Game Content Philosophy [MEGA]

Prev13456731
CG_RyDiggs
536 posts SWGOH Dev Team
edited March 2018
Post to discuss CG_Tophat's announcement about Capital Game's development philosophy and setting expectations going forward:
CG_TopHat wrote: »
Hello Holotable Heroes,

Content Philosophy

We wanted to take this opportunity to restate our ongoing strategy around releasing and curating new content in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. Specifically, we want to provide information about upcoming changes related to the recently released Sith Triumvirate Raid.

With each new Raid, our goals are to bring a new level of challenge to the game and to provide innovative gameplay which encourages strategic thinking and “outside the meta” play. We recognize that when a Raid is new, success in the Raid helps define high level competition in the game. Later, when the Raid becomes widely understood, we begin the process of designing a new Raid so players can be challenged again in this unique aspect of the game.

We regularly evaluate, and update, the current state of any Raid. This regular evaluation can lead to changes such as tuning tweaks, adjustment of rewards, and bug fixes. As a part of this process, we actively look for interactions that undermine the “spirit” of any new Raid and decide whether or not we need to make changes to the Raid to prevent them.

Teams that can perform infinite loops within the first week of release fall within this category of “undermining the design spirit”. We consider each incident of this nature individually to determine whether corrective actions are warranted. While we do have several processes in place to prevent these interactions from making it into the live game, they unfortunately can still happen. In order to protect the integrity of the design and the experience, we will continue to actively curate the Raids (and any other content) going forward.

Before proceeding with specific changes, we want to thank you all for your excitement for and participation in the Sith Triumvirate Raid. We’ve enjoyed watching the players engage and best the ancient and terrible Sith Lords. Your excitement in tackling one of our most challenging pieces of content to date, inspires the entire studio to continue our commitment to making the best game possible. Thank you for being part of the improvement process. The Galaxy of Heroes community is an amazing, dedicated, and passionate group of people. You are all key to the game’s current and future success!

... (Sith Raid Change elswhere)

As always, we appreciate your continued support. Thanks for playing with us.

CG_TopHat

FAQs and responses collected here:

CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
Zapdoszaps wrote: »
Please don’t nerf expose. please

This change is only for raid bosses.
This will have minimal impact on AAT/Rancor as expose is a minimal impact on those raids.

This is not nerfing expose for other areas of the game.

2. This will only affect Raid bosses, not other game areas.
3. This will have some minimal effect on Pit and AAT raids, but will not be nearly significant.
4. We will monitor the update afterwards and make sure design goals are being met.
5. CLARIFICATION:
The planned changes are designed to guard against STHan exploiting an infinite Turn Meter loop in Phases 3 and 4 of the Sith Triumvirate Raid. Consequently, those units with “on-damage” turn meter effects will see a change in performance in Phases 3 and 4. These units are unaffected in Phases 1 and 2.

Current testing indicates those units with “on-damage” effects applying resistible effects are performing very close to previous levels in Phases 3 and 4. These units are unaffected in Phases 1 and 2.

Current testing indicates those units with “on-damage” healing effects are less survivable in Phases 3 and 4. These units are unaffected in Phases 1 and 2.

6. RESTATED from OP:
Recognizing this change has an impact on overall balance, we will be lowering the health of the Sith Triumvirate Raid slightly as well to bring it more inline with our intended design.
Development Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
Post edited by CG_RyDiggs on

Replies

• provide innovative gameplay which encourages strategic thinking and “outside the meta” play.
    I didn't realize ST Han was meta

Glad you fellas decided to make a more balanced edit to Traya in the raid, and the health pool, hope rewards get a buff too to remove challenge gear
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • Wow they're even nerfing the Rey team.
  • Challenge gear should not be in any raid pool. It is a slap in the face to all players
  • Themy
    96 posts Member
    You guys better lower the crap out of the health pools if you’re nerfing the pretty much only source of damage in this **** designed raid.
  • vice
    90 posts Member
    can i have my zeta on finn refunded?
  • provide innovative gameplay which encourages strategic thinking and “outside the meta” play.

Glad you fellas decided to make a more balanced edit to Traya in the raid, and the health pool, hope rewards get a buff too to remove challenge gear

I hope our players remember, we ALWAYS try to do the best thing for the game. We have to think globally for the millions of players out there, and appreciate hearing we're aligning with players.

Cheers!
  • Broxxor
    595 posts Member
    "We want to create an experience that encourages innovative thinking with characters that aren't in the meta" - players do exactly that "We're nerfing all of those characters. Find something else"
  • MSF...
  • Reminder, this thread is to discuss:

Capital Games content philosophy, knowing some members of our community may not be aware of SWGOH being a living breathing growing game.

I'm having a discussion here to clarify that point now, so it's clear going forward.
  • Vengence
    1102 posts Member
    While I understand the theory of undermining the spirit of the raid I do not understand the “fix” so when the bonds of weakness damages my character it no longer counts as damage to that character’s abilities. Can I also damage the raid boss without it counting as damage
  • Absolutely ridiculous to nerf expose throughout all raids. And don't nerf their HP jeez nerf the damage taken by our teams. Enrage is almost a pointless mechanic right now!
  • Nerfing expose? Seriously?
  • CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    provide innovative gameplay which encourages strategic thinking and “outside the meta” play.

