[Feedback] JTR back w/ BB8 [MERGE]

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • BionicGolem
    167 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Edward wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »

At least last time, we were informed about the events 10 days prior to it’s start.

And this time you had 14 weeks notice prior to start. Just keep farming and be ready next time.

I will be ready but you can’t be sure Rey will return in 3 months again. So to many players, they will actually have to wait 3+x months.

This time is an exception when you have a look of CLS and other legendary events.

CLS and JTR are heros journey not legendary. There is no set schedule for either, unfortunately that is the situation we play in.

Last time we had hints and rumors, then 10 days of confirmation, true. This time they had all that, and 3 months.

That 10 days prior notice can change everything, this event is so far the most difficult one, need FO to get BB8, need two 16 Cantina node farming to get the vets. We deserve a longer notice at least not shorter.

You had 3 months to get ready, unless you didnt have vets nodes unlocked when Rey HJ first dropped. I stared farming vets as soon as they landed in cantina nodes and didnt stop until i got both of them do 7*.
  • Edward wrote: »

At least last time, we were informed about the events 10 days prior to it’s start.

And this time you had 14 weeks notice prior to start. Just keep farming and be ready next time.

I will be ready but you can’t be sure Rey will return in 3 months again. So to many players, they will actually have to wait 3+x months.

This time is an exception when you have a look of CLS and other legendary events.

CLS and JTR are heros journey not legendary. There is no set schedule for either, unfortunately that is the situation we play in.

Last time we had hints and rumors, then 10 days of confirmation, true. This time they had all that, and 3 months.

That 10 days prior notice can change everything, this event is so far the most difficult one, need FO to get BB8, need two 16 Cantina node farming to get the vets. We deserve a longer notice at least not shorter.

You had 3 months to get ready, unless you didnt have vets nodes unlocked when Rey HJ first dropped.I stared farming vets as soon as they landed in catnia nodes and didnt stop until i got both of them do 7*.
  • Edward
    651 posts Member

You had 3 months to get ready, unless you didnt have vets nodes unlocked when Rey HJ first dropped. I stared farming vets as soon as they landed in cantina nodes and didnt stop until i got both of them do 7*.

A lot has happened in 3 months, without knowing when it returns, it’s hard to develop a good plan; with this short notice, it’s harder. That 3 months were not for you to farm the useless vets.

I am glad you got them 7*ed, while Rey is getting nerfed and has been replaced by EP in arena. Her only use is for Sith raid which gives terrible rewards.

My guild will be ready for Heroic after this.
  • StarSon
    7426 posts Member

A lot has happened in 3 months, without knowing when it returns, it’s hard to develop a good plan; with this short notice, it’s harder. That 3 months were not for you to farm the useless vets.

I am glad you got them 7*ed, while Rey is getting nerfed and has been replaced by EP in arena. Her only use is for Sith raid which gives terrible rewards.

lol "useless vets." Except they are needed for JTR. And you *knew* she was coming back eventually. Nothing to plan for, other than get them ASAP so you don't have to miss them when she comes back.

Also, *she* hasn't been nerfed, just the expose mechanic, and only in the raids, where she is still top dog, especially in Heroic where expose damage doesn't matter as much anyway. And, of course, Heroic rewards are amazing, and <=t6 rewards are still great for tokens.
  • FieldL
    96 posts Member

Again. Recurring events usually show up in the calendar. For CLS, we got a "what's next" hint. Now, the calendar gets updated two days before the event. If you don't see something fishy here, well, the Obi-Wan quote really fits here...[/quote]

Again. You still believe CG will tell you when the event will happen weeks ahead of time? Naive. CLS got a hint, but does that mean people starts farming the ep4 characters after the hint? I would blame CG for putting out JTR the first time being money grab. But this is the second time, months after the first time.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Boofpoof wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    For people defending this move, you have to bear in mind that someone had to make a coscious decision to not include this event in the calendar when it was first released. It's not like "stuff happens and deal with it", someone had to deliberately make it happen. What they achieved by this is effectively cutting off a lot of players from the only effective team for the new raid unless they whale out. Again, not by accident. This game used to be very ftp-friendly, now it is getting more and more coercive. As was stated here several times, to survive as a ftp means making smart decisions, but we just saw that we can't trust the information we are given and therefore have nothing to base our decisions on.

