Ship Challenges large increase in dificulty

Prev13
Gorem
1190 posts Member
Anyone else finding the rework has made the challenges much harder then before? I know they seem to all require MORE ships then before (yet we have less on our team, go figure) and Tarkins is not even launch-able, But like for the current exp droid challenge... I can't even make much of a dent in my current tier.

Before the rework I was pushing for three stars, almost had it. Now, I can't even complete it. Seems like all the other challenges I've tried are MUCH harder then they used to be, given massive advantages to anyone who has completed them prior to the rework. I'm so glad I finished off the other challenges and got my Tarkin Five starred before this, but feel bad now seeing all the others around me who stand no chance against me now since they can't catch up anywhere near as easily as I found the challenges I have completed.

Replies

• ejsteven
    12 posts Member
    I used to be able to achieve two stars on tier II of the ship enhancement droid challenge, however, since ship 2.0, I'm not even able to kill a single enemy, sadly forcing me to go back down to tier I. I just tried the ship ability material challenge today and it has the same problem. The level of difficulty needs to tuned so it is adequately challenging for players who can meet the minimum requirements, rather than being an impossible feat.
  • The recommended levels for some events and challenges are WAY wrong/ Unrealistic! Of the 6 ship challenges, the 3 Materials challenges are way harder than the recommendation... Tier 4 says level 77+ ?!?! First off, level 77 ship or crew?? (Lol) it'd have to be level 77 ship... with, crew at 7*/GL12?? IF Anyone can complete with level 77 ship and NON MAXED CREW, I WANT TO SEE IT! Let's see video of it on YouTube!!
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Recommended levels and gear and whatnot have always been way off. Just ignore it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    Recommended levels and gear and whatnot have always been way off. Just ignore it.

I've seen consistent gedanken from multiple people that the lower tier challenges have become significantly more difficult, to the extent that many new level 60s are unable to compete any challenges and thus unable to complete their daily activities.

OP: Carrie has taken note of this and is looking into it
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    well, its good to hear that Carrie is taking a look at it, cause as it stands currently, all ship challenges are pretty much confirmed to be much harder then they ever were.

Hope to see some fixes coming there. Busy trying to get Ackbar's Five star and its such a mess since the 3v3 update. Not even going to try for Mace's.

I mean, I have a six star Jedi Consular in a five star ship geared 9, and its SLOWER then the enemies entire team, let alone their own Jedi Consular Ship.

This going for just five star Ackbar, a "unlock with four star ships" requirement

We should not need seven starred G10 heroes to unlock something this low
  • The only ship challenge I have done since the rework is the tier they added to the ability challenge with the ship omegas. It seemed easy enough. 3 stared it first try with no difficulty but I have a pretty deep ship roster so I'm not sure how much difference it is for lower levels. It may be easier to tell when the 7 star capital ship events come around again. They were moderately challenging for my ships before so they may be harder now. But if you're having trouble with ship challenges, you do need to gear pilots to a decent level to be halfway competitive in fleet arena so it isn't a waste to do so. Most of my pilots are gear 9 or more. G10 or g11 for the ones i use most. I don't regret gearing them up since i get in the top 10 or 20 in fleet arena and 100 or more crystals a day from it.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    The only ship challenge I have done since the rework is the tier they added to the ability challenge with the ship omegas. It seemed easy enough. 3 stared it first try with no difficulty but I have a pretty deep ship roster so I'm not sure how much difference it is for lower levels. It may be easier to tell when the 7 star capital ship events come around again. They were moderately challenging for my ships before so they may be harder now. But if you're having trouble with ship challenges, you do need to gear pilots to a decent level to be halfway competitive in fleet arena so it isn't a waste to do so. Most of my pilots are gear 9 or more. G10 or g11 for the ones i use most. I don't regret gearing them up since i get in the top 10 or 20 in fleet arena and 100 or more crystals a day from it.

