Tanks? ...or no tanks?

Replies

• Olddumper wrote: »
    Running myself zzEP(L), zDV, zThrawn, DK and zDT with much success,
    I have to agree with OP and... Darth Bane -Think like a Sith would do-

I like this a little better than the Tarkin version from the videos. How does it handle NS?

Wipes them easily, either weak zombie or strong one..
    Struggles a bit against top notch JTR teams though...
    So... I’d like to try zzEP(L), zDV, zThrawn, IPD and TFP; I think can beat all teams easily while being pure Empire
    Running myself zzEP(L), zDV, zThrawn, DK and zDT with much success,
    I have to agree with OP and... Darth Bane -Think like a Sith would do-

I like this a little better than the Tarkin version from the videos. How does it handle NS?

Wipes them easily, either weak zombie or strong one..
    Struggles a bit against top notch JTR teams though...
    So... I’d like to try zzEP(L), zDV, zThrawn, IPD and TFP; I think can beat all teams easily while being pure Empire

Hmm I am currently running zEP DV zThrawn Tarkin and ShT. It clocks absolutely everything except the OB RJT comp. Vs that specific comp you need to keep OB from taunting at all costs, which is often possible. If needed you can pull Tarkin and use DN to help dispel OB. Otherwise it just wrecks whatever is in front of it.
  • On offense, there are many combinations that can work on offense because the AI will spread damage and leave you to do whatever you want.

If anyone thinks a no tank team can hold on defense, just wait a month or two until your shard grows up a little. The first thing your opponent will do is kill/stiun/fracture your biggest threats in order. A taunting tank will protect them.

• Mobewan wrote: »
    On offense, there are many combinations that can work on offense because the AI will spread damage and leave you to do whatever you want.

If anyone thinks a no tank team can hold on defense, just wait a month or two until your shard grows up a little. The first thing your opponent will do is kill/stiun/fracture your biggest threats in order. A taunting tank will protect them.

Nov. 15 shard. The guy who currently is in 3rd is running ep Vader dn gmt and tarkin. Has used that line up for a couple of days. Tanks aren't what they use to be in arena. To many counters. For them to be effective. You need 3 just to have a taunter for the first round.
    On offense, there are many combinations that can work on offense because the AI will spread damage and leave you to do whatever you want.

Have to say my shard is nov 15 or dec 15 and for the last two days I don’t drop under 30s
  • @ProximaB1_ and @Ftpreliable
    You are both talking about lineups using the new EP/Vader reworks.
    Let's see how long that lasts.

For every other team, what i said previously is valid.
  • The videos you have are all offensive vids. Sure, a team without a tank years apart the opposing team on offense. On the other hand, on defense the attacking team can pick and choose who to kill first and reduce your damage output. A tank like zeta old Ben will taunt through a fracture, so I’d suggest that. Maybe run a team without a tank for your first four battles and put a team with s tank in for the last one.
  • Can always just run R2.

**** smokescreen is a pseudo tank anyway.
  • Although I am camp pro tank people are completely missing the validity of this. If your Tank sits on his hands the whole match then what is the point of having him? You can front load your squad with heavier DPS and more control debuffs to help keep keep incoming DPS in check. The only reason I am anti no tank is because in general tanks get over powered kits in this game. They usually come with a side kick that makes them an overwhelming pain. Think GK/Zarris, Chirrut/Baze, ShT/zThrawn. Ep lead does have a overwhelming sysnergy like that so ditching the tank is viable because it is such a proactive squad.
  • Tanks
    Although I am camp pro tank people are completely missing the validity of this. If your Tank sits on his hands the whole match then what is the point of having him? You can front load your squad with heavier DPS and more control debuffs to help keep keep incoming DPS in check. The only reason I am anti no tank is because in general tanks get over powered kits in this game. They usually come with a side kick that makes them an overwhelming pain. Think GK/Zarris, Chirrut/Baze, ShT/zThrawn. Ep lead does have a overwhelming sysnergy like that so ditching the tank is viable because it is such a proactive squad.
    I like what GK adds more than I like what another attacker adds. Fracture him, and he still gives crit immunity. Don't fracture him and he is constantly taunting, granting foresight and cleansing. He is the only tank I have used in a while though.
    Although I am camp pro tank people are completely missing the validity of this. If your Tank sits on his hands the whole match then what is the point of having him? You can front load your squad with heavier DPS and more control debuffs to help keep keep incoming DPS in check. The only reason I am anti no tank is because in general tanks get over powered kits in this game. They usually come with a side kick that makes them an overwhelming pain. Think GK/Zarris, Chirrut/Baze, ShT/zThrawn. Ep lead does have a overwhelming sysnergy like that so ditching the tank is viable because it is such a proactive squad.
    I like what GK adds more than I like what another attacker adds. Fracture him, and he still gives crit immunity. Don't fracture him and he is constantly taunting, granting foresight and cleansing. He is the only tank I have used in a while though.

