The dark side needs (blank) to be #1?

Prev1
So there's obviously another sith/empire character coming soon, the question is what is everyone hoping for? Personally I would love to see either an extremely strong GK style for the dark side OR a super utility like R2/BB8. I'm one of those nutty people who refuses to put characters like GK in DS themed teams and vice versa, so based off NEED I think EP needs a legit protector. So what's your hopes?

On a side note I'm happy to see the rework hate starting to dwindle down and more success stories coming out.

Replies

• Lord sauron
  • Minetaridge
    221 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Thrawn 2.0

Dark side bb8 who cleanses.

Bounty Hunter rework.
    Hit the gym.
  • The Dark side is stuck in what I call a very embarrsing situation: You can’t say they are bad, but they are just ALWAYS falling short by just a little bit.

Take Vader as an example: Tanky, meaty, Really fast, Great damage.

EP: Great damage, shock, Good lead, squishy, aoe stuns.

The thing is, dare I say everytime a new dark side toon is released they are simply not counters to the meta, while LS toons are a more direct/ easier path to whatever the meta is.

One of the MOST FATAL flaw I think most dark side team has is a lack of an IMMEDIATE threat. The whole dark side is too all rounded. Damage is alright, speed is alright, tanks are alright, toughness are alright. There’s just nothing that stands out and make me say oh that’s what makes a dark side team strong etc etc.

As such, when you face off against a dark side team, you can have so many approaches and freedom and room for mistakes, that it’s just better off not to play them.

Here’s a few example: JRT. Rey and bb8 are your biggest threat here. You can tell how the enemy team works. They work by building up towards illuminated destiny, by countering and lowering cooldowns. You counter the team by shutting these two down. Room for error is close to none. You make one or two mistakes, you are done for.

CLS/GK/ Barriss team: obviously barriss is the key. They counter the burst crit damage from rebels back when they were meta and you counter by taking out barriss. CLS helps with damage as well as gives counter. Counter with daze, stuns and take out CLS/ barriss. Room for error is alright, you can make a few mistakes and you can still make it.

Nightsister: old daka and MT with their whole tm gain and ventress rampage. Acolyte aside, a careful approach is needed to defeat them. They are a very balanced/ well designed if not the best balanced teams imho. Good on offense, good on defense, and with the right team you can defeat them. Not especially strong against a specific team, but in general a very top tier nonetheless. Room for error is optimal, not too high or low.

Darkside/ Empire: This is where everything falls apart. What, if I may ask, is holding the DS team together? EP stuns sure, vader good damage sure, but I can take out thrawn/ EP/ Vader/ basically ANY toon out of the enemy team, and I can still secure a win. Sure, make a couple of mistakes, maybaps lose my r2, zarriss or gk, Whatever, i can beat the team with rey/bb8 or han/ CLS remaining. The fact that the room for error is so HUGE, it’s basically a gaping hole that begs to be attacked in arena. All I have to do is go in with a team, hope EP doesnt land a stun, if he does, maybe vader wont culling blade a vital toon, maybe thrawn will cleanse the wrong person instead of shoretrooper, maybe... there are just too much room for mistakes on the empire, too many opportunities and approaches for the attacker to take on.

So if you ask me, what does the DS/ empire need? I would say it’s not a specific toon or tank or cleanser or whatever. What it needs is a toon that can SHAPE the faction into something concrete, something more predictable, a squad that has a clear approach when attacking and defending, that makes the squad into a puzzle that requires a specific attacking approach to defeat. If a jedi rey team is an armour with 2 to 3 weaknesses in it, then then the empire at the moment is a tattered t shirt with 10 or even 20 holes and openings on it.
  • How about a toon decreasing ability cooldowns like first order officer (i.e. not a leader ability)?
  • Droideka
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    im hoping for all sith triumvirates with revan will be playable
    sion would suit for a tank
    traya for cleaser and heal
    revan for main attacker
  • BB-9E?
  • Sacull_Kinslayer
    797 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    DS needs:

R2 clone. Basically a unique that us better than many leader abilities. However, it will probably only buff/cleanse tuskens and separatists.

GK clone. A tank with loads of utility

A Chaze clone. A combination of characters that work well together that have a lot of utility as well as buffs, cleanse, aoe debuff, heal, taunt, pretaunt, and high damage attacks.

DS needs random characters that were barely in the movies to be more powerful than the main characters...

Vader's DoTs to not be dispelled.
    Vader's unique to also give him protection.
    Vader's leader to work for him even if he isn't leader.
    Vader and EP's uniques to affect Vader and EP.

Characters with more tm gain for the squad.

DS needs a new free toon that completely negates the other sides meta, released 1 month after the other side starts gaining momentum.

Overall, DS needs characters with much more utility and secondary abilities. DS was originally supposed to be the debuff side and ls the buff side, but Ls has better debuffers that also do amazing damage and have other utilities.