Well, for example, new players hitting 60 are unable to complete the daily challenge anymore, due to needing to complete the ship challenges. The beginning challenges are so hard now that the ships you get to start with, cannot complete any challenge. And what I've said and many others.

Something like yourself which is mostly completed is not really relevant here, we talking five star challenges and lower being harder then they used to be, to the point they went from people being able to three star them, to people not being able to complete them at all.

• I definitely agree that the ones that are part of the daily challenges be beatable fairly quickly. It is really up to CG on what they want the difficulty for the events to be. My comment was just providing what I have seen from the change. I am aware it is a different beast with a deeper roster but the fact that the highest tiers are still beatable should provide some hope for those struggling.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Yeah, that's good to know :)

At least eventually things even out, just need to make the beginning tiers like they used to be, not planned out very well for new players. Imagine starting the game now, we'd have all quit by 60
  • It also depends on how quickly you can build a fleet that can beat the challenge. If its a week it's not terrible. If it's several months then that's different. There's no way for me to tell which it is since I have several maxed ships. I have also seen posts complaining that chimeria can't win in arena under the new 3x3 yet i took first today with a similar lineup as before and my top ten is full of chimeras still. So that's to say that I'm a bit skeptic when people say it's impossible. It could be that different shipsbmay work better now or a different strategy is needed but it is still beatable. For example I did notice that the ability mat used to require only ds ships but the new tier at least allows all ships. If the lower tiers are also like this that would likely make it where new players get zetas sooner which would counter balance an increased difficulty.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    It also depends on how quickly you can build a fleet that can beat the challenge. If its a week it's not terrible. If it's several months then that's different. There's no way for me to tell which it is since I have several maxed ships. I have also seen posts complaining that chimeria can't win in arena under the new 3x3 yet i took first today with a similar lineup as before and my top ten is full of chimeras still. So that's to say that I'm a bit skeptic when people say it's impossible. It could be that different shipsbmay work better now or a different strategy is needed but it is still beatable. For example I did notice that the ability mat used to require only ds ships but the new tier at least allows all ships. If the lower tiers are also like this that would likely make it where new players get zetas sooner which would counter balance an increased difficulty.

how do you get ship materials? Challenges, ship ability mats for upgrades? challenges, ect.

If you can't complete the starter challenges with the starter ships they give you, as people have been reporting, it means until you spend a ton of time gearing up characters (and neglecting everything else, I mean at sixty, people don't have seven stars, let alone six stars)... its all a mess.

Unless you pay to start doing them early on, you will forever be behind in ship arena. Hoping they fix that, then again, most lower tiers do need a fixing as they are harder then before.
  • You can get ship currency and ship training droids in gw and cantina. I would think that increasing the level of the ships along with gearing your pilots would be enough to get the first tier of the ability challenge. But I can't tell for sure since I'm not there. If the op has already done this then the complaint may be legit but if they haven't leveled any ships that's a different story. For example expecting to beat the first challenge with level 20 ships with g3 pilots is unrealistic. But if you can't beat it with level 60 ships and g8 pilots there may be an issue. Unless they give more info on what they use, it is impossible to tell. It may also be that the op was running ships that have bad synergy but managed to scrape by before but can't now but that there are still plenty if options that can beat the challenge at lower levels. Also i imagine when the pve table becomes available, it'll be much easier to get some materials from there so making the challenges harder may be intentional to balance that. But once again that's all speculation.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    well, its good to hear that Carrie is taking a look at it, cause as it stands currently, all ship challenges are pretty much confirmed to be much harder then they ever were.

Hope to see some fixes coming there. Busy trying to get Ackbar's Five star and its such a mess since the 3v3 update. Not even going to try for Mace's.

I mean, I have a six star Jedi Consular in a five star ship geared 9, and its SLOWER then the enemies entire team, let alone their own Jedi Consular Ship.

