas is a terrible director.

It’s interesting that you like Raiders and War of the Worlds but not films like Jurassic Park and Jaws. What Speilberg is best at (and will be remembered for) is taking simple stories and telling them very well and in a way that draws a lot of emotion. It’s difficult to watch many of his classically regarded films and not feel awe, triumph, empathetic, or adventurous. Some people call his films emotionally manipulative, but I consider that a compliment because he’s investing the viewers into the story. Sure, his characters are often simple, but that doesn’t make them bad. They’re still engaging and they service the story at hand.

I’m not trying to convince you to like him, but you can’t really deny his innovation in using filmmaking techniques to draw emotion from his audience.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Raiders
    Last Crusade
    Temple of Doom
    Crystal Skull

I loved the first 3 movies in this order but was greatly disappointed by the 4th installment.

With proof that God exists with the Arc and also the Holy Grail it was sad to see the series take a dive along the lines of Aliens in the Crystal Skull.

I hated the crystal skull for more reasons than that though - added Marion from Raiders just for Nostalgia and then made Indy have a kid with her - who I felt constantly played tug of war with Indy to gain audience popularity the entire movie.

I am sure the goal of the studio was to have Shia LaBeouf replace Ford going forward but as we all know LaBeouf's career got derailed, so that ain't gonna happen, nor would I for one want it to.

I cannot recall Indy ever using his pistol at all the entire movie. He whips it out a couple of times and I think he shoots in the air - but this is Indiana Jones, an adventure movie, not some PC movie where use of a gun in (essentially) a childrens movie is considered violent - especially when people are being eaten alive by bugs.

Talking of Whip - he only uses he famous whip twice (to swing onto the truck/jeep in the beginning sequence and at the end to whip onto his "friend" at the end). Sorry, but Indy is known for his revolver and bull whip which were both sadly lacking in this movie.

Crystal skull was like a cheap version of the National Treasure movies (which were better) mixed with the cheesey Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies - only stealing the INdiana Jones platform to launch it.

Now Ford is decidedly too old - we are getting a Han Solo movie this year. A young Han Solo - which is weird because Han was young enough in A New Hope, and the new movie's Han looks nothing like Han from ANH.

Further more we are getting a back story on a character we already know about his past - yet SNoke remains a mystery????

Getting back to topic - who will play Indiana Jones? Personally I think they should just leave the franchise of Indiana Jones well alone for it to stand the test of time of being the greatest action/adventure series ever - a classic in its own time.

Rant over

As for Indy games - the best INdiana Jones game EVER was The Emperor's Tomb (released on PS2 and Xbox - playable on the Xbox 360 as backwards compatible and hope it comes to Xbone).

This game had it all - amazing story!, jungles, tombs, puzzles, love interest, ferocious animals (crocs and sharks), Na.Z1s, Chines warriors, whip could swing, take enemies to ground and whip objects out of hands, gun, brawl (including environment objects) and Indy's humorous whit. Not to mention he could lose his hat in a fight and then at the end pick it up and put it on his head - CLASSIC!

Then they made Staff of Kings (PS2 and WII - this was supposed to be available on 360 but that version was scrapped).

Staff of Kings was not as enjoyable as Emperor's Tomb but was still really good. Sadly they decided to cut funding of the game so it was only released on PS2 (at which time was a dying console), WII (controls were just awful beyond word) and was cancelled from the XB360 platform - which would have been its best version most likely - very disappointing.

Others to mention are Adventures of Indiana Jones, Fade of Atlantis etc etc. But I'd say Emperors Tomb was simply an amazing game that any Indy fan would sincerely love from beginning to end.

I member playing the LEGO Indiana Jones and Star Wars games when I was younger. Ah, the memories

Find Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - you'd love it. It must be available on Steam or something.

I don’t have steam, I’m very busy during this stage of my lide, I only go on forums off topic and general discussion and play GOH during my free time

Me too, I have some time at home for BF2, Far Cry Primal and Skyrim, but my first born will be arriving in April - party over, lol

Aw! Congrats man! Hopefully he’ll/ she'll be another member of the Star Wars Fandom. If the baby is a girl, dress her up as Leia, not Rey. I see too many 5 year old girls as Rey.

Thanks for that!

