Magmatrooper for R2D2?

In the past it was a general consensus that Magmatrooper makes this event much more difficult than other options; however, the only way I can get a 5th character to 7* is if I go Ham on GW magmatrooper tokens.

I have a G9 Palpatine lead, G9 Vader, G9 Tarkin, G8 TFP... what do you all think about those 4 handling the event and magmatrooper as a place holder at 7* with maybe G7 gear?

Replies

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    I'm not sure how much difference is made to the event by the Palpatine and Vader rework. I would imagine the event will be easier however I would want more gear on Palpatine and Vader given magmatrooper's weakness.
  • I have 4 star Stormtrooper, could buy 10 shards from cantina per day plus RNG from 3 different hard nodes. Not sure if that is possible to get 7 star before the event. Would be a mad dash.
  • DaWitchIzDed
    128 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    BCSAkira wrote: »
    I have 4 star Stormtrooper, could buy 10 shards from cantina per day plus RNG from 3 different hard nodes. Not sure if that is possible to get 7 star before the event. Would be a mad dash.
    If you mean to unlock R2 at 7*, I did it with GMT L (G10), Zader (G11), EP (G10), TFP (G10) & Magmatrooper (G8).
    Couldn't defeat the Final Bonus Tier with 3*, only 1*, but got R2 at 7*

• I am indeed talking about 7*, but hoping to get opinion with new EP lead now that folks have had a chance to play with it. Does it feel strong enough to do 7* R2D2 with that given team? Going to get some insight from people that have played with empire before and after the rework. I never used EP before the rework so I don't have any knowledge to compare before and after, hoping the buff alone is enough that I can pull it off with lesser gear than what you posted.
  • DaWitchIzDed
    128 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    BCSAkira wrote: »
    I am indeed talking about 7*, but hoping to get opinion with new EP lead now that folks have had a chance to play with it. Does it feel strong enough to do 7* R2D2 with that given team? Going to get some insight from people that have played with empire before and after the rework. I never used EP before the rework so I don't have any knowledge to compare before and after, hoping the buff alone is enough that I can pull it off with lesser gear than what you posted.
    If you Zeta Crackling Doom, then EP will last a whole lot better. Other than that, I doubt the buff from the rework alone would be enough.
    You're talking about the same team that I used, just that I didn't bother with EP lead as I wanted the extra Speed from GMT's L.
    The answer to your question is that Magma trooper is viable to unlock 7* R2, but needs good support from the others. They certainly need good speed, as R2 is very fast. Hence GMT's L being my choice at the time. I would also say that G10 is needed to be certain, G9 could be hit & miss, depending on RNG.
  • Thanks for your advice! I've watched many YouTube videos of folks with characters and gear much better than mine and they were having a difficult time. I would be putting all my faith in the EP and Vader rework for this event, not sure that is enough from the sound of it. Probably more realistic to snag my 6 star r2d2 and be ready for the next event, which should be just before CLS so maybe it will all work out in the end
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Are your mods amazing?
  • I could get 1 toon to a pretty amazing level, but not 5. I got lucky with 3 mods at 20+ speed on secondary and I've got a handful around 10 speed. Many at 4ish. Pretty much 1 flash character and 4 sub optimal. This has been working great in arena for me ^^
  • @BCSAkira
    Pleasure mate & good luck!
    I did the same & got him 6* first time with a team that were mostly G8, only Zader at G9 then.
    With my G11 Zader, G8 Magma & everyone else at G10 I managed to cope comfortably with getting his 7th *, a G level lower seemed like it would've been possible, but far less secure.
  • When he first came out I did it with magma no problem, but I had dv ep tarkin rg magma all gear 11
  • The rework should make it easy even with a deadweight in your team