Anyone Having Arena Troubles Lately?

Prev1
For about a week I was able to get top 50 payouts for Squad Arena. I run zzRJT(L), zBB8, zR2, zCLS and zFinn with squad power sitting at 102,998.

Yesterday I logged on and had fallen to about 67. I only won one battle all day.

Today I log in and I'm at 74. Squads I can battle with are in the high 60's for the most part. Almost all the squads I see are about 104K CLS, GK, Zarris squads. However, there are some Rex leads that are in the high 90's and I saw a CLS squad at 65 that had only 90K in power. I beat that squad with only RJT standing and like 10 seconds on the clock.

Maybe it is bad RNG, or that all the squads around me suddenly dropped zetas and geared up. It just seems odd that I went from being about to try to crack the top 20 with mid 30's finishes each day to struggling to break 60. I dropped a zeta on BB8 on Sunday and I thought while I might not keep climbing I would be able to hold better and not struggle as much. Guess I was dead wrong on that front.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Replies

• Palp lead has become another top tier team so now more squads can move up. As a result, you are starting to be crowded out.
  • To be blunt, your team is bad. Finn and CLS are doing nothing for your team. You also don't have a taunter.

I've noticed no changes in my arena other than NS disappearing and Palpatine taking over.
  • Thing is, I'm not seeing a lot of those Empire teams, and if they jumped up spots and pushed everyone else back I would think that I would be able to climb back up and compete with them as a Resistance team and not a Rebel one. Also, I'm having trouble against squads that should never, ever give me trouble. Not when I have 6K + more power than them, anyway. I understand that CLS, GK and Zarris are very, very tough at 102K+ in power for a squad.

Maybe it is time to mix someone out and bring Thrawn up to G12? Raid Han Solo is almost ready too for me.
  • KvotheQGBQG2
    811 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    AtlasMKx wrote: »
    To be blunt, your team is bad. Finn and CLS are doing nothing for your team. You also don't have a taunter.

I've noticed no changes in my arena other than NS disappearing and Palpatine taking over.

That's pretty blunt, but not very constructive.

No taunt is an issue, I'm considering options there too.
  • AtlasMKx wrote: »
    To be blunt, your team is bad. Finn and CLS are doing nothing for your team. You also don't have a taunter.

That's pretty blunt, but not very constructive.

You weren't asking for team build advice, you asked if we've seen arena changes.

You drop CLS and Finn. Add in GK, Old Ben, Han Solo, Chopper or Thrawn and you'll have a winning team.
    I personally used Rey, R2, B2, GK, and Thrawn and took first easy until Palpatine got buffed and I switched to him.
  • I'm glad you are not experiencing any difficulties of late, Atlas. Duly noted.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I’m a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that you are having trouble beating GK Zarriss teams?
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    You need someone who taunts. A lot of JTR teams use GK. I had to drop CLS from my JTR team. I am currently using JTR, BB-8, R2, Scavenger Rey, and alternating GK or Holdo. All at G12 and every zeta but BB-8’s second unique. I take turns at first with other shardmates with the same payout time. Cooperation with them is probably the biggest asset right now.

So, get an auto-taunting tank and try to reach out to your shardmates.
  • Was that not constructive enough for you? Im sorry if I offended you. I was just giving a team that works for me and many others. I hope you find a successful team.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    It's about long enough since the last thrawn event for someone who didn't have him and didnt a gear stockpile to get him and gear him.

Whats the point in telling us that you have zfinn. He doesnt use his leader ability in your team so the zeta is useless. There's no reason for you to tell us about it.

Maybe there's 10-20 Palpatine teams in the top 50 now and the teams you are facing might be the same teams you were previously facing and struggling with. I don't know.

Anyway cls and finn don't have any real role in your team. Just saying.
  • My point was to see if anyone else was having difficulties all of a sudden in Arena. It really doesn't have much to do with my squad, to be honest, and I am aware of its holes for sure, but all of a sudden the same squads I was cruising through are beating me. I was merely curious if others are experiencing increased difficulties all of a sudden as well.

I mean, for a week solid I was able to live in the mid 30's to low 40's. Now I'm clawing to stay in the 60's. Guess that could be from a heavy influx of Empire toons; there are 9 squads in my top 50.

Laith, no, I don't have trouble beating GK/Zarris squads unless they are over 104K in power with Han Solo and Thrawn and CLS all maxed out. Those give me issues.

Finn is good for his cleanse and for stunning, but other than taking a beating off of someone else he isn't good for too much. He's gonna get replaced soon enough, as will CLS. I do appreciate the input and feedback.
  • Well... actually yes. Over the last few days, instead of dropping 9-14 spots, I'm dropping 18-25 spots. Players seem to acquire gear at a certain rate, while other players like myself don't mind dropping a cash every now and then for gear.

Once, a large amount of players get to a certain point and break through a gear wall by being able to do heroic raids, buying enough gear with Event currency, completing enough TB and TW - that group of of players probably broke through that wall and now able to compete.

