Tanks? ...or no tanks?

Prev13
Smapty
1260 posts Member
So with all the tank busting and taunt avoiding characters that are so commonplace nowadays...
Is it really worth running a tank anymore in arena?

It's almost gotten to the point where using a tank is a liability.. sure they theoretically serve their purpose and I guess they make you look tougher to your opponents... but what do they really do?

Get fractured immediately? ...or just get obliterated before they move by anyone who has a half decent team?

There's so many ways to nullify or avoid taunting characters now that they almost serve no purpose at all...

So tanks or no tanks?

What's your opinion?

Replies

• Poe.. SThan... rg... Shore.. baze... SithTrooper... GK...
    All were meta. Because you can't run 4 supports or 5 attackers. Can't do it. You need balance. Just started a thread because IMO, no team can survive as meta much if all from same faction.
    You need the benefits from each type. Tanks have it perks, you'll need those, they'll continue to be. Maybe not the current tanks, but there is always a tank in the meta.
  • We just got our second taunt avoiding character and he can only avoid taunt on his opening turn. He also works as a hard counter to the best tank buster in the game (Thrawn). I'd hardly call them prevalent or say that they're killing tanks.
  • Maybe not the pre-taunt ones as much, but if they have an ability to taunt it is still pretty good especially since characters that dispel use it for any old buff, just taunt after
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    You almost have to run two tanks at this point to even have hopes for a "tank" at all...

Why not just push the other team even more and ditch a tank character all together?
  • Smapty wrote: »
    You almost have to run two tanks at this point to even have hopes for a "tank" at all...

I'm actually a fan of the two tanks, especially if one is a soft taunt like GK or RG. With that said I feel we are still under the illusion that defence means something in arena. Perhaps in newer shards but shards older than a year the top 10 can all beat each other any time. I run tanks when they provide more than just a taunt. Right now I run Shore and Storm in a full empire squad. Both of these toons provide good utility beyond just a tank.

I do find it much more enjoyable to breeze to the top during my climb each day by running just a straight up offence team.
  • The only toon I worry about any more is Nihilus.

All I have to do is keep him from doing his thing and I can do my thing.

Pretty boring really.

I hope OT Rebels make things interesting in arena again.

To your point, when people fight my squad, they lock down my tank(s) and pick my squad apart.

Dropping tanks just keeps them from having to lock someone down. I don't think it will make much difference either way.
  • Traditional tanks are definitely losing their impact in arena. Some tanks, like Gk and Baze, will always be useful for their other non taunting ablilties. So yes, I think they are still worth it even if it's just for a tankier dispeller or cleanser.
  • I don't run a tank and take first in arena. My squad is Rex(L), R2D2, zKylo, Darth Nihilus and Boba. Running R2 allows me to stealth everyone but Kylo. The only drawback on offense is if Rex dies before R2 uses smokescreen. On defense I have no clue what happens or who R2 chooses not to stealth.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    So I’ve been revisiting this idea with the new Palp & Vader reworks....

What good does a tank really do in today’s arena? Get stunned and buff blocked and fractured and then stand there while the rest of your team gets blasted?

I have just started messing around with it again... and it might be garbage honestly...

But here’s some (very) early videos of a “no tanks” team in action...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEYmVM-Rfc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdtuUkHWH5s
  • Problem is defense.
    Tanked teams are easy to beat but tankless teams are easier
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Problem is defense.
    Tanked teams are easy to beat but tankless teams are easier

Are they really though?

You basically have to use one ability to nullify the tank (if there’s only one)

It seems like a single tank is borderline useless... two tanks might cut the mustard... 3 tanks??? (People are doing it)

How much do you sacrifice for the tank(s) on your team? Some of them bring some utility.
    GK is a fantastic character for example... until he’s stunned and buff blocked and fractured...

