Bounty Hunter quest is badly designed

Prev13
Acrofales
1363 posts Member
Complete boba's bounty 500 times!
Ok. That's 500 battles on auto with boba. A bit of a slog, but ok. Doable. Right? NO. WRONG.

To complete boba's contract, you have to kill whoever moves first. That means the enemy has to take a turn. That just doesn't happen in 99% or more of pve battles where you can use boba. My not very well geared or modded bounty hunters auto DS node 7c without the enemy taking a single turn. They auto cantina 6a in the same fashion. Even playing deliberately badly on manual can't get these slow, lazy enemies to take a turn. So that leaves... DS TB? Mb TW if I'm very lucky? Mb credit heist?

That's very few fights...

Replies

• Use only Boba and the borrowed leader and then battle PvE
  • HoodieDM
    146 posts Member
    I was gonna say, tier 1 nodes should be easy to do.

~D
  • What happens if i delete the quest?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    What happens if i delete the quest?

Not sure what happens to your progress, but you can activate the quest again after you abandoned it.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Yeah. Boba assaj and the ally worked. Still seems like a failed concept. Isn't the point of these epic quests to require strong teams? Mindlessly slogging through 500 battles with an intentionally gimped team seems decidedly unepic.

When you abandon it says you lose progress made on subquests.
  • Yes
    145 posts Member
    These quests are not intended to do in week 1, there quests that need to be finished. I get why they put them in, to give people something else to do in the game. (You don't have to do the quest, really you don't) the rewards are lame, but I know I'm going to play these quests, slowly. Titles? So what. What is this WOW? ARCANE LEGENDS? A title even in those games were something you had to work for, not get right away. The Boba quests are probably the coolest title (if your going for a title) so work for it, and know when you get it, you'll be the coolest guy on your shard.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Most of the quest are badly designed, forcing us to auto battles instead of just simming them. Not only that doesn't add fun to the game, it actively detracts it.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Most of the quest are badly designed, forcing us to auto battles instead of just simming them. Not only that doesn't add fun to the game, it actively detracts it.

I still don't get this argument. If it's such a detraction, just ignore it. No one is missing out on any substantial rewards.

And if a player is simming all their battles, one could argue they're not playing anyways.....it's more of a slot machine at that point. Put resources in, push button, get random resources out.

I get that someone might not want to fight Cantina node 9-B for the 10,000th time - but if these quests are important to them, auto and 4x are already there. The only difference is the amount of time you have to wait to get the random resources.

The idea that somehow not being able to sim makes the grind suddenly no fun is a strange one to me.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Quests are largely aimed at newer players IIRC.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I just send in Boba with Asajj and a borrowed. I seem to get it most times.

The hardest part of this is finding Wompa? Is he anywhere besides arena and DSTB?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

I still don't get this argument. If it's such a detraction, just ignore it. No one is missing out on any substantial rewards.

And if a player is simming all their battles, one could argue they're not playing anyways.....it's more of a slot machine at that point. Put resources in, push button, get random resources out.

I get that someone might not want to fight Cantina node 9-B for the 10,000th time - but if these quests are important to them, auto and 4x are already there. The only difference is the amount of time you have to wait to get the random resources.

The idea that somehow not being able to sim makes the grind suddenly no fun is a strange one to me.

You claim not to get it, then say it yourself. It takes more time, in a game that is already time-intensive, and the time isn't spent doing something enjoyable. It partially negates the reason why simming was introduced in the first place. And the fact that anyone can ignore it doesn't make it good design, it's just bad design that we aren't forced to use.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Does it matter if it's bad design when you aren't missing out on anything if you don't do it?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • CantWithAU
    158 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    All the Prestigious Quests have multiple levels.
    I would think that each level will bring harder/more intensive requirements & give a new title on completion.
    Killing 50 Wampa with Boba Fett present is a bit much for level 1 of 7, if these are aimed at newer players, surely?
  • Yes
    145 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Lol, how is it a bad design? Because no one can complete it in a day/week? So what. Moral of the story some want titles and the 10 crystals, Some don't. It's another feature of the game, not a bad design.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Yes wrote: »
    Lol, how is it a bad design? Because no one can complete it in a day/week? So what. Moral of the story some want titles and the 10 crystals, Some don't. It's another feature of the game, not a bad design.

You aren't reading my arguments, are you? The quests themselves taking time is not a problem. Getting shards and gear takes time as well, we are all used to that. The problem is that to complete them, we have to run battles on auto, which requires more time in the game actively doing something that isn't fun. Simming was introduced to prevent exactly that when farming shards and gear, while keeping the long-term time commitment the same. See the difference?
    .. The problem is that to complete them, we have to run battles on auto, which requires more time in the game actively doing something that isn't fun. ..
    But it doesn't.

Multi-Sim, Sim. Collect Rewards.
    Battle, Select Ally, Battle, Auto. Collect Rewards.

One takes 2 more screen touches and about 30 seconds to 1 minute of the game playing itself.

It's not like the game is manually asking you to play 8 levels of a mythic event on manual and 1x.

As others have pointed out, In a lot of cases arena and GW and events and challenges all count. Some of that stuff you can't sim anyways. Just playing the game the way you are now will get you there eventually, unless you somehow actively avoid ANY content that can't be 100% simmed.

