Ships 2.0 5/22/18 [Mega]

Prev13456765
ShaolinPunk
3486 posts Moderator
edited May 2018
CG_Tophat wrote: »
We’ve been talking about it for awhile, but Ships 2.0 is almost upon us! As a studio we’re incredibly excited to bring you an updated Ships experience that includes the new Reinforcement Abilities. We thought it would be useful to take you on the journey we went through in what brought about the changes to Ships. We’d also like to tell you about what the scheduled roll out of Ships 2.0 will look like over the next month so you will be prepared to see those changes. If you want to get straight to that, then skip to the bottom.

The Backstory

About a year ago, we embarked on what we thought would be the relatively easy task of making a ship PvE table. This was intended to go with the “Coming Soon” Hardware Abilities. Our engineers put in the appropriate connections and code, and our designers sat down to begin the process of making Ship PvE content. But as we worked through creating the content, we realized more and more that we were simply just not satisfied with the experience. Ships over multiple encounters basically just resulted in everyone charging up the Capital Ships ultimate and then destroying the enemy fleet in one or two volleys. Furthermore, we saw the sentiment in the forums and we observed through data that players were not really engaging with Ships.

And so we asked ourselves a tough question – could Ships be better? And to make Ships better, should we hold off on making PvE content? The answer we came to was yes on both accounts. So we thought about what could accomplish the goals we were hoping to achieve with ships, and decided to introduce – Reinforcement On Enter Battle Effects.

Reinforcement On Enter Battle Effects means that all ships, when brought in to battle from Reinforcements, now do something new to the battlefield. The allure of the mechanic is that similar to games like Hearthstone or Magic the Gathering, your ability to change the battlefield is somewhat obscured by what’s in your “hand”, in this case the Reinforcements bar. And the more we poked at this idea we realized that this could have a transformative impact on the way ships played and created a more tactical and dynamic feel. A flavor of Reinforcement On Enter Battle Effects were originally supposed to be the Hardware Abilities that were “Coming Soon”. As stated above, from what we saw in the wild, along with our intuition, we knew we needed to refactor them significantly.

So, with the move to the “new” Reinforcement On Enter Battle Effects, it meant that we needed more space on the battlefield so that bringing Reinforcements in felt meaningful. So we moved from 5v5 starting lineups to 3v3 starting lineups (don’t worry, you can still have five ships on the battlefield, you just start with three). And in moving to 3v3 starting lineups, it meant that ships needed to have their stats (including health, protection, damage, etc) and abilities updated to accommodate the experience. Why? Because ships were balanced for a 5v5 experience where there were no On Enter effects. And in doing all this, we fundamentally changed the overall experience. Ultimately, we think the experience has shifted from where 5v5 felt like a Naval Battle Simulation to 3v3 feeling like an intense aerial dogfight. And so Hardware Abilities became Reinforcement Abilities.

Why are we telling all of this to you? As you look through the update and start playing with the new version of ships, you can get some insight into why things are different. Fundamentally, it was driven by us having made something, Ships, that you didn’t play with or like as much as we had hoped. In an effort to make it better, we meaningfully changed the Feature. Our hope is that you find the experience as interesting and compelling as we do.

The Ship 2.0 Roll Out

Finally, we want to talk about what the ships roll out looks like. Starting with the release of our next client, Title Update 12, Ships 2.0 combat will be live in Fleet Arena, Territory Battles, Territory Wars, Challenges, and the initial Capital Ship (not Fleet Mastery) events. All of the new Ship ability kits and stats will be live as well. In order to get you started quickly with the new ship content, we are providing some materials via the inbox as outlined in the patch notes. The materials we are gifting you should be enough for you to take at least two ships to level two of their Reinforcement Abilities. Additionally, we are going to be taking a Cantina Table node and adding Ship Reinforcement Material to it, so that players can start farming to power up their ships. We will be also releasing two bundles, so that players can bolster their fleets to engage in the new mode.

In this update, you will see a Ship PvE table called Fleet Battles, but it is currently locked. We’re very close to finalizing the content, but changing the core experience required a tremendous amount of work and we still need some time to finish Fleet Battles. We are currently targeting a late June release of Fleet Battles. Fleet Battles will have its own energy and will be one of the locations where players can get Ship Omegas, Reinforcement Materials, and grindable locations for other ships/characters and gear. When Fleet Battles go live we will retire the Cantina Table node that supplies Reinforcement Materials.

Original Post (LINK)
**Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107

Replies

• Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    So with the update today, I presume the 3v3 ships change is coming as soon as everyone gets the forced update?
    Soooooooooo..... When do we get a rundown of what the changes are to ship abilities and the reinforcement abilities? Would love like, a day to look at what's coming to figure things out before that goes live yah know?
    @CG_Carrie
    @CG_SBCrumb
  • I just got the client update and ships are not yet 3v3. That will probably come with the next content update. And I'm sure they'll put documentation with that release.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Ruprecht
    111 posts Member
    So it's set in stone? They're really doing the 3v3 thing? Urgh horrible, I liked the ship battles the way they are.
  • Ruprecht
    111 posts Member
    What we needed were capital ships for resistance, first order and separatists.
    And at least 5 fighters for each fraction.
    But 3v3 is really stupid then there's no need for more fighters.
  • Ruprecht
    111 posts Member
    What? You can't write stewpid on this forum?
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    I'm so glad it's going 3v3. Sick of there only being room for minor variations of the same fleet without lots of hassle.

I do take 1st running a full republic fleet, but RNG on the META target lock fleet is merciless.

Be nice not to have to worry about my ships getting blown up before I finish my first round of attacks anymore.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Ruprecht wrote: »
    What we needed were capital ships for resistance, first order and separatists.
    And at least 5 fighters for each fraction.
    But 3v3 is really **** then there's no need for more fighters.

We can still get way more ships. Just now it will be more strategic instead of generic. Ships are lame the way they are. I personally think a smaller,quicker dogfight will be way more fun.
  • Ruprecht
    111 posts Member
    With less ships there will be even less variations.
  • Odin_Noah
    230 posts Member
    Woodroward wrote: »
    I'm so glad it's going 3v3. Sick of there only being room for minor variations of the same fleet without lots of hassle.

I do take 1st running a full republic fleet, but RNG on the META target lock fleet is merciless.

Be nice not to have to worry about my ships getting blown up before I finish my first round of attacks anymore.

Let me get this straight, you are tired of your ships getting blown up before their first round of attacks and you want to go down to 3 ships?

You are tired of the meta only allowing minor variations with 5 ships and you want there to only be 3 ships?
  • Kyngzilla
    265 posts Member
    Odin_Noah wrote: »

Let me get this straight, you are tired of your ships getting blown up before their first round of attacks and you want to go down to 3 ships?

You are tired of the meta only allowing minor variations with 5 ships and you want there to only be 3 ships?

It's not only 3 ships. Jesus. It's still 5v5 it just starts out 3v3.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Kyngzilla wrote: »

this.

and a stat change to ships. so we dont know what will come of it.

the fact that you can bring in different ships pretty quick as compared to now, and they all bring different abilities to the floor, we could see more variety at least in the reinforcements.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Release notes a day or two before would be quite helpful. Having, what amounts to an entirely new fleet arena dynamic, will take a little time to look at the new format and abilities. I'm just hoping they don't drop it an hour before fleet arena payout simultaneously with the notes.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Release notes a day or two before would be quite helpful. Having, what amounts to an entirely new fleet arena dynamic, will take a little time to look at the new format and abilities. I'm just hoping they don't drop it an hour before fleet arena payout simultaneously with the notes.

rebellions are built on hope.

I'm not holding my breath on that one, since there is technically a fleet arena PO every hour.

I agree it would be nice, but I dont really see it helping much, it always takes some actual game play to get used to things. At least for me.
  • So I read about fleet battles a little bit, but is it supposed to be a place like cantina battles? And if so is it coming out thai update, or next?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    OTBCreator wrote: »
    So I read about fleet battles a little bit, but is it supposed to be a place like cantina battles? And if so is it coming out thai update, or next?

this update
  • Cool
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

I'm not holding my breath on that one, since there is technically a fleet arena PO every hour.

I agree it would be nice, but I dont really see it helping much, it always takes some actual game play to get used to things. At least for me.

Right - I understand that no matter when they drop it, it will be right before someone's payout. But if they post release notes a day or two before, that would give everyone at least a little time to figure out what's happening before it goes live. Not a big deal - but it would be nice...in the name of communication and all. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Turasleon
    179 posts Member
    So it's set in stone? They're really doing the 3v3 thing? Urgh horrible, I liked the ship battles the way they are.

We've known that for a while, yes, it's 3v3.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    With less ships there will be even less variations.

If ships were staying the same, sure, but with every ship being updated you can’t say anything for sure.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Cm3Po
    234 posts Member

You get more variation from having it 3v3 and having more options who to call in depending on what your current needs are. For example, as of right now I have scimitar, poe, slave, and some other ship in my back up. That’s 4 variations for me, but only if I’m down a ship. I might choose scimitar if I need the forced taunt. I might choose poe if I can destroy the tie fighter. I might call slave if I have several target locked enemies.