Also, it only take a handful of high teens, low 20s speed mods on an arena team to really start being competitive.

Just my thought... as there are only 2 Palp teams in my top 30 right now.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • I've seen these threads from time to time and my belief is that each shard has a cluster of players who mature together over time. If the top 100 all play daily, have some knowledge of the game and a decent guild they will continue to grow at roughly the same pace which may be why the arena seems to get harder from time to time. Any time lost, resources wasted or events missed will start a decline in ranks for that player. Just a theory I have and could/most likely is wrong!

I'm curious about your squad though, what was the reasoning behind Finn? Just lack of other characters that high?
  • KvotheQGBQG2
    811 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Well... actually yes. Over the last few days, instead of dropping 9-14 spots, I'm dropping 18-25 spots. Players seem to acquire gear at a certain rate, while other players like myself don't mind dropping a cash every now and then for gear.

Thanks for your input. Do you know what kind of teams are beating you? I see you run Chopper; how is that working out for you? You ever swap GK for Thrawn or Han Solo?
  • I've seen these threads from time to time and my belief is that each shard has a cluster of players who mature together over time. If the top 100 all play daily, have some knowledge of the game and a decent guild they will continue to grow at roughly the same pace which may be why the arena seems to get harder from time to time. Any time lost, resources wasted or events missed will start a decline in ranks for that player. Just a theory I have and could/most likely is wrong!

I'm curious about your squad though, what was the reasoning behind Finn? Just lack of other characters that high?

Thanks. Finn is Resistance and I had to get him upgraded to get RJT, so he is just a placeholder until Thrawn or Han Solo are ready. Same for CLS, really. I don't have GK, so I need to develop a good tank meantime, Old Ben most likely. I will sometimes swap Finn for Zylo, since I have Zylo maxed out. I know I need to tweak some things, but I thought I could hold steady for a bit. Instead I'm slipping a little, which must end! LOL :P
  • My guess would be, along with others who have previously commented, that your team is just too big of a target. RJT is not unbeatable, especially with the wrong team around her, and people have figured out the "secret" to doing just that. Because you are not fielding the better versions of that team, you are getting picked off by those that might not want to risk attacking the harder comps.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    too many competative teams, the game is too balanced < -- did he really just say that?!?!
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    too many competative teams, the game is too balanced < -- did he really just say that?!?!

Was that just said by whom?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Does your shard have a shard chat and are you in it.

One person posts look at this amazing mod and suddenly 25 people go mod farming.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Was that just said by whom?

lmao, I was referring to myself in the 3rd person.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Naraic wrote: »
    Does your shard have a shard chat and are you in it.

One person posts look at this amazing mod and suddenly 25 people go mod farming.

I don't know. I've found one of the top guys in the shard on Discord but that's as far as I've gone. I'll get a little more aggressive on that front once I feel like I can be a factor.

I've been so focused on farming for HAAT (can RT farm a little bit slower please? The 2 shards per day average is killing me...) and ROLO that I haven't devoted the resources to Arena that I should I guess. That can be adjusted, but I can't farm GK with energy so... Old Ben it is I guess?

• Yes, I've been having the same struggles for a couple weeks as well. I was sub 200 for what seemed like months unless someone had just bumped me. Now I've been struggling to even move up from around 300. It started pretty much when I put the 2nd zeta on BB8, and upon throwing my 1st on JTR, it went way downhill. May all be coincidences, and I'm in a very old shard, but it seemed wierd, then you brought it up, so maybe there's something to this
  • I am rank 27. I run EP(L) Thrawn,Vader,Storm,and Shore. Its probably cause the CLS teams GK barris teams are not meta anymore. So you see people in 60's 70's that used to be in 20's 30's. A couple months ago it was all CLS and GK barris now the tables have turned they feel how we used to feel. I always ran Empire now it our time to shine.
  • Power ratings are really just there to trick you. They mean nothing. As others have mentioned, synergy is the biggest factor.

I think you'll be happy using Old Ben. He's a good 5th in RJT squads.
  • I run JTR , bb8, GK, r2, chopper. Top 3 every day. If I run into NS I smoke them with my imp. Team
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    I don’t think I’ve ever had trouble in arena...
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Smapty wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve ever had trouble in arena...

Thanks for sharing.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    here’s the last video I made... just a moment ago and somehow it fits...

I think you can hear Rey clearly say “ohhh.. my butt” right at the end...

You have to listen for it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlajNZBUSI
  • I run JTR , bb8, GK, r2, chopper. Top 3 every day. If I run into NS I smoke them with my imp. Team

I don’t have GK or I would certainly try this squad.

So Thrawn is about to be G12 for me. Replace Finn or CLS?

Work on Han Solo or Old Ben?
  • leef wrote: »

Someone better get in touch with Leef. I think his account has been hacked. Proof above.

As an aside I'm going to try to give up being negative for Lent. So if you don't see me posting much, I'm not dead...not yet.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*