Ships 2.0 Update - 6/7/18 [MEGA]

Prev13456718
Carrie
122 posts Member
edited June 2018
CG_Carrie wrote: »
Hi Holotable Heroes,
Thank you for all your feedback on Ships 2.0. We have received a ton of great responses and ideas for improvements in the future. As with all parts of our game, ships battles will continue to evolve and change over time.

Keep in mind, this is only part of the picture for Ships 2.0, there are features still to come. Specifically, the PvE table should allow players to earn more resources and practice new strategies. The current single node for reinforcements is just to allow folks to start experimenting until there is a place to earn Reinforcement Materials and Ship Omegas from the Fleet Battles table.

We will remain vigilant in monitoring balance concerns and re-evaluate as needed.
We have also heard your feedback that the Level 60 Ship Challenges are too difficult. We are making these significantly easier in today’s update and the first challenge tier should be completable by players who reached this tier recently. This should also make the daily activity to complete this challenge more achievable.

Finally, I wanted to mention that the reason *I* am posting this and not Crumb is that he is headed, along with RyDiggs and Erik, down to EA Play this weekend to meet with some of our players and take them around EA Play. This is one of the very initial offerings of a VIP Program which we will share more on at a later date.

It also means his responses will be a little delayed in the next few days, which with our moderators’ help, I will do my best to assist, but may be a little bit delayed.

Thanks as always for your commitment and feedback, and we’ll see you on the holotables,
-Carrie

<<ORIGINAL POST>>
Senior Producer, Galaxy of Heroes

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Balance concerns? Seriously? It's an RNG fest. And you nerfed several hard farm ships. The thread with 1k+ posts made it pretty clear what the "concerns" are.

Just curious - is "as needed" really just code for "when we feel like it" or is it more like "when marketing tells us people ain't buying what we're trying to sell"?

I'll hang up and listen for the answer....3+ weeks from now.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Well isn't that balance if anyone can win with anys
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Balance concerns? Seriously? It's an RNG fest. And you nerfed several hard farm ships. The thread with 1k+ posts made it pretty clear what the "concerns" are.

Just curious - is "as needed" really just code for "when we feel like it" or is it more like "when marketing tells us people ain't buying what we're trying to sell"?

I'll hang up and listen for the answer....3+ weeks from now.

If it has to come down to RNG isn't it balance?
  • This seems very vague. Does this mean the Ships PvE table is coming with today's update, but will launch without places to earn Reinforcement Materials and Ship Omegas... or that a future update will contain the PvE table AND a later update will add the mats and omegas?
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    We overhauled your car
    Here's a part of your car, yeah it's terrible now, but sometime in the future you get the rest and it will be great
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • jedilord
    337 posts Member
    thank you for the slap in our face @CG_Carrie
  • Ships 2.0 = more rng, longer fights, even more rng and instead of bigger variety, its even worse now since 90% ppl run the same. Before change ppl started testing weird teams (I used to face very hard team without biggs), now its almost all the time biggs/tfp/vader + S1/SF. And if I forgot to mention..... It's waaaaay more rng now. And you cant even choose the order of reinforcements, because it will work not like you would like it to work. /clap
  • Fade
    7 posts Member
    Wow I expected better after this long of a wait for a response....
  • Voloch
    16 posts Member
    I was at a steady 23-28 place before update. So far I have not won a single 2.0 battle. Not . A . Single . One.
    I am currently at the point where I can't even destroy a single of my opponents ships.
    So, F.O. 2.0!
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    Huge numbers of players have said that ships 2.0 is an unbalanced mess that only makes worse what it was meant to correct (e.g., being overdependent on RNG).

After all of that feedback, I have to say that "we will remain vigilant in monitoring balance concerns and re-evaluate as needed" sounds an awful lot like this:

c4jt321.png
  • Carrie
    122 posts Member
    This seems very vague. Does this mean the Ships PvE table is coming with today's update, but will launch without places to earn Reinforcement Materials and Ship Omegas... or that a future update will contain the PvE table AND a later update will add the mats and omegas?
    Today's update does not have the Ship PVE table, the PVE table has as a part of the rewards the ship omegas and reinforcement materials.
  • Dabro112
    79 posts Member
    Why release this abominable 2.0 without it's counterpart? If we need both parts to paint a picture should they not have been released together?

Baffling decisions indeed coupled with a newfound commitment to silence just weeks after a commitment to do better.

Actions speak louder than words and all @cg_carrie 's words have been proven dubious based on her actions.

• Carrie
    122 posts Member
    gufu21 wrote: »
    Huge numbers of players have said that ships 2.0 is an unbalanced mess that only makes worse what it was meant to correct (e.g., being overdependent on RNG).

After all of that feedback, I have to say that "we will remain vigilant in monitoring balance concerns and re-evaluate as needed" sounds an awful lot like this:

c4jt321.png
    I don't want to undervalue player experience and feedback - that is 100% something we factor into all the decisions we make. But it isn't the complete picture. On the whole ship fighting times have reduced by upwards of 10 seconds across all segments, there are significantly more people engaging in battles, and a number of other metrics we consider healthy.
    However, I want to caveat this heavily, that doesn't mean everything is hunky dory OR that the things that we're seeing is indicative of your experience, it just means we need more time and to validate some more things. We also want to see how behavior changes after the release of the table, and once people can upgrade more ships - the likelihood that the meta will start to shift. Ultimately, we want to see a lively and interesting daily ship meta. If we don't see interesting play developing, we will re-evaluate.
    -Carrie
  • Tulkas
    253 posts Member
    Does testing actually happen? It seems like, no, it doesn't.
  • Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    "It also means his responses will be a little delayed in the next few days,"

Ahhhahahhahahahahahaha!
    There have been around 5000 negative feedback posts on shipsminus2, and you make a "we might change some bits in the future" reply in about a month later?
    How could this communication level possibly be worse or more delayed?
  • Flugsvamp
    180 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    @CG_Carrie might be prudent to point out that those battle timers can easily be skewed by two factors.

1. Old ship fights lasted 7 minutes and during payout you have cross locking which will always run full battle time duration.

2.Unless you are taking out all fights 10 (give or take) minutes before payouts which last max fight time your numbers will be incorrect.

• @CG_Carrie can you explain what the 'this', refers to in this statement.
    This is one of the very initial offerings of a VIP Program which we will share more on at a later date.
  • Carrie
    122 posts Member
    Nikolasmor wrote: »
    @CG_Carrie can you explain what the 'this', refers to in this statement.
    This is one of the very initial offerings of a VIP Program which we will share more on at a later date.
    The attendance of EA Play and ensuing events and discussions these players are involved in. We’d like to open up more opportunities like this in the future.
  • CG_Carrie wrote: »
    Hi Holotable Heroes,
    Thank you for all your feedback on Ships 2.0. We are making these significantly easier in today’s update and the first challenge tier should be completable

What does completable mean?
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    Level 6” ship Challenges too difficult? I didn’t know if that was true, didn’t even notice it before, probably too easy for some of us.
  • HoodedCobra
    26 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I feel that ships have greatly improved, but everyone is complaining because their Tie advanced, biggs, Chimaera is so RNG...well develop something else. Everyone just tried to upgrade the units they already had maxed gear wise, try some of the other ships you had not focused on and you will find variety.

PS: Majority of my battles last 1 to 2 minutes, just gotta find the right team.
  • CG_Carrie wrote: »

c4jt321.png
    I don't want to undervalue player experience and feedback - that is 100% something we factor into all the decisions we make. But it isn't the complete picture. On the whole ship fighting times have reduced by upwards of 10 seconds across all segments, there are significantly more people engaging in battles, and a number of other metrics we consider healthy.
    However, I want to caveat this heavily, that doesn't mean everything is hunky dory OR that the things that we're seeing is indicative of your experience, it just means we need more time and to validate some more things. We also want to see how behavior changes after the release of the table, and once people can upgrade more ships - the likelihood that the meta will start to shift. Ultimately, we want to see a lively and interesting daily ship meta. If we don't see interesting play developing, we will re-evaluate.
    -Carrie

Do your metrics account for all the people like myself who "beat" our battles in 2 minutes, and then let it idle for 4 minutes before finishing the battle in the last 20 seconds to minimize our chances of being sniped?

My battles, for example, definitely take longer (which I personally don't mind) but "timer-wise" they probably clock in as being shorter.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    @CG_Carrie - since you chose to respond to everyone except me to this point, which of your stated objectives will the development team be addressing first:

1) Shorter battles (which is not the case)
    2) Less RNG (more strategy - which is also not the case)
    3) Diversity (of which there is less, now)
    or
    4) The nerfing of several hard-farm ships.

Okay, technically point 4 was never an objective actually made public by the team - but it's another one of the primary concerns of long time paying players.

Thank you for your time.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    There was a random link with a suspicious-looking address embedded in the patch notes...
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    There was a random link with a suspicious-looking address embedded in the patch notes...

I clicked it.
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Tulkas wrote: »
    Does testing actually happen? It seems like, no, it doesn't.

The devs do have access to tons and tons of user play data that you don't see. I have loved ships ever since it was released and have all the ships at max level with several otherwise unused pilots at G12. I finish in the top 4 daily, and didn't mind the update. However, I have the perspective to realize this is not the usual experience. Maybe listen to a little of what Carrie said.
    it isn't the complete picture. On the whole ship fighting times have reduced by upwards of 10 seconds across all segments, there are significantly more people engaging in battles, and a number of other metrics we consider healthy.

• TVF
    36527 posts Member
    People think their experience is the only experience. They also think the loudest experiences are the only experiences.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • QJinX
    219 posts Member

c4jt321.png
    -Carrie

If you can get this level of data, why have a post about Sith Raid asking for feedback? Your data points must show the horrendous participation rates, and general hatred of this guild shattering raid.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    @CG_Carrie - since you chose to respond to everyone except me to this point, which of your stated objectives will the development team be addressing first:

1) Shorter battles (which is not the case)

the difference in damage from ships compared to survivability when you gear/omega them up will be much bigger
    so i guess maxed out fleets will have a way shorter battle time compared to what they have now
    i guess most of the people that complain about length of ship fights dont have the omegas right now to max their fleet
    and this will change with the ship table

and people that complain about not winning a single fight after the update are clearly doing a whole lot wrong
    if your fleet is so weak that you cant win a fight and were like top20 in arena before you clearly shouldnt be near top20 in the first place
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    On the whole ship fighting times have reduced by upwards of 10 seconds across all segments, there are significantly more people engaging in battles, and a number of other metrics we consider healthy.
    nuff said
    statistics > complaints - leef, 2016
    Save water, drink champagne!