Help Me Understand Meta

Dxtrinc
210 posts Member
You can skip to the bottom of the post if you want the actual question. The rest is just me rambling lol

I am currently working towards CLS. I need to get high enough level to join a good guild and start collecting GK and Han shards cause I love Rebels (well I really love Jedi but they are basically useless at this time). Also I am working towards Rex. Cause its rex.

So meta is growing right now and more different teams seem to be viable but really empire/sith is meta.

My empire team right now is as follows.

Palp - 7*/Gear8
Vader - 7*/Gear9
Tarkin - 7*/Gear8
TFP - 7*/Gear8
Stormtrooper - 7*/Gear8

If i start really digging into gearing I am going to end up with the same type of teams that most people are going for. In fact they'll have thrawn cause they were smart enough to get pheonix and arent playing catch up.

I am currently running

Wiggs/Ezra/Old Ben/R2 and they seem to rock. Why wouldn't I just keep gearing them up and get them kicking butt at like g11 or 12. I would still get very high in the average shard. I won't be top 100 but still get a decent pay out.

Just seems weird to me. And once I get my empire team geared JTR and nightmare are gonna crush me anyways.

If i am working towards the same team that the average player is working towards (palp/vader) how am I supposed to get ahead? We are doing the same thing lol

Replies

• Options
    I think we all, as individuals, decide how far we want to go. Which correlates to how much we want to spend, either in regards time or money.

I don't chase meta. I'm f2p. The way I see it, for f2p players, chasing meta is next to impossible- once you actually get there, the meta will have changed.

I prefer setting myself a couple of targets and working towards them. See how well I do with the limited resources I'm prepared to invest. I won't "win". So I'll focus on having fun.

• Options
    Dxtrinc wrote: »
    You can skip to the bottom of the post if you want the actual question. The rest is just me rambling lol

I am currently working towards CLS. I need to get high enough level to join a good guild and start collecting GK and Han shards cause I love Rebels (well I really love Jedi but they are basically useless at this time). Also I am working towards Rex. Cause its rex.

So meta is growing right now and more different teams seem to be viable but really empire/sith is meta.

My empire team right now is as follows.

Palp - 7*/Gear8
    Vader - 7*/Gear9
    Tarkin - 7*/Gear8
    TFP - 7*/Gear8
    Stormtrooper - 7*/Gear8

If i start really digging into gearing I am going to end up with the same type of teams that most people are going for. In fact they'll have thrawn cause they were smart enough to get pheonix and arent playing catch up.

I am currently running

Wiggs/Ezra/Old Ben/R2 and they seem to rock. Why wouldn't I just keep gearing them up and get them kicking butt at like g11 or 12. I would still get very high in the average shard. I won't be top 100 but still get a decent pay out.

Just seems weird to me. And once I get my empire team geared JTR and nightmare are gonna crush me anyways.

If i am working towards the same team that the average player is working towards (palp/vader) how am I supposed to get ahead? We are doing the same thing lol

to all who are just beginning to play, you need to know one rule ...

you need key characters

thrawn, gk, dn, jtr, cls etc.

based on this, you must build your own development.
  • Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Get a team that gets you to top 500ish. If its meta then meta, but if not, then no. For example, the Rebels still do fine with Ackbar, wiggs, r2, so if theyre in your cupboard, enjoy playing them. You dont have to change to palp vader.

Btw Meta is stronger than jtr. I purposrly attack jtr.
    Btw2 nightmare IS the meta. So the sentence where you get the meta but afraid of being crushed by the nightmare, doesnt make sense.
  • Dxtrinc
    210 posts Member
    Options
    Ya. There's only one rule. Basically farm everything besides obviously bad characters because you need a team from every faction in order to get the characters and mods.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Metas come and go. Mods don't. #FarmModsNotMetas
  • Options
    If you run CLS I will absolutely decimate your Rebel Scum
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    Options
    You just research good all-around characters that get you legendary characters. I lucked out getting a 7* Palpatine with the random rebels I had farmed, however; now I don't have the 5 that will get me CLS. My fault from when I started. Oh well.

Or you might end up lucky and have the next "meta" out of sheer chance, or by farming what YOU want to collect.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Options
    I think Coastal and DistavioNi have got it right, f2p depending on where you joined in arena, I started at 2000+, can mean chasing the meta is rough but you do need the key characters. Where I’m sitting in arena now is rough as I’m way undergeared but I’ve got a meta team and some good mods that helped me climb. By the time I even look at going sion or traya the meta will change.

