TW Matching Algorithm - not any better?

jkray622
1636 posts Member
Has anyone seen an improvement in the TW matching?

My guild got matched to a guild 16M higher than mine. I would have expected them to have significantly fewer players than us to be similarly matched. However, they are steamrolling through our best squads without hardly slowing down, which leads me to believe we are as mismatched as we expected. They obviously have many more tier 1 squads than we have.

Replies

• We're about 20 million behind our opponent. Think that's the biggest mismatch we've had yet.
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    My guild is facing a team that obviously is way overpowered to face our guild. We have a few zeta characters each and it’s obvious their teams are full 89-97K full zeta.
  • Our guild is currently facing off against a guild that is 14 million less than our GP. However, this is because only 32 of our members joined resulting in a much more balanced match.
  • Aluxtu
    420 posts Member
    Shouldn't it be based on the gp of participating members?
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/162893/dev-post-matchmaking-clarification-post-3-15/p1

But also a quick run down from that post on the Dev Announcements to some questions:
    CG_RyDiggs wrote: »
    FAQ:
    • Q: How do you identify the strongest squads?
      A: We're not going to divulge that algorithm.
    • Q: When do you make this calculation?
      A: Currently, as of this post:
      Immediately after the 'Sign up Phase' we take a snap shot of ALL rosters in the Territory War.
      We use those 'snap shots' for the Territory War which locks all rosters for use in the war.
      We use the matchmaking algorithm.
      We begin the 'set defense' phase.
      This whole process takes a few seconds across the game, so you don't see it happen. You generally only see the defense phase start up.
    • Q: How does this affect upper tier guilds and deeper defensive squad requirements?
      A: Whether or not guilds are in the upper tier of matchmaking has nothing to do with their reward tier.
      There is a range of upper tiers in matchmaking that spans multiple uppper reward tiers that all qualify for the deeper defensive squad requirements.
      You could be in Reward Tier 2 or 3 and be in a TW that uses the deeper defensive squad requirements. It depends largely on your matchmaking calculation which is separate from reward tier.
    • Q: Does this mean our guild won't face higher reward tier guilds?
      A: No. Matchmaking does not consider reward tiers, only your guild's squads for the match making algorithm.
      Example: your guild is reward tier 4 and your matchmaking strength calculation is high, you could face a guild who is at reward tier 5 but low matchmaking strength.
      It's not common (for the vast majority of the game) but it can and likely will happen from time to time.
      Again, this is because Matchmaking strength does not consider Reward Tier at all.

Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Rimzo
    120 posts Member
    We actually have a really even matchup this time. 106 v 107 GP. We will destroy them tho
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    It'd be nice if matchmaking also took a guild's TW win/loss record into account. Identify brackets of appropriate strengths, then match-make guilds with similar win/loss percentages. We've been badly mismatched so many times that my guild is starting to hate TW.
  • Aluxtu
    420 posts Member
    We are to, just got out up against a 101million gp guild. We are 77million. We don't stand a chance. Not exactly fun, at all.
  • Yeah we got smoked in our last one 90mil gp v 114 mil, they tore through us like butter, this time its a bit better 90 v 100
  • Yeah, we recently hit 90m gp and despite a good turn out we have hit a guild with 101gp and they have 7 star g12 sions and teams that are ripping us up.

Last war we hit a 110gp guild so it's better but not good.
  • QJinX
    219 posts Member
    We have another ridiculous matchup as well. A fix this is not.
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    So found out we are rated at 37 million our opponent is 75 million. Super even match. Thank you, /drops mic walks out
  • ditto here. matchmaking fix is a fail.
  • 30m+ GP under our current opponent, biggest difference we've faced so far. Whoever made that algorithm may want to take another look! :smile:
  • As software developer I can say that complicated game balancing algorithms normally don't work as expected. So, please, make it easier and test it well.
    My guild faced just once a similar guild, just 1M over our GP, of course always higher GP than us. This is really annoying :/
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen an improvement in the TW matching?

My guild got matched to a guild 16M higher than mine. I would have expected them to have significantly fewer players than us to be similarly matched. However, they are steamrolling through our best squads without hardly slowing down, which leads me to believe we are as mismatched as we expected. They obviously have many more tier 1 squads than we have.

Previous mismatches were in the 30M area, so that's about a 50% reduction. I would call that an improvement.

The major issue here is that there is a lot of player side strategy involved in TW, and to say they just walked through and that must be the matching, may not always be accurate.
  • The last two my guild has had a 20mil+ disadvantage and keep getting beaten i already wasnt a fan of tw before and would rather have weekly tb’s but this makes it even more lame
  • It is worse than before, they got more G12 in a zone than we have in the full guild.
  • Notnukin
    83 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    @Kyno in a 90 million GP guild...the average roster is less than 1.5 million so a 15 million GP differnce is like the other team having at least 10 extra rosters and well there is very little strategy that can over come that differnce.
  • Markyj
    13 posts Member
    Yep we are looking at being wiped out and we can't get through the first node, this is so much fun!

Your algorithm doesn't work.
  • 82 to 113 (!) Mio GP mismatch. Worst matchmaking ever. Always had a disadvantage, but this time its just broken. If it stays like this they should remove tw‘s from the game. More rage than benefit
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    Doesn’t seem to work as well as expected. Our current matchup has several whales (7* g12 Sions and marauders spotted) with top arena teams that far outmatch what we can produce. So the idea to look at each top contributor in both guilds doesn’t seem to work well at all.
  • We are at 86 million and must fight against 111mio.
    they went through, we could take 3 fields. Maybe 4.
    Not funny