Let's talk about Galactic War

Prev1
Am I the only one who misses the old Galactic war? It used to be a challenging area of the game where you could test your ideas for squads and see how they work. Now, my gear 8 Snowtrooper, who isn't well modded and doesn't even have all his omegas can 1 shot tanks on the the ither side with his basic.

I know the change was made due to complains about the time commitment required to finish it every day, but now it's a daily chore. And if a game becomes a chore, who is going to want to play?

So here's my suggestion. It's already announced that we will be able to sim through GW in the very near future. That can certainly help people who don't want to spend the time to do GW (doesn't matter if it's on a specific day or all the time). But let's bring back the challenge for the people who want to be challenged.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    yea, i also hope they bring back the old difficulty. It's probably too much to ask though.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Darth wrote: »
    No! After playing this for 2 straight yrs I want to finish it as fast as possible! The easier the better and I heard we’ll be able to sim the whole thing in like 2 seconds!!

If you're gonna sim it anyway, why do you care about the difficulty?
  • The real issue is that there is NO SHIP GW plus u need the gw to get shards to get gear pieces I think it's fine if the main 3 nodes ,6,9,12 were made a little harder that would feed everyone's appetite I guess
  • I think simming is too easy. A fast auto would be better. Your team would fight and then move on to the next node until they were dead. Then you put a new squad in and continue until completion.
  • They just need to balance it better. Make it easier for newer players and harder for older players, with the sim option as well. That makes everyone happy. Those that don’t want to spend the time can sim it, older players who want something difficult have the option to play through a harder version, and newer players don’t feel frustrated at the difficulty. For newer players it REALLY needs to be completable every day as it’s one of the main sources of character shards and daily credits. If you increase the difficulty across the board you’re going to lose newer players fast.
  • Would be Nice if you could chose hard or easy. Easy like the one we got now, can also be able to sim. And hard, better rewards but not able to sim and puts your roster to the test. Other mobile games have this.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Tommo11 wrote: »
    I think simming is too easy. A fast auto would be better. Your team would fight and then move on to the next node until they were dead. Then you put a new squad in and continue until completion.

the devs already confirmed that GW will become sim-able.
    Being able to auto the entire thing wouldn't do anything for me, i want to test out teams vs somewhat difficult teams. The most difficult teams i'm currently facing are still hilariously bad.
  • Its not fun to fight rank 1 char at the very last node everyday while you're sitting at rank 150ish.
    Maybe you're at higher rank and you are willing to try a new team comp, but for me, no.
  • Agree with the OP.

Make it as hard as it used to be so I can actually 'test' my squads as they get stronger.

And also allow the Sim function for the days when I really can't be stuffed.

For those that couldn't beat it when it was hard this would be sad, as they'll go back not being able to beat it again.
  • pinkfloyd
    76 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    GW sucks as it is right now, bring the old difficulty back!!
    IDK what's happening with CG, they listen to all those complainers and making the game not challenging and boring, GW is a joke, and Palpatine mythic event was also a bad joke, way too easy.
  • My complete Gilde say no
  • My complete Gilde say no
    Maybe your complete guild needs better gear and level... that's not our problem.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Why do i get the feeling that the people who disagree haven't actually bothered to read the OP? Is reading also too challenging?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »
    yea, i also hope they bring back the old difficulty. It's probably too much to ask though.

This.

Back to the old difficulty and simmable best of both worlds. Once you can beat it you can some it when you don't want to, but others who like it can play it.
  • It's a bit of who do you cater to. If you bring the old difficulty back then the older guys will be happy because they can still sim it if they can't be bothered but if you want to test out a team the option is there. However for the newer guys it then becomes a bit of a nightmare as they will struggle to get to the completion levels required to be able to sim it.

I feel trying to split gw dependant on how long you've been playing would be pretty difficult unless they put in multiple tiers for it but for it to remain relatively 'fair' any higher tier would either have to have rubbish rewards or none at all.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    @Shonkathonk
    from what i've read on the forum, the newer guys still have hard GW's. I've seen screenshots from sub lvl 80 guys facing more difficult opponents than i'm currently facing (i've been playing for 2years).
  • Agreed 100%. Bring back the challenge. If you don't want the challenge, just sim it.
  • leef wrote: »
    @Shonkathonk
    from what i've read on the forum, the newer guys still have hard GW's. I've seen screenshots from sub lvl 80 guys facing more difficult opponents than i'm currently facing (i've been playing for 2years).

I've also heard this but apparently it's meant to tail off as you get a bit more time into being lvl 85.
  • I thought we were getting the ability to test teams through a new mechanism... as many times as we want.

GW was never a good place to do this. It was the place you wasted 20+ mins running your zFinn resistance team & throwing your phone if you messed up & didn't retreat if you botched the last fight.

Why do we need old galactic war if we are getting a game mode to test teams?
  • t0neg0d wrote: »
    I thought we were getting the ability to test teams through a new mechanism... as many times as we want.

GW was never a good place to do this. It was the place you wasted 20+ mins running your zFinn resistance team & throwing your phone if you messed up & didn't retreat if you botched the last fight.

