What is canon?

Prev1
Please don’t just look at the title.

So last I heard Disney states everything but films were canon...
Could someone please confirm this.

And does that make this game legends over canon or is this game a stand alone or even canon.

This is leading up to something

Replies

• I don't think what you heard was true. The Clone Wars series are still canon and what would be the point of making four episoded of Rebels if it wasn't canon.
  • I can see your point ,but if we do see those as canon what about the rest of the franchise.

And is this game a legends game or a canon game that is what is confusing me due to I have been watching the star wars films on marathon now and it just occurred to me
  • Canon is anything that has been on screen (8 movies, 2 series), games (Uprising, Battlefront 1 and 2), and most books/comics released after the purchase by Disney
  • Movies are canon, cartoons are canon, some games apparently clone commando is sorta canon, all books post disney buying lucasarts, difficult to say wether Kotor is canon or not, in the clone wars cartoon they were planning to include a episode with Revan in it but it was cancelled, proof can be found on youtube
  • Zevox
    172 posts Member
    Basically, if it was around before Disney bought the franchise and isn't the movies or The Clone Wars tv show, it's not canon anymore. If it was made after Disney bought the franchise, it probably is canon.

This game presumably isn't, given the lack of a storyline of any kind and the presence of non-canon characters.
  • UtherTG
    25 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Films, series(clone wars, rebels), some books and some(modern-ish) games are canon. Like academy(although not sure about Kyle and all), force unleashed, battlefront2 'story line'. KOTOR, for instance, was not a canon before Disney and not a canon now.
  • It has left quite a few holes that I would like filled in ahaha

But it would indicate that this game is not canon
    However I do like the game as it includes a range of characters that I like with the chance of more .

In regards to some of the recent consol games I don’t believe them to be a true reflection of what a star wars game should be as they are better graphics yes but lacking in the rest as far as I have played .

Someone mentioned republic commando being canon would that be hope of a second game .

• Zevox wrote: »
    This game presumably isn't, given the lack of a storyline of any kind and the presence of non-canon characters.

Mind naming some that aren’t?

SnakesOnAPlane

I am thinking he is looking mainly at the KOTOR characters

Vistas marr
    Darth Sion
    Darth Treya
    Darth nihlus
    HK47
  • You need to do more research...never since the acquisition of lucas film by Disney have only the movies been canon. I'm sure this can be googled. Doesnt seem to be thread worthy,
  • Ugnaught wrote: »
    You need to do more research...never since the acquisition of lucas film by Disney have only the movies been canon. I'm sure this can be googled. Doesnt seem to be thread worthy,

Please read the thread first.

Although I was less clear with my intention and I apologise but would Darth Bane I think it was count as canon or lore.

Also what would people prefers that this game follows lore or follows legends?
  • This is a link to everything that is cannon.
    I hope it helps.

https://canonkillerbase.com
  • The above link is fantastic in keeping up with what Canon you have seen and read.
    I keep my account updated whenever I finish a comic series.
  • Darth Bane is canon. His ghost appears in Yoda’s quest to Korriban, renamed Moraband by Lucas. Bane instituted the rule of two for modern Sith. His lore is canon.

QuiGon is also revoiced by Liam Neeson. QuiGon instructs Yoda on how to survive death and maintain his conscious being in the Force. This was actually a scene in the movie where Yoda hears QuiGon talking to him in the meditation chamber. In the book they have a full blown discourse.
  • Darth bane is Canon.
  • This game is nothing... it's a game played by some people in a cantina that exists somewhere.

You have plo koon sitting there at the challenge table, but there are characters that appear way after his death (R1, new trilogy).
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    The term Star Wars canon refers to the collection of Star Wars media considered officially canon by Lucasfilm. Details regarding characters and events reflect the official depictions of the Star Wars story-line throughout the franchise. Long story short, It’s the official Star Wars history.

This game has no story therefore it can’t be canon
  • Darth bane is Canon.

