What is happening to notices of events?

Replies

• Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    SoonerJBD wrote: »
    @Well_I_Never The core disagreement we seem to have is your assertion that “if you aren’t ready, notice would not help.” I don’t understand why you can’t admit that people who are balancing many different farms for many different purposes might be helped by a week or two notice that would let them push hard for what they still need.
    I do not say "if you're not ready then notice will not help." I say that if you are ready then it will not make any difference.
    I can happily admit to that which you suggest I cannot.
    What I don't agree with is it being anybody else's fault or choice but their own that they are balancing multiple farms & therefore unable to get the Legendary character.
    My point is simple.
    No-one else is responsible for the outcome of the choices that I make. Same goes for everyone else.
    Say you expect you have another month and a half based on previous cadences for a legendary and you would benefit more in the short term by finishing a Cantina farm for a toon that’s going to help you in arena knowing you can get the last shards you need for Old Ben afterwards and still be ready for the event. By dropping the event with no notice, it can potentially shut that player out whereas with a week or two notice, they would have known to make Old Ben their first priority. It’s entirely justified for this type of player to be frustrated right now, particularly given the recent Q&A.
    I fully understand the point you've been making.
    When there have only ever been 2 previous appearances & each came with different amount of notice, there is hardly anything that constitutes a cadence. 2 is not a pattern.
    As I said before: 1 week would be beneficial for some, not for others. Same for 2 weeks. Same for 3 weeks, ad infinitum.
    If that was one's expectation, then that expectation was unfortunately incorrect & they have to live with that.
    It is not anyone else's fault that their invented expectation was not met.

All that I have been stating is that, if you do not wait for unreliable notice & get yourself into the relevant position for completion of the Event, regardless of when it is, then notice doesn't matter anymore.
    It's about you taking the power of control over your own decisions &, therefore, being responsible and accountable for them. Rather than absolving yourself of any; power, control, personal responsibility for your own actions & choices.

Ultimately the choice is yours. As is the power & control, if you choose to take it.
    Post edited by Well_I_Never on
  • Options
    @Well_I_Never The core disagreement we seem to have is your assertion that “if you aren’t ready, notice would not help.” I don’t understand why you can’t admit that people who are balancing many different farms for many different purposes might be helped by a week or two notice that would let them push hard for what they still need.
    I do not say "if you're not ready then notice will not help." I say that if you are ready then it will not make any difference.
    I can happily admit to that which you suggest I cannot.
    What I don't agree with is it being anybody else's fault or choice but their own that they are balancing multiple farms & therefore unable to get the Legendary character.
    My point is simple.
    No-one else is responsible for the outcome of the choices that I make. Same goes for everyone else.
    Say you expect you have another month and a half based on previous cadences for a legendary and you would benefit more in the short term by finishing a Cantina farm for a toon that’s going to help you in arena knowing you can get the last shards you need for Old Ben afterwards and still be ready for the event. By dropping the event with no notice, it can potentially shut that player out whereas with a week or two notice, they would have known to make Old Ben their first priority. It’s entirely justified for this type of player to be frustrated right now, particularly given the recent Q&A.
    I fully understand the point you've been making.
    When there have only ever been 2 previous appearances & each came with different amount of notice, there is hardly anything that constitutes a cadence. 2 is not a pattern.
    As I said before: 1 week would beneficial for some, not for others. Same for 2 weeks. Same for 3 weeks.

All that I have been stating is that, if you do not wait for unreliable notice & get yourself into the relevant position for completion of the Event, regardless of when it is, then notice doesn't matter anymore.
    It's about you taking the power of control over your own decisions &, therefore, being responsible and accountable for them. Rather than absolving yourself of any; power, control, personal responsibility for your own actions & choices.

Ultimately the choice is yours. As is the power & control, if you choose to take it.

You seem to think assigning blame is an all or nothing proposition. Do players bear responsibility for their choices? Absolutely. But EA/CG failing to give the notice they have in the past, particularly right after acknowledging the poor communication on their part and lack of clarity in cadence were problems, also puts some “blame” squarely on them. The issue here is your insistence that players have ONLY themselves to blame. Hogwash. They can justifiably also blame the Devs for what the Devs just admitted are failures on their part.
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You seem to think assigning blame is an all or nothing proposition. Do players bear responsibility for their choices? Absolutely. But EA/CG failing to give the notice they have in the past, particularly right after acknowledging the poor communication on their part and lack of clarity in cadence were problems, also puts some “blame” squarely on them. The issue here is your insistence that players have ONLY themselves to blame. Hogwash. They can justifiably also blame the Devs for what the Devs just admitted are failures on their part.
    No, no I do not think anything of the sort.
    It is simply about apportioning blame, responsibility & accountability correctly & appropriately.
    I have not once disagreed that the devs going back on their word was wrong & a customer service nightmare.
    Yes, they are entirely responsible for that. I have not once disputed that. I have stated it a number of times.

