Letting go is the true secret....

ioniancat21
2091 posts Member
edited December 2015
For me, games like SWGOH are new to me and this has certainly been interesting. One of the parts I enjoy most ironically is chatting in the forum with others, sharing ideas. The high cost of IAP in this game blew me away. Add to that, the trickery displayed by the devs with the whole Bariss drama and all has led me to some new beliefs about the philosophy of it all. In my view, the secret to enjoying this game without all the drama and pain is simple, just let go of your emotional hangups concerning PVP and dominance. I find the worst of traits emerge when you create a scenario where players feel as if they are in a race to the top and when you get caught up in this, pain follows. I truly feel for the top level P2W players in the end because the pressure some must feel from this artificially created competition becomes more trouble than good. Being #1 in PVP doesn't make you any better off. Having all 7* players is not going to make the game perfect. After seeing all the messages over these few days over Bariss really brought this home for me, seeing players on the fence ready to give up as if this ruined their game for life. I'm not saying this was fair or good business either, I'm just saying that the impact of this event had an effect on my game, even though I'm playing free. I still farm and build my team and play daily, what I let go was the feeling of urgency this game brings out of a person psychologically. I no longer feel pressured to have the best team, I try my best but draw a line between fun and drama. One day in a year or so, EA will move on and the servers will be shut down and all our work here will be a memory. When that occurs, I'll be okay with it because I balanced my mindset. It's kind of like preparing for a death so that when it comes, you're ready for it. In the case of SWGOH, it's all a game, with assets we've merely paid for in money and/or energy to borrow, not keep forever. All my work, perhaps months of time, here one day, gone the next. It's good to keep that in perspective....

Replies

• you take entertainment products way too seriously mate ...
  • ewok
    149 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    SeroZero wrote: »
    vader_didnt_read.gif

Here I'll sum it up for you salty p2p players.
    " After seeing all the messages over these few days over Bariss really brought this home for me, seeing players on the fence ready to give up as if this ruined their game for life."
  • ewok wrote: »
    vader_didnt_read.gif

" After seeing all the messages over these few days over Bariss really brought this home for me, seeing players on the fence ready to give up as if this ruined their game for life."

I sure got demoted fast lol. Now I'm a salty p2p player! I want my Barriss refund!! Oh wait... Where's my Barriss?
  • SeroZero wrote: »
    ewok wrote: »
    vader_didnt_read.gif

I sure got demoted fast lol. Now I'm a salty p2p player! I want my Barriss refund!! Oh wait... Where's my Barriss?

lol nvm I went through your profile and weeks before the nerf you made a thread about it. You see before you make an investment learn what you're buying people.
  • ewok wrote: »
    vader_didnt_read.gif

lol nvm I went through your profile and weeks before the nerf you made a thread about it. You see before you make an investment learn what you're buying people.

Here's my experience with P2p players. They do all the leg work and provide all the data so F2p don't waste resources on item they don't need or want. P2p players get the latest characters and do all the level so f2p players can see if it's worth valuable resources to get. This forum is full of questions from new players that only P2p player can answer at the moment.
    vader_didnt_read.gif

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    I didn't read all of it, but he's actually right in what I did read.
    It's the PvP competition that gets people bent out of shape, that causes them to impulsively spend thousands of dollars, that leads to the "F2P vs P2P" arguments. And really, it's all nonsense.
    What's ironic is that PvP matters less in this game than any other game I've played. In some, if you don't seriously spend $ or time, you do not get any of the decent rewards. Here? There's barely any difference in PvP awards until you get to the top 10. The most important reward from Arena are the tokens and those barely change once you get above rank 200.
    What is the "premium reward" from PvP here? Crystals. Who cares? I find it funny that people spend $1000 so they can earn an extra 200 or 300 crystals a day. $1000 is 157,100 crystals. What else do you get out of it.. "bragging rights"? LOL.
    One reason I like this game is that it is NOT entirely based on pitting players against each other. And still people get upset like it is.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • True. Looking at the arena prize list, it's quite clear that f2p or lower tier p2p players can get plenty of arena tokens if they rank reasonably
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Reddplague wrote: »
    Here's my experience with P2p players. They do all the leg work and provide all the data so F2p don't waste resources on item they don't need or want. P2p players get the latest characters and do all the level so f2p players can see if it's worth valuable resources to get. This forum is full of questions from new players that only P2p player can answer at the moment.
    Qeltar wrote: »
    It's the PvP competition that gets people bent out of shape, that causes them to impulsively spend thousands of dollars, that leads to the "F2P vs P2P" arguments. And really, it's all nonsense.
    What's ironic is that PvP matters less in this game than any other game I've played. In some, if you don't seriously spend $ or time, you do not get any of the decent rewards. Here? There's barely any difference in PvP awards until you get to the top 10. The most important reward from Arena are the tokens and those barely change once you get above rank 200.
    What is the "premium reward" from PvP here? Crystals. Who cares? I find it funny that people spend $1000 so they can earn an extra 200 or 300 crystals a day. $1000 is 157,100 crystals. What else do you get out of it.. "bragging rights"? LOL.
    One reason I like this game is that it is NOT entirely based on pitting players against each other. And still people get upset like it is.