Did you consider that this was not a scheduled event, and they are trying to push out the event to help players with the new raid.

The advocated "smart decision" from almost everyone is once an event ends if you didn't get the toon, is to keep farming and working on that situation until you are in a position to get it. People may or may not follow that advice but you can't always pass the buck and blame someone else.

Not a scheduled event? Well, if that's the case (and I doubt it), nothing keeps them from moving it back a while. It overlaps with an assault battle now, so there is no issue with that at any other time. Really, no matter how you look at it, it's designed to cut people off rather than help with the raid.

There is a difference between help and a hand out. Sure no one likes a panic farm, but if JTR is that important to you, you should be all set if you missed her last time.

Please, stop with the fallacies. The importance of JTR only emerged with the Sith raid. If not for that, it would be no big deal. It's not like she owns arena or anything...

Pretty sure most guilds use a wall of JTR for TW. She is a great lead for TB. She still has a place in arena....

Yeah you are right, only place anyone needs her or would care to use her is the Sith Raid. I mean besides the fact that she can auto p3 and go into p4 of HAAT, but that's old news that no one cares about.

No argument there Kyno. I sound like a broken record (and don't mean to) but just thought we would have more time. Instead it's BAM! Two days notice with none of the fan fare of the last.

Yeah, it's a surprise. Which is why we always advocate focused farming on what you want. Especially event toons, procrastination kills.

She is incredibly useful, so I find it almost equally surprising people waited to be ready. This game is fluid and dynamic, you can't be ready for it all, but most people could have been ready for this one.

Kyno I keep seeing you say we've had plenty of time. Umm....I've been farming the vets since the last event and I have neither to 7 stars yet. I buy shards from the shop and farm cantina and I'm still short and I won't make it in time. Some of us just have the absolute worst luck in cantina. I've gone a few days at a time without seeing a single Han shard.

How about CG actually fix the drop rate issues with vets (I'm definitely not the only one to notice) before throwing JTR at us in two days? Nah, wouldn't make the money they want I know. I just find it hilarious you saying everyone had plenty of time when it's just not even close to true.

Just a quick point about buying shards vs. refreshing cantina (WARNING: math ahead)

Average drop rate over time is 33%.

That means for 100 crystal cantina refresh, you get 120 energy = 7.5 attempts (on a 16 energy node) = 2.5 shards. That comes to 40 crystals per shard.

Purchasing shards from shipments is 4 shards for 320 crystals. That comes to 80 crystals per shard.

TL;DR - if you have limited crystals (i.e. can't refresh cantina 3 times/day AND buy shards in shipments) and are purchasing shards in shipments instead of refreshing cantina, you are actually slowing yourself down and progressing half as fast as you could. That doesn't even account for the fact that you get many other rewards in cantina (credits, training droids, ship building materials, sim tix, cantina tokens, etc.)

That's neat and everything if the math actually worked out like you claim. I forced into buying shards from the shop because this magical 33% drop rate for vets would literally give me days where I wouldn't see a single drop. And no, I never received 8 shards in a day to balance it out.

Track your drop rate for a month. Post results. If you don't come out with 30-33%, you would be the first person since November of 2015 that tracked drop rates for a strong enough sample size and didn't come up with a 30-33% drop rate.

You can, of course choose to ignore everyone else who has done it - or presume that drop rates have been nerfed for you specifically, or you can benefit from the knowledge and hard work of those that have gone before you.