The only thing I have disputed is who is responsible for how players have chosen to react from an uninformed position.
    I agree that the poor communication is responsible for them being in said position, but it is not responsible for what they chose to do from there. That is/was entirely their choice.
    Especially when it is widely known that communication in the previous 2 occurrences was varied & not great.
    Failing to take that into consideration is not a good thing.
    They do only have themselves to blame for their own actions and choices, as do the devs for their own, as do I for my own.
    Which is all I have ever claimed.

You, on the other hand, have continually (until your last post) stated that the devs are responsible for the players' choices.
    They are not. Only the players themselves are.
    Blaming the devs for poor communication is entirely justified.
    Blaming the devs for the choices someone else made is entirely unjustified.
  • Options
    I started playing a few months after release, I've spent money and played daily, I always put first order on the back burner not because I wanted to, but because the game decided who I had to farm, I copped CLS first time around but was absolutely not ready for JTR, as soon as I finished froze Han (which we need 7* for TB), I went directly to the vets, maybe a week after the first JTR event, other than an occasional energy buy I've spent every last crystal on cantina energy to farm the vets with their laughable drop rates, I was about 200 short on hand when JTR came back...so my point being:
    Not everyone upset is "new".
    Not everyone that wasn't ready was procrastinating farming the vets.
    I'm not as much upset about the short notice as I am the timing, a week or two notice wouldn't have made any difference because I'm done spending, and I've been done spending for a while because of the timing of releases, this is intentional to make people spend, they have numbers, good numbers, on where the community is on their farming, they pushed the event up when they saw the vast majority that started farming at the end of the last event were close to completion, they decide when to run events based on these community numbers, if you think I'm wearing a tin foil hat you can keep fooling yourself, I guarantee the devs spend more time trying to figure out how to manipulate the phyche of the player base for financial gain than actual game development. Again if you think I and others are wearing a tin foil hat, think about this when your thumb is cramping drawing off some of your bronziums.
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you have control over the situation, then no-one else is to blame.
    If you relinquished, or chose not to take control over the situation when the option was available, then no-one else is to blame.

Taking control over the situation simply means recognising that information provided is unreliable &, therefore, not relying on it.
    It means having a plan for the characters you need & sticking to it until you achieve it.
    If you have to sacrifice something else to do so, so be it, it will pay off when you receive the Legendary. Still, the choice is yours.
    If you do not make it this time, unlucky. That's just the way the cookie crumbles, sometimes.
    You will probably be ahead of the curve for next time. Then you will appreciate why notice is irrelevant, if you have prepared in time.
  • Options
    It is simply about apportioning blame, responsibility & accountability correctly & appropriately.
    I have not once disagreed that the devs going back on their word was wrong & a customer service nightmare.
    Yes, they are entirely responsible for that. I have not once disputed that. I have stated it a number of times.

The only thing I have disputed is who is responsible for how players have chosen to react from an uninformed position.
    I agree that the poor communication is responsible for them being in said position, but it is not responsible for what they chose to do from there. That is/was entirely their choice.
    Especially when it is widely known that communication in the previous 2 occurrences was varied & not great.
    They do only have themselves to blame for their own actions and choices, as do the devs for their own, as do I for my own.

You, on the other hand, have continually (until your last post) stated that the devs are responsible for the players' choices.

This is called moving the goalposts. You responded to people complaining about a lack of communication and notice of the event by telling them they are to blame for not being able to obtain the legendary characters. If you acknowledge the Devs were in fact wrong for the very reasons cited by those complaining, why did you feel the need to respond in the first place, thereby rubbing their noses in their justified frustration?
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    It's preconditioning players to accept smaller and smaller notice windows to drive panic purchases. The more we accept, the more it will happen. It's a highly successful tactic for them, and they will not be able to stop themselves from more extremes.
    Alternatively, it's preconditioning players to not procrastinate.

Smaller windows mean if you're a good little ant that spends the spring gathering seeds and junk, you'll get your shiny new Rey and Luke faster than the grasshoppers that thought they could get it later.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    It's preconditioning players to accept smaller and smaller notice windows to drive panic purchases. The more we accept, the more it will happen. It's a highly successful tactic for them, and they will not be able to stop themselves from more extremes.

Smaller windows mean if you're a good little ant that spends the spring gathering seeds and junk, you'll get your shiny new Rey and Luke faster than the grasshoppers that thought they could get it later.

I don't buy this argument. They have a cadence, and with R2 they made a point of how they were bringing him back early the first time for Luke. With Jedi Training Rey they may use the excuse to celebrate the film coming to DVD, but really this isn't kidding anyone. It is just to drive up panic farming or they would have given us more than 8hours notice. Players who plan can't cause they are so inconsistent with things. It is logical for people to think they had a lot more time to prepare since CG has given a cadence that they will adhere to. There are plenty of other things people need to farm right now. A lot of people are still farming necessary characters and teams for territory battles and they had a more immediate need, unlike Rey, which was supposed to return much later. Cantina characters are a very long farm and there a few characters in there that are needed for Territory Battles that are on 16 energy nodes.
  • Options
    in before Thrawn with no warning :D
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    double post.
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @SoonerJBD
    Think about it like this:

Person A knows that if anyone does X, then something bad will happen.
    Person A does not tell you this.
    You choose to do X and something bad happens to you.
    Person A is not responsible for you choosing to do X, or for the bad thing happening to you as a result of your choice.
    Person A is only responsible for not telling you.
    Person A is indisputably not responsible for your choice.

Did they influence your choice? Maybe.
    Did they make the choice for you? No.
    Therefore you & only you are entirely & solely responsible for the choices which you make.

If you haven't learned the basic rules of responsibility & accountability yet, I'm afraid that there's nothing more I can do to help you here.
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This is called moving the goalposts. You responded to people complaining about a lack of communication and notice of the event by telling them they are to blame for not being able to obtain the legendary characters. If you acknowledge the Devs were in fact wrong for the very reasons cited by those complaining, why did you feel the need to respond in the first place, thereby rubbing their noses in their justified frustration?
    No. No I did not.
    What I (& many, many others with greater experience than your 4 months) responded saying was that "If people are prepared then notice doesn't matter anymore."
    Also that "If they are not prepared & have been playing long enough to be prepared, then no-one else is to blame for their choices."
    I have been saying this consistently, no goal posts have been moved in the slightest, at least not from my side, anyway.
    You failing to grasp the position, is not me changing the position.

Their frustration at the devs for the lack of notice is justified. I never claimed that it was not.
    Their frustration at the devs for them not getting the Legendaries, if they failed to prepare in time, is not.
    This is the very definition of unjustified & this is why I picked up on it.

I can see that you're very obviously frustrated at not getting the characters, after just 4 months of play.
    I'm simply proving to you why your frustration is misdirected.
  • Options
    BTW, they have never said there was a cadence on the Hero's events. Everyone making up their own cadence just because it fits their mental goals doesn't make it factual. Those events are just listed as ultra rare. So the next time they pop could be Nov or could be May. We do not have a known say in when those pop. The cadence is really about marquee to shipments to farm-able spots. Legendary events rotate, but they seem to becoming faster the more times they are done. So really, what extra notices do a person need? I am not saying it isn't a bad thing to spring an event in 8 hours. I am saying that everyone on this forum knows what is needed for JTR and CLS. Or any legendary event at this point. If you want those toons, then go farm their prereqs. If you don't farm their prereqs, then don't complain when an event passes you by. No different than those level 75 and up events. Don't have the toons, can't do those events.

Again, I will ask, does everyone know that not all players of this game come to this forum, or use Reddit? They aren't going to know the events until they pop into the game. Yet many of those players can still do these events. What people want with the calendar is a way to have CG tell them what to farm. They can't skip new shiny toons that don't work into their plans. Unless you are using First Order in Arena, you didn't need to level up KRU before the vets if you also wanted JTR. Unless you are using Sith in the Arena, you didn't need to gear up Sion before starring up old Ben if you wanted CLS. Your farm choices are yours, not CG, not anyone on the Forum, not anyone in the world.