TLDR
    Get the key characters cls, jtr, raid toons and focus on what you want. Also everyone says a Jedi rework is coming, I’m not saying it is, but if jedi is what you love might be a good idea to farm.
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    Options
    You already have the basis of a great squad. Just get Sion and DN they are f2p now and viable at low stars.

Then when you get Thrawn replace tarkin
  • Options
    F2P is fine, I have zEP, Vader, Thrawn, Tarkin, Shoretrooper and get top 20. Even got 8th once.

DN at 5 star, Sion 4 star by tomorrow.

Can get decent team to get good ranks no problem. Stopped for a while to get CLS team ready, back to improving arena squad whilst doing FO in background.

As long as you understand you can't get all chars by next week it's fine and anyone can do well.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the posters who recommend getting a set of characters, rather than a specific meta team. If you look at the meta report on swgoh.gg, the top 10 characters are largely the same, no matter how you look at the data. No matter what the meta is, the best teams will always require hero's journey, legendary, and raid characters with a couple hard node farms. So focus on working toward those type of characters and you'll be ready for anything!
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Dxtrinc wrote: »
    Yeah, basically.

To use a really simple example, if you had a paper, rock, scissors Arena in this game, you would pick paper and scan your opponents looking for rocks. So you're right. If you're working towards the same team as everyone else, it's just a foot race to see who can get there first, and that person will get the lion's share of rewards because they got there and were able to turn that couple days head start into an advantage that made their team better faster.

What you should theoretically be doing is working on the team that will beat the current meta team. Except that the meta in squad building games, especially ones that aren't free to play the way, say, Final Fantasy Tactics is free to play--you buy the game and then play it as many times as you want--isn't as robust as, say, a fighting game. So you can't predict what's coming down the pipeline.

That's why I always suggest that unless you're willing to spend a whole bunch of money on getting the newest hottest every time it comes out, that you should just farm whatever you like. Get the characters you want, gear them, play with them, do as well as you can and go as far as you can with them. Eventually you'll plateau around 200-100 in Arena, but you'll always be good in other areas of the game because you've got a deep, deep bench of characters that aren't meta, and new content is usually created with the intent of making non-meta characters useful.

I guess what I'm saying is that the real metagame is opting out of the Arena metagame.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    That's why I always suggest that unless you're willing to spend a whole bunch of money on getting the newest hottest every time it comes out, that you should just farm whatever you like. Get the characters you want, gear them, play with them, do as well as you can and go as far as you can with them. Eventually you'll plateau around 200-100 in Arena, but you'll always be good in other areas of the game because you've got a deep, deep bench of characters that aren't meta, and new content is usually created with the intent of making non-meta characters useful.

Very well put. I agree.

Also - if you have a wide range of squads at a decent level, they will come into their own with one challenge or another. A challenge will pop up and you will already be prepared more or less...no need to panic farm.

This is not to say however that one should be working on a range of squads at the same time. Quite the opposite. Focus on one - grind, grind, grind. Then move onto another...the process takes months rather than weeks. (Ok, I don't always practise what I preach...I normally work on a couple of squads if I'm not directly working towards something specific.

• Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy to end up in the sub-200 area in arena. Gets me two shop purchases a day, and plenty of resources for other areas. The resources required to stay on top of the meta to get any higher isn't worth it to me. I like having a really varied collection of strong characters.
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    I'm perfectly happy to end up in the sub-200 area in arena. Gets me two shop purchases a day, and plenty of resources for other areas. The resources required to stay on top of the meta to get any higher isn't worth it to me.

I agree 100%.

• Dxtrinc
    210 posts Member
    Options
    So what's your arena squad

@Vendi1983
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    Options
    Just swapped over to full First Order but I used to have Tarkin in until I had the rest of FO up to the level of my 2 Kylos. Should Zeta KRU's lead in the next week.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

ok, go your droids with +150 speed mods vs standard zEp with +80 speed mods...

if you win at least one match, I take off my hat
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    DistavioNi wrote: »

......That's kind of the point they're making. Droids were meta, now they're not. But you can take off those +150 speed mods and put them onto the characters that make up the next meta.

What characters comprise the meta will come and go. But your mods won't--once you have them, you have them forever. Farm up your mods, then whatever the meta is you can worry about that later.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    DistavioNi wrote: »

......That's kind of the point they're making. Droids were meta, now they're not. But you can take off those +150 speed mods and put them onto the characters that make up the next meta.

What characters comprise the meta will come and go. But your mods won't--once you have them, you have them forever. Farm up your mods, then whatever the meta is you can worry about that later.

Someone understood it lol!

:smiley: