Old Ben's Taunt vs. CLS "Use the Force"

Just a quick question (this is NOT a bug report) - can someone explain why OB has his taunt dispelled, CLS debuffs with Buff Immunity for 2 turns, and yet Ben's 2nd taunt procs through buff immunity anyway? That doesn't make any sense to me - and it doesn't work like any other taunt in the game (i.e. no one else can taunt through BI) Was there an explanation that I missed somewhere along the way? Thanks (and @scuba - I'm sure you can break it down if no one else jumps in first). ;)
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    [...](this is NOT a bug report)[...]

zZIINGGGG

OT: i assume for the same reason it works like that with fracture. The re-taunt happens before the buff immu is applied.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • df2071e1084c273fe910863f1b2cfde86f938c161259d95e8fd0ee5d893b0c6f.jpg
  • So far it seems as though OB's taunt works different than any other taunt in the game "just cuz"?? Someone help me out here...
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Assuming it's zeta'd, it isn't like any other taunt, insofar as it is reinstated upon expiration. That would mean if you perform an action that clears buffs on him, the zeta responds by coming back for a turn. After that exchange is when any buffs are applied.
  • If I am to guess here, cls attacks removing the taunt, next the second taunt goes on, then buff immune would apply last.
    Im sure thats not all there is to it though since the second taunt gets applied through a fracture just the same.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    So far it seems as though OB's taunt works different than any other taunt in the game "just cuz"?? Someone help me out here...

His taunt zeta precede/nullify other abilities that can disable taunt. Whatever the ability is, OB taunt always win. Facture thrawn, cls use the force, dispell, they are count to remove 1x OB taunt, he still have another 1x taunt turn. Buff immunity can't prevent the second taunt. But it can prevent the first taunt
  • As far as I know, every buff and debuff is explained as being inflicted after the initial action, which is either a hit, or a heal (or mind trick swipe).
  • Because zetas.. And a nerf would rage people B)
  • What nerf? It's a zeta ability. If by nerf, you mean remove a zeta ability then sure, let's hope they don't just start removing zetas. I guess.
  • There was a long debate of the orders of operation in this thread, I would skim through this and see if it answers your question..
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/124641/character-strategy-obi-wan-kenobi-old-ben/p1
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    assuming my assumption was right, he re-taunts before the buff immu is applied.
    I wonder what happens if you put buff immu on a taunting old ben with cassian for example and dispel the taunt with QGJ/sun fac. He shouldn't regain taunt.
    Unfortunately GW is nerfed beyond believe, so i won't face a zeta ben any time soon to be able to test it.
    Save water, drink champagne!
    So far it seems as though OB's taunt works different than any other taunt in the game "just cuz"?? Someone help me out here...

Given that no other tank in the game has a taunt that comes back after the first one expires or is dispelled, then yes his taunt works differently than any other in the game - this is regardless of whether it should be sticking or not when dispelled as part of a buff immune application - it's already a unique taunt. So you can't really compare it with how other taunts work, because there isn't actually anything to compare it with.

From there then we just go down the path of order or application as noted by others.
  • leef wrote: »
    I wonder what happens if you put buff immu on a taunting old ben with cassian for example and dispel the taunt with QGJ/sun fac. He shouldn't regain taunt.
    Unfortunately GW is nerfed beyond believe, so i won't face a zeta ben any time soon to be able to test it.

Your right left. If you apply buff immunity to old Ben, then dispel with the next char, the second taunt does not apply.

The reason it APPEARS to apply thru fracture, or CLS special, is because it is reapplied the instant it is removed , BEFORE fracture, or buff immunity is applied.
  • Not a bug. And moved to Strategy.

This is WAI, it's the purpose of that zeta. If I recall how it was coded, the Taunt is in fact reapplied before the Buff Immunity is applied. Same for Thrawn's Fracture.
  • leef wrote: »

When I face a dual tank gk/obi, I Fracture gk and I apply shock to obi. This prevents the taunt at all. So shock (buff block) can kind of nullify the zeta.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Nebulous wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

When I face a dual tank gk/obi, I Fracture gk and I apply shock to obi. This prevents the taunt at all. So shock (buff block) can kind of nullify the zeta.