This going for just five star Ackbar, a "unlock with four star ships" requirement

We should not need seven starred G10 heroes to unlock something this low

Part of the problem here is jedi councillor isn't a great ship. If you want your team to go first, farm tfp and his ship. It is much faster. Fotp is also good but a bit if a glass cannon. Vaders ship is a must have but slow. But with tfp or fotp and biggs you should be able to land target lock and taunt which should help you survive long enough to do damage. Vader is a good third since he can't miss and tl adding protection to biggs. I use fives and fett as reinforcements. They can come in and smash several ships if you have the tl before you call them in. Fett taunts so having him geared helps with him being tanky.
  • Kol8Ajawa wrote: »
    You can get ship currency and ship training droids in gw and cantina. I would think that increasing the level of the ships along with gearing your pilots would be enough to get the first tier of the ability challenge.

Unfortunately this is the problem. As far as a fresh level 60 player goes, your only source of materials to upgrade ships comes from GW and Cantina. Before the update we had GW, Cantina, and FIRST TIER ship challenges. Now with only GW and Cantina, it will take weeks if not months just to beat the first tier of ship challenges. Which is fine I guess if thats what they wanted with this update, but then they need to REMOVE the ship challenge requirement from the daily activities because as it stands, a fresh 60 player cannot do their daily anymore.
    I made post a few days ago about this same issue. My wife just hit 60 a few days ago and I've tried everything I can think of short of buying ships from the store, and nothing works. First tier ship challenge is way too hard. I geared up her pilots and ships as much as I could with what little materials a fresh 60 has to work with, and its just not possible to win.

It does look like they are running more of the ship basic training events. I think that gets you mostly shards but that should help some
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    also the omega for dailies doesn't start until lvl 85. Most everyone should be able to do challenges by then. Other than that you don't miss much by not finishing the last daily. I'm also sure that if this is a big enough problem (ie 70% of level 60 players not being able to veat a ship challenge for months) cg will either nerf a tier or remove it from the dailies. That likely will take a couple of weeks though. But I'm skeptical since there are many complaints on the forums about something being impossible when it is simply hard and wai. Gw is the most common. There's a post about everyday with a lvl 70 player whinning because gw is too hard to be beaten every day. And from the name ship challenges, i doubt they intended it to be easy from the beginning.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    @DarkHelmet1138 You sure have a lot to say on a subject you know nothing about and a subject that its already been proven earlier in the thread that you have no relevance with. Are you a new player? no, do you know anything about the ship challenge problems? no. Do you already have a completed team which this thread is not about? Yes.

You are spamming off-topic related things and derailing this thread, can we please keep relevant information here, I was hoping to hear from other newer players about their difficulties in how much harder the "beginning" challenges are. As this is a ship thread buried in the challenges area, its already hard enough to get people here as most are all being merged into the giant thread in general discussions.

Unless this is your way of helping and bumping, then go ahead xD
  • Jeffrome
    63 posts Member
    @Gorem chill bud... he’s trying to be encouraging in a way... I think. He’s saying just keep working on your ships and it will be beatable soon. This game is about resource management. I have focused ships hard and exclusively in some areas because I know it’s more rewarding than regular arena. I just hit level 85 two days ago and today, for the first time, took 1st place in my shard. I was also able to 3* the new challenge that unlocks at 85 on my first try... because I’ve focused the right ships and I’ve geared pilots. I suggest you continue to level and gear the good pilots and ships. Focus Phantom and Ghost if you already have a decent Phoenix Squad and that’ll make life easier. Get Biggs to 7* and then get KRU and his ship to 7* as well. Focus ships and pilots for a short amount of time and you will not regret it in the long run... and you’ll beat those challenges before you know it. It took me a while before I even had some of the requirements to beat the last tiers of the challenges as well.
  • I just got back to this thread and it appears there are a few high level players that seem to doubt there is a significant increase in challenge difficult so let me outline my problem clearly.

