SOLO Movie Teaser Discussion

Prev1
Figured we could get some good speculation going.

My first take was that it didn't really look like star wars to me, idk what it is, but it could if been any futuristic sci-fi movie. Obviously we see a few trademark SW things full and clear. But for a person that's never watched a whole star wars movie, I could see them not being sure. Has a very Rogue1 feel to it. Not sure what to think yet tbh.

Go find it on YouTube, but try watching it all the way through on MUTE one time. You will see what I mean. I always watch trailers on MUTE first time through to see if the actual movie captures me and not the killer soundtrack and sound effects they picked to engage you. Of course music plays a big part in the movie, but for a trailer it's just how I judge.

Thoughts?

(Also someone please agree with me that Gambino totally looks like a young saw Guerrera in his scene.)

Replies

• Options
    I don't know about Gambino but when I saw Han's hat all I could think about was Kyle Broflovski.

Warning: once seen, it cannot be unseen.
    2h2qfer.jpg
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    Well... I don't think it's supposed to capture the traditional themes of Star Wars. If you think about it, Han's youth was during a time when the jedi (traditional star wars theme) were in hiding and the Empire had established firm control of almost all the systems that were once part of the republic. Plus, they saturated all they controlled with propaganda that made it seem as if they had thwarted an overthrow of the government and had to increase military / police presence in order to preserve peace. The rebellion was just in its infancy and not well known.

His story is much more one of the internal conflict of wanting to achieve greatness and realizing the system is built around lies. After all, he's the original "DJ" but his character arc led him to joining the empire military, to smuggler / DJ, to rebellion hero. I'm super intrigued to see how they portray his origin.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Meh. A lot of grey. A lot of “I know what that is!!” type fan service. Surprisingly little humor.

At this point its hard to tell whether my apathy towards new sw teasers is because of the quality of the teaser, or due to the over saturation of sw media in the last 3 years.
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Meh. A lot of grey. A lot of “I know what that is!!” type fan service. Surprisingly little humor.

At this point its hard to tell whether my apathy towards new sw teasers is because of the quality of the teaser, or due to the over saturation of sw media in the last 3 years.

Apparently they fired the original directors because they were putting too much humor in it, among other reasons. I haven't been following it too closely though because it's just so hard to care
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options
    *question completely unrelated to quality of film* Who's the girl at 0:33?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7m-7EEI5vo
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    The full trailer is coming out tonight, so I'm going to reserve judgment until then. Teaser trailers are usually devoid of anything but visuals.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options

What actor? It's Emilia Clarke - plays Daenerys in GoT

IMDB says she'll be playing Kira
  • Rojas
    336 posts Member
    Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    The full trailer is coming out tonight, so I'm going to reserve judgment until then. Teaser trailers are usually devoid of anything but visuals.

already out this AM
  • Options
    Vex_Virus wrote: »

What actor? It's Emilia Clarke - plays Daenerys in GoT

IMDB says she'll be playing Kira

Oh. She looks so different with dark hair.
  • Options
    I'd be excited for this movie if they used a cgi Han Solo instead of an actor who can't act
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I keep trying to like the dude they have cast as Solo, but I cant - he just seems wrong.

The CGI (for me) worked really well for Tarkin and Leia in Rogue 1, but their scenes were quite minor - a main role as CGI young Han, may look a bitt poo for a whole entire movie.

But this Han doesn't seem right at all.

This guy looks more promising for sure, but would need to brush up on his lines and delivery:

https://youtu.be/bba_wPdLxp4

Why we got the actor we got is beyond me.
  • Options
    Boo wrote: »

Kathleen Kennedy
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I keep trying to like the dude they have cast as Solo, but I cant - he just seems wrong.

The CGI (for me) worked really well for Tarkin and Leia in Rogue 1, but their scenes were quite minor - a main role as CGI young Han, may look a bitt poo for a whole entire movie.

This guy looks more promising for sure, but would need to brush up on his lines and delivery:

There’s more to being an actor than just doing an impression
  • Options
    I dunno. I recognize Emilia Clarke's voice though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rnojpICudy4&feature=youtu.be

There’s more to being an actor than just doing an impression

Are you sure? :p

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CywJD13fujw
  • Options
    They should have used the kid from Baby Driver:

xbxtkw.jpg
    -Sun Tzu
  • Options

Of course you asked that lol.

I hope that Solo can be as good as Rogue One, but I doubt it would. Let’s hope Disney doesn’t screw this up...
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    If you liked Rogue One, you’ll probably like Solo
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options

This is a statement i can fully agree on. Just watching the trailer and making myself think "star wars". I get a certain rogue one vibe from it. Maybe it's the lack of Jedi and sith, but this looks like it could be a rogue two.
  • Options
    I haven’t been excited for this movie at all since hearing about it. Saw the super bowl teaser and wasn’t convinced at all. At this point I said I don’t even want to watch this movie. But then I saw the longer trailer the next day. And I think it convinced me. Actually thought it looked pretty good. Felt more Star Wars to me then that Marvel movie we got in December. Definitely more Rogue1 vibe so I’m actually looking forward to it now.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    @DarthApok

I also liked r1 (I assume you did too) however idk if I can do anymore movies that are like it. You know rebels, empire before anh. I just want to see something new. I'm tired of getting things that feed off of the OT story. We have now in recent years..
    - Rogue 1
    - star wars rebels
    - han solo
    - Maybe even an obi-wan movie.

