Are jedi an answer to the "coin flip" arena?

AnUnusedName
56 posts Member
edited March 2018
Isn't it time for the Jedi to return? I'm legitimately asking because - as an empire purist - I don't run jedi.

However, when looking at all that the mainstay jedi characters offer, I can't help but think that this would give zPalpatine teams in particular (the current white bread of arena) quite a hard time.

QGJ lead = Zader's force crush wiffs.
You KNOW it will go first. And it will miss everyone due to foresight. Which means no culling blade cleanses. Which means no +20% turn meter. Which means it's now your whole team's turn.

GMY drops tenacity-up. Now no mass stun. Nihilus can't do much. Sion could prove a problem with his mass cleanse, but he's going AFTER nihilus so it's not so bad. Looks like a simpe win, even WITH crackling doom. Having Zariss and big damage like Ezra on hand could help.

Yes you're a sitting duck for CLS teams, but considering he's having a hellish time vs the Sith, your potential to climb is higher.

Alternatively, a GMY led team could prove useful? All the benefits of a thrawn lead without the drawback of a self-defeating ai on defense.

So that's my lengthy 2 cents. Again, I don't actually run jedi. But it would be cool to see them come back. What do you all think?

Replies

• It’s a possibility, as long as your Jedi (GMY) are definitely faster than their EP/DN, which shouldn’t be too difficult.

An issue with the Jedi is that they still don’t do a whole lot of damage. SiT or ShT would eat up a lot of attacks, which could allow time for their specials to come back.

Also, Vader would become INSANELY fast, and any smart player would instantly attack GMY and apply ability block in the first round rather than waste Force Crush.
  • Dwinkelm wrote: »

Also, Vader would become INSANELY fast, and any smart player would instantly attack GMY and apply ability block in the first round rather than waste Force Crush.

Ah that's a great point. I often forget that they can't resist that ability block. An auto taunter could help avoid that of course. But then what are we running? The auto taunter would have to have an immense amount of tenacity to resist the force crush. So it seems more like so much, a Jedi team would only be effective on attack.
  • That used to work when Zader was meta. I don't think it will anymore, at least not at the high end, unless they get a rework. They just don't hit hard enough and are too squishy. I used to run a zqgj squad in arena before CLS came along.
  • Jedi teams are part of the meta again!!

I can beat any team and reach top payout everyday. Unfortunately, even with zeta, Hermit Yoda is not a good option. Unless u have way better speed mods than opponent.

There's a lot of videos at YouTube showing how it works. Will share those videos later when I get home.

If u have average mods compared to your shard mates, use Han Solo so u have more firepower and can stun at start.

https://swgoh.gg/u/masterflinch/
  • So it seems more like so much, a Jedi team would only be effective on attack.

But, apart from Ezra, they don't really have any worthy attackers. So...

• Orleans
    177 posts Member
    Sion Torment and Vader ability block at the start. I don't think Jedi are the answer. They are lacking damage too.
  • Zevox
    172 posts Member
    Yes you're a sitting duck for CLS teams, but considering he's having a hellish time vs the Sith, your potential to climb is higher.
    Wait, what gave you that impression? As someone who's been running the Titans ever since CLS came back in December, I can tell you that the new Sith teams are not an issue for that team. They're easier to deal with than Rey teams, particularly Rey double Kenobi teams, actually, so I've been happy to see them showing up.

Stun Vader with Han, use CLS' special on Sith Trooper/GK, Fracture Sion, kill Palpatine and Nihilus, easy win. It's much more forgiving than the JTR matchup when something goes wrong and a complete blowout when everything goes right.
  • Zevox wrote: »
    Wait, what gave you that impression? As someone who's been running the Titans ever since CLS came back in December, I can tell you that the new Sith teams are not an issue for that team. They're easier to deal with than Rey teams, particularly Rey double Kenobi teams, actually, so I've been happy to see them showing up.

Stun Vader with Han, use CLS' special on Sith Trooper/GK, Fracture Sion, kill Palpatine and Nihilus, easy win. It's much more forgiving than the JTR matchup when something goes wrong and a complete blowout when everything goes right.

Agree 100% my experience is concurrent to this.
    Personal difficulty:

1. Rjt double kenobi -best imo
    2. Palp vader sion nihilus thrawn
    3. Rjt thrawn gk
    4. Palp vader sion nihilus gk
    5. Palp vader sithtrooper sion nihilus
  • DangBusta
    147 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    "Yes you're a sitting duck for CLS teams, but considering he's having a hellish time vs the Sith" so, if that were the case, wouldn't every single CLS team within range will instantly focus on you, rather than the EzPz teams that they have a hellish time with?
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    That's not the strategy, never use Han to stun Vader at the start, u don't need to, his force crush will be naturally countered by foresight.