If you want a road map, follow the F2P guide, make sure all of that is done. Then go all over the board getting other toons and factions. Get the base down to get all the legendary characters first, then worry about starring up Imp Troopers or Nightsisters. Then 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 days, 2 hours notice means nothing to you. The panic farm isn't CG doing a money grab, never has never will be. The Panic farm is people who can't stick to goals either demanding double drops or paying money to get the shiny new because people can't help themselves. If Snoke drops tomorrow as a legendary toon needing Resistance toons. If you don't have your squad ready, you will panic farm. If you do have your squad ready, you just play the event.
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Perfxion wrote: »
    BTW, they have never said there was a cadence on the Hero's events. Everyone making up their own cadence just because it fits their mental goals doesn't make it factual.
    This. Absolutely correct.

The only people complaining are those who chose to farm something other than the required characters.
    They chose to do this on an assumption, made from an uninformed position.
    Their assumption was incorrect.
    Now they claim that they would have been able to get the required characters, with X amount of extra notice. This claim is made, failing to recognise that they would have got the required characters if they hadn't made the choice to farm something else.

No-one who stuck with farming the required characters & got them in time, also because of their own choice, is complaining.

n.b. X is entirely variable & subjective, depending on how close the person complaining is.
    1 week's notice would be enough for some, not for others.
    2 weeks, the same.
    3 weeks, the same.
    ad infinitum
  • Options
    Perfxion wrote: »
    BTW, they have never said there was a cadence on the Hero's events. Everyone making up their own cadence just because it fits their mental goals doesn't make it factual.
    This. Absolutely correct.

Correct and out of place, I thought we already talk about how the Complain Is about the "no notice", no about the cadence... The cadence Is up to them...
  • Options
    @SoonerJBD
    Did they influence your choice? Maybe.
    Did they make the choice for you? No.
    Therefore you & only you are entirely & solely responsible for the choices which you make.

If you haven't learned the basic rules of responsibility & accountability yet, I'm afraid that there's nothing more I can do to help you here.

Dont know if "they influence tour choice" and "they are 0% responsible for your choice" can ve used in the same case...and again, missing the point, we ate talking about the 8 hours notice for one of the two greatest events of the game...
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    Options

That's all this guy does. I never said I was mad or upset, just a bit annoyed and he makes the assumption that I'm lying and I really am very upset. He says that CG lied to us, but oh no, that doesn't mean it's their fault for, in his words, "going back on their word" it's my fault for believing their word. It seems he keeps pushing the goalpost back everytime he realizes that we're making a reasonable argument, but he doesn't want to admit it.
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ephran wrote: »
    That's all this guy does. I never said I was mad or upset, just a bit annoyed and he makes the assumption that I'm lying and I really am very upset. He says that CG lied to us, but oh no, that doesn't mean it's their fault for, in his words, "going back on their word" it's my fault for believing their word. It seems he keeps pushing the goalpost back everytime he realizes that we're making a reasonable argument, but he doesn't want to admit it.
    There are so many glaring problems with your supposition, but I will focus on the 3 most obvious:
    1. I have not changed my position since I began. No goal posts have been moved by me.
    2. You do not have any reasonable argument. I would love for you to provide one, please?
    3. The devs going back on their word regarding cadence for the release of characters has nothing to do with Hero/Legendary Events.

Every thing I disputed in your post, I provided evidence for why my dispute was valid & why your opinion was not.
    All you did was consistently try and divert to something else because you had nothing to come back with.
    I never, not once, made any such assumption. I never even mentioned you lying. This is now the first time & it is absolutely correct here..
    The conversation I had with you is on Page 8, everyone can see the truth, not your invented version of the truth.

Now you've found yourself another person in the same position as you, refusing to accept responsibility for their own choices & have aligned yourself in unjustifiably trying to blame the devs for them, instead..
    Well done.
  • Options
    I'm not as much upset about the short notice as I am the timing, a week or two notice wouldn't have made any difference because I'm done spending, and I've been done spending for a while because of the timing of releases, this is intentional to make people spend, they have numbers, good numbers, on where the community is on their farming, they pushed the event up when they saw the vast majority that started farming at the end of the last event were close to completion, they decide when to run events based on these community numbers, if you think I'm wearing a tin foil hat you can keep fooling yourself, I guarantee the devs spend more time trying to figure out how to manipulate the phyche of the player base for financial gain than actual game development. Again if you think I and others are wearing a tin foil hat, think about this when your thumb is cramping drawing off some of your bronziums.