Or maybe it's just that I don't care at all about Hans backstory. Why does he even need a backstory. I liked him just fine when all we know of his past is that he was just this cool smuggler guy with a wookie partner, chilling in the cantina.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mullato wrote: »

This is a statement i can fully agree on. Just watching the trailer and making myself think "star wars". I get a certain rogue one vibe from it. Maybe it's the lack of Jedi and sith, but this looks like it could be a rogue two.

Its the lack of color, personality, original dialogue, charisma, and fun.

At least the first Rogue One teaser had the decency to seem like a completely different movie than it ended up being (the teaser was for a spy thriller and the movie was plain action)

In fact, the movie is so ugly looking, there are “mud troopers” (cast members on imdb are credited as such)
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options

At least the first Rogue One teaser had the decency to seem like a completely different movie than it ended up being (the teaser was for a spy thriller and the movie was plain action)

In fact, the movie is so ugly looking, there are “mud troopers” (cast members on imdb are credited as such)

Haha. I agree on most points, however I enjoyed the stray away from the usual star wars movies we were used to seeing up until that point. Especially when TFA came out with the borrowed plot setup from the OT.

I liked the raw and gritty feeling the movie gave off. It was good at giving the impression that the conflict is taking it's toll on everyone. However I liked that once. I don't want it again.
    I.just.don't. Care. About a whole Han Solo movie. Especially a young, less experienced, less cool Han Solo.

- Prepare to see alot of him running through blaster fire barely making it (haha this is a comedic scene haha)

- The falcon will first show up on the screen in some epic way, to make fans excited to see it again. (Even tho it's been in 2/3 star wars movies so far.)

- Lando will look like a young saw guerrara (he does, just look)

- And lots more of firing blasters back and forth, flying the falcon, and seeing han communicate with chewbacca. (How does he know?)
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

Haha. I agree on most points, however I enjoyed the stray away from the usual star wars movies we were used to seeing up until that point. Especially when TFA came out with the borrowed plot setup from the OT.

I liked the raw and gritty feeling the movie gave off. It was good at giving the impression that the conflict is taking it's toll on everyone. However I liked that once. I don't want it again.
    I.just.don't. Care. About a whole Han Solo movie. Especially a young, less experienced, less cool Han Solo.

I’m glad Rogue One tried to do something different, but for me, instead of being “grounded and gritty”, the tone came off as bland and uninteresting as the characters and dialogue. If all of the characters had the amount of personality the robot did, I probably could have looked over the depressing aesthetic.

In the case of Solo, we have well established characters and Kasdan writing, so I’m hoping the characters will have some personality, but that teaser is soooooooo bland in presentation and tone, i can’t help but worry. And the dialogue used was so generic, I was waiting for someone to say, “The world’s changing.”
  • Spirit_of_Exar_Kun
    48 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    PSA: (for those who didnt already know, theres gotta be other booklovers around here somewhere :P) Han did already have a backstory. It explained everything, from how he understands Chewie, to his time in the imperial navy, how he met chewie, lando, the hutts, got the falcon, and explains when making the kessel run in under 12 parsecs is kindof a big kitten deal. It covers his while life until he is sitting in that cantina and luke and ben walk in. So im just over here like, you kittenheads at disney better not mess this up. Lol
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    PSA: (for those who didnt already know, theres gotta be other booklovers around here somewhere :P) Han did already have a backstory. It explained everything, from how he understands Chewie, to his time in the imperial navy, how he met chewie, lando, the hutts, got the falcon, and explains when making the kessel run in under 12 parsecs is kindof a big kitten deal. It covers his while life until he is sitting in that cantina and luke and ben walk in. So im just over here like, you kittenheads at disney better not mess this up. Lol

And I would of been fine without ever knowing any of this. I really think this movie is going to downplay his character for me. When I think of who han was before he joining the rebellion, I think of the first time we see him. Shooting greedo. That scene pretty much explained his backstory within a 2 minute scene. Makes you assume he is just a badA with an attitude. Who also happens to be an ace pilot.

Now we are gonna have some new actor guy portraying a younger version of the character we already know. I guarantee you everyone will find atleast 1 thing about the new han that they didn't like. You can't re-cast han man. It's just a dumb idea
  • Options

Of course you asked that lol.

I make no secrets of my interests. Movies need girls to be entertaining, that's just science. :p Color is a huge part of how I recognize faces, so hair color changes or colored contacts or even skin tone changes throw me off severely. Thought I knew from somewhere though. :)

giphy.gif
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Judging from the trailer, Han looks meh, Lando looks great, Moloch looks interesting. I kinda like how they are experimenting with different styles, it keeps the franchise from getting stale even if there can be missteps. Looking forward to a Star Wars Western movie.
  • Options
    Kessel Run? The Maw? Trailer looked alright in my opinion.
  • Options
    The movie looks fun. At first not happy about the actor who is playing Han Solo (I wanted Scott Eastwood) but then I realized no one measures up to Harrison Ford so why not? Glover looks great as Lando. This movie could be very fun.
  • Options
    The guy playing Han seems like he has as much charisma as a piece of wood.

If Emelia Clarke's character ends up being some sort of love interest this does not bode well as she isn't the modt expressive actor going around.

At this point Lando is the main point of interest for me. The rest I was a little underwhelmed with.