Always goes for Thrawn, because AI will use his TM swap right at the start. Or against jedi Rey stun BB8.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I would love for Jedi to be useful but how do you overcome crap damage? Offense mods? Their crit chance is low too. I think Anakin and EDIT Ezra hits hard. Ashoka kinda. No one else really.

If you get it to work please post it. I want a reason to farm Fisto and Aayla over just platoon fodder.
    Post edited by VonZant on
  • Speed is the answer (like always) for Jedi in QGJ. They gain offense equal to three times their speed, so you can ideally get 600-750 additional offense, plus the bonus of them attacking/buffing/fires eight more often.

Under General Zarriss, health and defense are the mods you’re looking for... you want to outlast the opponent, war-of-attrition style. Asokha works well under GZ, as does ATF.

Aayla is pretty solid all-around and can plug-and-play on any Jedi team, but she doesn’t particularly thrive. Her stun brings a small element of control, which I what I actually think is a bigger detriment to the Jedi faction than damage
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    @VonZant @Dwinkelm I really like Anakin, but he doesn't have enough firepower for the current meta, with all that crit immunity from Kenobi around, Skywalker aeo won't work plus will give him expose.

I've tried several comps, anakin, aayla, hYoda, master yoda, zarris, etc... I think Han is needed because he brings raw power. I don't have ATF fully geared, maybe she will fit there.

Against EP meta, jedis and rebels have -35% potency, that means stun barely work. Even Solo modded with potency mods, his special deadeye get all resisted. My QGJ with over 80% potency can't land his basic that could remove enemy 30% TM as well. So Ayala unfortunately is not a good idea though.

Well good mods are not a must, but they help a lot. Nonetheless, if u wanna reach the top of arena, can't do it without decent mods, regardless of the team u are using.

• SeanutB
    482 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Jedi teams have a very hard time vs Emperor leader and Vader combo.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I've been following this dude footsteps, he's disrupting the meta :p
    Tons of videos, lots of jedi combinations working. Finally jedi have it's place under the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvyyWZj-Bf8
  • Revi
    573 posts Member
    erm... Rex (L).... Jedi is poopy.
  • Just wanted to thank everyone for responding. You've given me a lot to mull over lol.
  • Ringer
    33 posts Member
    Isn't it time for the Jedi to return? I'm legitimately asking because - as an empire purist - I don't run jedi.

However, when looking at all that the mainstay jedi characters offer, I can't help but think that this would give zPalpatine teams in particular (the current white bread of arena) quite a hard time.

QGJ lead = Zader's force crush wiffs.
    You KNOW it will go first. And it will miss everyone due to foresight. Which means no culling blade cleanses. Which means no +20% turn meter. Which means it's now your whole team's turn.

GMY drops tenacity-up. Now no mass stun. Nihilus can't do much. Sion could prove a problem with his mass cleanse, but he's going AFTER nihilus so it's not so bad. Looks like a simpe win, even WITH crackling doom. Having Zariss and big damage like Ezra on hand could help.

Alternatively, a GMY led team could prove useful? All the benefits of a thrawn lead without the drawback of a self-defeating ai on defense.

So that's my lengthy 2 cents. Again, I don't actually run jedi. But it would be cool to see them come back. What do you all think?

I don't run pure Jedi, but ZQGJ with zCLS, zR2, Zarris, and JKA (all gear 12) have actually done pretty well against the CLS teams and Rex leads, but it has a high variance rate. I have been anywhere from 98 to 198 as I have been trying to climb the ladder. It really hasn't made too much of a difference what the team composition is Wiggs, Chaze, GK/Barriss, Solo/Nihilus, it really depends on how quickly you kill there main non-CLS attacker as between QGJ and CLS you have two dispels to get around their GK, Shore, Baze, and sometimes killing the tank first is the best option.

Do I think they will answer the meta? Probably not, as I get wrecked by Palpatine leads and I don't imagine RJT teams are much easier. They would need to get a rework before they are more META viable as in my opinion, they aren't that powerful even though they have great synergy (Ezra and JKA, GK and Zarris, etc and without R2's number cruncher boost and CLS, I don't think my team would do as well as it does) and well there are a good number of Jedi, most of them are not adequate choices (even for the raids)

Obi-Wan: "It's over, Anakin. I have the high ground."
    Vader: "You underestimate my power."
    Obi-Wan: "Don't try it."

Discord: Ringer#6983