Asked to resign leader role by officer (Need Advice)

So one of my officers contacted me in Discord, asking if I can resign as leader and hand over the role to him. I was shocked, I consider him the chief of staff and/or deputy to the guild. I don’t know how to respond to this, I understand his statement but it feels like a coup... because after I resign the role, he could demote to a regular member. I have the 3rd highest galactic power in the guild, top two are regular members.

History behind the guild and how I become leader: In the beggining, it was a leader and 4 officers, I was a officer. Over a few months, each officer left and I was the only remaining officer managing the guild with a leader who was afk for 100+ days. I eventually reported the leader to EA to be demoted, I became leader. I promoted the most active members. Our officers changed over time but the two remained and never left. I call them the Chief of Staff and Raid Commander. We recently promoted 3 new members to officers. So my chief of staff is basically asking me to step aside, I am active and manage the guild actively by kicking undesirables, starting other raids and such, I am not lacking in my duties so I am shocked. Thoughts???

Replies

• Do you consult with the other O's before kicking people?

Is it possible you offended someone?

Did he give you any reasons behind the request? If not, you should ask.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    Sounds a bit fishy to me.

If you do all the things you should do as a leader, then he must have some reason behind it. Has he expressed the reasons why he feels he should be leader? If his opinion doesn't match yours then there's a chance he may go rogue and ruin the guild within minutes.

This occurs in most co-op games I'd wager. I know from Clash of Clans experience running a guild is a time consuming business and it's easy to criticize when things aren't going well. Officers need to be trustworthy. The question is, IF you were to step down would you trust this person to take the guild to the next level?

Seems to me a bad idea to hand it over.

Don't forget to pop back into this thread and let folks know what happens?

Good luck and be cautious :smile:

• CloudCityStalker
    8 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    @Kevern_Zaksor @Ebbda we have an agreed mutual understanding to kick anyone to under a certain GP and those who abuse guild rules.

Possible I put a laughing emoji in discord when someone posted a picture of a twitter post showing a dead dog in a carrier who was placed in a overhead bin on a plane, so possible someone who is a higher regarded member could of been rubbed the wrong way with that. (-_-)

His words:
    “Hey, i was thinking, i know you didnt ask for the leadership role yourself, but you took the charge and help shape this guild. So i was thinking if you would like, hand that role over to me, and allow me take on the mantle? Its up to you man and I'm just putting it out there.”

Haven’t replied, I was gonna tell him I will resign at later date when I become less active.
  • He doesn’t sound forceful. You can either be nice to him and tell him you’d like to keep going as leader or tell him to FO, and I don’t mean first order
  • Think this person is being a bit underhand and has their own agenda. Don’t resign, make them give specific reasons why they think you should resign and why they would be any better. See what th
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Put it to a guild vote
  • i would say nothing more than. appreciate you reaching out but im happy with the leader role and the direction we are heading
  • Ariben
    95 posts Member
    Are they sure that you do want to be the guild leader. That quote sounds pretty innocent and helpful to me.

You didn't plan on being a leader. If you don't want to I'll help you out. Doesn't sound like he wants to cut you out.

But you've interacted with the dude (as your right hand man) and would have a better sense of whether or not they have bad intentions. Do you think they would want to demote you?
  • only if your not active enough, but if you are what others have stated. give an explanation of why.
    me i handed over because i did not have the time and i absolutely trusted the one i handed it over to. took 6 months before they accepted but i knew they would be good for us as a group of guilds as well.
    it is mainly a trust issue a lot of times. if your not sure get that confirmation of why from them first before even contemplating handing it over. first you took the steps to get it from a dead-head leader. second you are active.
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    i would say nothing more than. appreciate you reaching out but im happy with the leader role and the direction we are heading

This seems the best option. If it doesn't sit well with him you'll soon find out why he randomly brought the subject up. Might be wise to chat with the other of your original 3 and see what they think.

Good call :smile:
  • i would say nothing more than. appreciate you reaching out but im happy with the leader role and the direction we are heading

I like this but also maybe focus in and ask if there is something they think is being overlooked or if they have an idea to improve things. In reality being leader is just a title the only difference between leader and officer is control over who is and isn't an officer, and setting the guild logo and description.
  • Sounds like you need to speak to this person more and find out more info.

What is sounds like from my perspective is that he maybe feels (unless you have put it out there previously or are exhibiting “body language “) that you are not really wanting to be the guild leader, and perhaps he is catching the vide and wants to make an attempt at seamless transition? You did mention that you became the defacto leader and even though you might be doing everything you claim, maybe he is better able and more willing to take over full role duties?

Being a guild leader is terribly time consuming and unless you REALLY want to do it, or have enough LT’s under you to handle everything, you burn out quick.

Apologies if I’m extremely off base but that is just what I’m gathering based on the info provided.
  • If you do step down can u choose which officer becomes leader or does the game randomly select amongst the officers and promote one?
  • RelentlessEternity
    443 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Anyone who actually asks for the leadership role instead of having it thrust upon them is unfit to lead. They obviously have no idea what is actually involved. The ones who have it thrust upon them will only begrudgingly accept the role for the good of the guild.
  • UPDATE !! : I basically said no I won’t resign as leader and I can see myself resigning at a later date eventually. The way he replied makes me think it’s other officers who want this but not just that, external pressure from outside the guild because man aligned our guild with a multi-guild alliance without a heads up. I posted a Vader throwing palp gif in the reply hence his ‘haha’ ...... it’s a coup bro !

His reply:

Haha not like that at all. Your a good leader, just a little on the chill side which is not bad. But if we want to keep climbing as a guild, i dont think we can be chill anymore. Hence i would like to take the role. Plus i am trying to get {3 Million plus galactic power member who left guild} to come back, which would be a huge asset.

I spoke with the other officers and some of them feel the same way about the guilds growth. If you like we could have a vote with the officers on guild leader, so its not a big question to the other guild members. We use the thumbs up reaction per name to remain anonymous.

No hard feelings if you refuse all of this, and I'm not going to go postal and leave the guild. Lol just changing it up a bit.
  • UPDATE #2: Responsed in kind....

My reply:

I refuse because I don’t think it’s the appropriate time to relinquish the leader role, I understand your statement about my leadership style. But I believe that such a transition will not change the status quo of the guild. So I strongly refuse.
  • I agree with all of these points...but dont forget...there are many many active members out there that will be loyal..keep your leader role if you like...after all You Are the Leader. If they leave...promote the ones that stay and recruit... sometimes you got to lose a bit to gain a lot.
    Hope everything works out for the best.
  • Stenax
    19 posts Member
    only two times someone would do that is if you are a bad leader or they are egomaniacs.
    One must apply - you work out which.
    If the first, a leader would do the best thing for THE GUILD.
    If the second - tell him to pull his head in, demote him or boot him to the outer rim.
  • @CloudCityStalker stand your ground mate. Need to enforce you position as guild leader. Make sure they know who’s in charge but in the same way always listen to there advice on how to run the guild. Be open but you have the final say in the matter! That’s the way I run my guild and it’s running smoothly! Get everybody on the same page and you’ll be fine.
    Maybe you shouldn’t have said you’ll stand down later because that will just grow frustration with that memeber and other officers that are having his back. When choosing officers you need to pick people who aren’t just high GP. But people you think you can trust.. no matter what level they’re at. People who will contribute and will bring different game playing styles to your guild to make it better :) hope this helps and all the best
  • CloudCityStalker
    8 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Update #3: Death Before Defeat.....

So my officer seemed disappointed in the outcome, so he just informed me, he is leaving the guild... ****??? After nearly staging a coup against me in the form of verbal pressure, you are leaving? Makes me question his plans if he became leader... what would of happened?

Makes me mad too because the only difference between an officer and the leader is, they only control the cosmetic exterior of the guild... so?
  • That's right
  • What makes it funny is that he claimed not to leave if you refused only for him to do exactly that
  • @CloudCityStalker it seems like you won ☺️
  • Maybe you should demote said officer, before they boot everyone who isn't an officer, in advance of leaving themselves...
  • Jed_Eye
    171 posts Member
    I'm not in the guild but I demand that me make me the leader. Lol