It's a tankless job....

I don't use tanks like Chewie (though I do use tanky toons like HK-47 and Savage Oppress). I find that Lobot or Ventress deal with them quite easily.

I'm at level 52 and dropped Chewie as soon as I got something better around level 20. Anyone else using a no-tank strategy care to share tactics?
Ally Code: 945-699-762

Replies

• You mean there's a strategy for using tanks that doesn't make them a waste of a slot? Tanks are too weak plenty of characters have tank hp pools and still outperform most tanks, like Sideous, decent hp and good self heal per kill, outlasts most tanks, so does Lumi.

Tanks need a serious overhaul to justify claiming a spot, like vastly better migration. Whenever Chewie taunts me, he's burned down before his taunt wears off.
  • I'm currently running Sid, Dooku, Luminara, Consular and IG-86, with a focus on single target burst to get a numbers advantage. Definitely not the perfect synergy but it's a simple strat to run on offense. On defense is terrible though.

I also run another team of IG-86, IG-88, Poggle, HK-47 and Luminara. Full on aggression, great against Jedi teams but even worse on defense.
  • I'm liking the droids so far (bought the pack), just need to build my 86 & 88 up a bit more, they see some service in GW when I rotate out the severely damaged toons until I can sub them back in for a heal.

We need a Droid healer, maybe a medical droid from Empire Strikes Back (that healed frozen, tauntaun encrusted Luke) or maybe R2D2. :)
  • Droid healer would be the GONK droid! He would exclusively heal droids : D

Can't say I fully agree with the topic though. There is definite use and strategy with a taunt. Could very easily save other important characters from being wiped
  • Droid healer would be the GONK droid! He would exclusively heal droids : D

Can't say I fully agree with the topic though. There is definite use and strategy with a taunt. Could very easily save other important characters from being wiped

From what I've seen on the forum, the tactic doesn't help much in end game for the current cap. I can't say I never use it, I'll occasionally pick up an ally Chewie if the situation calls for it, it's just not my usual strategy. I think people who rely on it too much are going to have to relearn a new strategy at higher levels. Chewie is too slow and doesn't have great dps.
  • Taunts in general go against what you want to do when you initiate a pvp match. On offense you always want the initiative, to dictate the battlefield, targeting who dies first or who gets ability blocked. Chewie and his taunt is a defensive and reactive maneuver which is directly opposite to what you want to be doing. And then on defense the ai will never use it at the right time, so he's not a good choice for the team in either situation.
  • The just added two legit tanks to the game people....
  • If you go droid, go full droid. With either HK or Lobot as leader (or Boba Fett for another hilarious 45% crit dmg) Your enemies will go bananas, i swear. :)
    Droid/critical synergies are insane. They once annihilated my lvl 60 20k+ team in less than 3 rounds because of all the crit chances and crit damages (post AoE nerf).
    Once fully leveled and geared, a straight droid team will kill anything in a blink of an eye. No need to heal anyone. And with Lobot for leader they gonna crit fast in the first round. For GW this means heavy casualties to your A-Team.
    If you ever face a straight Droid team, pray that you survive the first 1-2 rounds to kill IG-88 and IG-86.
  • They should use that midwife droid from EP3.
    The one who goes
    Ahhhhhhhhoooooooo
    Ahhhhhhhhoooooooo
    When Padme is giving birth. Then have that looping for the entire match.

But seriously, Padawan Anni?
    They probably don't want kids being killed, so make him a the episode 2 version for Droid heals.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • i'm lvl54 , use Chewie all the time in PvP/GW - i hover around #75 on the leaderboard.... do not plan to retire him anytime soon.
  • Update us in a week... still using chewy?
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • Taunts in general go against what you want to do when you initiate a pvp match. On offense you always want the initiative, to dictate the battlefield, targeting who dies first or who gets ability blocked. Chewie and his taunt is a defensive and reactive maneuver which is directly opposite to what you want to be doing. And then on defense the ai will never use it at the right time, so he's not a good choice for the team in either situation.

I agree, the best defense is a good offense, I like to take the initiative and go for the jugular and I just can't justify giving up a spot for a roll of **** carpet (sorry Chewie, ain't got no love)
    KidKafka wrote: »
    If you go droid, go full droid. With either HK or Lobot as leader (or Boba Fett for another hilarious 45% crit dmg) Your enemies will go bananas, i swear. :)
    Droid/critical synergies are insane. They once annihilated my lvl 60 20k+ team in less than 3 rounds because of all the crit chances and crit damages (post AoE nerf).
    Once fully leveled and geared, a straight droid team will kill anything in a blink of an eye. No need to heal anyone. And with Lobot for leader they gonna crit fast in the first round. For GW this means heavy casualties to your A-Team.
    If you ever face a straight Droid team, pray that you survive the first 1-2 rounds to kill IG-88 and IG-86.

That's my plan, I was lucky enough to get Lobot in a Bronzium drop early on and bought the droid pack, just been farming them slowly. I have 41 toons so I have to set priorities and I need to promote my Daka (another lucky Bronzium yesterday) to progress in PvE DS battles, I'm stuck on lvl 5 normal with the Jawas without a better DS healer than Talia.
    I'm usually making teens to mid 20's in PvP daily on my server (highest was 5th), punching well above my weight in power and levels. Today was 19th.

It's unfortunate that the biggest jump you can make now is 9 spots at a time in the rankings.
  • I'm running a 7/7 chewie and rank 1 at least half the week on my server. He's easy to farm, does decent damage and his taunt can carry me to my next heal a lot of the time. He's not the greatest character but for folks not getting the best pickups from packs or spending a whole lot, I think he's very viable.
  • Chewbacca provide 50 percent defense to the whole team. I think thats quite decent.
  • Yeah but someone explain to me how they can call a character a "tank" when he doesn't have a taunt. My poor 4* Mace is just hanging around as a subpar DPS with too many hit points.

Honestly I just wish they'd build more synergy between team members besides awful leader abilities that can easily be replaced. I'm already tired of this game due to a lack of variety in team building.
  • Stormtrooper Han is the true tank here with his 3 turn taunt but you need to get him fully geared and starred so he is not squishy.
  • Nah, the Droid healer definitely has to be Watto.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • CptKloss wrote: »
    i'm lvl54 , use Chewie all the time in PvP/GW - i hover around #75 on the leaderboard.... do not plan to retire him anytime soon.

I hiver in the top 10, and not a single opponet uses Chewy. I will grindnit some day, at 7 stars may be useful in defense, but generally at this level (and not at rank 75) slow chars with little dmg ensure at least 1 char diesnin first round. Many times you have to heal even during first round. Especially in PvP.

In GW, al level 60, Chewy will not last one single round. it can still be used, but one healer is usually better than 1 taunter.

Maybe Poe will be better, but so far unconvinced.
  • I saw a lot of chewies around lvl.100 Arena
    now with 50 i met damage>all like my team.
    The AI is so bad...i can win every fight
    Tank with taunt 1 or 2?because Han dies fast,is useless
    A lvl. 60 chewie with heal immunity dies in one round
    no place for tanks
  • I've been messing around with Poe in GW and he isn't geared yet (gear 4 I think) and he's underwhelming right now. He usually does after taunting unless a heal is ready and his expose doesn't proc often (may improve with ability training though)

Chewie does ok for me in GW when I use him, which isn't often. It's not that he dies or anything just that the dps loss is more noticeable.

For GW I kind of just build my tanking into the mix using Barriss in lead and high health characters or ones with their own mix of self healing. When I'm facing purple 60s we shall see how much that changes. I don't see any of the current tanks as worth it right now especially in arena pvp.