So shock blocks the buff, but buff block doesn't block the buff? A basic ability, but neither of the two special abilities?

Apparently RacerDejak's meme is the closest explanation to accurate....

I am legitimately sorry I asked, because this is making less and less sense.

• Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Basic as can be CLS uses use the force dispels all buffs at this point because obi wans taunt expired he re taunts then cls applies his debuffs specifically buff imunnity

What nebulous is saying I believe is that he is shocking obi wan before he taunts because if you apply shock or buff immunity before obi wan taunts he won't get the taunt buff so it can't reapply itself
  • Darthpedro wrote: »
    Basic as can be CLS uses use the force dispels all buffs at this point because obi wans taunt expired he re taunts then cls applies his debuffs specifically buff imunnity

What nebulous is saying I believe is that he is shocking obi wan before he taunts because if you apply shock or buff immunity before obi wan taunts he won't get the taunt buff so it can't reapply itself

I think I understand. But to be fair, that would have been so much easier to read if you had used punctuation. And yes, I am typing from my phone too. But I appreciate the effort.

All of that said, it still seems silly (and completely unlike any other buff behavior) that either fracture or Use the Force will atop the taunt initially, but not if it's already fired once. But whatever. I understand - I just think it is extremely inconsistent and isn't worded to reflect its functionality (the way things that "can't be resisted or evaded", etc. are)

Move this to feedback then. Because my feedback is that it's inconsistent and silly - even if it is WAI.

• Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited February 2018

So shock blocks the buff, but buff block doesn't block the buff? A basic ability, but neither of the two special abilities?

This is how cls's cleanse works:

Dispel
    Buff block
    Damage

This is how it interacts with obi zeta while taunting:

Dispel taunt/taunt reapplied
    Buff block
    Damage

If you had buff block BEFORE you dispel the taunt with cls, the taunt won't come back.
    Darthpedro wrote: »

I think I understand. But to be fair, that would have been so much easier to read if you had used punctuation. And yes, I am typing from my phone too. But I appreciate the effort.

All of that said, it still seems silly (and completely unlike any other buff behavior) that either fracture or Use the Force will atop the taunt initially, but not if it's already fired once. But whatever. I understand - I just think it is extremely inconsistent and isn't worded to reflect its functionality (the way things that "can't be resisted or evaded", etc. are)

Move this to feedback then. Because my feedback is that it's inconsistent and silly - even if it is WAI.

It's a direct counter to thrawns fracture. It's wai. It would be a complete waste of a zeta if it didn't work that way.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited February 2018

This is how cls's cleanse works:

Dispel
    Buff block
    Damage

This is how it interacts with obi zeta while taunting:

Dispel taunt/taunt reapplied
    Buff block
    Damage

If you had buff block BEFORE you dispel the taunt with cls, the taunt won't come back.

This is the simplest of it all about order of operations.
    BTW it also works like this for sith under zeta Maul lead (all have to be stealthed except b2), they can gain advantage and buff immunity/fracture at the same time. There are other scenarios I expect it will also happen but really haven't tested them.

Currently all abilities that dispel buffs dispel first before anything else happens. So if a character responds to losing a status effect that response will happen before the next step (appling bi/fracture)

• I do feel to prevent anymore threads like this they should add "this second taunt can not be prevented" to its description
  • Zombie961 wrote: »
    I do feel to prevent anymore threads like this they should add "this second taunt can not be prevented" to its description

But the 2nd taunt can be prevented. If you apply shock or buff block before you dispel his 1st taunt, it will prevent the reapplication.

So, for example:

Zeta Obi taunts.
    Ep applies shock to obi
    Dn dispels taunt

Shock prevents the 2nd taunt from applying again.
    Darthpedro wrote: »

It's not inconsistent or silly, just a way to keep everyone's strategy of fracturing/applying buff immunity to the tank and then going after the DPS doesn't work on every team comp.
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    my guess is because those abilities remove the buff first and then applies any kind of debuff.
    thing is ob retaunts as soon as he loses his taunt.
    So he is regaining taunt right after it is removed, even before any fracture or immunity is applied