I like ShT because he has a pretaunt and spams heal. Great vs NS. He makes battles more predictable because there is very little variability to what he does.
  • @Olddumper
    I think it's too early to tell what the deal is with EP/Vader rework and whether they can run without a tank.

Whatever synergy that team has may have people avoiding it like they avoided gk/bariss.

But maybe not. Msybe that guys mods give him enough speed to get away with no tank until others figure it out.

What if others use his setup, so he switches to a tank.

2 cases of a brand new rework not needing a tank on defense (yet) doesnt apply to 99% of teams and is too early to know if it is truly viable for the next few weeks.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    I switched out Tarkin for Starck and I think it works even better...
    You don’t really want the fight to drag on... so his damage boost for the team is nice. The second AOE stagger also helps keep your team moving ahead of the other squad.
    I only dropped to #7 overnight... which may have just been chance (but still I didn’t get knocked down the ranks like crazy or anything)
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Smapty wrote: »
    I switched out Tarkin for Starck and I think it works even better...
    You don’t really want the fight to drag on... so his damage boost for the team is nice. The second AOE stagger also helps keep your team moving ahead of the other squad.
    I only dropped to #7 overnight... which may have just been chance (but still I didn’t get knocked down the ranks like crazy or anything)

People have been loving starck. I'm not willing to work on him just from the looks of his kit but I've only heard good things. Surprising that he out performs Tarkin.

Also I don't get why dark side reworks are always reviewed more harshly. It seems like people expect them to need to hold on D, but it's okay for RJT and CLS to sink like rocks.

If we really wanted just "arena viable" they stomp Titans, nightsisters, Thrawn lead, Rex lead, CLS, GK Zarris and RJT on offense. What more can you ask for?

To me I run the ShT Tarkin comp because NS and Titans struggle vs it heavily. For arena defense, It's better to beat a certain set of squads definitively than it is to be okayish vs everything and never actually win.
  • GK provides crit immunity to the team even when fractured, which kind of incentivizes the other team to kill him first. If you run no Tank, you'll have success on offense, but you're going to get absolutely wrecked on defense to much weaker squads.
    @ProximaB1_ and @Ftpreliable
    You are both talking about lineups using the new EP/Vader reworks.
    Let's see how long that lasts.

For every other team, what i said previously is valid.

I'm not saying tanks are completely useless just saying they are not as useful as they once were. Also the main reason is most tanks don't add much to your squad besides a taunt. Gk is a op toon so he is the exception to this. He adds a lot to squads besides his taunt. Honestly if there was an attacker with all his benefits except taunt he still would be a good toon.
  • For the past one year I haven't used a tank before on my sith squad which I use for arena cause I don't have a decent tank. I use barriss for defence instead
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I’m bringing back the triple tank squads with my arena team! All the JTR squads are struggling to deal with my Talzin/Zombie/Ventress/KRU/GK combo.
  • Realistically droids were sans taunt for like a whole year. HK IG-86 Ig-88 JE b-2
  • Blizzisme
    241 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Random9 wrote: »
    The videos you have are all offensive vids.

Please PLEASE tell me how to take a defensive vid...

Lolz

This. A no-tank thing sounds cool.

BUT - your attackers are going to be sitting ducks. Military 101.

• The no tank ep squad I mentioned earlier has fallen all the way to first on the leader board. Just an update.
  • Blizzisme wrote: »
    Random9 wrote: »
    The videos you have are all offensive vids.

Please PLEASE tell me how to take a defensive vid...

Lolz

Well you take a video of your offensive team like normal, then you flip the video left-to-right so the defensive team is on the left side of the screen. No you are viewing it from the perspective of the defense and the AI that goes with it.
  • TVF
    36528 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Tanks

You're welcome.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • For NightSisters i have my Imperial Troopers don't even stand a chance against them. I don't think a 2 tank team would do well against NightSisters I would replace one tank with DT or SnowTrooper.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Already ahead of you on this one Smapty :) Was running no tanks when Chaze + GK dominated everywhere.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1102777/#Comment_1102777

No tanks can work fine if you have speed and the ability to remove TM and / or generate tons of offensive turn meter for your team. Also - O down is key so Tarkin's rework is what allowed this before along with +1 CD removal from DN. Held very well on D also - you don't need tanks to defend. I was holding top 10 for a bit on a Nov '15 launch server. What actually ended it was Thrawn unfortunately - his leader crushed DV's lead. DS taking out DS - kinda like EP does vs. NS now.

You actually may want to try this toon configuration, just with EP and DV switched of course.
  • @Blizzisme
    You take a defensive video by asking your shardmates to make videos attacking you.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    So back to the “no tanks” idea...

I’ve just started playing around with this setup... so far like it quite a lot :)

...can auto most meta teams most of the time (now there’s a vague statement)

Fantastic empire team buster ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WA2RHOqnyk
  • Smapty wrote: »
    So back to the “no tanks” idea...

I’ve just started playing around with this setup... so far like it quite a lot :)

...can auto most meta teams most of the time (now there’s a vague statement)

Fantastic empire team buster ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WA2RHOqnyk

Is that SF FOTFP?