Tanks? ...or no tanks?

13Next

Replies

• Jedi_Bane wrote: »
    Smapty wrote: »
    So back to the “no tanks” idea...

I’ve just started playing around with this setup... so far like it quite a lot :)

...can auto most meta teams most of the time (now there’s a vague statement)

Fantastic empire team buster ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WA2RHOqnyk

Is that SF FOTFP?

Nope, just regular tfp.

I'm normally a fan of tanks - specifically general Kenobi.

That said, under the new EP lead zeta, I think a tank will just slow you down. This team is built around going fast and often. Should just name it, "Don't daze me, bro!" That'll be the only thing that could hurt it.
  • Banj0
    17 posts Member
    So after all the reworks and new releases what is the consensus? Tank or no tank?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Banj0 wrote: »
    So after all the reworks and new releases what is the consensus? Tank or no tank?

I honestly think some of it depends on your shard. If you have the fastest team by a large margin, you can go no tanks. But the issue with no tanks is, if the speeds are close and the other Vader gets a turn fairly soon, then, because of the whole "if everyone hits 100% TM, RNG decides" issue, things can go south fast for a No Tank team. Any Palp lead team becomes VERY easy to beat once Palp is down. Even with his zeta unique, he is still squishy enough to take down without a tank protecting him.

My November 2015 has almost all EP lead w/tank teams. Some actually have 2 tanks - (GK/ST, GK/Sion or even Sion/ST). Some will run EP/Vader/DN. Others prefer Thrawn in place of DN.

Some of that might be to prevent "tank switching" to beat them. What I mean is, many were running 4 DS + GK - but will swap in a g12 Shore on offense, just to outspeed the teams with GK. But much of the top 20 in our shard have very strong speed mods and have fairly similar teams.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Banj0
    17 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Banj0 wrote: »

I honestly think some of it depends on your shard. If you have the fastest team by a large margin, you can go no tanks. But the issue with no tanks is, if the speeds are close and the other Vader gets a turn fairly soon, then, because of the whole "if everyone hits 100% TM, RNG decides" issue, things can go south fast for a No Tank team. Any Palp lead team becomes VERY easy to beat once Palp is down. Even with his zeta unique, he is still squishy enough to take down without a tank protecting him.

My November 2015 has almost all EP lead w/tank teams. Some actually have 2 tanks - (GK/ST, GK/Sion or even Sion/ST). Some will run EP/Vader/DN. Others prefer Thrawn in place of DN.

Some of that might be to prevent "tank switching" to beat them. What I mean is, many were running 4 DS + GK - but will swap in a g12 Shore on offense, just to outspeed the teams with GK. But much of the top 20 in our shard have very strong speed mods and have fairly similar teams.

I have a fairly old shard not real sure when I started playing but it was shortly after the release. I have been running Palp, Vader, Thrawn, Tarkin and Raid Han all with zetas. I just now switched out Tarkin and Han for Shore and zStrom. Fought a JTR team with GK and zHan and barely scrapped by with the win. They even had 2 illuminated destinys go off (how I survived idk). I don't have Nihillus or GK arena ready but would like to run with them. My arena like yours has very strong speed mods which make it difficult but the tanks can absorb a lot of the initial blows. I guess I will have to wait and see how they do on defense before committing to the team.
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    A tank will only slow down your team.I tried a full AoE based team using Palp,Vader,Nihilus,Tarkin and TFP.This team stayed at 19th place almost 24 hours.So this team does its job.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Sion is honestly a perfect addition to these teams... he’s kind of a “pseudo tank” to take some weight off the attackers... but you don’t have to sacrifice too much to stick him in there and he compliments the team nicely

Btw... Tie pilot is the key for other Sion teams. His buff block basically makes the other Sion useless and he still cranks our amazing damage and moves super fast
  • Nokhai
    174 posts Member
    Smapty wrote: »
    Sion is honestly a perfect addition to these teams... he’s kind of a “pseudo tank” to take some weight off the attackers... but you don’t have to sacrifice too much to stick him in there and he compliments the team nicely