His rule of 2 was broken constantly in the films and tv series, what are the chances of more sith showing up I New films and as toons for the game that would be quite nice addition
  • Zevox
    172 posts Member
    SirAlec wrote: »
    Zevox wrote: »

I am thinking he is looking mainly at the KOTOR characters

Vistas marr
    Darth Sion
    Darth Treya
    Darth nihlus
    HK47
    That is indeed who I meant.

Personally, I hope we see more non-canon characters like them in the future, since I prefer the old EU to the new canon, personally, but not holding my breath, since few things from that era are popular enough that the developers would expect to make much money off it. I'm hoping to see Mara Jade one day, but beyond her and maybe some more KotOR-related characters, hard to see much hope.
  • Movies:
    Episodes 1-9 are Canon, along with the Disney Anthology Films.

Series:
    Darth Bane is Canon (was in the newer Clone Wars series.)
    Clone Wars movie and series are Canon.
    The original Clone Wars series is NOT Canon (the short one).
    Rebels is Canon.

The new series and movies in production are Canon.

Books and Comics:
    The post-Disney-purchase books and comics are canon.
    Very few pre-Disney-purchase comics that have been specifically designated as Canon by Disney. (I do not know them.)

Video Games:
    Currently, everything in KOTOR is not cannon, unless brought up in a Canon source.
    The new EA Battlefront games are Canon, NOT the old ones.

Other:
    Disney’s Forces of Destiny on YouTube is Canon.

If anyone knows of anything else, please inform me. I will then edit this post.
  • SirAlec wrote: »
    Darth bane is Canon.

His rule of 2 was broken constantly in the films and tv series, what are the chances of more sith showing up I New films and as toons for the game that would be quite nice addition

Please explain when the rule of 2 was broken. (Curiosity)

Personally, I hope we see more non-canon characters like them in the future, since I prefer the old EU to the new canon, personally, but not holding my breath, since few things from that era are popular enough that the developers would expect to make much money off it. I'm hoping to see Mara Jade one day, but beyond her and maybe some more KotOR-related characters, hard to see much hope.

Looking at the turn of events I am hoping so to, but I also am hoping for some more lore from the current universe as there is some very good potential in next few films
  • Is SWGOH (although brief character stories) considered canon?
  • NIGHTMAN wrote: »
    Is SWGOH (although brief character stories) considered canon?

SWGoH is a collection based game. It is not a story based game. I believe that the devs themselves have stated that SWGoH is not Canon. (I cannot confirm this, nor am I 100% certain.)

This game is definitely not Canon, though.
  • NIGHTMAN wrote: »
    Is SWGOH (although brief character stories) considered canon?

I think we came to the conclusion that it is a stand alone game involving canon and legends to incorporate everyone’s favourites in the games
  • I care so little for post ROTJ content from Disney that as far as I'm concerned legends is still the real canon
  • This game is not canon. It’s fight club.

To put it lightly this is like the MCU loosely based on some comic events but not related to Fox’s X-Men, F4 or Deadpool. Patrick Stewart, James McAvoy, and Lawrence Belcher all exist as Professor X at the same time. The Netflix TV shows have different actors than what’s in Agents of Shield, Ghost Rider obviously, and nothing follows correctly. Deadpool is an infinity stone, Thanos is now an AntiVillain instead of a love struck fool, Jedi are terrible, clones don’t wear helmets, Jango is sir not appearing in this game, Darth Nihilus was more powerful than Palpatine, Wiggs/Chaze is a cookie cutter entry pvp team that has far outlived usefulness, and GW is now simmable(I actually asked for this, THANK YOU).

It’s not canon. It’s fight club. But don’t talk about fight club.
  • Darthpedro wrote: »
    I care so little for post ROTJ content from Disney that as far as I'm concerned legends is still the real canon

And yet the legends aren't canon
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Whoo caaaaareees???

Its a video game. Devs said everything is on the table in terms of what can be added
  • KKatarn
    629 posts Member
    Nothing is canon, everything is permited. :D