Revealed: Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader

Replies

• The fact that half of you say the reworks aren't strong enough and half of you say they can beat everything on offense shows that the reworks were a success. If everyone agreed that they were awesome it would be because they were too OP. They aren't the NEW meta, they're ANOTHER meta... which to me makes the game a lot more interesting. You can have CLS, JTR, NS, Rex, and EP at the top of arena. Diversity in arena is a great thing. Hated that August - October time frame when it was 100% CLS.
  • TurgonGW
    205 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I've switched my arena team to the following today:

- Palpatine Lead (zeta on lead only)
    - Vader (zeta on unique)
    - Thrawn (zeta on unique)
    - Shoretrooper
    - Nihlus (no zeta)

Speeds as follows:

- Palpatine: 230
    - Vader: 240
    - Thrawn: 280
    - Shoretrooper: 95k prot
    - Nihlus: 220

I am sitting at first on my arena as we speak and beat the following teams convincingly to get there:

Match 1 - JTR lead, BB8, R2D2, GK & Old Ben
    Match 2 - Ackbar Lead, CLS, Raid Han, GK, Thrawn
    Match 3 - Ackbar Lead, CLS, Raid Han, GK, Thrawn
    Match 4 - JTR lead, BB8, R2D2, GK, Raid Han

I was actually surprised at how well my team did - I didn't lose a single character in any of the battles. Furthermore, whilst my shard is not an original, its certainly competitive as most of the top 10 have pretty well-modded teams.

I will report back tomorrow to see how far I drop - bearing in mind that with my previous Ackbar lead team, I have dropped as low as 30's.

SWGoH - TurgonGW
    Guild - Starchoppers - Feel free to help us in the Raids!
  • JPBrunel wrote: »
    I can't believe that some people actually thought that the devs would change the meta to a couple of toons that literally EVERYONE has at 7 stars... Wow... SMH...

Not change it but at least do better. That Mary Sue meta is garbage. It relies on bb8 and r2 speed. The re work needs a re work lol
  • JaggedJ wrote: »
    Palp's problem is on defence. Still squishier than a sponge cake.

It’s hilarious how some people’s bad opinions can set people off the wrong path. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if it weren’t for the youtubers saying it wasn’t a good rework.

My record on defense overnight from 1st is now 9th, 5th, 4th. I’m told by my shardmates using JTR and NS that they have failed repeatedly trying to beat it. I was falling to the 20s before using a JTR team with the fastest BB8 on a Nov 2015 server pretty evenly split between JTR, NS and other (CLS or Ackbar or GK). There’s no such thing as a fool proof defensive team, but the results for this team seem pretty good so far.
  • Syncho wrote: »
    JaggedJ wrote: »
    Palp's problem is on defence. Still squishier than a sponge cake.

It’s hilarious how some people’s bad opinions can set people off the wrong path. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if it weren’t for the youtubers saying it wasn’t a good rework.

My record on defense overnight from 1st is now 9th, 5th, 4th. I’m told by my shardmates using JTR and NS that they have failed repeatedly trying to beat it. I was falling to the 20s before using a JTR team with the fastest BB8 on a Nov 2015 server pretty evenly split between JTR, NS and other (CLS or Ackbar or GK). There’s no such thing as a fool proof defensive team, but the results for this team seem pretty good so far.

My opinion is based off coming up against zeta palp in ny own shard and having no prob with him. If you have a palp defence that works then good for you, but don't ignorantly assume that my opinion is decided for me by youtubers i don't watch.

• Fair enough. Much of this thread had been talking about their conclusions that it wasn’t good and I unfairly generalized.
  • Just reporting back on how defense is going for me since switching to empire. In all honesty, this team is holding better on defense than any other team I've run. I can't tell if people are avoiding me or are just struggling to beat it, but either way, no complaints!

Palp lead, DV, Thrawn, Shore & I bounce my 5th around, but have left it w/ DT usually on defense.

I've played around with a bunch of different toons as 5th... after trying out the suggestions here. Just wanted to mention:

TFP was always fun to play under palp & actually works pretty solid still. He may do less dmg than others, but man he just keeps going & going & going under palp. I'd be afraid to leave him on defense, but awesome getting to use him again.
  • TurgonGW wrote: »
    I've switched my arena team to the following today:

- Palpatine Lead (zeta on lead only)
    - Vader (zeta on unique)
    - Thrawn (zeta on unique)
    - Shoretrooper
    - Nihlus (no zeta)

Speeds as follows:

- Palpatine: 230
    - Vader: 240
    - Thrawn: 280
    - Shoretrooper: 95k prot
    - Nihlus: 220

I am sitting at first on my arena as we speak and beat the following teams convincingly to get there:

Match 1 - JTR lead, BB8, R2D2, GK & Old Ben
    Match 2 - Ackbar Lead, CLS, Raid Han, GK, Thrawn
    Match 3 - Ackbar Lead, CLS, Raid Han, GK, Thrawn
    Match 4 - JTR lead, BB8, R2D2, GK, Raid Han

I was actually surprised at how well my team did - I didn't lose a single character in any of the battles. Furthermore, whilst my shard is not an original, its certainly competitive as most of the top 10 have pretty well-modded teams.

