Why is Palpatine required, but forced out of the leader position?

In the mythic tier 3 event, palpatine is a required unit but he's not in the leader position and you can't move him there. Why is that?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    So that people who just unlocked him are not forced to upgrade him.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Then why is thrawn pushed in the leader position for his mythic?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Then why is thrawn pushed in the leader position for his mythic?

I'm just speculating, there. I forgot he was pushed to the leader.

Yeah I got nothing.
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member
    That mythic was beyond easy rebel health was super low.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I will add, it's all about event design and how they want to make it difficult and how difficult it's supposed to be.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm guessing that because Palp as leader would make facing any rebel squad far too easy and the only way they could make it harder would be to hugely ramp up speed or other stats on those toons, something the community has already expressed its distaste for.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Maybe it's to weed out people who just unlocked him and maybe requiring him as a lead as they don't have a better lead atm?

Only attempted it once, got completely destroyed as I normally use thrawn lead (6*), and instead ran with vader and didn't get a turn.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    I'm guessing that because Palp as leader would make facing any rebel squad far too easy and the only way they could make it harder would be to hugely ramp up speed or other stats on those toons, something the community has already expressed its distaste for.

Yeah, basically. It's a hard event as-is, and it's tuned for Palpatine as a squaddie. If they had him as the leader it would have to be tuned for his leadership, which would mean making it much harder. I'm not positive, but I also think it was tuned around Palpatine's Unique ability--very fast Rebels taking lots of turns, taking lots of damage at the start of each turn.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    I think the answer is far simpler: mythic Palp predates the rework and his lead was far inferior to thrawn or Vader lead.
  • Maybe they just toss a dart at a board when they do these events? May as well, really.

Put a required character in the leader spot: People don't like it.
    Put a required character in a non-leader spot: People don't like it.

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Honestly, I'm good with it, as it does allow people who had geared/leveled other Empire toons to try different leaders (Thrawn, Vader, Tarkin, etc.) for the event.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • JuliusSkywalker
    509 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Maybe Thrawn directly acts in battles and Palp only stays in the background of the empire.

I mean did you see Palp fights in any battles while the era of Galactic Empire?

He did not fight against Luke Skywalker - Darth Vader fighted
    He did not fight against Ezra Bridger - Imperial Royal Guard acted
    He did not fight against Sabine Wren - Minister Hydan did it
    He did not fight in Scarif and so on... That's why he is not the leader of a squad.

Instead Thrawn fights against the Phoenix + Spectes in Atollon. And he shot Ezra Bridger's shoulder.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    Maybe, but every other mythic event I've done has the unlocked toon as the leader when available.

They probably didn't want to make him forced lead because of the disparity between his leadership ability at lvl 7 and when zetad. You'd honestly need two different events for them as his zeta lead would simply steamroll an event that would be near impossible without the zeta. Odds are they wanted to avoid the complaints of forcing people to zeta palps lead purely for the mythic tier. Thrawn's lead zeta'd or not doesn't change the outcome of that battle very much.
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Maybe, but every other mythic event I've done has the unlocked toon as the leader when available.

"Every other"? You mean... Thrawn? R2 and BB8 don't have leader abilities, and Yoda mythic hasn't been released yet.
  • imo people should be allowed to chose where they have palp, lead or not and that way no one complains.

Personally I dont care as I just use vader or thrawn, but I wonder why this is the case.
  • I didn't find the bonus tier easy at all. In fact I didn't clear it. Thrawn lead or Vader lead or Tarkin lead - didn't matter. Rebels were WAY too fast. Like 3 toons dead before I got a turn fast.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • ElleMadara
    1017 posts Member
    Maybe Thrawn directly acts in battles and Palp only stays in the background of the empire.

He did not fight in Scarif and so on... That's why he is not the leader of a squad.

Instead Thrawn fights against the Phoenix + Spectes in Atollon. And he shot Ezra Bridger's shoulder.

That is a terrible theory
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    ElleMadara wrote: »

That is a terrible theory

He fought Yoda. And that whole Troop of Jedi that came to arrest him. He wasn't Palp yet (kinda?) But he definitely fought.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever