Phoenix, but which ones?

Alright so I started this game a couple of days ago and quickly realized I'll need some guidance if I want to get somewhere in this game.

So because of this I started reading a couple of guides, most of which stated to focus on Phoenix toons to start things of because they can get you to the end-game rather easily, they get you Thrawn etc. etc.

However, after doing my GW for the first time just now, it hit me that Phoenix has 6 toons, while squads only allow 5 at a time. So my question is rather simple: which member of the Phoenix squad isn't actually used all that often?

On a side-note, I could always take some advice on how to improve my squad for now, while I'm farming the Phoenix toons.

https://swgoh.gg/u/livid617/collection/

Replies

• Phoenix is usually Hera as lead,Ezra ,Zeb,Kanan and the 5th is either Sabine or Chopper.
    Chopper is an easy farm and provides more sustain, while Sabine is a hard farm(for me it took 3months) but in late game she is better and is a good damage dealer. It really is up to you but i recommend Chopper first because of how much faster u can unlock and 7* that droid.
  • I guess I'll focus on all of them together then. Farming Hera first and then Ezra from Cantina nodes, Zeb from GW, Kanan from Squad arena (am farming Leia here atm though, could farm him from Guild store?), Chopper from Cantina store (am farming Qui-Gon Jinn here atm though?), and slowly get Sabine through the Hard node.

What's the consensus on how far to take them? As in both amount of stars and gear levels?
  • You'll want them at 7* for Palpatine/Thrawn/Chimera. Don't worry about Sabine too much but if you focus on getting the rest up to G9 or better and getting mods with speed as the main priority; you should be good to go for Palp and Thrawn. Their ships are pretty decent for fleet arena so they can be used in a couple of areas.

Personally I've had terrible drop rates for sabine and shes still at 5* after 3 months of farming the hard node every day (no refreshes on it though).
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Sabine is nice to have, but since the ideal early game comp (and for the Thrawn Event) is Hera/Ezra/Chopper/Kanan/Zeb, that's the group you're going to want to develop the furthest.

I like Sabine, but since she's a long farm and not necessary, I wouldn't worry about her too much once you've got her unlocked (which you'll need once you get ships). I wouldn't spend the crystals on refreshes on her node. You can afford to take the long road to getting her maxed.
  • Yeah okay not going to rush Sabine then, just get the node done without refreshes.
    As for the other question, I'd been farming Leia and Qui-Gon Jin, continue those or just drop them and go all-out for the Phoenix Squad?
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Yeah, definitely stop farming them for now and get Kanan and Chopper instead.

Once you've decided to go Phoenix, the best thing to do is dive in head first and keep going until you have them all at 7*.

As for gear, I would only take them to 8 or 9 because by then you'll find other teams will be available to you and better off. Especially once your arena shard starts getting Palpatine.
  • This is a common discussion that comes up every now and then...

The only choice to make is whether to run Sabine or Chopper. All the others are non-negotiable.

Sabine is better with offence, Chopper is better with defence.

Choice is yours.

Personally I go Sabine...as Phoenix battles already drag on somewhat, Sabine quickens them. Plus I like attackers. Plus I object to seeing Chopper fling pebbles at Sith Lords and doing them damage. Silly.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Actually, a lot of people leave out Ezra once they have all Phoenix geared highly, as Sabine's armor shred and Chopper's protection regeneration work well together. Ezra is still good and then can be used in a Jedi or Rebel based squad.
  • Sunnie1978 wrote: »
    Actually, a lot of people leave out Ezra...

Lots of people do lots of things! Doesn't make it either smart or a good idea :smiley:

• Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Sunnie1978 wrote: »
    Actually, a lot of people leave out Ezra...

Lots of people do lots of things! Doesn't make it either smart or a good idea :smiley:

But in this case, it is ;)
  • Clash2Far
    179 posts Member
    This is a common discussion that comes up every now and then...

The only choice to make is whether to run Sabine or Chopper. All the others are non-negotiable.

Choice is yours.

Personally I go Sabine...as Phoenix battles already drag on somewhat, Sabine quickens them. Plus I like attackers. Plus I object to seeing Chopper fling pebbles at Sith Lords and doing them damage. Silly.

I think we are missing a bit of context to his question to be able to make broad statements like “... all others are non negotiable”. Are we isolating Thrawn event, arena, raids? Are we looking at it in more than one timeframe or difficulty of gearing / starring??

As someone with a fully geared and zeta maxed Phoenix squad, I think there is a LOT of room to negotiate between Sabine, Ezra, and Chopper depending on those variables above. Ezra was my very last Phoenix to gear and really only became a dependent part of the lineup once I wanted to start doing significant damage with them in raids. Up until that point, Sabine AND chopper were what I used and managed to do just fine in every other area of the game.

Just my experience though. Doesn’t make what I did smart, or a good idea.
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • Thanks everyone for the input, I'll just focus on all 6 members of the Phoenix squad then and see for myself which teams are more useful at every part of the game!
  • Thanks everyone for the input, I'll just focus on all 6 members of the Phoenix squad then and see for myself which teams are more useful at every part of the game!

Very sensible :smile:
  • you'll want chopper for tier 6/7 of thrawn though (I went with Sabine first, but chopper was who put me over the edge). Maybe for palpy as well, but it's been a while since I got him, so I've forgotten what I used.

In terms of areas of game play (I have kind of stopped gearing them around gear 9 - with most needing 1 or 2 gears to jump to 10):
    LSTB - running the no Ezra has been working for me
    the kill the alter dathomir event I can auto (although it takes about 18 minutes to run it's course - switched to CLS lead, and was much, much quicker)
  • I don't get why Sabine is seen as a hard farm. She's in DS-1A for 12 energy. Why is that a difficult one?
  • And not running Ezra is kinda odd. I've seen one squad for HAAT that leaves out Zeb, but I've never seen a full Phoenix sans Ezra. He does the most damage on that squad; why would you remove him? To use in another squad? The way I see it if you are high level enough to use Ezra on a different raid team then you are probably also using Sabine with Leia or someone else as well so your Phoenix is broken anyway.
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't get why Sabine is seen as a hard farm. She's in DS-1A for 12 energy. Why is that a difficult one?

It's not difficult, just time consuming if you aren't spending crystals on refreshes. Before they bumped the attempts to 8 per hard node, it would take 6.5-7 months to get her to 7* based on the average drop rates. At 8 attempts per day, that's down to around 4, which is still a fair amount of time.

It's a long time especially when compared to Zeb who can be taken all the way to 7* in 3 weeks.
  • Oh, so you guys are saying that any toons that are purchased in the store are easier to farm than the ones in nodes. That is certainly true, but it doesn't make Sabine a "hard" farm. I would say that any toon in a 20 energy node is a "hard" farm, and her's is just 12 and is literally the first DS node that awards character shards. Of course it takes time to farm her, but saying she is a hard farm implies that you can't farm her quickly in the game experience.
  • Oh, so you guys are saying that any toons that are purchased in the store are easier to farm than the ones in nodes. That is certainly true, but it doesn't make Sabine a "hard" farm. I would say that any toon in a 20 energy node is a "hard" farm, and her's is just 12 and is literally the first DS node that awards character shards. Of course it takes time to farm her, but saying she is a hard farm implies that you can't farm her quickly in the game experience.

People consider the vets some of the hardest farms in the game - and they're in cantina. Where you're not limited in attempts per day. And they show up in shipments.

Sabine (and any single hard node toon really, like Shore/Reaper) are more time consuming, since you're limited to the number of attempts per day. Is that "hard"? Depends. A level 85 will have 3* all the levels, so simming 9D isn't any harder than simming 1A. Just more resource intensive.

I consider Reaper the hardest farm in the game - it's on a single node that doesn't open til 82, is a node that can be hard to 3* when it's first unlocked, and it's limited to 8 tries a day at 20 energy each. And I've never seen the shards in ANY store. (un)fortunately they've all but removed the Reaper from ships 2.0, so it's not nearly the necessary grind it was once. Now it's more of a bonus for grinding shore.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    I think Sabine is pretty great, but since they removed her from guild store and she's only on a hard node, that's a long farm. On the other hand, we have 8 attempts now. But it would probably still be faster to do Ezra, even though it splits resources betwen him and Hera.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    This is a common discussion that comes up every now and then...

Choice is yours.

Strongly disagree. Totally left out Ezra for 7* Thrawn. I really only put in Ezra if I need an extra buff removal, or an extra assist from Zeb to get a stun.
  • crzydroid wrote: »

Strongly disagree. Totally left out Ezra for 7* Thrawn. I really only put in Ezra if I need an extra buff removal, or an extra assist from Zeb to get a stun.

Sure, this is a viable option if you have 7* Sabine. Most people are trying for (and getting) Thrawn WAY before that happens, due to the relative ease of getting the other 5 Phoenix.

Also, the extra Zeb assists/stuns and the extra buff removals are pretty helpful to clearing Thrawn.

Can it be done without Ezra? Sure. Is it the quickest/easiest path? Nope.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Can it be done without Ezra? Sure. Is it the quickest/easiest path? Nope.

Quite.

Can one walk to the shops on their hands? YES! But...feet are a lot easier.