Why do we need old galactic war if we are getting a game mode to test teams?

No official source confirmed a game mode of this kind. It's something that's been asked, is something that's being speculated, but nothing's confirmed. And since it's going to be simable, what's the harm in having it challenging?
  • I think that multiple levels of difficulty in GW is fine, and simming is fine also. As someone who completes it now 95% of the time, I'm OK with whatever. (Not sure where the zVeers led, Imperial trooper all level 11 with end game worthy mods figures into node 11 last week came from).

But if there is to be multiple levels of difficulty, the rewards should not be higher for the hard level. If you want a place to "test" squads, there should not be a greater reward in the "test area", just because you have a killer roster. Having the best squads is rewarded with increased levels of PvP payout.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Why do i get the feeling that the people who disagree haven't actually bothered to read the OP? Is reading also too challenging?

Welcome to the forums! :p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Agreed on bringing back the old difficulty levels. Like Goodgil, being able to experiment teams against the current trend of arena teams that we used to encounter at 11th or 12th node will only make players more knowledgeable.
  • Spang
    286 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Goodgil wrote: »
    Am I the only one who misses the old Galactic war? It used to be a challenging area of the game where you could test your ideas for squads and see how they work. Now, my gear 8 Snowtrooper, who isn't well modded and doesn't even have all his omegas can 1 shot tanks on the the ither side with his basic.

I know the change was made due to complains about the time commitment required to finish it every day, but now it's a daily chore. And if a game becomes a chore, who is going to want to play?

So here's my suggestion. It's already announced that we will be able to sim through GW in the very near future. That can certainly help people who don't want to spend the time to do GW (doesn't matter if it's on a specific day or all the time). But let's bring back the challenge for the people who want to be challenged.

TL;DR: Yeah, bring back the challenge together with the possibility of simming.

In detail:
    I didn't like old GW, 'coz it was just too hard for the rewards, which were just really not worth all the frustration. So I was glad when it's difficulty had been changed.

I still agree with the OP. The possibility of simming makes us get all the rewards without the need of staring emptily one of our teams to auto through 12 battles. I love this change even more than the difficulty change.
    But then what good is GW for? Just give us the rewards—and I won't mind if I don't have to spend sim tickets, so let it be in a form of lootbox. :smile: All joking aside, please restore the old difficulty: a 'playground' is always welcome to test our teams at least until the rumoured/wished sandbox feature arrives. We have DS and LS TBs (though we have to fight in these against very specific teams), and TWs to prepare for.

Regarding new players this means two possibilities (not counting the tiered method, which doesn't seem to be realistic for me):
    1. They 'learn the hard way' like the veteran players. At least they'll realize the value of simming when they get there. :smile:
    2. I really don't care if everybody is able to sim from the start. And I don't think that anybody should be bothered by this, 'coz this only means a slightly faster development. The only group that can bothered about this is the group of the developers who would lose some earnings. Maybe. But let's face the facts: GW Store is kinda _bad_ with only a few usable toons, and I don't think that anybody would spend much money to buy them, so it wouldn't be huge loss for the devs. Maybe even the contrary: the players would be happy, and happy players can be more willing to spend.

edit:
    TL;DR
  • Ikky2win wrote: »
    They just need to balance it better. Make it easier for newer players and harder for older players, with the sim option as well. That makes everyone happy. Those that don’t want to spend the time can sim it, older players who want something difficult have the option to play through a harder version, and newer players don’t feel frustrated at the difficulty. For newer players it REALLY needs to be completable every day as it’s one of the main sources of character shards and daily credits. If you increase the difficulty across the board you’re going to lose newer players fast.
    I can definitely second this. I am only two months into the game, and it's only been the last week or so that I have finally been able to complete GW.

I'm all for a challenge, but being pitted against teams that were level 65-70 when I was 50 was discouraging to say the least.

And as you mention, I really needed that farm to be able to get to the level of the teams that I was being matched against.

It's better now that I'm player level 63 with several team options with characters at level 50-60 and G7. But if it were harder to begin with when I started playing, I have no doubt that I would still be behind the curve because of the missed opportunity to farm shards.

• It's ok for all of you with overpowered teams that have been playing a long time, or those who have put money into the game & ace everything, of course it's all going to be easy & boring for you. Then there's those of us who have just started or are free to play, everything is so freaking hard then. We go into the mode & take our level 49 teams, only to be confronted by others up to level 70, modded fully, levelled up fully, to 7 stars, prepare for the frustration & inevitable obliteration. There has to be a balance. Maybe there should be 2 parts to it, one for each set of players. I don't want to be faced with a level 65 team with 7 star characters & maxed out mods that I have absolutely zero chance of beating, on my second match into the area! In my case, I would welcome a challenge but not a slaughter. I don't think you can sim anything until you have 3 starred any level anyway, this will probably be no different.
  • Darkrose_One
    51 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I was stuck more-or-less from levels 60-70 due to having low credits. I am now 72 and built up my Phoenix team, and I now can clear the Galaxy War. I think I am on my fourth clear. The ~500,000 credits per day from the Galaxy War are really helping me out!
  • It looks as if you can sim the Galactic War after 150-successes.