Zaul team in 2018?

I'm wondering what you guys think of a maul led team in 2018. Im currently running palp, vader, nihilus, maul, and sion. Maul isn't cutting it when not leading and I plan on swapping him out with tarkin because I wont be getting thrawn for a very long time. So I'd like to make a zaul team for fun or maybe for some raids or wherever I could use him. I was thinking zaul lead, SA, old ben, and a few other siths. Maybe dooku and marauder. I plan on getting sith troop eventually but he's in the way of getting my nihilus to 7. Now I've heard that nihilus at 7 isn't much different than at 3. So maybe I should farm sith troop instead? What do you guys think?

https://swgoh.gg/u/darthmordecai/

Replies

• Also heard that zaul lead can counter the palp meta if played correctly because of the 20 turn meter in the beginning. Should I zeta palp lead or maul lead first?
  • Jay_1997_C
    213 posts Member
    Nihilus is a hard node, Trooper is a cantina so do them both?
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Im wondering about this too. I dont have zaul geared yet but almost at 7*. Im currently running Sid Savage Sass SiT and Visas Mar as my Sith B team. Does very well on TW Defense. Savage Sass Sit and VM all have a snergy with "bypass protection" and can kill some pretty hefty tanks. Sid adds exposes and a lot of crit damage.

Think adding Zaul as leader but who should I replace? Does a Zaul team need a tank with Dancing Shadows? Or replace Palp? TW defnse needs a Healer ao I think VM has to stay...

And it seems like Zaul would be a good counter to EP teams as Sass can theoretically go faster than Vader under Zaul, but I have not tried it yet.
  • I am only on a June 2017 shard. There is someone who runs Zaul as a defensive team and it keeps him below 50. He runs Zaul, EP, Sion, DN, Talzin.

The stealth is annoying as it makes taking down Sion and Talzin unreliable. After a few turns your entire team is mired in plague and daze neuters TM gain. I play an EP lead and I have a more or less 50% win rate against the team. It’s very RNG dependent and I think people avoid him for that reason.

It could be that CLS or JTR have an easier time though. I imagine NS do quite well.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    I am only on a June 2017 shard. There is someone who runs Zaul as a defensive team and it keeps him below 50. He runs Zaul, EP, Sion, DN, Talzin.

The stealth is annoying as it makes taking down Sion and Talzin unreliable. After a few turns your entire team is mired in plague and daze neuters TM gain. I play an EP lead and I have a more or less 50% win rate against the team. It’s very RNG dependent and I think people avoid him for that reason.

It could be that CLS or JTR have an easier time though. I imagine NS do quite well.

I'm confused. Talzin won't get stealth because she's not a Sith. She should always be the first target b/c she's the only non-stealthed character...how does she ever get a chance to use Plague? Does he just have great mods that lets his Talzin go first?
  • DarthApok
    277 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Maul(L), Nihilus, Sion, Palp and... Rex!

Very easy to win on offense against Palp. Sion needs to be fastest with good potency followed by Nihilus. Sion AoE followed by Nihilus to increase cooldowns. Rex puts up tenacity and just control the other team. And watch out for opponents Sion’s AoE. Kill him first or stun him. Probably doesn’t hold on defense but on offense it’s easy. Rex and turn order is very very important. Also Sion+Nihilus NEED to beat opponents Vader. Otherwise it’s a quick death for you!
  • mrail
    18 posts Member
    Zaul lead is still great for TW. Mine routinely eats up multiple opposing squads on defense. A lot of it has to do w/ placement strategy too. If you put this team somewhere that the opposing guild isn't typically going to throw their A-Team squads you can basically put a hard block to their progress w/ a couple decent Zaul teams just since defeating them can be so RNG dependent.
  • Jan 2017 shard. Palp meta brought back Zaul and Rex to the top 50! I know I have seen Zaul in top 20 but a Rex lead I have seen in the top three. I can still win against those teams with my Palp lead, but I would prefer to fight against CLS, Nightsisters or Rey over Zaul and Rex
  • Anyone else running a Zaul team these days? The mirror matches are really starting to wear on me and I think the next JTR event is too far away for my liking.

I’m strongly considering spending the zeta. Any advice on running this team?