Btw... Tie pilot is the key for other Sion teams. His buff block basically makes the other Sion useless and he still cranks our amazing damage and moves super fast

"he’s kind of a “pseudo tank” " And that is the problem with him.He can't taunt exactly when you want him to and that might cost you losing Palp or Nihilus quite quickly.I would choose any day Shore in this line-up.Palp,Vader,Nihilus,Shore and TFP/Tarkin.
  • Hey all
    I have been running zzEP, DV, Thrawn, Zavage and Zylo for the last couple months, never used a tank in Arena.
    Thanks to the rework I can make it into top 200 quite easily but not any further. I lost my account for about a year so I'm a little behind my shardmates when it comes to legendary toons or gear.

Anyone care to give me a little advice here?
    I'd like to swap out Zylo, but who to go for the open spot?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/defekt713/

Is my Stormtrooper good enough?
    When does Shore become viable for arena?

Or should I stay without a tank and put another offensive toon in?

Thanks in advance.
  • Revi
    573 posts Member
    I have never used a Tank since I started (dec 2015 shard) always been a top 100 player.
    Been using the same team now for over 6 months and its held top 50 with no tank... As I transition to EP lead team I will continue to omit a tank from my arena team.
    Not only are they boring to use they are all garbage apart from GK.

The only team that truly benefits from a tank is NS.
  • Gawejn
    1104 posts Member
    DeFekt713 wrote: »
    Hey all
    I have been running zzEP, DV, Thrawn, Zavage and Zylo for the last couple months, never used a tank in Arena.
    Thanks to the rework I can make it into top 200 quite easily but not any further. I lost my account for about a year so I'm a little behind my shardmates when it comes to legendary toons or gear.

Anyone care to give me a little advice here?
    I'd like to swap out Zylo, but who to go for the open spot?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/defekt713/

Is my Stormtrooper good enough?
    When does Shore become viable for arena?

Or should I stay without a tank and put another offensive toon in?

Thanks in advance.
    Against Palp teams I would recommend Thrawn lead with Palp, Tarkin Vader, and DT, against everything else I would switch to Palp lead. Tank also would be good with Palp lead like Shore.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    To answer this question of "should i use a tank"
    You should look at your top 20 and see what percentage of them use a tank.
    Then look at yout top 50.

The answer to both except on baby shards will be 99% use tanks. EP lead is also using 2 tanks.

This tells you that in a more competitive environment, tanks will help you fall less.

Winning on offense without a tank and claiming this is better is shortsighted.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    I find when I’m busy at work and need to be able to just click auto and probably win...
    No tanks is the way to go... sure it probably sucks on defense. It definitely does get picked on more than others based on how much this team drops... into the 20’s :(

A shard mate on of mine asked me to make a video vs his new team to see how they do defensively...

So you go on full auto... a couple of random “no tanks” videos again just to show their viability :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LHxnUbxpW0Y

And another for good measure vs empire w/ Sion (don’t give me any “his Sion is only 4 stars” nonsense... his mods are solid and it wouldn’t have mattered if he was 7 stars)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUtA_5-57p0
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    If your mods are faster than most everyone on your shard you can get away with alot
  • Ariben
    95 posts Member
    Is it too late to vote "tanks"?
  • Ariben wrote: »
    Is it too late to vote "tanks"?

Yes. Yes it is.
  • Tfp is a great cheap counter to the expensive Sion
  • Wassup
    128 posts Member
    ZaulLover wrote: »
    Poe.. SThan... rg... Shore.. baze... SithTrooper... GK...
    All were meta. Because you can't run 4 supports or 5 attackers. Can't do it. You need balance. Just started a thread because IMO, no team can survive as meta much if all from same faction.
    You need the benefits from each type. Tanks have it perks, you'll need those, they'll continue to be. Maybe not the current tanks, but there is always a tank in the meta.

Tank isn’t a faction. Neither are support or attacker.
  • Tanks.

You're welcome.