1 posts Member
edited May 2018
xwev6oerjva4.png
AlliΔnce π

Replies

• Shellzbutt
    300 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Condolences to family and friends...thats terribly sad news , thoughts go out to you all
  • Grandepatron
    103 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Text of Graphic:

The AlliΔnce π Cluster is missing a brother tonight, while we mourn the loss of one of our players, whom most of you knew as C3PO. He was one of our dedicated and long-term members. Yesterday evening he expressed a desire to end his life after a long struggle with depression, and in our time of greatest need, a diverse group of people from around the globe came together and worked most of the night to locate and try to get help to him when it was most needed. Unfortunately, we are deeply saddened to report that he had passed in the hours after his final message. Someone close to him reached out to us this evening and passed along the news. To the best of our ability, we have independently verified this information to be accurate.

There are few words that can express the depth of our gratitude towards the players, content creators, developers, and support staff that gave up their sleep on a holiday weekend to assist us. You all know who you are, and without you this community could not be what it is. Please take a moment to realize that every member of this community, no matter how vocal or quiet, is cared about by an incredibly deep community. If you’re hurting, or need someone to talk to, reach out. Help can be just an @ away.

“A true community is not just about being geographically close to someone or part of the same social web network. It’s about feeling connected and responsible for what happens. Humanity is our ultimate community, and everyone plays a crucial role.”
    – Yehuda Berg

We would like to take this time to call attention to the larger issue at hand. The WHO reports that at least 350 million people worldwide suffer from depression, and two-thirds of all suicides in the United States are linked to the illness. No one should suffer alone. We all share a commonality, and in that we have the unique platform to affect change on a broader scale. Reach out to your guildmates, your friends and family, your coworkers and let them know that no one is alone in the world. One suicide is one too many.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (In the U.S.)
    If you or someone you know is in crisis—whether they are considering suicide or not—please call the toll-free Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) to speak with a trained crisis counselor 24/7 or text NAMI to 741-741.

Kirkens SOS i Norge (Landssekretariatet)
    Hotline: +47 815 33 300

Suicide Prevention Lifelines Abroad
    http://www.suicidestop.com/call_a_hotline.html

Selvmord og selvmordstanker
    https://helsenorge.no/sykdom/psykiske-lidelser/depresjon/selvmord-og-selvmordstanker

We would also like to pass along message from one of our members, who works as a psychiatrist when he’s not smashing the holotable.

“Many are afraid to talk about suicide with a depressed or suicidal person thinking that talking about suicide will drive them to do it. Nothing could be further from the truth. Suicide is all about being alone and silent, talking about it shows someone is listening and is there to help. Everyone who is thinking about suicide believes they are alone. They are not, the most important thing anyone can do to prevent suicide is to talk, the second is to listen and the third is to act.

Talk about suicide and how the pain they feel now can be relieved and shared. Many people feel suicide will end their pain. I've talked to many patients about suicide attempts and a common theme is they don't want to hurt anyone but themselves. Talking to them dispels that fallacy as you show your pain and grief.

Listen to their stories about how they came to this decision. Most have tried medications, therapy, drugs, ECT, TMS and family/friend interventions. Meds don't listen, too many therapists try to fix what is not broken and don't really listen, drugs make matters worse and while ECT is proven to reduce suicidality it is not readily available everywhere and has that stigma of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest attached. Listening, just listening and letting them talk may be more helpful than finding a solution at that moment. That leads us to...

Act. A simple touch to reassure them you are there can make a world of difference. Having a Crisis worker look in on them can too. In very severe cases, hospitalization may be needed. In the end, doing nothing accomplishes nothing.

If someone still kills themselves despite your interventions, it is natural to feel guilt but think if you did nothing and could have deterred him or her. That is a much worse fate. All we can ever do is try.”

My own thoughts:

I'm no therapist but I promise you this:

I will listen.
    I will care.

If you or someone you love needs help, please reach out suicide.org
    Love SWGOH and want to keep it great! YouTube: Reality Skewed Gamers
  • Carrie
    122 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    This community of people is incredibly supportive. I hope this never happens again.