Little boy expected! I just hope he will enjoy star wars as much as I have - that is if Disney doesn't continue ruining it, lol

Let’s hope Disney will appreciate the new star Wars fans and not just do things for the new generation.
  • Chagoth wrote: »

The point was those were considered good movies by nearly everyone. How'd you miss that? Have your opinion, but seeing as it's a silly opinion, I've elected to ignore it.

giphy.gif
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

The point was those were considered good movies by nearly everyone. How'd you miss that? Have your opinion, but seeing as it's a silly opinion, I've elected to ignore it.

giphy.gif

Avengers reference? Good one
  • DatBoi wrote: »

giphy.gif

Avengers reference? Good one

You know me, I have my moments.
  • I hope we get news on Indy 5 soon, I wonder if maybe after the release of Ready Player One? I can't imagine how we wouldn't get news with the release only two years away. I'd imagine the pre-production stage will be sometime this year.
  • Also posted my ranking before, but:

Temple Of Doom
    Raiders
    Crystal Skull
    Last Crusade

Highly unpopular, I know. Would be curious to see how others here arrange the series.
  • Doom
    Raiders
    Crusade

There wasn't a 4th movie... you can't convince me otherwise... there just wasn't.

They ought to use:

https://youtu.be/bba_wPdLxp4

Like they should have for the new han solo movie.
  • I hope we get news on Indy 5 soon, I wonder if maybe after the release of Ready Player One? I can't imagine how we wouldn't get news with the release only two years away. I'd imagine the pre-production stage will be sometime this year.

IF you die in the game you die for real!!!
  • t0neg0d wrote: »
    Doom
    Raiders
    Crusade

There wasn't a 4th movie... you can't convince me otherwise... there just wasn't.

A look on the IMDB page will show it's real ;)

IF you die in the game you die for real!!!

I haven't read the book, but the premise of that film's trailers make it clear. Totally off-topic, I know.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    t0neg0d wrote: »
    Doom
    Raiders
    Crusade

They ought to use:

https://youtu.be/bba_wPdLxp4

Like they should have for the new han solo movie.

Wow - he's good! needs to brush up on his lines, delivery and overall acting skill sbut he certainly fits the bill of a young Ford 100%!!!

Impressive...Most Impressive.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Good impression =/= good acting

I can do a decent Patrick Warbuton impression, but you aren't going to hear me on Family Guy any time soon
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Good impression =/= good acting

I can do a decent Patrick Warbuton impression, but you aren't going to hear me on Family Guy any time soon

But sometimes things are so bad, they become awesome?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JKE9UxLs404
  • Harrison can still do the basic acting scenes easily enough in Indy 5 but the action and stunt work will clearly have to be done by a younger double.
  • I feel like the Indiana Jones series is similar to many others in the aspect that the success and basis of future films was due purely to the success of the first. They follow the same formula (Indiana Jones recruits allies, one of them being his temporary love interest, and discovers a mythic treasure only for a supernatural event to occur) and the series, ever since the release of the first installment, seems to lack originality. I always question how far they are willing to go with the supernatural elements, because at first the series seemed primarily focused on religion, but then made a sharp turn to aliens; seemed kind of odd. I enjoy the movies, but I find myself confused at the logistics and supernatural boundaries of the franchise (which seem endless) while the creative boundaries seem consistently narrow. The acting and musical score is well done, however, and they are entertaining and memorable, to say the least.
  • At first I was definitely taken aback by the aliens in the fourth one but overtime they don't really seem that terribly out of place amidst everything else in the series.
  • Apparently Indy 5 is being eyed next by Spielberg for one of his next movies. Looks like we could be getting major news these coming months on it.

• What the hell is this?! I'm... I just... it was... I can't... what the hell is this??!
  • I think that was from an episode of the Young Indy TV show.
  • I think that was from an episode of the Young Indy TV show.

Yeah, Chronicles or somethin'. I should've written that so people weren't like 'What hell?'.
  • The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. That's indeed the name of the show.
  • I know I posted my ranking before, but:

TOD
    ROTLA
    KOTCS
    TLC

I like TLC but don't enjoy it as much as the others for some reason. Though I do go back and forth on it and KOTCS, sometimes.
  • From what I heard somewhere Chris pratt of guardians of the galaxy is supposed to be in the new indie movie. Not sure what role he'd play unless it's Indiana's son years after crystal skull but who knows. I don't think he'd be playing a new Dr Jones because you can only revamp so many old franchises before it gets annoying.
  • Chris Pratt was rumored as the new Indy a while back but I don't think he's officially gotten the role or anything. Personally I'd rather they just end the series on a good note with Indy 5.
  • For Indy 5 one thing I really hope they do is bring back the pulpy style of the first two movies. Last Crusade and Crystal Skull for some reason don't really have that pulpy feeling the first two do, which I think is part of what made them so special and unique.