Fleet Arena

Am I the only one that thinks fleet arena needs a major revamp?

The top 100 on my shard have almost identical fleets and with the bias towards the AI in terms of landing target lock and damage dealt it's almost impossible to win any fights. My fleet is often exactly the same as theirs and I'll lose 3/5 against an opponent with 20-30 less power than mine.

Battles constantly pan out the same way, their FO Tie Fighter or Tie Fighter will land target lock 90% of the time where as mine is about 50% (and my potency and tenacity are often better than theirs), I end up struggling to take out their Biggs before they've taken out 2 or 3 of my ships.

The meta has been the same for far too long and they need to introduce something to change it up.

Replies

• Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    Well, as everyone has the same team, it is quite the opposite. It is very easy to win every fight. You know the order who to hit and what to do.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    exarkun79 wrote: »

The top 100 on my shard have almost identical fleets and with the bias towards the AI in terms of landing target lock and damage dealt it's almost impossible to win any fights. My fleet is often exactly the same as theirs and I'll lose 3/5 against an opponent with 20-30 less power than mine.

Your strategy must be wrong. With identical fleets (or identical starting line up) you can easily win 5/5 versus fleets with 20—30 k MORE power.
  • If the fights are on a level playing field then yes it would be easy to win but they're not, that's why there's a bias towards the AI.

The enemy will land target lock most of the time so their Biggs is constantly regenerating protection where as the players Biggs doesn't, even if you dispel the taunt it just gets reapplied within a couple of attacks.

The enemy Tie Fighter will dodge a lot more often than the players giving the capital ship turn meter allowing them to pull off their special abilities sooner.

The bias kills the players chance too much.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    They should have removed fleet arena and redistrubted the rewards when it turned out to not be the "hit" they were expecting, but instead they doubled down and upped the rewards with 100/400 crystals and released an OP ship (chimeara).
    The game mode is basically the same as squad arena. Not only that, all the bad things about squad arena are worse in fleet. RNG, OP offence, strict meta, having to be online at a specific point during the day.
    Unfortunately it can't be reversed at this point.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Corvus
    190 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

Your strategy must be wrong. With identical fleets (or identical starting line up) you can easily win 5/5 versus fleets with 20—30 k MORE power.

Its a yes and no. Sadly fleet battles have come to a point where RNG is THE all deciding factor. I loose as often to a weak fleet as I wipe the floor with a fleet with 20 to 40k more power. It all comes down who lands more target locks and wich TFP evades more to feed TM to the capital ship.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Corvus wrote: »

Its a yes and no. Sadly fleet battles have come to a point where RNG is THE all deciding factor. I loose as often to a weak fleet as I wipe the floor with a fleet with 20 to 40k more power. It all comes down who lands more target locks and wich TFP evades more to feed TM to the capital ship.

May I suggest, that you only hit the enemy Imperial Tie with attacks, that can't be evaded? Tie Advanced's basic f.ex. And have your Chimaera call Tie Advanced to attack the enemy Imperial Tie. If at the same time your own Imperial Tie evades only one single attack, you will be ahead. Then you can leave the enemy Imperial Tie alone until your Chimaera's instant kill ability is available. It's quite simple, really: Stop feeding TM to the enemy capital ship. It's all strategy. Not much RNG there.
  • This is the time you should break the meta slave path and get the falcon.
    I suppose you dont have a reaper tie either?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    If the fights are on a level playing field then yes it would be easy to win but they're not, that's why there's a bias towards the AI.

The enemy will land target lock most of the time so their Biggs is constantly regenerating protection where as the players Biggs doesn't, even if you dispel the taunt it just gets reapplied within a couple of attacks.

The enemy Tie Fighter will dodge a lot more often than the players giving the capital ship turn meter allowing them to pull off their special abilities sooner.

The bias kills the players chance too much.

1. The bias towards AI is a myth.
    2. Stop feeding TM to the enemy capital ship by attacking Imperial Tie with avoidable attacks. Either leave it alone until it's the last ship or your insta—kill is available or attack it with unavoidable attacks only. Also prioritize the enemy Reaper in your kill order. If the enemy Chimaera is pulling of its insta—kill before yours, you are most likely doing something wrong.
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    Moved to Feedback: Ships
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • I have Tie Reaper and it's in my starting line up.

And I don't target the enemy Tie Fighter until I have no option because everything else is stealthed.

There is a bias towards the AI, there has to be otherwise it would be too easy to beat and there'd be no challenge to the game. If there isn't then how do you explain the AI landing target lock and dodging way more often?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    There is no AI bonus or else people can't climb in Squad Arena
  • I talked to great lengths to a lot of people about AI in arenas and the answer is conclusive - AI DOES NOT GIVE AN ADVANTAGE. Why it feels that way to you is because when you land it it's "huraaay I did it", even if you do it 5 times in a row it is to be expected, thus does not feel like an achievement. But when your opponent does it, it feels overwhelming because that is the opposite of the first, an undesireable outcome.
    ok, you have an issue of people landing target locks on you. You cannot get past biggs. Unless your opponents have a gauntlet or cassian in their lineup, inflicting buff immunity on biggs with your TIE fighter will fix your issue. no taunt = you are free to take out the enemy vader, reaper etc.
    I symphatise with people having bad RNG, but there is always a way to fin. Always.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    There is a bias towards the AI, there has to be otherwise it would be too easy to beat and there'd be no challenge to the game. If there isn't then how do you explain the AI landing target lock and dodging way more often?