Here are two examples from the past year of people who have actually tracked cantina drop rates (and shown at least 33%):

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/106555/cantina-battle-character-farming-data-ongoing-updates#latest

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/135920/cantina-7d-captain-han-solo-drop-rate-report-38-8

Both are still active players, and I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions about updates since their posted results. Incidentally, Eventine's data also supports the long-held preumption of a 20% drop rate on purple gear as well.

Honestly, knowing the 33% drop rate makes it very easy to determine when you will unlock, 7* a character for events, etc.

Hey, Nikoms referenced my old post! Sweet!

Yeah, I tracked tons and tons of sims. Far more than I posted in that thread. I've got a ton of data on my phone waiting for me to post it.

Somewhat recently I gave up tracking cantina sims. It become abundantly clear that the drop rate approached 33% ish the more I simmed. It started to seem pointless.

Right now I still need 96 shards to get my Vets ready but I'm not worried. When you have 19k crystals saved up you don't really have to worry about much! (I'm 100% F2P so saving on that magnitude is not a small task)
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • FieldL
    96 posts Member
    Boofpoof wrote: »
    Like a kick in the teeth it is. Because the drop rates are just atrocious for the Vets I put them on the back burner until about 2 weeks ago. Considering the last JTR event was in December I theorized that they would bring back the R2/BB8 events first and that would give me enough time to get the Vets done after I farmed both of them to 5 stars back in December (using the double drop event for the both of them). And now the news that JTR is coming back way earlier than expected...

Yeah I know some are going to say "You should have been farming them since December and you wouldn't be in this situation". I'll accept that. But when it became apparent that JTR was of vital importance in the Sith raid I put Death Trooper on hold (he's another 16 energy pain in the kitten to farm) and went straight to them. I have Han at 6 stars (21/100 at the moment). And Chewie is sitting at 11/85 on the 5 star front. I had a feeling JTR would make an appearance soon but I certainly wasn't expecting her back this soon. Add all the noise about the JTR nerf for the Sith raid. And it just seems that this is another attempt to get people to panic farm before they send out the update with the nerf on exposes.

I guess my biggest complaint (if you want to call it that) is why can't there be more of a heads up notice for these type of events. Change the parameters just a bit and give me say one or two weeks notice (like the beginning of March) and it makes it easier to swallow. But 2 days notice in the middle of knowing that a nerf is coming. It just feels wrong to me. Feel free to shred my opinion apart. But that's what it is. An opinion.

First, what was the evidence of the theory or expectation that the event won’t come back until April or May? All speculations, no solid support at all.

Secondly, how long should the “advance notice” be? One week? Two weeks? A month? Like, all dates are subject to change. No one knows what will happen to this game a month from today. Also, being an educated person, you should know this game is designed for profit. Giving you notice months in advance is literally “feeding” you with a top tier character, like babying you, and which company would be as foolish as this?
  • I never expected to get JTR the next time she came around, even if it is much sooner than expected. I'm still working on getting BB-8 and that ain't going to happen this go around either. But we all knew who we should have been farming if we wanted them.

This is never going to change. Ever.

( also: is anyone else surprised that Vet Han and Vet Chewie aren't tagged as Resistance? They were only crucial to blowing up Starkiller Base. And then Chewie went on to help Rey save the remnants of the Resistance from ... the remnants of the First Order. )
  • Edward
    651 posts Member

lol "useless vets." Except they are needed for JTR. And you *knew* she was coming back eventually. Nothing to plan for, other than get them ASAP so you don't have to miss them when she comes back.

Also, *she* hasn't been nerfed, just the expose mechanic, and only in the raids, where she is still top dog, especially in Heroic where expose damage doesn't matter as much anyway. And, of course, Heroic rewards are amazing, and <=t6 rewards are still great for tokens.

Don’t you worry, I will be ready before the event ends at the minimum cost.
  • FieldL wrote: »

First, what was the evidence of the theory or expectation that the event won’t come back until April or May? All speculations, no solid support at all.

