Mental / any kind of harassment in guilds

If I would be a subject of any kind of an harassment by an officer of my guild what can I do?
Is there any kind of reporting system available for these situations? This should be a game for fun. I bet I’m not the only one player facing this stuff... Daily.

Replies

• gufu21
    335 posts Member
    While there probably should be a way to officially report this sort of thing, is there a reason you couldn't just find another guild? Or talk to the guild leader about it (privately on Discord/Line, if necessary) and ask him to talk to the officer and even kick him if he doesn't improve?
  • Go find another guild I would guess
  • Find a new guild for starters
  • I believe a report function is coming with the chat update, but for now you may have to hit up one of the Devs through the forums, or even EA help. @CG_LucifersDaddy and @CG_Leviathan handle cheating accusations, in game harassment may not quite be their area, but there's no harm in trying them.

If that feels a little excessive to you, talk to your guild leader. If you can't do that, or your guild leader is unsympathetic, it may be time to move guilds.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I believe a report function is coming with the chat update, but for now you may have to hit up one of the Devs through the forums, or even EA help. @CG_LucifersDaddy and @CG_Leviathan handle cheating accusations, in game harassment may not quite be their area, but there's no harm in trying them.

If that feels a little excessive to you, talk to your guild leader. If you can't do that, or your guild leader is unsympathetic, it may be time to move guilds.

This.

• Probably just find another guild, ya know?

The only report system is on the forums, but it's probably best if you just talked to the leader or other officers, and if nothing happens, find a place that will treat you better
  • Slack_Babbath73
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    You know, leaving the guild or ”just leaving” won’t solve the problem. I’m strong enough to take it but some of the maybe younger and not yet so strong individual players might not be. It is an important thing to take on against bullying on every scene - here as well. If you’re an officer or perhaps a leader in your guild, you are also responsible of a fair treatment of your guild members.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I always wonder what people consider harrasment online. I've seen a few of these threads pop-up over the years and i can only conclude it's a very losely used term.
    I also wonder how a guild can survive with a bully as an officer, why are people staying in that guild?
    edit: forgot a word
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • catharsis478
    676 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    You know, leaving the guild or ”just leaving” won’t solve the problem. I’m strong enough to take it but some of the maybe younger and not yet so strong individual players might not be. It is an important thing to take on against bullying on every scene - here as well. If you’re an officer or perhaps a leader in your guild, you are also responsible of a fair treatment of your guild members.

As far as I'm aware accounts under a certain age aren't allowed access to the chat feature at all. It may be worth noting.
  • Slack_Babbath73
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    @leef Yeah, the guild like this can stand up as long as the sheeps don’t revolt against the wolf runnig the guild... Yet, it still is a guild run by a wolf - only merely the minions of the wolf seem to be on the steering wheel... *sigh* Baaaah! :)
  • Slack_Babbath73
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Thanks guys for your responses! Try to be fair and square with your own padawans. I still search for the right way to deal with my own master/nemesis. You be cool, ok? :)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef Yeah, the guild like this can stand up as long as the sheeps don’t revolt against the wolf runnig the guild... Yet, it still is a guild run by a wolf - only merely the minions of the wolf seem to be on the steering wheel... *sigh* Baaaah! :)

So why aren't you revolting?
    You can still obviously report him if you feel like that is necessary, i'm just curious.
  • leef wrote: »
    I always wonder what people consider harrasment online. I've seen a few of these threads pop-up over the years and i can only conclude it's a very losely used term.
    I also wonder how a guild can survive with a bully as an officer, why are people staying in that guild?

I've often wondered the same thing about harrassment/bullying and would love to hear some examples.

In any case it sounds like a bad guild to be in the sooner you realize it and leave and find a better fit the better off you will be. The more people leave the more likely it is that the guild will change or die because no one stays but the bad people
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    I feel like there is another side to this story. As a guild leader in a competitive guild, I’ve had to chase down members who weren’t pulling their weight. Is that what you are considering “harassment”, or is it something more substantial than that?
    There are a lot of guilds out there, a little bit of looking will find you one that suits you!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    kello_511 wrote: »
    I feel like there is another side to this story. As a guild leader in a competitive guild, I’ve had to chase down members who weren’t pulling their weight. Is that what you are considering “harassment”, or is it something more substantial than that?

Define "chase down", it's very possible that what you're doing is quite substantial =D
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    It's true there are two sides to every story. This may be harassment. It may also be someone who isn't following the guild rules.

I'm not saying either is the case btw.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    I hate to say it, but I know that people do get harassed. A former female player in my guild was harassed at one point behind the scenes. Meaning not in public chats so it made it harder for anyone to know about it if she didn’t say anything about it.

On a smaller scale, people get harassed for making mistakes or playing poorly. People get harassed for having normie rosters.

Of course, sometimes people just overreact and say they were harassed when really an officer just reminded them to get their 600 or to play day 6 of TB.

Just taking your word for it, I would say find a new guild. Plenty of guilds exist where good people who, once they are aware of any harassment stop the harassment. I know if I had known about the sexual harassment when it happened, it would have been stopped. But I do harass people to get their stuff done. More than I’d like to, I might add.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    leef wrote: »
    kello_511 wrote: »

Define "chase down", it's very possible that what you're doing is quite substantial =D

@leef To answer your question...I have had to do the same sort of thing that sying is talking about: Chase tickets, ask people to take part in guild events or follow simple raid rules, etc.
    sying wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I know that people do get harassed. A former female player in my guild was harassed at one point behind the scenes. Meaning not in public chats so it made it harder for anyone to know about it if she didn’t say anything about it.

On a smaller scale, people get harassed for making mistakes or playing poorly. People get harassed for having normie rosters.

Of course, sometimes people just overreact and say they were harassed when really an officer just reminded them to get their 600 or to play day 6 of TB.

Just taking your word for it, I would say find a new guild. Plenty of guilds exist where good people who, once they are aware of any harassment stop the harassment. I know if I had known about the sexual harassment when it happened, it would have been stopped. But I do harass people to get their stuff done. More than I’d like to, I might add.
  • Bonelich
    4 posts Member
    edited May 2018

@leef
    As a professional educator, we are taught that bullying occurs when somebody of superior strength or influence intimidates somebody to either feel worthless or to do something outside their nature or desire. In online bullying cases we look for demoralizing speech or derogatory wording with intent to damage ones sense of self worth. Unfortunately several times we chase down "bullying" reports simply due to somebody feeling overly sensitive. This creates a fine line to walk. Basically if somebody feels threatened, coerced, forced, or demoralized excessively, it is considered bullying. I know this definition seems vague but a lot of training is involved before being able to actually deem something bullying.

Edit: fixed typo
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Bonelich wrote: »

leef
    As a professional educator, we are taught that bullying occurs when somebody of superior strength or influence intimidates somebody to either feel worthless or to do something outside their nature or desire. In online bullying cases we look for demoralizing speech or derogatory wording with intent to damage ones sense of self worth. Unfortunately several times we chase down "bullying" reports simply due to somebody feeling overly sensitive. This creates a fine line to walk. Basically if somebody feels threatened, coerced, forced, or demoralized excessively, it is considered bullying. I know this definition seems vague but a lot of training is involved before being able to actually deem something bullying.

Edit: fixed typo

@Bonelich
    All the more reason to wonder what people consider harrasment online since apparantly there's alot of training involved just to be able to deem something is actually bullying.
    I do NOT condone harrasment, but i'm in favour of being able to be a behindhole without fearing to get banned because i'm hurting someone's feelings. The ingame chat has an age filter, so i'm operating under the impression that i'm only talking to adults of whom can be expected to be able to handle that. It's super easy to just leave a guild if you feel you're being treated wrongly, or for officers to kick anyone acting in a way that they do not aprove of.
    People using the term "harrasment" so loosely causes me to dismiss claims quickly and i'm not sure that's a good thing. Hopefully i will still recognize "real" harrasment when i encounter it so i can act apropriately in order to stop it and prevent it from happening again. Obviously that will be based on my own, uneducated moral compass ;)

• People are overly sensitive. Downvoting all of someones current & past posts was not only considered harrassment, but stalking as well 0.o
  • catharsis478
    676 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    People are overly sensitive. Downvoting all of someones current & past posts was not only considered harrassment, but stalking as well 0.o

If someone actually wastes an hour or more of their own free time to find and downvote all of my posts, I'm honestly going to be LMAOing at their life. That's, in a word, pathetic, and the fact that I've managed to make someone so angry, so irrational, that they're wasting their own time is just hilarious. I don't know if that's the kittenposter in me, but wow.

Sometimes I wonder how these over-sensitive types would handle it if we returned to the wild-west kind of internet we had in the 00's. In those days you got made fun of for caring too much about internet brownie points, you could be minding your business on your favorite forum and suddenly there was nothing but gore everywhere, and trolls would ruthlessly punish those potato enough to put personal and sensitive information on the web (and you kind of felt for some of those people who just didn't know better, because they'd get threatening phonecalls all hours of the day or night, hundreds of dollars worth of pizza sent to their homes, and get letters making fun of them for getting a guard dog).

What happened to "just turn it off/walk away" and "the block function exists for a reason?"
  • Harassment is bad, don't do it. I would abandon the guild and look for another. No need to put up with that here. There are lots of guilds out there and people are generally looking to work together constructively.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    People are overly sensitive. Downvoting all of someones current & past posts was not only considered harrassment, but stalking as well 0.o

Down voting was probably removed for that reason.
    But some posts really deserve the down votes they got...