In need of practice mode!

This used to be the second most asked feature after mod management for months but it seems to me that with all the distractions that are going in right now we threw it under the rug.

I wasn't a fan of old Galactic war, you know what I'm talking about, the one with the impossible to beat node 12s and the super hard node 10s and 11s. But it would be a great idea to make GW super hard again.

Hear me out on this, we will still be able to sim it like we do now and therefore noone will be getting stuck in super hard nodes, or spend time if they have none, but we will have the option to use it as practice mode too!.

For those who haven't gotten to unlock the ability to sim it yet, it won't change. This is more of a tool for older players in late game arenas where it's alot more high end teams.

In a perfect world we'd get a proper practice mode where we could fight our guild mates or allies for practice, but since that doesn't seem to happen for a reason, this might be an easier alternative!

What do you all think?

Replies

• Not a bad idea, if they could make it hard again only for the players that are able to sim it. That way new players will still be able to complete GW, and older players can have the challenge / practice if and when they want it
  • swgoh_jackson
    49 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I believe the dev has responded to this issue. If i recall correctly, concerning the possible development of a practice mode, they will take into account the number of player play GW manually and those who sim it... and the interim result is that quite a sum of player simmed it... so maybe no immient need for a practice mode...

If i recall correctly.... ^^"
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    If they follow this suggestion they'll need to change GW to be a series of individual fights, where your team is fresh for each fight, full HP/Prot and 0 TM, in order to be a reasonable sim type experience. This would undermine what makes GW fun, challenging, and different. I'd say just adding a way for guild to duel each other, no limit and no reward, don't even make a tracked statistic for it, but I think it would be a great way for guild officers to help tweak their guild to be stronger.
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    What the devs answered:

[QUESTION: Kifaru12] Can we please have a practice mode for PVP?

[NR] At the moment we have no plans to build a practice mode for PvP. There are two reasons for this:
    1. There are other features that, we feel, are higher impact/priority to the playerbase. We know this is a common request, but we think there are some more "fun" things that we can produce instead. If we ultimately find that we have room and nothing competing in priority, we'd consider picking it up.
    2. A practice mode (at least what we see commonly requested for) would be unbounded in its time commitment (meaning you could play it all the time and unlimitedly). We are aware of the current time the game requests of player, we are hesitant to add more to it at this time.
    3. Having added Simming to Galactic War, we are looking at how much people play through it voluntarily, as it is a leading indicator of how much people want to play something like a Practice Mode.
  • I would rather an inter-guild tool where guildies could build a squad from another members account to fight or being able to build some squads to allow others to spar with as they want. Supports theory crafting without costing you positions in arena or attempts in raids while picking out a particular opponent as opposed to GWs pure randomness
  • Range1974 wrote: »
    I would rather an inter-guild tool where guildies could build a squad from another members account to fight or being able to build some squads to allow others to spar with as they want. Supports theory crafting without costing you positions in arena or attempts in raids while picking out a particular opponent as opposed to GWs pure randomness

Like I said in the end, in a perfect world we'd get that, however that mode might take some work to create and perhaps the devs aren't willing to put it in.

The solution I proposed is an incredibly easy one and it has no negative impact on the game
    I would rather an inter-guild tool where guildies could build a squad from another members account to fight or being able to build some squads to allow others to spar with as they want. Supports theory crafting without costing you positions in arena or attempts in raids while picking out a particular opponent as opposed to GWs pure randomness

This is exactly what I have in mind when I say I would like a practice mode.

Guilds play-fighting/sparring with their own members would give you valuable feedback on your squads--chances are you're not going to be competing with your guildmates in arena, so they have no reason to hold back out of their own interests; especially when TW is a thing--and would provide an element of fun and competition within the guild. I know we've got a few members in my guild who cheerfully go on about how they could beat someone else's team(s) (a couple of them have a clones rivalry going on for some reason!).

If they're worried about it being a time sink, then don't offer rewards for completing/playing around with it (or if you do; a small amount of guild shop currency wouldn't be remiss).

This is exactly what I have in mind when I say I would like a practice mode.

Guilds play-fighting/sparring with their own members would give you valuable feedback on your squads--chances are you're not going to be competing with your guildmates in arena, so they have no reason to hold back out of their own interests; especially when TW is a thing--and would provide an element of fun and competition within the guild. I know we've got a few members in my guild who cheerfully go on about how they could beat someone else's team(s) (a couple of them have a clones rivalry going on for some reason!).

If they're worried about it being a time sink, then don't offer rewards for completing/playing around with it (or if you do; a small amount of guild shop currency wouldn't be remiss).

This last part isn't a reason, it won't be a time sink cause noone forces you to do it
  • catharsis478
    676 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    BazeMalbus wrote: »

This last part isn't a reason, it won't be a time sink cause noone forces you to do it

See:

[NR]: ...

2. A practice mode (at least what we see commonly requested for) would be unbounded in its time commitment (meaning you could play it all the time and unlimitedly). We are aware of the current time the game requests of player, we are hesitant to add more to it at this time.

edit: fixed code typos
  • BazeMalbus wrote: »

See:

[NR]: ...

edit: fixed code typos

Sounds like an excuse, again, noone forces you to play it, and since no rewards will come from it, noone can argue that they feel obligated to do it
  • BazeMalbus wrote: »

Sounds like an excuse, again, noone forces you to play it, and since no rewards will come from it, noone can argue that they feel obligated to do it

My point went flying over your head, didn't it?

Alright, let me spell it out: during the QnA thread the developers cited a number of reasons that they're currently not planning to make a practice mode. One of those reasons--which I quoted and bolded above--was a concern over time management/requirements, which is what I had been responding to when I said "if they're worried about it becoming a time sink then don't give us rewards." In this case "they" refers to the developers.

Is there anything else you need spoonfed to you, sir?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I believe the dev has responded to this issue. If i recall correctly, concerning the possible development of a practice mode, they will take into account the number of player play GW manually and those who sim it... and the interim result is that quite a sum of player simmed it... so maybe no immient need for a practice mode...

This is correct, in the sense that they was what was said. It is incorrect in the sense that anyone who would suggest that playing GW is in any way similar to any other aspect of the game (TB, TW, arena, etc.) clearly has never played the game.

If CG really is using GW simulation numbers to decide whether or not to institute a practice mode of sorts, they are even more out of touch with the player base than many of us feared.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • It would be cool if we could even just practice within your own roster. Like how does my sith team do against my RJT team etc etc.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

This is correct, in the sense that they was what was said. It is incorrect in the sense that anyone who would suggest that playing GW is in any way similar to any other aspect of the game (TB, TW, arena, etc.) clearly has never played the game.

If CG really is using GW simulation numbers to decide whether or not to institute a practice mode of sorts, they are even more out of touch with the player base than many of us feared.

Exactly. GW is random and quite ofelten the teams you face have little synergy. Using GW sim/play through data is asinine. Practice mode is for theory crafting and specific scenarios, quite different from GW.

Galactic war for those with highy tier accounts used to be nothing but meta teams
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Exactly. GW is random and quite ofelten the teams you face have little synergy. Using GW sim/play through data is asinine. Practice mode is for theory crafting and specific scenarios, quite different from GW.

Galactic war for those with highy tier accounts used to be nothing but meta teams

As someone with a GP of 2.8 million, I can assure you that that is not true. For the last few nodes (9-12) it was, to an extent. But you could often auto to node 9 even then.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

As someone with a GP of 2.8 million, I can assure you that that is not true. For the last few nodes (9-12) it was, to an extent. But you could often auto to node 9 even then.

Back when it was harder you could lose on N9 and it would through you off a little.