If it's really important to get these done today, or tomorrow, or this week - well I guess the sim button is out.

Otherwise, keep playing the way you are and you'll get there anyways.

• VA__IG88
    11 posts Member
    The problem is that to complete them, we have to run battles on auto, which requires more time in the game actively doing something that isn't fun.

I would hardly call autoing an easy battle "actively" doing something. You'll get progress through other, more enjoyable game modes, it'll just take longer.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    .. The problem is that to complete them, we have to run battles on auto, which requires more time in the game actively doing something that isn't fun. ..
    But it doesn't.

Multi-Sim, Sim. Collect Rewards.
    Battle, Select Ally, Battle, Auto. Collect Rewards.

One takes 2 more screen touches and about 30 seconds to 1 minute of the game playing itself.

It's not like the game is manually asking you to play 8 levels of a mythic event on manual and 1x.

Not true. Or rather, true only if you are simming one by one. Once you play/sim multiples, the time adds up. Run 10 battles and you lose 10 minutes of your day.
  • The decisions these devs make leaves me wondering: If this wasn't a Star Wars game, with characters that we all want to own, then see them become powerful etc, but based purely on the mechanics, the game play itself (that everyone sims cos they can't be bothered to play) & then the devs basically just putting stuff out there without the 1st idea of how it will impact the game or the players & leaving players asking "Do the devs ever actually play the game?", how many would still be playing, if it were not Star Wars & the characters we love, based on just the game?

Not true. Or rather, true only if you are simming one by one. Once you play/sim multiples, the time adds up. Run 10 battles and you lose 10 minutes of your day.

Only if you're sitting there watching the game play itself.

At any rate, you're entitled to your view on this, just as I am (and anyone else). I don't see it as a huge fail or QoL nerf. Just a nice bonus when I trigger one of these doing something else.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Yes wrote: »

You aren't reading my arguments, are you? The quests themselves taking time is not a problem. Getting shards and gear takes time as well, we are all used to that. The problem is that to complete them, we have to run battles on auto, which requires more time in the game actively doing something that isn't fun. Simming was introduced to prevent exactly that when farming shards and gear, while keeping the long-term time commitment the same. See the difference?

Why not just play as you always do? Maybe do GW manually everyone now and then. You'll complete some quests eventually, just like the "challenges".
    You simply don't have to run battles on auto if you don't want to, so that can't be a reason for not liking the quests.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

Only if you're sitting there watching the game play itself.

At any rate, you're entitled to your view on this, just as I am (and anyone else). I don't see it as a huge fail or QoL nerf. Just a nice bonus when I trigger one of these doing something else.

May not sound like it here, but I don't consider it particularly big deal either. Just something that could have been done better.
  • I actually kinda like the quests. They take nothing from the game. If a quest is not for you you can ignore it an perhaps in time it will do itself or not no loss. But on a slow day I am sitting waiting for something it gives me something to work on that takes time. The rewords are crap so there isn't any reason to complete them other than you want to. And many of them will complete themselves given time. So they are strictly an add that can be ignored at no noticeable loss but can be somewhat fun when you want a time sink. Seems all good to me.

I do admit some of them like the all the prestige quests are a bit annoying in the silliness of the requirements and time taken for said rewards but that is why I am ignoring those quests. Besides I already have an in game title of "General". It is kinda cool to have one, but more pointless than anything. Though "Sith Master" or "Jedi Master" would be an upgrade. I may work on them over time, or I may not haven't committed ether way yet. No big deal ether way.

I don't get the negativity over a simple add that subtracts nothing from the game and doesn't affect those who chose to not partake in it. Not everything needs to be for everybody. Plus it helps noobs learn the game at least in theory. That is reason enough for them. I read the complaints and I just don't get them because they don't change anything unless you enjoy them. I kinda do.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    The real question is, where is Wampa outside of DSTB?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Atlas1 wrote: »
    The real question is, where is Wampa outside of DSTB?

In arena? And maybe sometimes even GW.
  • TheJEFFtm
    917 posts Member
    To those complaining about the 500 bounty completions... you did notice that was only one of the three activities for step one of seven, right?

You are going to have to WANT that title.
  • TheJEFFtm wrote: »
    To those complaining about the 500 bounty completions... you did notice that was only one of the three activities for step one of seven, right?

Yeah - I don't think people have caught on that the 4 available prestige quests are only showing the first part of seven.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    TheJEFFtm wrote: »

Yeah - I don't think people have caught on that the 4 available prestige quests are only showing the first part of seven.

On the bright side, once you're done you probably have a maxed BH squad (assuming you need a different g12 each tier).
    quick tip; auto-ing the STR challenge with boba and 88 gets you 15 contracts each week with relatively ease.
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Also remember that these quests are 4 parts. I got asajj’s done and now I have to bring dooku to g12, kill 1000 republic toons with dooku there and WIN 10 arena battles with just Sith. I can’t imagine what 2/4 or 4/4 look like
  • TheJEFFtm
    917 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Also remember that these quests are 4 parts. I got asajj’s done and now I have to bring dooku to g12, kill 1000 republic toons with dooku there and WIN 10 arena battles with just Sith. I can’t imagine what 2/4 or 4/4 look like

Yeah, that is what I was getting at - bounty hunter is 7 parts, very likely one for each of the seven Bounty Hunters currently in game.