How to find great synergy

I am wondering as to how would one find which characters work well with their team. For example, my best 4 are Both Rens, Ahsoka, & Mace. I am looking for the final addition, and I can't figure which character I should try farming to add. I am along the lines of Lumi, Barriss, Grevious, Anakin, or the Wampa. However, I am open to any suggestions .
"Who deserves what, is irrelevant. What matters is... who has power."
- Grand Admiral Thrawn

Replies

• The biggest (but not only) factor in synergy depends on the leader of your squad so who are you planning to use in that position

Also if you create an account at swgoh.gg and sync it to your in game account and post a link we can see what you have to give better advice

Lastly Mace Windu absolutely sucks in the game and should not be in an arena team
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I am wondering as to how would one find which characters work well with their team. For example, my best 4 are Both Rens, Ahsoka, & Mace. I am looking for the final addition, and I can't figure which character I should try farming to add. I am along the lines of Lumi, Barriss, Grevious, Anakin, or the Wampa. However, I am open to any suggestions .

Easiest way to make a synergy team is to stick to one faction. Rebels help each other. Empires too. Jedis. Sith. Resistance. First Order. etc.

There are also some great leaders that combine all different factions. Rex, Boba Fett, Captain Phasma, etc. (Darth Sidious, Dooku, Clone wars chewie, Ig 88..etc are also eligible but not as popular or good. Rex is the best non-faction specific leader)

My suggestion for you is to use your unmasked Ren as lead, masked ren as teammate, and other 3 first order characters to fill the team.

Lumi, Windu, Grievous has no place in arena sadly. They are all bad. Anakin and Ahsoka has a marginal synergh between them but their viability falls out as early as level 70 or even earlier so no for them as well.

Barriss is very good when she gets zeta at level 82. But before that she is nothing. So no for her as well..

Wampa, however, is great in any team. If you can get him, I recommend him in your lineup!

Ps. One does not simply add a Jedi in the arena team. Unless it's General Kenobi or zetaed Barriss
  • A year old but probably still pretty relevant, because this -
    Easiest way to make a synergy team is to stick to one faction. Rebels help each other. Empires too. Jedis. Sith. Resistance. First Order. etc.
    - it's pretty simple...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLlINtG3W0

• Stick to one faction? Hmmm.... I'm not sure that's the best advice. Exactly how many teams in the top 50 of squad arena are composed of one faction? Not many. While it may be 'easiest' to find synergy with a single faction, it's rarely the best choice.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    When you are starting out and trying to build a good roster, sticking to 3 factions is the best choice. Rebels, Empire and Bounty Hunters should be first 3 for R2 CLS Thrawn EP and credit heists. Then probably FO for BB8 and resistance for Rey.

Just my opinion.
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Annerdone has a good point. so do other people who gave advices.

Better way yet could be to refer to meta report
    https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/
    and just copy their teams
    the site shows Rank 1 teams (teams that are used in arena by the people who have ranked 1st at their own reward payout time for the past 24 hours) , Rank 1-10 teams(same but who ranked 1~10), Rank 1-100 teams(again same but who ranked 1~100)

Copying to learn is a great way to start things.
    As time goes you will see how and why those meta teams work well and might be able to make your own creative synergy team. All meta teams were invented by somebody.
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Personal story.
    I started in August 2017, and had no much clue about this game for 1 month. I ranked at several thousands.
    But still I was googling around to look for best synergy team in the game. Back then I thought geonosians must be really good, because when I lost in a Lightside battle for the first time it was on a node of 3 stages all full of 6 geonosians. I looked 2 yr old posts, 1 yr old posts, lordskunk videos , which were all outdated....a lot. So I farmed Lumi which I regret a little bit.

One day I found some Youtubers like Ahnald, and then swgoh.gg, and then this forum. When I looked at the meta report for the first time it was filled with cls teams
    The top was CLS lead, Han solo, GK, Thrawn, R2

It was a team of 3 event characters (cls, r2, thrawn), and 2 raid characters. A mere mixture of all the obviously overpowered and hard earned characters back then.
    I realized I might not need to find the world's most delicately synergistic combi in this game.
    I started to follow the legendary event prep path.
    about 4 months later, here I am, with all of them: G12 CLS, G12 R2, G10 Han, G7 GK, G10 Thrawn

This team is not the best team anymore but I don't regret a bit investing in them. they are all good. each of them goes well with all kinds of teams
  • You got CLS and thrawn in 4 months? You must have spent a thousand dollars.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    AnnerDoon wrote: »
    Stick to one faction? Hmmm.... I'm not sure that's the best advice. Exactly how many teams in the top 50 of squad arena are composed of one faction? Not many. While it may be 'easiest' to find synergy with a single faction, it's rarely the best choice.

I agree.

However, it's clear to see the meta largely doesn't rely on synergy. So - if you are playing at the level of Arena meta - then no, it's not that important. BUT - for the majority who don't pay and will never be top 5 in Arena then synergy is absolutely invaluable.

Post edited by CoastalJames on
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    But in order to get the plug and play characters R2 CLS BB8 Thrawn EP, etc you have to focus on factions early. Its not optional.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    But in order to get the plug and play characters R2 CLS BB8 Thrawn EP, etc you have to focus on factions early. Its not optional.

Totally agree.
  • VonZant wrote: »

Early focus on certain factions... absolutely. But even focusing on factions won't guaranty any real synergy. Nor does it guaranty that the squad is even remotely good. As an extreme example.... focusing on the Rebel faction is broadly considered to be a good choice. However, using Lobot as the leader of your Rebels brings absolutely no Rebel synergy to the table unless you're also running the Rebel driods (Chopper, K-2SO, and R2-D2). And that just doesn't seem like a very good squad composition to me.

My point is, synergy can be a very good thing (the Wedge/Biggs synergy is just silly good... Phoenix basically doesn't function without the synergy of sharing their uniques... lots of other examples). But, monolithic single-faction synergy isn't necessarily the best path.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    AnnerDoon wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »

Early focus on certain factions... absolutely. But even focusing on factions won't guaranty any real synergy. Nor does it guaranty that the squad is even remotely good. As an extreme example.... focusing on the Rebel faction is broadly considered to be a good choice. However, using Lobot as the leader of your Rebels brings absolutely no Rebel synergy to the table unless you're also running the Rebel driods (Chopper, K-2SO, and R2-D2). And that just doesn't seem like a very good squad composition to me.

My point is, synergy can be a very good thing (the Wedge/Biggs synergy is just silly good... Phoenix basically doesn't function without the synergy of sharing their uniques... lots of other examples). But, monolithic single-faction synergy isn't necessarily the best path.

Obviously - synergy is not created solely but members of the same faction, rather by certain members that need to be in the same faction. It's not hard to figure out who these members are.

Synergy is obviously more than just "a very good thing", it is absolutely essential to the playing of the game. But, again obviously, anyone that thinks this means that good synergy is merely a result of members being from the same faction alone hasn't worked the game out yet.

Post edited by CoastalJames on
  • Synergy just is how well the individual characters work with each other. I generally run 2 attackers 1 support 2 tanks. As long as they work well together I don’t care what faction they are. It just so happens some of he best synergies are from the same faction. I run a complete Rogue One team and they buff each other up a ton to the point it’s hilarious.
  • It just so happens some of he best synergies are from the same faction.

Er...that's not an accident lol.