I call fancy kittens. It's confirmation bias, which is a completely different thing. Yes, it sucks if the enemy Scimitar stealths everything but Imperial Tie, but that has got nothing to do with bias towards AI.

However, if it happens, this is where you use non—attacks, First Order Tie's special instead of badic etc. Or simply use the same strategy yourself.

• TVF
    36568 posts Member

I call fancy kittens. It's confirmation bias

This.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Bunch of amnesiacs in here forgetting the day somebody spilled his coffee and accidentally cranked the A.I.'s advantage up too high AND EVERYBODY KNEW IT.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/133836/game-issue-exorbitant-dmg-in-arena

Why exactly would such an option (boosting the A.I.'s pvp stats) even exist, if NOT to be used on purpose? Otherwise it's just an "accident" waiting to happen.

It wasn't even so long ago. A few months. That's isn't confirmation bias. That's catching the Cookie Monster with his head firmly lodged in the cookie jar.
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    Cool.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Bunch of amnesiacs in here forgetting the day somebody spilled his coffee and accidentally cranked the A.I.'s advantage up too high AND EVERYBODY KNEW IT.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/133836/game-issue-exorbitant-dmg-in-arena

Why exactly would such an option (boosting the A.I.'s pvp stats) even exist, if NOT to be used on purpose? Otherwise it's just an "accident" waiting to happen.

It wasn't even so long ago. A few months. That's isn't confirmation bias. That's catching the Cookie Monster with his head firmly lodged in the cookie jar.

That was a bug. And one quickly corrected. The AI has no advantages - and even if it did, they would be the same advantages your team would receive when the AI plays for you on defense.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    That was a bug.
    PROVE IT.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    That was a bug.
    PROVE IT.

Read the first three words of the post you linked ...right after. "hiya!"....and stop trolling.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • lisztophobia
    808 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    That was a bug.
    PROVE IT.

Read the first three words of the post you linked ...right after. "hiya!"....and stop trolling.
    You know... these guys, they are not always exactly the most forthright guys around. You're just gonna take their word for it?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    That was a bug.
    PROVE IT.

You know... these guys, they are not always exactly the most forthright guys around. You're just gonna take their word for it?

I'm just curious, do you wear the tin foil hat all the time, or just when you're online? ;)

Incidentally, you linked to the post, so it's ironic that you are going to pick and choose what should be believed and what shouldn't.

• swgohfan29
    1147 posts Member
    That was a bug.
    PROVE IT.

The word accidentally proves it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Corruptor wrote: »
    LaksonVell wrote: »
    I talked to great lengths to a lot of people about AI in arenas and the answer is conclusive - AI DOES NOT GIVE AN ADVANTAGE. Why it feels that way to you is because when you land it it's "huraaay I did it", even if you do it 5 times in a row it is to be expected, thus does not feel like an achievement. But when your opponent does it, it feels overwhelming because that is the opposite of the first, an undesireable outcome.
    ok, you have an issue of people landing target locks on you. You cannot get past biggs. Unless your opponents have a gauntlet or cassian in their lineup, inflicting buff immunity on biggs with your TIE fighter will fix your issue. no taunt = you are free to take out the enemy vader, reaper etc.
    I symphatise with people having bad RNG, but there is always a way to fin. Always.

Always? You mean when the AI crits the whole match and you don’t? Or when you look at the other player’s ships and see their pilot at gear 8 or 9 when your g11-12 and they go faster than you or attack twice before your next capital ship turn when you have the exact same loadout. Yea always winning, lol.

Which line—up are you referring to (details please)? And in which order did they take their turns? Using which abilities? On which targets? With which results?
  • Azhureus
    10 posts Member
    Fleet arena is horrible, the worst from all events in the game. I have sometimes a chance to fight teams that are like 10k or even 20k less in power, I still get beat up eather on auto or manual, I have tried every commander I have(Acbar, Tarkin or Windu) still my win ration is like 1 per 10 fights. And I am not that huge noob. I know what my ships are doing and what and when I have to use. Guys with ships 5k power less is winning against me...really game ?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Azhureus wrote: »
    I know what my ships are doing and what and when I have to use. Guys with ships 5k power less is winning against me...really game ?

I'm sure, you also know, that the total fleet GP is not nearly as important as the strength of your starting 5. If your bench is stronger than your opponent's bench, but your starting 5 are significantly weaker, then you will most likely loose — especially if you are fighting Chimaera fleets with your Ackbar.

• I like ships better than toons ,
    I dont run biggs or smurf thrawn yet im still able to get to 1st daily . ( ftp )
    Biggest problem is the lemmings and stall in new content for months .
    It feels like growth is on hold killing any fun .
    If they flip power to geos and just pop out an org blue falcon az a fix im out .

Side note : where is c3po years down the track , slack
  • The fleet arena needs to be balanced based on fleet power not player level. its crazy when all 3 groups are so much higher power that you cant beat them. At lower levels the balance was better