Secondly, how long should the “advance notice” be? One week? Two weeks? A month? Like, all dates are subject to change. No one knows what will happen to this game a month from today. Also, being an educated person, you should know this game is designed for profit. Giving you notice months in advance is literally “feeding” you with a top tier character, like babying you, and which company would be as foolish as this?

There was only speculation because there's next to no communication about the game asides from notifications days out with the intention to cause panic farming and buying of packs.

No one's expecting months notice. However some advance warning would be appreciated by the community as a sign of good will. Good will encourages people to spend in the game a lot more than forcing people down one particular route in the game and then restricting how much time they have to do that. But time and time again we don't get that good will.
    No one knows what will happen to this game a month from today.

No one knew that the new sith raid would be practically impossible to complete without JTR squads. That's what's caused the panic farming in case you haven't been reading the posts in this thread, and that's what's causing the backlash over releasing the event so close to the community finding that out.
    all dates are subject to change

This JTR event is back because of TLJ blu ray release so they say. They would have made that decision weeks/months in advance. Why did they then keep the event date under wraps?
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but we knew that CLS was coming back like a month beforehand. "Who's in command here, one only has to look" was pretty dang explicit that he was coming back, and if I remember correctly that was three weeks out. But for JTR we we're just straight up told 2 days beforehand, I think that's what annoys me the most about this.
  • TVF
    36573 posts Member
    MCThr33pio wrote: »
    ( also: is anyone else surprised that Vet Han and Vet Chewie aren't tagged as Resistance? They were only crucial to blowing up Starkiller Base. And then Chewie went on to help Rey save the remnants of the Resistance from ... the remnants of the First Order. )

Movie /= Game
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Ephran wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but we knew that CLS was coming back like a month beforehand. "Who's in command here, one only has to look" was pretty dang explicit that he was coming back, and if I remember correctly that was three weeks out. But for JTR we we're just straight up told 2 days beforehand, I think that's what annoys me the most about this.

Obviously, only the devs themselves know for sure why they weren't more forthcoming about JTRey coming back - and they're not saying. In general, information - especially about "big" events has always been kept on the down-low to encourage "panic farming". More accurately "panic spending".

I do agree, however, that I am more willing to spend when I am happy about the game and it's developers and the communication and work being put into the game. Which is why I have NOT spent money on this game in since 2016. But apparently the model works on some level, because in the 2+ years I have played, the MO hasn't changed.

I honestly think the JTRey event dropping so soon and out of nowhere is directly tied to all the raid issues. I think the release of the JTRey event is an attempt to appease people for the raid nerfs that are about to come. I do NOT believe it had anything to do with the BluRay release of the TLJ. That's just a convenient excuse. I don't think the development team had any idea that the JTRey teams would perform 5-10 times better than any other equally geared and modded teams. They certainly had no idea about STHan - their decided log in character. One only has to look at those issues, the Sion TM-removal bug and the many other issues surrounding the raid to realize that very little play testing was done.

There are two issues going on here - 1) poor testing in attempt to rush content out 2) poor communication - which is sometimes a direct result of #1. On top of all that is that often, fixes are then applied which create other issues - leading, once again to #1 and #2. A lot of the poor communication also has to do with "towing the company line" and what the community interface people are likely allowed and not allowed to discuss, reveal, etc.

TL;DR - There wasn't much "in advance" communication about the JTRey event because the decision to release it was too recent - and in direct response to all of the raid issues and the coming nerf. That doesn't make it okay - it just is.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • DojiBrian
    30 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    SithAmer wrote: »
    3 days notice for "two" "concurrent" legendary events!!!! No prior information, no double drops, no gap between the two events, no communication till a few hours back, etc.

This is yet another low in the history of poor customer relationship management. I have been diligently farming FO and Vets for the past many months on the assumption that F2P will get reasonable time, heads up and gap between the two OP legendary toon events!!!!

NOT DONE!!

JTR and CLS are not legendary events. They're heroes journey. Legendary characters can be unlocked at 5*, but Heroes can only be unlocked at 7*

Just saying.
  • If you're ready - great. (I'm not)

If you're not ready, and you want to focus on getting someone next time round then farm, farm, farm.

It really is that simple.
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Ephran wrote: »

Obviously, only the devs themselves know for sure why they weren't more forthcoming about JTRey coming back - and they're not saying. In general, information - especially about "big" events has always been kept on the down-low to encourage "panic farming". More accurately "panic spending".

I do agree, however, that I am more willing to spend when I am happy about the game and it's developers and the communication and work being put into the game. Which is why I have NOT spent money on this game in since 2016. But apparently the model works on some level, because in the 2+ years I have played, the MO hasn't changed.

I honestly think the JTRey event dropping so soon and out of nowhere is directly tied to all the raid issues. I think the release of the JTRey event is an attempt to appease people for the raid nerfs that are about to come. I do NOT believe it had anything to do with the BluRay release of the TLJ. That's just a convenient excuse. I don't think the development team had any idea that the JTRey teams would perform 5-10 times better than any other equally geared and modded teams. They certainly had no idea about STHan - their decided log in character. One only has to look at those issues, the Sion TM-removal bug and the many other issues surrounding the raid to realize that very little play testing was done.

There are two issues going on here - 1) poor testing in attempt to rush content out 2) poor communication - which is sometimes a direct result of #1. On top of all that is that often, fixes are then applied which create other issues - leading, once again to #1 and #2. A lot of the poor communication also has to do with "towing the company line" and what the community interface people are likely allowed and not allowed to discuss, reveal, etc.

TL;DR - There wasn't much "in advance" communication about the JTRey event because the decision to release it was too recent - and in direct response to all of the raid issues and the coming nerf. That doesn't make it okay - it just is.

I'm 99% sure that you're completely correct. If we had been told two weeks ago I woulda saved crystals for cantina refreshes instead of regular energy refreshes for gear. I spent 100 crystals for gear about 20 minutes before they announced she was coming back and probably a thousand or 2 the week before, I would have had Han 7* by now if they had hinted. Anyway, very unlikely I'll get her this time, but I do know at least one of my guild mates should so we can finally finish the HAAT so I'm grateful for that.
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member
    I personally refuse to panic farm anymore. I’ll add them to the next farm list but I’m not spending money on gear/cash and ability mats on useless toons for a shot at a semi useful toon sorry CLS and JTR outside of raids they are just not amazing and have stupid tags on their names.
  • Guibs
    11 posts Member
    Like others have mentioned, getting JTR back so soon is screwing me since I have been farming the vets since the last appearances (finished deathtroopper first though) and I have vets at 6 stars and Chewie at 5 stars. No one I can complete them in time once again so I guess I won’t be able to pull my weight in the new raid for months again.

I would hope they will do double farm for them when the JTR even starts but even with this, I won’t make it. Sucks that it’s all about these nods farms while I have 20k Catina, galactic and Arena tokens laying around with nothing worth spending them on because EA abandoned these stores by not adding new characters to them since for ever.
  • Honestly unless you started farming the Vets before the first JTR event, I dont know how you have them now without spending money. I've been farming them both non stop since the day the first event ended and i'm still 140 shards short. I was looking forward to the April release as I would have been ready by then. Now I'll have to wait another 4 months for the next one. I believe this is what is ticking people off the most, I bet many of us are less than a month away from being ready but now we have to wait roughly another 4 months before we can. Feels like all the crystals and enduring crappy drop rates are for nothing.
  • Shoutout to everyone complaining about the lack of notice:
    It doesn't matter if you have notice three weeks ahead or two days ahead. If you REALLY want this character, you should be farming as fast as possible anyway. The only time that notice is necessary is the first time around to find out the requirements. Otherwise, you know the vets are required, put all your crystals every day into cantina refreshes and get them. If you wait until they announce the return of an event and then panic farm, you're a fool. If you don't get it the first time, focus EVERYTHING on the requisites.
  • The lack of specific notice is pretty uncool, I agree.