Dark Side is definitely the harder path. It takes more time, effort, and training to be effective. The Light Side is the quicker path, the easier path, the more seductive path.

Fight the oppression and tyranny of the Light Side!
  • A dark side BB8 - "Illuminated Destiny" super-buffs all allies regardless of faction or even LS/DS. Even the recent rework Zetas for Palp and Vader are very faction specific. BB8's "Illuminated Destiny" is for everyone (Talzin, Thrawn, GK, JTRey, R2, Chopper, Old Ben, etc.) - and it's not even a ZETA! :o

Lol - the inconsistencies in this game are mind boggling at times.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I'm with you OP the DS needs a GK style tank. There's decent decent DS tanks but none compare to GK, who's on almost every team no matter the compostion, Jedi Rey teams, NS, GK/Zarris, even empire teams.
  • I'm with you OP the DS needs a GK style tank. There's decent decent DS tanks but none compare to GK, who's on almost every team no matter the compostion, Jedi Rey teams, NS, GK/Zarris, even empire teams.

This too. Shore is okay and RG is soooo 2016. For tanks, the LS has GK, Baze, JTRey, KRU and Old Ben (all of whom still appear in top 20 arena, save for Baze).
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member

Dark Side is definitely the harder path. It takes more time, effort, and training to be effective. The Light Side is the quicker path, the easier path, the more seductive path.

Fight the oppression and tyranny of the Light Side!

Haha this is great... and so true

I think a solid cleanser/ tencity up character is the biggest shortcoming for the DS currently... that would really help empire/ Sith teams in particular.

I really like the idea of a character with a targeted taunt that gives some sort of unique buff (like big +defense, counterattack, TM gains etc...).
    Would be very useful for a lot of DS characters to be able to focus attacks on them... a lot of possibilities there

Bounty hunters need attention for sure... Detonators need to be made a serious threat. New characters (Jango, Embo, etc) to help round them out

I would love to see Separatists made into a cohesive faction... again new characters and some reworks to give them some sort of synergy

More Genosians & Tuskans? Make them full factions at least...

Just a couple of key components could really make the DS a power again...

Hopefully these new Sith will help in some new and interesting way
  • They need Anakin to bring balance to the dark side. With this unique;
    Whenever a Sith Ally suffers a debuff Anakin gains taunt. Whenever Ankain suffers a debuff all other Sith lose 1 random debuff.

Zeta: This taunt can not be prevented.
  • A Royal Guard rework to be equivalent to a GK
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Dark side Anakin would be spectacular!!

With cleanse ability kit.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    ... a dedicated player ...
    ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    ;)

Did you ever farm krennic if so have you tried him lead with ep Vader death trooper +1. Probably wouldn't work well in arena. But in tw if it gets attacked by a lesser squad and gets the turn meter advantage I think it could be a tough squad.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    ;)

Did you ever farm krennic if so have you tried him lead with ep Vader death trooper +1. Probably wouldn't work well in arena. But in tw if it gets attacked by a lesser squad and gets the turn meter advantage I think it could be a tough squad.

i have farmed krennic, haven't tried that team, and i'm not a dedicated DS player, haha.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    ;)

i have farmed krennic, haven't tried that team, and i'm not a dedicated DS player, haha.

I know, you're a meta chaser
  • The only way dark side is going to be number 1 is if they join the Rebellion.
  • Between NS and these EP teams seems to me the DS is already #1 or at least tied for it with RJT ... and they dominate ships. Wampa and Vader solo the Haat...I think DS is in great shape.
  • Free 5 set of zeta
  • A rework on tenacity up where it works like foresight(avoid debuffs once than loss the buff) so it stops making debuff builds unviable
  • Between NS and these EP teams seems to me the DS is already #1 or at least tied for it with RJT ... and they dominate ships. Wampa and Vader solo the Haat...I think DS is in great shape.

I agree whole heartedly.
  • Revan
  • Needs Wampa to have an empire tag. ;)
  • Needs Wampa to have an empire tag. ;)

Lol yes! Woohoo! Jk :tongue:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Revan

shocked.... haha
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Revan

shocked.... haha
    Is this a hint????? Or just sarcasm??? Honestly the revan rumors are getting old...
  • I think most of all we need an anti-R2. DS can use GK, even if he doesn't synergise as well with DS teams as he does LS ones, but DS gains an extremely small amount from R2.

R2 has not left the meta since he came in. He has absolutely destroyed the viability of many DS teams, and he has made so many LS teams viable. If you have a LS team, you can put an R2 in it and you will be better off for it.

DS doesn't have that, and we need one. We need a character who can make debuffs stick, we need one who can stop the enemies from gaining quite so many buffs, we need one who can protect the excessively squishy DS characters.

Right now, to get all those effects you need to bring, like, 3 different DS characters.