I'm trying to do Tier II of the ship ability material challenge, which I need to 1 star in order to get the necessary materials to continue upgrading my fleet abilities (Tier I only gives me the green type which is not enough).

Before ship 2.0, I was able to 2 star Tier II (which I have done at level 68); now I am unable to even destroy a single enemy ship, let alone 1 star it (despite being at level 72 now).

I've been consistently making rank 5 in my fleet shard for the past week and I have focused on all right ships - Biggs, KRU, Ghost, Phantom, FOTF, TF. However, now I'm having doubts that I can keep up with the whales since I have stopped accumulating blue materials due to inability to complete the challenge at the right level.

I am sure I can beat the challenge given a few weeks of crew and ship leveling, however, this means I would be level 76+ in order to beat a tier II level 68 challenge. I strongly believe this is not what CG is intending 3v3 challenges to be like.
  • As a fresh 60 who hasn't been able to complete his dailies the past two days, this sucks and makes me want to put the game down.

The complete all dailies task in particular is a huge source of XP and a ton of other valuable materials that I'm effectively blocked from getting for who knows how long. I've all 60 ships, all gear 6 or better pilots at level 60, the Consular ship is 2 star, I've got a good and realistic fresh 60 compliment... The challenges should be dramatically nerfed, the enemy ships look like they are 4 or 5 star with absurd pilots. My ships can not compete.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    @DarkHelmet1138 You sure have a lot to say on a subject you know nothing about and a subject that its already been proven earlier in the thread that you have no relevance with. Are you a new player? no, do you know anything about the ship challenge problems? no. Do you already have a completed team which this thread is not about? Yes.

You are spamming off-topic related things and derailing this thread, can we please keep relevant information here, I was hoping to hear from other newer players about their difficulties in how much harder the "beginning" challenges are. As this is a ship thread buried in the challenges area, its already hard enough to get people here as most are all being merged into the giant thread in general discussions.

Unless this is your way of helping and bumping, then go ahead xD

I gave a few suggestions on which ships you may want to focus on to get a faster start. Jedi counsoler isn't one of them. Cg can't make everything super easy early on or this game would be called galaxy of sims. You can't blame players like myself for being skeptical of the game needs nerfed posts. There's a new one every week or so. You are correct that I cannot test this one since I have no lvl 60 ships but I can still provide input from what I know. And 90 plus percent of the game needs nerfed posts are people whinning because they aren't good at an aspect of the game. Have you thought that the strategy of 3x3 is a bit different and you just haven't figured it out yet? No, that couldn't be. If the game is hard it must need nerfed.
  • I started a thread thinking I just needed help with my ships, but I see it’s a bigger problem if CG is looking into it lol. That was my thread I started for any suggestions you all might have for me. I’m at lvl 85 and struggling with it!

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/171479/ships-2-0-tier-iv-tarkin-capital-ship-challenge-help
  • So I’m level 76 currently and have personally discovered that even at my level challenges or borderline to completely impossible. I’m only referencing challenges referencing home one as that has been my focus. For the fleet challenge to get home one to 5 stars I’m running ghost and p2 with all gear level 9 and 10 fully modded and 7 star aside from Sabine who 6. Jedi consular lvl 9 gear modded 7 star. Biggs lvl 8 gear fully modded. And resistance pilot modded and geared to 8. That being said my Biggs is getting one shot along with most others in this event which is fine except I have ran this through every setup and the closest I have came here was 4 ships standing with 2 of the full and the other 2 in the yellow.
    This is impossible compared to running nearly the same set up and levels on the same challenge previously on another account and while it was hard it was doable with a few tries. After 2.0 hit and they made it playable I have around 70 attempts or more and no combination will work. With the credit challenge I can barely 1 star it (sometimes) where I should 2 star and get a lucky 3 star as I did previously. Now I’m not 60 and my light side ships are decent at all 4-5 star strength and their pilots are much stronger as a whole than most people at my level (based on pvp tables and always ending top 10). On my fleet battle area there are only 3 5 star fleet commands and not a single one has been added since 2.0 has dropped. As it stands now I will not be able to complete some of these challenges until more light side ships become farmable (consular just opened at 8) which I think is lvl 84 for light/dark 9 if I’m not mistaken. I generally spend money on gear credits and droids and avoid character and ship shards bc the roulette function is too costly and I’m not about to pull a bill gates just to be able to beat my challenges before Labor Day:(. I feel that ships 2.0 was a mistake bc it wasn’t actually thought out and looked at from any angle outside of lvl 85 pvp (witnessed by the huge oversight on fleet command challenges). Hope this helps with understanding and information from a mid level player.
  • I'm level 81 and my strongest ships are: slave1 4* (boba 7* G10)
    wedge's x wing 4* (wedge 7* G10)
    Tie Silencer 5* (kylo unmasked 6* G8)
    Five's ship 4* (Fives 4* G8)
    Asohka's starfighter 4* (Asohka 5* G8)
    so I tried to get tier 3 today of training droids....my ships got destroyed before I could call the 2 reinforcements ships.
    tbh the whole 3 vs 3 system is bad enough, some benefited from it a lot and some just got screwed, I can barely compete in the fleet arena any more
  • Are you suggesting they released the ship update without thoroughly vetting the resulting impacts to all areas of the game impacted by fleet gameplay? Does that really sound like something a group of highly skilled professionals would do?
  • My top 3 ships: TIE Advanced at 5stars and level 80, Geonosian Solider at 5star at level 80, and TIE Silencer at 5stars and level 80 (2 of the pilots are at 7stars, one 6 stars -- all geared to G8, one G10)... I cannot even destroy one enemy ship.

I cannot complete the daily challenges; I have to SIM the tier 2 ones; I cannot get a 5star Executrix -- thus I cannot get access to the zeta drops.

I am cutoff from making my characters compete with those who have gotten so many zetas. I just returned to the game from a 12 month break -- so I was new to zetas. I am cutoff from advancing
  • Piottavo
    12 posts Member
    My top 3 ships: TIE Advanced at 5stars and level 80, Geonosian Solider at 5star at level 80, and TIE Silencer at 5stars and level 80 (2 of the pilots are at 7stars, one 6 stars -- all geared to G8, one G10)... I cannot even destroy one enemy ship.

I cannot complete the daily challenges; I have to SIM the tier 2 ones; I cannot get a 5star Executrix -- thus I cannot get access to the zeta drops.

I am cutoff from making my characters compete with those who have gotten so many zetas. I just returned to the game from a 12 month break -- so I was new to zetas. I am cutoff from advancing

I think this summarize all the issues in a single post. Many players (like me) are stuck:

1) You can't pass the 5stars main ships challenges due to ship weakness
    2) You can't get pruple ship materials to pump your ships because you need a 5 star main ship to get it
    3) goto 1)
  • TVF wrote: »

You can't ignore it when you're a lower level player. If you're level 60, new to ships, you can't get your daily activity bonuses until you can get through the tier one challenges.
  • RebelLion
    243 posts Member
    To all of you newer players, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the 2.0 update made it WAY harder for you to get up and running. Prior to the update, once you unlocked ships, players could easily level up ships to pass the tier one daily challenges from day one. So any level 85 player telling you "that's how it works, quit complaining" did not have to face the same challenges when they started out. They absolutely did not have to level up all of their ships and toons to level 60, gear level 8, just to pass tier one challenges and maintain their daily activity rewards.
  • I have 2 accounts - 1 passed 60 just prior to the update and passed tier 1 challenges and capital ships like a breeze. The 2nd account had more prep, I was ready for ships and had way more geared / modded chars and I got wrecked. It's definitely way too hard now and needs to be tuned back down a bit.
This discussion has been closed.