I guess they have their moments l... but in today’s arena it seems like they have lost a lot of usefulness
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Here’s vs JRT... I had an easier win that I didn’t record that was more impressive...
    but still it’s on full auto so any win is a great one :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_7v1ehk8-g
  • Well if you have no tank then when someone uses their move that nullifies the enemy tank namely Fracture, it will be alot worse if it happens to an attacker because they have much less health right? And the enemy can do it to whoever they want instead of just the Tank.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Creepioo wrote: »
    Well if you have no tank then when someone uses their move that nullifies the enemy tank namely Fracture, it will be alot worse if it happens to an attacker because they have much less health right? And the enemy can do it to whoever they want instead of just the Tank.

Yeah but what difference does it make? Your non-useful character has been fractured vs you’re useful one?

If they’re all useful then what difference does it make?

Here’s another video... vs a different JRT team

Pretty ugly :(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5Y0vJtn90
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    tank is not useless they tank, obviously.
    getting a tank fractured is much better than getting cls or Jedi rey fractured. so that's why tank matters
    in your team i wouldnt bother fracturing tarkin or krennic
    palpatine could be worthwhile to fracture if i really want him not to get a single turn. fracturing vader also would be good.
    or thrawn as well. oh you dont use thrawn ok dt then.
    but i think i would generally fracture vader and kill palp, and then kill death, then the rest
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    getting a tank fractured is much better than getting cls or Jedi rey fractured. so that's why tank matters
    palpatine could be worthwhile to fracture if i really want him not to get a single turn. fracturing vader also would be good.
    but i think i would generally fracture vader and kill palp, and then kill death, then the rest

Is getting your useless tank fractured better than someone else?

Here’s another vs CLS...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nDK0Q-5KV0
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Hers another vs JRT...

“Livin’ on the edge”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxQELVnYo

Is getting your useless tank fractured better than someone else?

Here’s another vs CLS...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nDK0Q-5KV0

ofcouse it's 100000000 times better off to get a tank fractured than getting a core character that makes the team work fractured
  • Had been thinking the same things. At the moment using zOB so keeps his taunt when fractured though how much use this is may depend on who you are facing. Most of the time I am seeing Titans or still CLS led Chaze teams.
  • 2* zombie
  • I use GK, but it has more to do with his foresight, cleansing and crit immunity than it does his taunt.
  • It’s both. Most of the tanks that are used on meta teams now also serve another purpose. So, they soak up the damage, absorb the fracture (or whatever) in place of an attacker AND they bring more to the table.
    That’s why they are more useful. You get tabking and some kind of support function in 1.
  • Yeah obviously the taunt is a small function of the tank. Usually the will give you some TM heals and buffs. That's why you use them.
    Hers another vs JRT...

“Livin’ on the edge”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxQELVnYo
    Judging by this video yes. The debuffs and stun spread all over the squad. When there is a tank they stay localized. Even if the tank hardly moves or even taunts, they can't use those same debuffs someplace else.
  • Running myself zzEP(L), zDV, zThrawn, DK and zDT with much success,
    I have to agree with OP and... Darth Bane -Think like a Sith would do-
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    eh who knows
  • I ran a maxed out Veers Imp Troopers for a year the highest i got was 55. This team day 1 got me to rank 38. Emperor (L) Vader,Thrawn, Shore and Storm. I wasn't a fan of 2 tanks but look where it has got me day one. Mature Shard May 16. I haven't even zeta Vader's unique Emp has no zetas gear 11 yet here i sit rank 38
  • Running myself zzEP(L), zDV, zThrawn, DK and zDT with much success,
    I have to agree with OP and... Darth Bane -Think like a Sith would do-

I like this a little better than the Tarkin version from the videos. How does it handle NS?
  • Sure - double tanks, why not. NS Zombie plus GK is sweet. When you have plagues melting faces, Zaka stunning and res'ing, and Azzajj who can end up doing more then either CLS or JTR, two tanks makes sense.

But, while zombie is possibly the second best tank in the game - all that NS stuff is useless if it's not an NS team - no drag and drop.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice