Nihilus, Chirrut, ATF, Krennic, Gar and Holdo

Prev1345
Just curious, but why these characters of all the choices? Most players will already have DN, Chirrut and/or Krennic/ATF 7* from one or more of the past metas/raid teams. Gar is absolutely useless now. Holdo...well...er... she's not exactly very good, is she?

I'm not complaining about these bonus drops, but personally I'd rather take double drops especially with the daily hard node increase.

Replies

• Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    I'm not complaining about these bonus drops, but.
    Yes you are.

• Botzone1
    167 posts Member
    All the complaining is going on in the Content Update [HF] 5/1/2018 Thread at the top of the discussions.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    If you wanted to make a list of the lowest ownage rate of useful characters across the whole player base, those would have made my top 10 (maybe not gar) of guesses as to what they are.

It's not always about arena.
  • Just curious, but why these characters of all the choices? Most players will already have DN, Chirrut and/or Krennic/ATF 7* from one or more of the past metas/raid teams. Gar is absolutely useless now. Holdo...well...er... she's not exactly very good, is she?

I'm not complaining about these bonus drops, but personally I'd rather take double drops especially with the daily hard node increase.

I have seen ppl use Gar in Sith raid.
    I have him with a zeta - he’s not the best. I can say the same for Kren. I think both are good and work with certain teams but it’s probably not worth the time effort or money. But as an Empire guy I had to get them.

Chirut is a great toon and will help with lstb. Dn is dope and holdo will do well with res.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Just curious, but why these characters of all the choices? Most players will already have DN, Chirrut and/or Krennic/ATF 7* from one or more of the past metas/raid teams. Gar is absolutely useless now. Holdo...well...er... she's not exactly very good, is she?

I have him with a zeta - he’s not the best. I can say the same for Kren. I think both are good and work with certain teams but it’s probably not worth the time effort or money. But as an Empire guy I had to get them.

Chirut is a great toon and will help with lstb. Dn is dope and holdo will do well with res.

Isn't that the point, they are giving them out so there is less time, effort, and possibly money involved.

• Kyno wrote: »

Isn't that the point, they are giving them out so there is less time, effort, and possibly money involved.

Yesh- but I meant just toons ability wise. And trying to steer peeps towards Holdo and Dn
  • CPace
    151 posts Member
    edited May 2018

Ok not to sound mean but your totally wrong about Gar. His lead skill is great in the 2nd phase of the Sith raid and especially his ship too. Most teams use his ship. So I have no idea why your calling him useless
  • PeteSolo
    173 posts Member
    Speak for yourself, I don't have Krennic
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Haven’t 7* FAT or Gar yet. I’ll take whatever drops.
    But more likely than not, I think I’m going to get shards for those that I’ve already 7*.
  • Kramer512
    24 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I am happy nihilus is going to be a bonus drop. Need 30 more for a 7*. My only question is does this start today or is it only on may 4th?

Edit: just read the threa above. May 4-8
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    PeteSolo wrote: »

This. I've got him but at like 20/65. I've been playing for over a year now and just took Nih to 5 stars.

Not everyone follows the same path.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

First off, I am a launch player and don't have Krennic, ATF, Gar or Holdo at 7* yet. Secondly, even at 5* Holdo is the shizzle in res teams (especially when you split into 2 res teams for TW) - so you are mistaken there. Gar's ship is very useful and his leadership ability is great (he's also fun to run with a Phoenix team - as he pretty much attacks constantly) in certain aspects of the game.

So yes, I need 4 of the 6 and all are useful. They might not be meta/arena toons (at least not the 4 I need) - but I like the choices, as almost all will be a pleasant bonus.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    It's a common mistake that people make thinking everyone who plays is in the same position as they are.

Gar is a 16 energy cantina node. Those are brutal. Chirrut and Fulcrum are single slot Fleet Store purchases which are also very slow farms, and use up currency that could be spent on Zetas. Nihilus, Krennic, and Holdo are all single 20 energy hard nodes which is the most brutal of all.

I have no idea how many hundreds of thousands play this game, but it's highly likely that a huge swath of newer players don't have them.

Also Nihilus is arena meta currently. I use Chirrut, and Krennic in TW and TB. They are great. Fulcrum and Holdo are also fantastic for both of those game modes, and many guild mates swear by them. Gar is less used, but he's not as bad as people make him out to be.

All in all giving out free shards of mostly difficult to get characters that are mostly very good, and that most new players won't have yet is nice. Leave it to someone on the forum to complain about it.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    It's a common mistake that people make thinking everyone who plays is in the same position as they are.
    Jace - while I agree with 100% of your post, this part especially should be stickied, in bold and neon letters somewhere.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Jace - while I agree with 100% of your post, this part especially should be stickied, in bold and neon letters somewhere.

Also - longer tenured players- at one time had a chance to farm toons that they like or thought would be good, or accidentally farmed someone that was bad but then get a rework later and became good.

Obvious disclaimer- players can still do this.
    I’m referring more to players that are in a guild that want to compete and better their position in terms of tbs where you have required toons and factions.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    I just need to give up on the stuff that should be stickied in bold and neon. Let people complain while I just have fun playing the game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    I just need to give up on the stuff that should be stickied in bold and neon. Let people complain while I just have fun playing the game.

Ah man you’re in jail.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    I have 3 of those bonus characters at 7* - bonus shard tokens! And of the other three, two I have no interest in farming right now - but those shards are also useful as I'll be further along when I decide to farm them.
    Is it better than double drops? Probably not, but I'll take bonus shards any day.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Not every player is a veteran player. I don't have DN, Gar, or Krennic, and I have almost no shards of ATF, Chirrut, and Holdo. So I'm happy with the bonus drops!!
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Holdo...well...er... she's not exactly very good, is she?

She has an AoE that under Rey's leadership will land a lot of exposes and crack multiple existing exposes, and under Finn's leadership will be usable every time she goes. Her potency is low, but throw mods on her and it's fine enough. You're going to sneeze at an AoE daze that does damage (and lands exposes with Rey) on a stick? She has one of the highest combined hp and protection of any character in the game and a taunt. She can actively heal with one ability and passively heal with another.

What do you consider "good," then?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Bigslow
    104 posts Member
    I wouldn’t trade this for double drops though which is what happened.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Bigslow wrote: »
    I wouldn’t trade this for double drops though which is what happened.

I would agree with that. I have 5/6 of those toons at 7*, and I'm farming the 6th, but not in a rush. However, as my mother often told me before she passed on, "life ain't about you child."

I'll take the Shard Shop currency, and be happy for those that will benefit more from this than I will. And hey, maybe there will be more stuff going on for May 4th we haven't been told about yet. Maybe they're just slow rolling it out.
  • I’m thinking that maybe Holdo will get a capital ship(all a guess though), and maybe Gar is hinting towards his ship getting reworked? Again, just guessing.
    (PS idk why I’m so intent on ships
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    PeteSolo wrote: »

Original poster said most, not all. So they went talking about you
  • Aeternas
    65 posts Member
    The only one I don't have at 7* is Holdo. Would love to have her at 7*, but I doubt this event will do much to move me in that direction.

I think for a lot of people, the character selection for these bonus drops is quite good. However, I guess it remains to be seen whether or not the frequency of the drops is going to be anything to write home about. My money is on "no." ;)

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, though and hope dies last.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    If you wanted to make a list of the lowest ownage rate of useful characters across the whole player base, those would have made my top 10 (maybe not gar) of guesses as to what they are.

It's not always about arena.

I had the same thought, Kyno, plus 4/6 of them are "difficult" farms that require a lot of time/energy.
  • Aeternas wrote: »

Rebellions are built on hope.
  • Lee_Troyer
    9 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Aeternas wrote: »
    I guess it remains to be seen whether or not the frequency of the drops is going to be anything to write home about. My money is on "no." ;)

That's my stance on it. I would be pleasantly surprised if these bonus shards shaved more than a day or two of farming (especially if the drop of either one of them is random).

But that's not really a "nerf", as people often said during dobble drops : dobble 0 is still 0.
  • Just curious, but why these characters of all the choices? Most players will already have DN, Chirrut and/or Krennic/ATF 7* from one or more of the past metas/raid teams. Gar is absolutely useless now. Holdo...well...er... she's not exactly very good, is she?

Because instead of feeding the whales or 2 year +players, they may want to give something to the younger community. Every new event or raid is designed for veteran players and they leave out the younger player base...fact.
    So for ONCE its nice to at least give the younger player base SOMETHING they can actually get and need...even with the Han solo shards this month plus the bonus 10 for logging on.
    It's a nice nod to the younger player base...it isn't great but for once they are doing something not for the P2P or veteran players..but the rest of us.
    No complaints here.
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    I don't see why anyone would expect the drop rates to be any different.

The one thing I'm most interested in seeing is which nodes will be getting which characters added to them.