I managed to get RJT the first time around because I started farming the Vets as soon as they hit their respective Cantina nodes. That said, I had to buy the pack to be able to get her on the first day. Probably would have been able to finish the Vets for "free" towards then end of her first event, but I didn't wanna wait and had her 15 mins after she went live. I didn't care that the general consensus was that she wasn't that great.

Had I not been able to get her last time, I most definitely would have continued farming the Vets until they were done. You can take any sort of "cadence" or "schedule" for granted around here. If getting a particular character is important to you, then you need to focus down those requirements. That's the simple truth.

Good luck to everyone still in the running. Better luck next time to those that will miss out. Finish up the requirements and move on.
  • What are the required toons beside chewie,han,bb8 i dont remember
  • Nurgle
    252 posts Member
    What are the required toons beside chewie,han,bb8 i dont remember

It was posted two pages ago by @Edward

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/147608/reys-heros-journey-character-requirements
    I‘M PICKLE RICK!
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    TL;DR: If you are above 500 in arena then you can on average, farm the vets if you started when Rey was released.

You need: 600 shard total (as long as you did marquee)

Shards if you made zero crystals a day:
    Daily energy over 90 days = 165*90 = 14,850 energy
    Shards = 14850/16 * .3 = 278 shards
    Remaining shards you need: 322

How many crystals a day do you need to finish the vets?
    322/.3 = attempts needed for shards = 1074
    16 energy per attempt = 17,173 energy needed
    100 crystals = 120 energy so 17173/1.2 =
    14,310 crystals (-900 from monthly) over 90 days = 149 crystals daily needed

You get 90 with dailes (assuming worst from prize box and you finish GW) so you need 60 more crystals daily... which you get if youre above 500 in arena!

This is also with a .3 drop rate, many people argue the data shows .33 which would make this easier. (Along with TB crystals, lucky daily prize box, and error CG crystals).

So yeah if youre above 500 in arena this was on average, doable for you, and more and more doable with a higher rank.

• Hard work reading this thread. Just a heads up, there's probably gunna be new toons released to coincide with the Solo movie.
    Why everyone was predicting a return of Jtr event cadence based on 1 previous heroes journey is beyond me, yet no-one factored in that this game is a massive free advert for movie/dvd/blu-Rey releases, so why not add that factor into all the theory-rumouring "when I expected the event to come back"
    Be like the Spanish Inquisition.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    While the timing of the event may suck, the "lack of notice" should be a surprise to nobody who has played the game for more than a couple of months.
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    After having 24hrs to mull it over, I'm not shocked how this has transpired. It's a marketing move for TLJ but skipping May 4th as some expected opens up our next batch of toons from the imminent Solo Movie.

April introduces three characters we've been waiting for: Han, Lando and Chewie...

I'm sure Ki'Ra and Beckett will arrive soon after. Perhaps with maybe a bounty hunter and an Empire toon. Who knows!

Wouldn't it be spooky after the Sith Raid and toon changes that this fantastic 5 suddenly make doing damage in said raid possible?

I wonder...
  • Would be good if they put some decently priced (in crystal) vet packs up, 1000 crystals for a hundred shards, 800 for 80 say, I think that would make this a lot more pleasing. Mind you, doubt that will happen as I think they like to charge a hell of a lot more
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    Halfbaked wrote: »
    yet no-one factored in that this game is a massive free advert for movie/dvd/blu-Rey releases

I've literally said twice in the last two pages that I was expecting her for the physical release of TLJ, which I would think would be more of an event than digital. I was expecting BB8 for the digital though, but I was ready for that hence why I didn't mention it.