I will report back tomorrow to see how far I drop - bearing in mind that with my previous Ackbar lead team, I have dropped as low as 30's.

you could slap those mods on any semi decent squad and probably get the same result. I could be wrong, but those look pretty speedy, and a similar set on a JTR/NS/etc comp would likely have similar success.

Still, good job, the rework balance seems about right, not so OP that everyone shifts to Palps/Vader, but provides enough to give a viable alternative should a player choose to do so.
  • After my switch to my Empire/Sith team mentioned above, I can report that after the first day, I dropped overnight to 16th.

For me this is slightly better than my previous Ackbar/CLS/Han/R2/Thrawn team - I would usually drop to between 20-30 - so it looks to be an improvement but this is only the first date - I will report again when I start my attacks later today.

SWGoH - TurgonGW
    Guild - Starchoppers - Feel free to help us in the Raids!
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    It's important to note as well that some people are probably trying to hit you because you are different so the rework is putting a target on you.
  • t0neg0d wrote: »
    Just reporting back on how defense is going for me since switching to empire. In all honesty, this team is holding better on defense than any other team I've run. I can't tell if people are avoiding me or are just struggling to beat it, but either way, no complaints!

Palp lead, DV, Thrawn, Shore & I bounce my 5th around, but have left it w/ DT usually on defense.

I've played around with a bunch of different toons as 5th... after trying out the suggestions here. Just wanted to mention:

TFP was always fun to play under palp & actually works pretty solid still. He may do less dmg than others, but man he just keeps going & going & going under palp. I'd be afraid to leave him on defense, but awesome getting to use him again.

Try tarkin in that 5th spot.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • After update I'm sitting at 253 maul palp vader sidious dooku before I'd be stuck between 400 and 500.
  • Another epic fail by EA. Each update on vador was a waste of time.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I posted along similar lines earlier but it was deleted and I was referred to bugs (please don't do this again - I'm not complaining but trying to get a feel for what others are experiencing. It may not be a bug but a WAI mechanic that I don't understand).
    Vader's AoE (unique) shouldn't be countered but I have seen him do it and the whole team receive 4 or 5 hits straight away. This has only been against CLS lead teams with R2. Is this CLS / Rebels getting turn meter because of the AoE? If so, it pretty much acts as a counter.

For those that are running Vader in arena, are they noticing this at all?
    Post edited by AlexanderG on
  • AlexanderG wrote: »
    I posted along similar lines earlier but it was deleted and I was referred to bugs (please don't do this again - I'm not complaining but trying to get a feel for what others are experiencing. It may not be a bug but a WAI mechanic that I don't understand).
    Vader's AoE (unique) shouldn't be countered but I have seen him do it and the whole team receive 4 or 5 hits straight away. This has only been against CLS lead teams with R2. Is this CLS / Rebels getting turn meter because of the AoE? If so, it pretty much acts as a counter.

For those that are running Vader in arena, are they noticing this at all?

CLS gets turn meter when rebel allies are damaged - once he attacks, he can give his entire team turn meter with his Binds zeta for each debuff he lands. So Vader AOE will most often give CLS full TM, which will in turn allow CLS to give his entire team 10-20% turn meter.
  • Wait wait wait. Didn’t Palps basic damage rebels and Jedi that weren’t the main target? Why did that change?
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Wait wait wait. Didn’t Palps basic damage rebels and Jedi that weren’t the main target? Why did that change?

Yeah I just noticed that also....terrible change. Especially for DS TB - i ran him behind DV and his basic attacking one could remove TM from all enemies. I think it's an awful change. They made his leader really good, but nerfed his individual kit IMO. He's now less valuable outside of his leader role and especially under DV lead.

@CG_Kozispoon can we get any explanation for why this part of EP's kit was nerfed?
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Wait wait wait. Didn’t Palps basic damage rebels and Jedi that weren’t the main target? Why did that change?

Rebels, Jedi and shocked enemies now take damage at the start of their turn rather than the end of EPs turn,
  • wow cant believe no anny darkside but i have to see 4 hans
    So no new character wow. And meant pre suit vader yes darth vader
    So now pre suit darth vader
    Will there be presuit vader?
    Any darkside anakin presuit vader?

Lmao
  • One thing people seem to forget is that only what, 2%, maybe 5% of players are good enough to even come close to top 10. I'm about 150 every day with a Zaul led Sith team and this rework has been amazing for me.
  • While needed I feel like it was a cop out overall. They could have adjusted base stats and made them legit top tier characters like they should be.
  • The fact that half of you say the reworks aren't strong enough and half of you say they can beat everything on offense shows that the reworks were a success. If everyone agreed that they were awesome it would be because they were too OP. They aren't the NEW meta, they're ANOTHER meta... which to me makes the game a lot more interesting. You can have CLS, JTR, NS, Rex, and EP at the top of arena. Diversity in arena is a great thing. Hated that August - October time frame when it was 100% CLS.

Agreed - the all CLS meta was one of the worse.
    Problem with Pals and Zader is they got a bunch of bugs that are throwing people off - they need to be addressed. A LOT of bugs need to be addressed. Really killing the game in a lot of ways..
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • ReyCharles
    279 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm having trouble moving over from my titans squad right now. I don't have the mods to keep enough protection and speed up up enough seems to be my problem. I was using:

EP at 202. 23k protection
    Vader at 220
    Thrawn at 248
    Gk at 208 and then I'm unsure on a 5th. I have zavage maul zid DT all.as option or I was thinking solo and give up a little Vader speed.

Thoughts on any of this? If I steal my r2 mods for EP I can get him around 215 to 220

Edit

One last thing I'm not sure why to change right now as I don't think it's going to get me any higher than I already am top 50 range. I can beat certain jrey teams with titans only thing the change would do is help me kill nightsisster teams which are disappearing

Another edit it's a March 16 shard pretty darn competitive top 50 for sure
  • ReyCharles wrote: »
    I'm having trouble moving over from my titans squad right now. I don't have the mods to keep enough protection and speed up up enough seems to be my problem. I was using:

Vader at 220
    Thrawn at 248
    Gk at 208 and then I'm unsure on a 5th. I have zavage maul zid DT all.as option or I was thinking solo and give up a little Vader speed.

Thoughts on any of this? If I steal my r2 mods for EP I can get him around 215 to 220

Edit

One last thing I'm not sure why to change right now as I don't think it's going to get me any higher than I already am top 50 range. I can beat certain jrey teams with titans only thing the change would do is help me kill nightsisster teams which are disappearing

IM literally in the same boat lingering in the 25-50 range,I have to keep falling back to rey lead bc im not seeing the speed,my EP has 230spd,Vader 199,thrawn 269,shore 150,Dt 190 and Im still struggling to beat the NS teams with Kenobi/2* zombie combo in it.
  • jjkriv wrote: »
    ReyCharles wrote: »

Vader at 220
    Thrawn at 248

Edit

IM literally in the same boat lingering in the 25-50 range,I have to keep falling back to rey lead bc im not seeing the speed,my EP has 230spd,Vader 199,thrawn 269,shore 150,Dt 190 and Im still struggling to beat the NS teams with Kenobi/2* zombie combo in it.

So like me you want to change to ep DS squad but it would be a lateral move and not benefit anything. Sucks hih?
  • jjkriv wrote: »

Vader at 220
    Thrawn at 248

Edit

Couldn't you sub in an AoE there, Tarkin or TfP?
  • AlexanderG wrote: »
    jjkriv wrote: »

Vader at 220
    Thrawn at 248

Edit

Couldn't you sub in an AoE there, Tarkin or TfP?

For Shore or Thrawn??My Tarkin is almost ready,TFP is a bit lacking,I also have Krennic close to ready..they are so squishy tho.
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    The reworks are arena viable. Just not to everyone's idea of arena viable.

What makes a team arena viable is a better question to ask and is subjective.

In my opinion, I want a team that can beat any other team on offense.

Therefore, I would consider the reworks arena viable based on the videos I have seen.

I don't want to have to switch teams. Ever. I'm in a fairly large shard chat so I don't worry about dropping insanely on defense overnight. Not everyone is that lucky so others value defense more. Some people want a balance. Some people enjoy switching teams to take on specific opponents. To each their own.

So before ranting that a toon or team is not arena viable, start by defining your perception of what arena-viable actually means to you.

For me, I'm sticking with my RJT lead team with BB8, R2D2, Thrawn and GK because they work for me and what I want out of arena. That being said, I really hope these reworks are used by more people because I like the diversity.
  • I switched from a GK lead team to a full Empire one with Palp lead (zeta leader ability),Vader,Nihilus,Tarkin and TFP.This team managed to get me in to top 25 on my server and stayed there for a full day.So at least from my point of view Palp's rework does work.