Game Content Philosophy [MEGA]

Replies

• Dani07
    34 posts Member
    Options
    CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm heading out for the day, I know I haven't answered nearly all the great questions or responded to the passionate feedback here.

I'll be out of the office tomorrow, BUT will be back Monday Morning. I'm hoping with more information to share, but certainly to reply to more comments.

Until Monday!

RT

While I understand why STH is being "fixed", I have yet to see a valid reason why JTR is being adjusted AT ALL, even if it's just minimal as @CG_RyDiggs continues to maintain. The issue isn't that JTR is overpowered for this raid. The issue is that she's the only viable setup for this raid. She's not restricting other characters from being used effectively. Other toons aren't viable.

She was not an easy character to get. I had to farm those awful vets for months prior to get all the requirements to unlock her, in addition to the legendary BB8 event. And now you want to make her worse, even if it is marginal??? There's no reason for it. None.

CG is completely out of touch with their player base. My guild is very strong. We beat tier 6 and were all underwhelmed by the rewards for the amount of time and theory crafting and work we put in.

I would hope CG spends the weekend rethinking this decision about JTR because they have yet to provide a good reason for this decision.

I’ve got my team ready to get JTR for the next time she comes out , but what’s the point . They nerfed kylo just before I’d gotten him ready for the tank. I personally think the bosses that are making these criminal decisions, should take the weekend to play the game for themselves, instead of hiring people to do it for them, as this is why everything is going wrong with this great game. The people at the top are non gamers and completely out of touch with us who are. It’s all about the money and next new meta for them. The fact , we keep on being punished for our achievements and tactics , that we , come up with is appalling!!!!! We purchase/intense farm for certain reasons and then because they bring out broken content that they’ve not thought through properly they then break our fixed stuff????? This is not putting the customer first.
  • Options
    I would like to have more information and specifics on how expose will work in the raids after the update. This is very unfortunate news since my resistance team is my #1 team. I have JTR fully upgraded and all the rest at g12 and I still feel like I can barely scratch my opponents in the Sith raid.
  • ExC
    5 posts Member
    Options
    There are basically two philosophies applicable in this game:

1) Working hard and regular to achieve goals and obtain just rewards for it

2) Make random changes in the game that can break the "work" of many months and then call it "challenges"

As it is a game of competition between players with a long term disposition, the important thing is that it ends up being a process of constant comparison between the participants. The challenge is to overcome the opposite and at least have the feeling that you can do it.

With the point one, you know that those who spend more economic resources are ahead but even if you don't, if you do a good job you can reach goals and be competitive.

Point two creates a space of uncertainty in which every effort can be useless because a "new challenge" throws away what has already been achieved. That's no problem for those who can adapt quickly by paying what is necessary.

If the philosophy of the game is the second, I have no future in this game, not because I don't want to, but because the designers have decided so.
  • Artery
    20 posts Member
    Options
    My guild doesn't have anyone who has JTR currently, so that doesn't effect us, however I will be happy if with the health being lowered, my teams that currently do >1% each will do more!
  • Dani07
    34 posts Member
    Options
    There’s a sub forum where you can vote yes or no to the expose nerf. Whether they’ll listen is another matter , but if as many people vote as possible then who knows?
  • Sumbu
    30 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I wonder if there is a current strategy/philosophy for legendary events.
    Would be really nice if a CG could comment on it.
    The last event of this kind is now over 50 days - and unfortunately we lack any information about whether there could be another at some point.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    AnnerDoon wrote: »
    Isolation on STHan prevents other allies from gaining TM as it is.

Hmm... Would having STHan gain some TM really be a nerf in other content? Even with some TM gain, I'd think he would just eventually die before taking a turn anyway? Honestly, I haven't used that mechanic since the Wiggs era. So I'm open to the fact that I may be wrong.

Maybe give him 1% TM for each living ally?

Interesting that he actually WAS used in the Wiggs era as you say. He was meta. And since plenty of old/alternate metas are great again in TW I would hate it if he got the nerf you mentioned. No thanks. He's not the problem. The raid is. Back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    Me: You're nerfed in Sith raid, Kylo.
    Kylo: ?? I was never abused in that raid?
    Me: Well you are intended to be even worse.
  • Options
    So, let me start off by saying I know this is probably going to fall on deaf ears, but just for the sake of getting my thoughts out there I want to make it known to all the Devs who read this how deeply disappointing it is to see you modify the older raids simply because Jedi Training Rey, and Zeta Finn were two of the most useful raid teams out there. I know there are literally hundreds of posts that already share this sentiment, and I'm hopeful that perhaps with enough push there will be a chance to reconsider something that the community is greatly against.