I hope our players remember, we ALWAYS try to do the best thing for the game. We have to think globally for the millions of players out there, and appreciate hearing we're aligning with players.

Cheers!

Yeah, sure.
  • vice wrote: »

I'm not aware of any changes not noted above. You can contact Customer Service at your discretion for clarity.
  • Donkey rides for everyone!
  • Please don’t nerf expose. please

Cheers!

How can you read this forum and believe you are aligning with players?

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    As long as you listen to the communities primary concerns as well (i.e. disproportinate reward structure, badly described difficulty setting) I'm all behind you sticking with your vision of the game and doing as many changes as it takes. That's what keeps the game fresh.
    vice wrote: »

I'm not aware of any changes not noted above. You can contact Customer Service at your discretion for clarity.

Erm... Nerfing expose damage on all raids might also affect zfinn resistance team damage on aat...?

Just speculating that's what the poster meant.

Perhaps you could contact him at your discretion for clarity?
  • CG_RyDiggs
    536 posts SWGOH Dev Team
    edited March 2018

This is for raid bosses only. (sorry for caps)

Thanks my first FAQ :)
  • Hakalugy wrote: »
    @CG_RyDiggs you guys had to assume that there wouldn't be a friendly response to this. You're basically saying that toons have abilities until you guys decide they don't.

That’s a bingo.

Goal post, meet “move backwards”

Reminder, this thread is to discuss:

Capital Games content philosophy, knowing some members of our community may not be aware of SWGOH being a living breathing growing game.

I'm having a discussion here to clarify that point now, so it's clear going forward.

Why is it that every time the player base gets a leg up, it gets ripped from us? Everytime!! Any advantage that we come up with is always taken away. Why should we even try? We meet success just to have that taken from us is insulting. I love this game and star wars, but, jeez. Can you guys just give us a break and let us enjoy what we accomplish? What about the bugs that benefit the raid bosses? Didn't hear anything about that. All I heard was you guys are doing to good, can't have that. Unbelieveable.
  • Cossin
    301 posts Member
    Well, maybe an unpopular opinion:

You look into players and whether you have to take actions if they only use what you have given them? A raid and some characters... no outside, third-party tools involved?
    Sorry, but in all seriousness, that is your fault, not theirs.
    They found a loophole you forgot to close, rather than taking actions against them you should be closing the loophole and be thankful for the input.

TL:DR
    It cannot be any players fault if they only use what you have given them...
    Or could you elaborate further? You even said it yourself, that things like that can happen?!

P.s.:
    That would be the same as a teacher handing you a calculator and a math exam, saying „here‘s all the materials you‘ll get for the test“. You start working on the exam with the calculator and the teacher wants to fail you on the test, because he wanted you not to use calculator...
  • The changes outside sthan are surprising, but it is as it is. That being said with you so commited for improvement and balancing it would be finally time to have a look at the challenge/useless gear issue in raid rewards.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    The new raid is incredibly cool and I love it, let me say that first. I can understand changing STHan, etc but nerfing expose seems like a real poke in the eye. It’s not necessary and it will only frustrate the entire player base.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    innovative gameplay which encourages strategic thinking and “outside the meta” play
    @CG_RyDiggs The players did exactly that! So we should think strategically and outside the meta, but TOO strategically and outside the meta?
    I completely 100% understand you don't want the new raid on farm Day 1. But to tell the community you want them to develop new and exciting strategies, then punish them because their strategies were too effective is not only hypocritical, it's insulting!
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Guys! I made some banana soup today!
  • Pa_lin
    80 posts Member
    Kitten rage;

You only needed to adress the sth and ns loops. You’re going a long way to ruin the game for your player base.
  • Hakalugy wrote: »
    @CG_RyDiggs you guys had to assume that there wouldn't be a friendly response to this. You're basically saying that toons have abilities until you guys decide they don't.

Considering all previous raids (reducing HAAT normal overall health, changing Rancor) and all characters and all events, this has been and will be the case going forward.

Note, all changes are in mind to be for the long term good of the game. A healthy game and dedicated community are the key to success.

RT
  • JeerCScaas wrote: »
    CG_RyDiggs wrote: »

THIS IS ONLY FOR RAID BOSSES.

Thanks my first FAQ :)

So, something which was working for a year, won't be anymore.
    Young guilds I've been taking care and instructing to farm resistance to succeed in HAAT ... hmm, how to say that, sorry guys, my bad, actually it doesn't work.

This is exactly my thought. My guild is 125 million GP. Although the expose change to AAT and Rancor won’t affect us, it will cripple smalller guilds, and like you said, people or other guilds I’ve been working with to help them. Guilds will need to back peddle to previous tiers no doubt as they work on new ways of getting through this. This is where the real pain lies in this topic

With that being said, expose... which is essentially the best way to do damage in the sith raid, and in no way is a means of solo-ing it, or doing substantial damage for that matter, really irks me. Rey is working as intended, and if you mean to tell me you didnt play test your newest, most powerful, and most popular toon before this. I am shocked. Not to mention, the mechanic has been around in other raids for a year.

With all this into consideration. Remove the GD challenge gear! There is 0 reason my now harder to get rewards should be down right useless.
This discussion has been closed.