There is far more variation having the match start of with 3v3 as opposed to 5v5.
  • Jedi_Bane
    310 posts Member
    I am going to try running a full FO under Tarkin. I think that Silencer, FOTF, and the command shuttle could become the new meta. Unless, of course, geonosians take that mantle.
  • Kyngzilla wrote: »

This.

Gosh I get bored of reiterating it. Some people just don't seem to want to listen.

• Fizix
    127 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Muaddib wrote: »
    So with the update today, I presume the 3v3 ships change is coming as soon as everyone gets the forced update?
    Soooooooooo..... When do we get a rundown of what the changes are to ship abilities and the reinforcement abilities?

Always check Dev announcements before asking questions regarding updates. However, I feel like patch notes should be released prior to or in combination with the update. But in their defense...The update isn't fully released yet. Only people who "manually" updated can see any change thus far.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/169922/quick-update-on-release-timing-around-tu12#latest
    The patch notes for TU12 will be arriving tomorrow morning, however you will have started to see some changes to the game as of today’s update.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member

Maybe you try to think very positive - however a 3v3 allows less variations than a 5v5. Always - mathematically.

It will favor ultra fast ships to dispatch one opponent before the fight. If Kylo Ren's ship will stay as super fast one - he will also be the non plus ultra as he will stun one ship resulting in 2v3.
    Also Biggs + 2 TL ships will be decent.
    It will do fleet fights way faster - means you defensively will drop also way more and that will only mean even more time spending for zero improvement.

And to all of this I just tell one thing:
    3+1 ships are no Fleet - Its even just a half squad

Fleet fights in movies looked different...remember? :smile:
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member

Yes cuz with reaper being meta we all get so many capital ship turns. /sarcasm

I'm curious if this is gonna be a silent nerf to reaper, making it less OP. Less ships = slower to kill ships = more turns for capital ships?

I can't remember the last time I used more than one rein, and even when I do I usually already have the battle won.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    XKurareX wrote: »

Maybe you try to think very positive - however a 3v3 allows less variations than a 5v5. Always - mathematically.

It will favor ultra fast ships to dispatch one opponent before the fight. If Kylo Ren's ship will stay as super fast one - he will also be the non plus ultra as he will stun one ship resulting in 2v3.
    Also Biggs + 2 TL ships will be decent.
    It will do fleet fights way faster - means you defensively will drop also way more and that will only mean even more time spending for zero improvement.

And to all of this I just tell one thing:
    3+1 ships are no Fleet - Its even just a half squad

Fleet fights in movies looked different...remember? :smile:

If the variation in fleet had anything to do with mathematics, you'd be correct, however the lack of variation in fleet is based entirely on abillity synergy and speed.

The fact that people don't start off with 5 ships on the board anymore means they CAN'T blow up my ships before they go anymore. It will bring more variety because those really fast ships are also really squishy and not being able to blow up the enemy before they go anymore, which means they will be at more risk than when there was 5 ships out to start.

It will also allow people to use any ability from any ship and dictate when that ship goes. Scimitar for instance is a very slow ship, so most people used him as a reinforcement which meant someone had to die before you could stealth. Now you can choose to call him in and stealth the first time your cap ship goes which is well before he would have gone in your starting fleet.

Logically thinking, it's PRACTICALLY CERTAIN that only having 3 ships to start will increase variety because it CAN NOT HELP but make it so that other formations are effective as well.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Kyno wrote: »

Right - I understand that no matter when they drop it, it will be right before someone's payout. But if they post release notes a day or two before, that would give everyone at least a little time to figure out what's happening before it goes live. Not a big deal - but it would be nice...in the name of communication and all. ;)

Yes it would be, but I also think without a listing of the stat changes it may not be as helpful as we would like either.

Not to push your buttons but you know some of that information will possibly be released through GC videos or something like that. They like to do that when there is a lot of information to get out.
  • Why can't they release it during the gap of GMT+0 and GMT -5 when the payouts would be over the Atlantic... Or at least find the time zones least affected.
  • What makes you think they would be exhibiting improved communication and transparency.........?

..............lol
  • Ruprecht
    111 posts Member

This.

Gosh I get bored of reiterating it. Some people just don't seem to want to listen.

Well aren't you a smart know-it-all.
    There are people like me who just started to play the game.
    Not everyone knows everything about the game and the forum.

I play for two and a half months now and I very much like the game.
    For me the fleet battles even were the best part of it.

But now it gets changed just because some of you reached the point where they have everything and are bored with the meta.
    But there will be another meta and you'll get bored again.