Like many others out there I've also spent real world money on obtaining JTRey, and gearing up most of my Resistance toons. Before JTR was introduced to the game, my guild was unable to complete the HAAT, and currently we are mid-farm. Myself and another guild member went out of our way, spending a considerable amount of money to insure that we would get Rey specifically for her usefulness in the HAAT raid, and now we are all fearful we will have to go back to doing the 6 star version of the raid simply because Rey and Finn perform exactly as the game designers originally intended. Rey has only been out for three months, and in all that time, with all her development, it is now that she is deemed too powerful in raids? She was sold to us based on her ability to be useful in raids.

Don't believe me? I recently re-watched several of the Game Changers interviews with Daniel McLaren (AKA @I'm-Not-Really-A-Jedi.) In his interview with AhnoldT101 (12/12/17) he states at 2:12 he states how she was designed with three purposes in mind: PvP, Territory Battles/Wars, and "How can she function within the raids." Also in that interview he says at 16:27 "It's never our intent to frustrate players in negative way"..."We do hear them"..."when we've gotten it right we've kept our head down and said 'cool, I'm glad that's what you needed...and continued to move forward with that.'"

I think now is the time to say "cool, Jedi Training Rey is exactly what our players want. We got it right, let's move on without changing her raid viability." Daniel also expressed Rey's raid viability in his Warrior Presents interview (12/12/17,) when Warrior asked to be "sold" on her (11:56) Daniel made a point to express how "she has a great spot inside the raid system." But really, he wasn't just selling Warrior on Rey. He was selling the greater SWGOH community on how useful she would be in all aspects of the game, and many people, like myself, spent a great deal of money and time getting her simply because it would help put the guild over the top for completing the HAAT.

But through all the Game Changers video interviews there was one common thread that kept coming up, and that was the how committed the developers are to hearing the concerns and issues provided by the players, and how they never want to make changes to the game that adversely affects their relationship to the player base. This is a classic example of overreacting a problem that doesn't exist. Sure the Stormtrooper Han issue needed to be addressed. I don't think I've seen a single post out of the over 700 in this thread that argue that it didn't need to be fixed at least somewhat. Changing how exposes work, however, is a completely unrelated function of the game that is specifically working as it was intended to work. Asking players that have committed months into teams specifically designed to use the synergies that were designed into the game to simply find other creative solutions proves you aren't committed to hearing or understanding your player base. For many of us, even those who spend money, grinding a new team in this game takes an incredibly long time.

I guess I'm just frustrated that you're taking a functioning mechanic, working completely as intended, and deciding to tone it down to a level that could make our earned teams less useful. Even in this message board @CG_RyDiggs starts off using words like "minimally," and "slightly reduced" to describe the impact the changes with have on the expose mechanic. However, on page 20 the story slight changed to "Fixing expose issue across Raid Bosses does have an impact. We're confident there are many widely usable combinations and strategies to solve Rancor/AAT and Sith." So it seems like their might be more of an impact than originally stated. Either way you're attempting to "fix" an issue that doesn't exist. As @I'm-Not-Really-A-Jedi pointed out, Rey is supposed to be really really good in raids. That was a huge selling point.

I urge you, for the sake of the community, and the hundreds of players that have voiced their opinion on this board alone, and the thousands who are frustrated but haven't voice their opinion, please reconsider the changes to expose damage on the raid bosses. Prove that you're actually listening to your player base, and you really care about the health of the game. Prove that you really have the best interests of your players at heart, and that when your players commit to obtaining the premium content you provide that you'll actually stand behind that content instead of severely weakening it three months later. I've already gone on and on...We've all been going on and on. Please. Listen.
  • Options
    I would like to ask what is it that you expect players to use to defeat the raid.

Debuffs are one of the fundamental mechanics that many characters rely on to do well. These are nullified by stacking tenacity. Those that don't use debuffs, use buffs instead. This tactic is punished by protection recovery plus giving the boss buffs.

Those that don't need both, use assists and other multiple attacks. This is punished by defense down, protection loss (Nihilus), or increased damage from bosses (Sion and Traya), daze. Healing? Health constantly pushed down by AoE effects that occur every single turn. Characters that can be revived, like Nightsisters, Jyn, SRP? Annihilate. Characters with high gear levels, G12? Attacks ignore protection.

What about high max health? Reduced by Marauder, damage over time effects, unlimited staggers (Traya). Fast characters? More attacks means the boss gets more buffed, and important raid abilities expire quickly. Slow characters? Bosses get more turns to hit with stolen buffs.

It's no surprise that the only teams that worked are the ones that bypass these design (irresistible effects). There is simply nothing left. You have successfully covered every single base.
  • Options
    DangBusta wrote: »
    Geshtianna wrote: »
    I would like to ask what is it that you expect players to use to defeat the raid.
    High Tenacity, in order to not get inflicted with DD on Basic use?
    All your assists will work just fine if everyone has Tenacity through the roof.
    This Raid ignores almost every single other attribute.
    Potency? Irrelevant.
    Protection? Irrelevant.
    Health? Irrelevant.