Condolences have been sent on to his family on behalf of Alliance Pi.
    Senior Producer, Galaxy of Heroes
  • Condolences from SPC Cyprus Force. He was a shard-mate and had lots of battles for rank with him.
  • I’m terribly sorry for your loss, “our” loss as a community. This is heart breaking.

Condolences from Force United.
  • Terrible to hear. My condolences.

Anyone can PM me, if you need an ear.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0gLntLIBYw

I regret that I'll never get to know C3PO, and that he felt his only course was to take his own life. To those that know, and loved, and tried to save him, I can only offer my condolences and thanks; God bless.

It may seem like a hollow platitude, but my inbox is always open--be it in forums or in game--and I'm always happy to talk. Please, feel free; whether you just want to trade insults, or have deep heartfelt conversations, or ask for advice. I'm game.
  • CarterH
    57 posts Member
    Mando's Castle of Doom sends our condolences and are praying for all those involved.
  • Our deepest condolences from Scoundrel Federation
  • jjkriv
    429 posts Member
    TriHards R Us send our sympathy.
  • I would just like to echo one point: If you think someone is suicidal, ask. There are no studies showing that asking if someone is suicidal causes them to be suicidal. However, there is data that shows that people who are suicidal will respond if asked directly. Some times, that encounter occurs early on when you can still make a difference.

My standard question is “It sounds like you are really down, and I’m concerned. Are you thinking about killing yourself or anyone else?”

My heart goes out to C3PO, and all of those who were hurt by his actions.
  • Krag
    48 posts Member
    No words may help, but my condolences.
  • Khayman
    850 posts Member
    Condolences from Olympus sorry for your loss.
  • AxisBold
    29 posts Member
    Condolences from Tosche PowerConverter Supply.

I personally was deeply moved by the original post. Thank you for sharing this with the community.
  • Amendera
    78 posts Member
    My very sincere condolences. I wish this wouldn’t have happened. I wish this doesn’t happen again. :'(
  • Condolences as well. May God rest their soul.
  • SirOberon
    40 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Condolences from the Empire. This is truly sad to read.

Removed reference to removed content. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • This is so heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to his friends and family. You will be missed. Rest in peace, may the force be with you, always.
  • ilpots88
    14 posts Member
    From Italian Furious Heroes, condolences
  • mt875249
    119 posts Member
    Condolences
  • Deep Condolences from Emerald Society
  • "Who lives in the memory of his loved ones,
    he is not dead, he is only far away;
    dead is only who is forgotten......"
    The 187. Legion express our deep condolences.
    Our thoughts and our compassion are with his family.
    MG-71
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    My Condolences to the family

Faith can be a powerful tool in fighting depression, some people, like myself, are alive today because of belief in our Heavenly Father. I know I'd not be here if not for my Faith.

Removed reference to removed content. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • My condolences. I got the chills covering my entire body reading this. To know that a group of people that probably never met in real life came together in an incredible way to try to help another. Hope the family can heal and keep his memory alive.
  • RenJensen
    8 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    This is tragic news. We had some good times together in this game and some fine conversations on discord. A good officer, a good sparring partner and a good contributer to our guild, even after he re-joined Alliance he kept sharing tips and strategies so we could improve. On behalf of me and CCI, all prayers go out to his family and friends in this sad time. Rest in peace @C3PO - Δπ2. May the force be with you, always.
    Post edited by RenJensen on
  • Sad news. I am an arena shard mate of his. I'm sure I speak for my guild in saying our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.
  • I'm saddened to hear this and my condolences go to everyone who knew him.

Thank you for reaching out to the community with such an important message. Suicide is increasingly common and many people will consider it at some point in their lives, but people are still often too ashamed to talk about it.

If you're in the UK and want to talk to someone but don't feel comfortable talking to family and friends, the Samaritans hotline is manned 24/7 - 116 123.

You can also dial 999 - it's not just for heart attacks, we're here to support your mental health too.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • From all of us at Alliance Nu, our heads hang a little lower today, our deepest condolences.

(In game - Veran - Officer of ALLIΔNCE Nu)
  • Terribly sorry to hear this.
    I'm sure every member of my guild Skicreu II will join me to express our condolences to his family and friends.

Depression is a very serious illness far too often overlooked, sadly even sometimes by GPs.