How to become a developer for SWGOH?

Just out of curiosity - I'm an aspiring software developer and will hopefully get my CS degree in a couple of years. How would I go about applying to be a developer for this game?

Replies

• You apply
  • I wouldn't ask that question, if I was an employer I wouldn't hire someone who claims to be an "aspiring software engineer" but doesn't know how to use Google
  • Graduate from UC.
  • Scamakin_Diewalker
    8 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Was just hoping to get some personal input from someone who already works there, but thanks for your condescending response :)

And just as a clarification, I did obviously google around before asking this question but did not find an application site.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    They're up in Sacramento, CA, so that's the first hurdle to clear. If you're in, like, Indiana then it'd be easier to work for some company there for a while to build your resume before applying for the job that's 2000 miles away.

But if you're closer, go to their corporate page and check for openings. Good luck!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Are you trying to become a developer to get the insider info?
  • There was an article in game informer about how to get into gaming a few years back. If I remember correctly the best way is simply make a game. Put a team together work your butts off and make something that's enjoyable. Dosent have to be pretty. The main goal is to finish a workable game that is fun. Then pitch the game. Send them a link so they can play it. Finishing the game is key. It shows your love for gaming and the ability to function on just effort and little money.
  • That's great feedback! I just really love Star Wars, I really love this game, and I've found I have a knack for programming. Now that I'm getting to that point where I'm thinking about where I might work in the future, I have to admit that it'd be pretty cool to be able to work on this game and help add features and find bugs and stuff. This isn't like impending or anything, but I'd love to know more about it and what it's like to work on SWGOH.
  • BazeMalbus comin' in hot and salty!! Sounds like someone's application didn't get through to the right people lol
  • That's great feedback! I just really love Star Wars, I really love this game, and I've found I have a knack for programming. Now that I'm getting to that point where I'm thinking about where I might work in the future, I have to admit that it'd be pretty cool to be able to work on this game and help add features and find bugs and stuff. This isn't like impending or anything, but I'd love to know more about it and what it's like to work on SWGOH.

Might be a question worth aiming at the devs should they do another QnA down the line; should give an interesting response.
  • @Scamakin_Diewalker Here ya go
    https://www.ea.com/studios/capital-games/careers
    They almost always have dev positions open.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    @Scamakin_Diewalker Here ya go
    https://www.ea.com/studios/capital-games/careers
    They almost always have dev positions open.

Awesome, thanks so much!
  • 1. Learn how to program
    2. Send resume to capital games
    3. ?
    4. Profit
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    Just out of curiosity - I'm an aspiring software developer and will hopefully get my CS degree in a couple of years. How would I go about applying to be a developer for this game?

Mind if I offer you a tad bit of friendly workplace advice OP :wink:

From my past experience as an interviewer, literally hundreds of applicable employees with glamorous resume (doctrates, first honors, etc.) and background apply for job positions everyday. As brutal as it may be, we only have so much time for each and every one of them. Mind you, we went through your resume very thoroughly, but with all due respect there are always people better than you with better qualifications. That’s just life. However, that doesn’t mean we just pick whoever is best. In the end, it all comes down to several aspects:

1. Work experience
    We are talking about past experience in a real life situation. Best with a team. One can excel alone and create a great project, but it’s a different story as a team. I myself am no tech guru or developer, but I assume it wouldn't be much different across different fields. Recommendations from your former employer as well as achievements as a team can show you as a real teamplayer — which is often what we look for.

2. Personality and Communication
    We got it. You are smart. We can tell from all the resumes you sent us, but that doesn’t mean you are a good communicator. We don’t often ask our employees to be people’s person, but when it comes to communication, especially problems, errors and difficulties, we want our team to be honest and open about it instead of hiding it to themselves until it’s too late. Remember, there is no right or wrong answers in the real world, but only the wrong approach and wrong timing.

3. Passion
    Love your job. Love the product you are selling. My job requires me to read legal and business documents nearly 16 hours per day. Without a passion for it, you would suffer, and your team suffers for it as well. This is especially devastating if you are to be a game dev, as it is inevitable to affect you as a dev team and reflect in the updates and products you are bringing out. Ask yourself, do you love starwars? Are you a fan of programming everyday? Make sacrifices for it? Take on responsibilities and face critisicms from fans all over the world?

4. Creativity/ Initiative
    No dreams are too crazy, only people who are not crazy enough to dream. Sure, you may fail in the process, nobody likes your idea. Wow big deal. That’s what your teammates are for. I mean, heck, someone has to come up with saber wielding telekinesis green goblin called yoda! Remember, workplace initiative and creativity is always something your employer is keeping an eye out for.

Anyways, good luck OP! I hope you find your place as a dev and in the world! I look forward to meeting you on the forums as CG_Vader (seriously why is this not in the game forum already) :smile:
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Are you studying to be a software engineer? Want to study at IGN for a paid, six-week internship in San Francisco? Check out the link below and find out more! https://t.co/ryW1VK2Xko

Saw this tweet by IGN today, may be something to look into if you're willing to move. Good luck!
  • Here are a list of things you can start getting acquainted with that will help you towards your goal...

1. Unity - get it, learn it, live it. C# is likely their language of choice.
    2. Entity Systems - this is one you will need to understand fully to be considered for a job in game development.
    3. Familiarize yourself with 3d modeling/rigging. Try blender as I'm 99% sure they are using this as well.
    4. Shader programming - know it for pc, mobile & platform gaming. You'll need a working knowledge of vertex, geometry & fragment shaders.
    5. Matrix math - you'll need a firm understanding of this as well

This should get you moving in the right direction.
This discussion has been closed.