CC, CD, Offence & Tenacity seem to be the only things which still have any purpose left in the Sith Raid.

Most characters don't have such natural attributes, because they're designed to receive them from buffs (does any character have stacking tenacity? I only know of stacking potency). With high enough of all these mentioned stats, it still would do negligible damage - try a troopers team without using deathmark.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    DangBusta wrote: »
    I've not had a single character receive DD, when already granted Tenacity Up.

Therefore, mods to apply a greater amount of Tenacity, without the buff, should be able to be expected to have the same effect.
    3 x Tenacity set for 30% plus Tenacity cross at 24%. Apply that and all toons will have a far greater chance of being productive, scoring better & not increasing his Protection and, therefore, not removing the option to score.

That's because Ten Up grants like 999999% tenacity or something stupidly high. With Ten Up, you are literally immune to debuffs.

You might be on to something with tenacity sets and crosses, but it would probably take a leader that gave tenacity as well to become really effective.
  • Lunchboxx77
    63 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @CG_RyDiggs I've had a rant. I've vented. Now I have something constructive to say lol.
    We love this game, otherwise we wouldn't get so worked up over something like this.
    I, personally, love the new raid and don't have an issue with you changing things, not really.
    A new raid SHOULD be insanely hard, both rancor and AAT were when they came out. Then you release new characters that make them easier to beat and then eventually we're able to solo the entire raid on Auto. To me that's the life cycle of a swgoh raid.
    However I do think that you guys should've done proper testing to avoid changing stuff so soon after release.
    We're gamers, and most of us if not all, are fairly computer savey. We know that things don't always behave the way you intend, so if you need to delay an announced release to make sure it's good, we'll understand.

You just need to tell us that's what's happening.

The reason the aat release was such a debacle was that you said it was coming in august, it didn't happen and we heard NOTHING from you!

I've been playing this since beta release, so I've been here since the start, and the biggest issue I've seen with you guys is you're lack of proper communitarian with your player base. Don't just sit back and be 'always watching'. Interact with us. Talk to us!

So many of the things I've seen the community get worked up about could've been avoided, or at least mitigated, if you'd just communicated with us properly, instead of just giving us glib responses. Especially lately.
    We've just come off the back of a fairly disappointing QoL release. Don't get me wrong, there are some great features, but two of the main things the community wanted, mod management and multi redeem Bronziums, weren't there, and we've had no explanation as to why.
    And now you're changing not just the current raid but the previous raids too, and disrupting the Raid lifecycle you've established.
    From what I've seen thatched main issue here.

The previous raids aren't broken, don't fix them!

We've made this very clear and all we've had from you are banal platitudes on how it's has to do with the 'integrity of the game' and so on.

I think that CG is at a cross roads right now. You can continue to treat the community the way you are and end up loosing a large percentage of your loyal player base, because, seriously, we don't want to stop playing but we've about had a gutful.
    Or you can change they way you do things. Stop treating us like clients and start treating us like the community that absolutely love this game that you've created, that we are.
    Please listen to us and don't change the two earlier raids. And if for some reason you can't change the mechanics in the sith raid without changing the mechanics in the other two, then just tell us that that's the case!
    Same with the QoL updates we wanted but didn't get, are they not possible, are they something you're working on but don't have ready yet? Just tell us what's going on!

We're not ****, we know CG is a company and needs to make profits, and we don't have problem with that. You making profits = us getting cool new material.
    And we want cool new material!!
    Despite what's happening now, you've done more right than you've done wrong, you just need to change you're attitude towards the community. We're not the enemy. Communicate with us more.
    Happy players open their wallets a lot more than unhappy players....
  • Options
    Btw, sorry for the essay :)
  • Viserys
    461 posts Member
    Options
    Not to mention that the way CG is choosing to nerf this is boneheaded. If they just reduce expose damage -- for example, cutting it in half, that doesn't future proof raids at all. When we have a raid with a phase at 250M health, the exposes are back to hitting for 40k+ a hit.

If they just give raid bosses a hard numerical cap on percent effect damage that's specific to the raid boss, they can modify expose without affecting current raids *at all* and then adjust damage output in the STR and all future raids with mathematical specificity. That's actually future proofing raids.

If there are some conclusions to take from this thread, they are this:
    1. CG have already decided what to do, and will make the changes to expose no matter what anyone says
    2. They will make the changes they already decided on making no matter what
    3. All rational argument, sentimental complaint, etc. will be entirely ignored - which is why all communication on this issue has entirely missed the point.
    4. They will never again revisit their design decision, and this will be a permanent and irrevocable change.