Two great posts here.....
  • P2p are on a slippery slope as there is always someone spending more on you who will still dominate and annoy you. F2p players can compete amoungst themselves at the same level based on their farming. I'm in top ten in arena but once my sid hits 7 stars in few days I don't care anymore. Just wanted the shards and ice only bought the heroine pack. Farm shards is still the way.
  • I just quit this game guys..too much work. Have fun everyone...and enjoy my top 15 spot in the arena! :)
  • Qeltar wrote: »

This is spot on. The other factor too is the poor AI - the pay gap has to be massively huge in arena in order to lock non payers or low payers out. People should be just fine taking down " chrome giants" in PVP long-term by just having a few non-pack farmable strong teams. Based on my experience so far, I'd say the AI is about a 20-25% handicap to the defending team based on the power stat (which has limitations, but it's a quick view). Spending large amounts only gets you a modest bump and there's heavy heavy diminishing returns here as you spend more and more.

Look at Kylo Ren pack. If you don't buy the pack but just used those gems to farm him, you could get him unlocked in maybe 5 days or so using Cantina refills. Then you'd get mats, xp, etc. along with it to. I think they've done a great job making good toons available to all. Sidious is a really great toon that's pretty quick to build, as is Lumi.
    vader_didnt_read.gif

Ditto.

No offense OP but, paragraphs dude, use them in future. Neglecting such basic writing aspects really hinder getting your point across, no matter how right or wrong you may be.
  • The sodium levels of Barriss players is too high right now. Just wait for the dust to settle. *kicks back*
    467-325-146
    Pretty good collection of characters so far and GROWING
  • I have only spent 15 bucks on this game and as long as I am not at work the hour before the PVP prizes are awarded I have not failed to take 1st place in the last couple weeks.

I am level 55 and most of the players in the top 20 are 55-58.
    My team is Luminara, Sid, Dooku, Jedi Consular, and Talia.
    I usually end up around 30th place before I start attacking because my team isn't that great at defending, but honestly I don't think any team is that great at defending. I can beat teams that are 3000+ power higher than me very easily and it has been about a week since I have lost a battle where I was the attacker.
    I think right now the key is timing attacks and picking the right spots to attack. For example, you can attack 2nd place from 11th place but the highest rank you can attack from 10th place is 7th.
    Just takes some cunning in the last moments to end up in the top spots and it doesn't take a lot of money to have a team that can do it, at least that is my experience so far, thing may change quite a bit when everyone in my server is at level 60
  • Ive purchased a couple packs. I'm here to say, go for the crystals instead. That said, the energy system and pricing needs to be fixed. I don't care what other games have. What other companies do, or what precedents anyone thinks have been set. The energy needs to either recharge 100% faster than it does now, or the refill cost needs to be kept static at 50 crystals per recharge.

I also feel the packs should be priced 50% lower than what they are offered at. CG is shooting themselves in the foot. Revenues would be much higher because of increased volume if prices were lowered.
  • Congratulations, you figured out the secret to enjoying video games. Imagine the world we will live in when this becomes common knowledge.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • I just quit this game guys..too much work. Have fun everyone...and enjoy my top 15 spot in the arena! :)

But youre still in the forums?
    vader_didnt_read.gif

Just ignore him, that ewok guy is a troll, his posts are all about insulting other people
  • data90x wrote: »
    P2p are on a slippery slope as there is always someone spending more on you who will still dominate and annoy you. F2p players can compete amoungst themselves at the same level based on their farming. I'm in top ten in arena but once my sid hits 7 stars in few days I don't care anymore. Just wanted the shards and ice only bought the heroine pack. Farm shards is still the way.

Me 2, 1100 tokens a day is the only reason Im fighting Arena, as soon as I got 7* Sidious, 7* Ventress and 7* Opress then Im out, I just have to have them because Im a huge Star Wars the Clone Wars fan
  • Destark
    81 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Qeltar wrote: »

So true, lol I thought the daily 500 crystals are so awesome, but if I want to still be able to fight for the spot, then I need to spend at least 500 crystals a day on refresh energy.... the real difference lies between 800 tokens to 1100 tokens, not that worth the effort if you dont want 7* a specific character from Arena Shipments too bad
  • I enjoy the game, this being said my breath smells like cat food.
    So many words in your post, anyone got a TL;DR version? :|