As someone who works in the data science industry, I promise your "tin foil" theory is very much a proven monetization gaming business model and not a theory at all
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The core disagreement we seem to have is your assertion that “if you aren’t ready, notice would not help.”
    The simple fact that I did not once state the "core" thing that you're disagreeing with, only serves to prove that you're just inventing reasons to be argumentative.
    You've even had a moderator show you why you're wrong, yet here you still are.
    As such, I'm done with you.
    Enjoy spending your life perpetually frustrated by things you don't need to be frustrated by.
  • Options
    They released RJT because of the movie being digitally released, not because of some analysis on where the customer base is on farming required toons
    Hero's Journey characters do not have any defined cadence and the only data point we have is CLS. That does not create a pattern
    My guess is that the team at CG/EA don't want to give advanced notice for Hero events because it adds to the exclusivity of the characters.

The best advice I can give to any new or novice player in this game is to focus on a single goal until its achieved. If you want RJT, farm the requirements. Don't get distracted by TW, Arena, TB, etc. And vice versa, if you're trying to improve in Arena and farming toons specific to that, don't get distracted with RJT rolls around. Attempting "just in time" farming is a recipe for disaster and frustration.
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    All choices available in this game are free to make. Farm for X or farm for Y? Your free choice.
    The player makes their choice & chooses X.
    No-one else forced them to make X their choice. They chose to, for whatever justification they chose at the time.
    No-one else, but the player, is responsible for the choice that the player makes.
    When an Event which is widely known to need Y comes around & the player is not in a position to compete, no-one else is responsible for the player being in this position.
    It was their free choice.
  • Options
    Why are y'all still arguing about this? Its obvious no one is going to change anyone's mind. You're just arguing in circles from two well-articulated, justifiable but irreconcilable positions. Let's move on, shall we?
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    I didn't realize anyone else beside those two were even reading this thread anymore.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I didn't realize anyone else beside those two were even reading this thread anymore.

Busted!!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Mzee wrote: »

I don't buy this argument. They have a cadence, and with R2 they made a point of how they were bringing him back early the first time for Luke. With Jedi Training Rey they may use the excuse to celebrate the film coming to DVD, but really this isn't kidding anyone. It is just to drive up panic farming or they would have given us more than 8hours notice. Players who plan can't cause they are so inconsistent with things. It is logical for people to think they had a lot more time to prepare since CG has given a cadence that they will adhere to. There are plenty of other things people need to farm right now. A lot of people are still farming necessary characters and teams for territory battles and they had a more immediate need, unlike Rey, which was supposed to return much later. Cantina characters are a very long farm and there a few characters in there that are needed for Territory Battles that are on 16 energy nodes.

I would just like to point out that you started out suggesting "They have a cadence" - then proceeded to explain all the ways they broke it. Point being, there is no cadence. Within weeks of "officially" announcing one, they continued to trot out exceptions.

Planning in the game is fairly simple. Pick a farming path and stick with it until done (for f2p and guppies). That's it. Ignore the flavor of the month. Don't try to farm 7 different character from 4 different factions. Stay on target. Plain and simple.

Once you know (by virtue of the first time an event drops) what the requirements are for a character you want (R2, CLS, Palp, Yoda, JTRey, etc.) farm those characters until you are done. Don't wait, don't get distracted. That's it.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    I started playing a few months after release, I've spent money and played daily, I always put first order on the back burner not because I wanted to, but because the game decided who I had to farm, I copped CLS first time around but was absolutely not ready for JTR, as soon as I finished froze Han (which we need 7* for TB), I went directly to the vets, maybe a week after the first JTR event, other than an occasional energy buy I've spent every last crystal on cantina energy to farm the vets with their laughable drop rates, I was about 200 short on hand when JTR came back...so my point being:
    Not everyone upset is "new".
    Not everyone that wasn't ready was procrastinating farming the vets.

I farmed vets since missing out on jtr the first time, now I have her.

Rtt the tears itt are insane. “Going back on their word” for giving us something sooner? Amazing
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Well_I_Never
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You can prove anything with facts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-UGQcG3Jw

• kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Mzee wrote: »

Planning in the game is fairly simple. Pick a farming path and stick with it until done (for f2p and guppies). That's it. Ignore the flavor of the month. Don't try to farm 7 different character from 4 different factions. Stay on target. Plain and simple.

Once you know (by virtue of the first time an event drops) what the requirements are for a character you want (R2, CLS, Palp, Yoda, JTRey, etc.) farm those characters until you are done. Don't wait, don't get distracted. That's it.

This, so very much.
    Like it or hate it, you aren’t going to change it. So be aware of the rules of the game and move on accordingly.
  • Options
    Because the real culprits are now 10 days silent.
This discussion has been closed.