"Why don't you wait and see" isn't really acceptable to us.

The upcoming expose changes would be more palatable and acceptable if there was:

A: A guarantee that the Rancor/Tank would not be affect AT ALL (not "probably a minimal effect")

B: The raid mechanics (tenacity snowball) were revisited to make teams not relying on expose more capable of doing actual damage.

We've been told the raid HP will be "slightly" reduced, which is developer code for "Not enough to make much of a difference". I just don't think that's good enough. A 25% reduction might give other teams a better share of the damage, but many rational players have pointed out that tenacity snowball mechanic strips a huge swath of characters of their viability. A much better mechanic would be "When hit, Raid boss has a 30% chance to auto-buff with Tenacity Up until its next turn" as its not only much easier to understand, it permits a counter strategy of removing the buff.
  • Eclipso
    199 posts Member
    Options
    Its unfortunate that a lot of things mentioned by the players in here are legitimately an issue (while a few are silly obviously) but we have got to remember, its all set up to make money, think about an issue you have and most the time the root of it is profits because we let the gaming industry allow micro transactions in and were getting what we paid for so to speak.
  • Verror
    18 posts Member
    Options
    I appreciate your explaining of your content philosophy however as a HEAVY spender, you should take account of our philosophy as well: we decide to buy stuff expecting what advertised in terms of features/abilities etc and if you change the features afterwards, after a while not only you lose any credibility, not only we stop buying stuff but at some point we have all the bases and rights to ask for a full refund and delete the app.
    So please, keep this very good game rolling and do not change performances and features of the items we spend our hard earned cash on.
  • Options
    I have 3.3mill GP and of JtR is seriously needed for this raid then I’m just going to call it quits. I never got JtR and don’t want to either and if forced to for this new raid I’m out. Anyone else feeling the same way?
  • Options
    Her Expose is being Nerfed. So she will be alright but not as amazing in Raids.

Don’t worry you can still use other toons to do very low damage
  • ThePenguin77
    186 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yeah it's not possible to beat t6 without jtr, and it looks like almost everyone in the guild needs to have her to beat it. And they are patching free to play ways to get a good amount of damage. Terrible paywall idea, will make many people quit the game.
  • Lunchboxx77
    63 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Eclipso wrote: »
    Its unfortunate that a lot of things mentioned by the players in here are legitimately an issue (while a few are silly obviously) but we have got to remember, its all set up to make money, think about an issue you have and most the time the root of it is profits because we let the gaming industry allow micro transactions in and were getting what we paid for so to speak.

I think that micro transactions in console and pc games where you buy them outright are insulting because you'll get maybe, and I mean maybe, 6 months of new content.
    Games like this are different as I hope to be playing this year's from now and have it be a vastly evolved game, one that is constantly being updated with new elements introduced. And to do that CG needs to keep making money and ive no issue helping them do that as long as they treat us with the respect we deserve
  • Options
    If Rey is Nerfed in HAAT I quit. I don’t even care about that pos sith raid.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    They are nerfing expose because people thought JTR was too powerful in the raid.

Now they haven't said how much it's being nerfed by everyone's up in arms anyways (they even said it shouldn't effect Haat but still...)

... so they just made her less necessary?
  • Options
    That would be like 4 zetas wastes. Iam so ****!
  • Options
    I don't think better communication from them is an unreasonable thing to expect
  • Options
    Listened to a YouTuber and basically with the nerfs still will make JtR the only viable squad for heroic. Sure other squads can for much less dmg but heroic will never get beaten unless our guild has a lot of JtR sqauds. Personally that doesn’t sit to well with me bc I don’t want JtR and don’t want to feel forced to get her.
  • Options
    The nerf effects the raid only.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Just don't get JTR and accept that you'll be doing less damage than players with JTR. It's pretty much the same with any raid MVP.
    It used to be Teebo for the rancor, old school resistance and/or clones for the AAT etc etc. I didn't farm teebo when it mattered, i got raid han to 7* way later than quite a few of my guild mates. I did farm resistance and clones wich lead me to be the 2nd player in my guild to 7* kenobi. (and obviously lead to my guild being able to clear hAAT sooner).
    It has always been like that.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Grimstoned wrote: »

in the hAAT JTR's damage doesn't rely on the damage from exposes that much. The hAAT has way lower health than the sith raid so the impact will be way smaller.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36598 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    Grimstoned wrote: »

in the hAAT JTR's damage doesn't rely on the damage from exposes that much. The hAAT has way lower health than the sith raid so the impact will be way smaller.

Stop using logic. All the people who are screaming they paid for JTR and they won't drop another dime any more won't have your logic.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
This discussion has been closed.