Shard Chats = cheating

Prev1345
When are the game developers going to do something about the PVP cheating rings (aka shard chats)?

Replies

• Lol
  • Mesmerize14
    39 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    The devs don't give a kitten.
    Post edited by crzydroid on
  • I'm curious, what do you expect them to do?

Do you have a solution in mind?
  • have rotating shards?
  • Xerrath
    177 posts Member
    They can’t control what people do outside the game so don’t expect this to ever go away
  • Rotating shards by their date is a perfect solution.
  • Just curious. Why u call that cheating?
    Did they break any rule? alter any part of the game basecode? Do they exclude anybody from participating?
  • It turns a PVP match into PVP+P+P+P match. In a free for all competition teaming up defeats the purpose.
  • You ever read hunger games? It's the survival (or in this case staying on top) mentality
  • Bunch of cheaters trying to rationalize. Quite sad.
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    Even if just for the sake of keeping your opponents and fights fresh, I wouldn't mind a shard mixup (based on start date, of course)—I'm kind of tired of fighting the same people over and over. Breaking up the circles at the top would just be a side benefit.
  • gufu21 wrote: »
    Even if just for the sake of keeping your opponents and fights fresh, I wouldn't mind a shard mixup (based on start date, of course)—I'm kind of tired of fighting the same people over and over. Breaking up the circles at the top would just be a side benefit.

Put in Ugnaught lead and drop into the 500s, then you can fight a bunch of new people on your way back up
  • Robotolove wrote: »
    It turns a PVP match into PVP+P+P+P match. In a free for all competition teaming up defeats the purpose.

As I understand it, shard chats can be used for 2 purposes. The first is allowing more people to rank higher. If most or all of the people at the top have a different payout time, they can all get better rewards. That’s cooperation to improve things for everyone, and I’d call it a good thing.

The other purpose is exclusion of anyone not in the shard chat. It seems like that’s the kind of thing you don’t like and I’d agree that it’s not helpful. However, it’s still going to happen in certain arena shards. So if yours is one of them, you can break it up by beating the other teams so you do well at your payout time. And if you keep doing well, you’ll probably be invited to join the shard chat yourself!
  • Graives
    49 posts Member
    I bet most of the big spenders are probably in the top of the ladder and also in coordinating Arena shard chats, and I doubt the game makers will ever do something - such as changing the way Arena shards work - to upset the crowd that pays the most $$.

Not saying you can't be F2P and be at the top of the ladder... but I feel confident in saying the people who pay the most $$, are probably also the ones consistently at the top of the food chain in terms of Arena, guilds, TB, TW, etc.

That said, I don't think the current system is fair for people who aren't in a shard chat, and it is counter to the spirit of PvP. Nor do I think "just join a shard chat" should be a proposed solution. Eventually, someone WILL be excluded and never be able to break that wall.

Like... how many people do you typically let into a chat, anyway? 10? 20? 50? Good luck if you're number 11, 21, or 51. Enjoy always getting bumped out of the next highest tier.

• Anrath
    216 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Perhaps CG should deny people battles outside a window around one's payout, perhaps 2 hr before and 0.5 hr after one's timezone's payout time?
    Wouldn't stop players organizing but would reduce the amount of people in that group that could block new players from rising up into top 5 or so, for a given payout time.
  • Graives
    49 posts Member
    Right. Just had a few guildies in Discord talking about this today. One of them is trying to get into a Discord Arena shard chat, and they are basically "taking him under review" to see if they're going to allow him to actually join the group and break the top 20 or whatever.

Another guildie is in a top 5 shard chat... so basically, on his shard, the highest you'll ever go is 6, unless you're one of the five people in that group. They openly aggressively target anyone who bumps any of them.

In other words, PvP in the game is more about appeasing or bargaining or joining with the gatekeepers.

Gamemakers really need to come up with something better.

• So if you can never get #1 or reach a top rank cause the rest only target you, that's as intended? Stop with the nonsense, put some more randomization into it.
  • I don't frequent the forums much and I was wondering if this subject has been brought to the attention of the devs?
  • Lol, take a look at this forum section and count the threads of people looking for shard mates. The devs are indirectly endorsing the practice by giving players another spot to hook up. They unquestionably know about it.
    I don't frequent the forums much and I was wondering if this subject has been brought to the attention of the devs?

Many times. And like Graives said, it’s indirectly endorsed by forum staff.

Listen...Life isn’t fair. Cheaters win. A lot. The whole “cheaters never prosper” adage is fairy tale horse doodoo. I’m not advocating cheating, just pointing out reality. Also, whether shard chat is cheating or not is very subjective. Personally, I don’t think it is cheating.
  • There are a ton of different shard chats that are only looking to help all of the shard members. My shard is a perfect example. We coordinate and help each other get as high as possible for each payout. When there are multiple people on a certain payout, we rotate so all of us get as much crystal as possible. We’ve also searched for the few who haven’t joined and we don’t target them unless they are intentionally sniping during every payout. There is no reason for people to sit #1 all day when it only matters at your payout time.
    The point is, there are shards that completely focus on helping everyone instead of constantly competing with everyone all the time. If I don’t have to worry about being sniped by 9/10 players, that makes my life a lot easier in that portion of the game, and if they know I won’t be sniping them, it’s a win for them too. If you think there is “collusion” in your shard, find them and join them. Most of them are just trying to help the whole group do well in the game. When we work as a team, we also are able to keep those selfish players from staying #1 all day long and denying others rewards.
    Strategy is a huge part of the game, so why not try to use a different strategy to your advantage. Regardless of whether you think it is cheating, it’s a part of the game and frankly, it isn’t cheating.

As @Bigbearxba mentioned, life isn’t fair. If you want it to be fair, you’d need to put the exact same amount of whales dolphins and f2p in every shard, and make sure that every shardmate has the same GP...which obviously is a bogus idea. Whining about how life isn’t fair doesn’t help anyone. Instead of focusing on why you are at a disadvantage, find a way to get an advantage over your opponent. I’m completely f2p and even before i joined the shard chat, i was able to stay top50 for months. It’s possible to get good rewards regardless of your situation, you just need to play smart :)
  • Even though I am in a shard chat, I still don't like the concept entirely, and I try to make sure everyone on my shard needs to put a bit of effort in to climb. I think the real problem here is the 300 crystal difference the top ten have. It's far too selective, and stiffles the progress of those already behind. In short, make the rewards more universally acceptable, and make the top more about glory than gold so that everyone is fighting for fun not because of a fervent need to get 300 more crystals every day will an average of 100 other people share thier payout.
  • Calx
    112 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Imagine you’re in line for a free cone at Baskin Robins. But there’s a catch. The people behind the counter will make 20 free cones per hour, BUT will only hand those cones out to the people whose number corresponds to that particular hour. If the right people aren’t there to claim it, then they’ll trash that free ice cream cone (right in front of the hungry masses) and get to work on the free cones for the next hour.

If you’re an anti-social ****, then you stand in the front and elbow people out of the way, even if your hour isn’t up for awhile. Maybe you’re selfishly afraid of not being in position to claim a cone when your time is called. Or maybe you’re just a **** who likes to watch people cry as their cone is thrown in the garbage. Either way, it’s anti-social.

Have I changed your mind?
  • It is a pain not being aloud into your shard chat. I reached out to the guys in mine and they wont let me in. I've got a game launch shard as well so its all guys who have been around since the beginning and they are still jerks. Also I hit payout between 15 and 30 everyday depending on real life ability to push so its not like I'm low placing.... I'm lucky enough to share payout with only 1 other guy so I can push with little opposition in that last hour but I feel for the people who aren't that lucky...
  • I'm hearing a lot about the "good shards" that work together to see that everyone gets a piece of the pie. While I'm sure they are all lovely people it's the other shards that are the problem and that is why I feel something should be done. A better solution needs to be found. A simple shuffling of the shards by date would fix it. No one would lose their current ranking, just the guy/gal next to them wouldn't be in their chat room.
    I'm hearing a lot about the "good shards" that work together to see that everyone gets a piece of the pie. While I'm sure they are all lovely people it's the other shards that are the problem and that is why I feel something should be done. A better solution needs to be found. A simple shuffling of the shards by date would fix it. No one would lose their current ranking, just the guy/gal next to them wouldn't be in their chat room.

Not sure how that would fix anything - they'd just come back here and find the other guys again.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm only lvl 84 so not worried about this yet but can't you p them off and just keep knocking them out ?

I'm the kind of person that wouldn't mind spending $20 on crystals just to do this if they didn't let me join their "group" lol :)
  • Empiric1 wrote: »
    I'm only lvl 84 so not worried about this yet but can't you p them off and just keep knocking them out ?

I'm the kind of person that wouldn't mind spending $20 on crystals just to do this if they didn't let me join their "group" lol :)

Yeah, but how? It's a half hour til payout - 1 attacks 3, 2 attacks 4. Battle time out, wait 2 minutes, 3 attacks 1, 4 attacks 2. Each guy only needs to spend 1 or 2 battles and you're not getting closer than 5.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • dogwelder79
    1465 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Robotolove wrote: »
    I'm hearing a lot about the "good shards" that work together to see that everyone gets a piece of the pie. While I'm sure they are all lovely people it's the other shards that are the problem and that is why I feel something should be done. A better solution needs to be found. A simple shuffling of the shards by date would fix it. No one would lose their current ranking, just the guy/gal next to them wouldn't be in their chat room.

How would that prevent the new "shardmates" to look for each other and create another chat? I fail to understand this solution.
    Also, this is from the latest Q&A:

"NovaPrime: Are you aware of what many consider "Arena Mafias" that basically kill competition at the top 50 and people outside of those groups to be specifically targeted and excluded, forcing them to waste more crystals than they should due to their skill level just because a group of people want the easy way of getting those rewards?
    [JS] We're aware that some players communicate and coordinate with other players in their respective Arena Leaderboards. As of now, we have no plans to intervene in that behavior. It's a fine line between malicious behavior and cheating, we have several cheating experts who monitor the community and their behavior, but we also don't want to go overboard."

So this whole thread is pointless, devs know of this and are not going to do anything against it.
  • Get stronger
This discussion has been closed.