Solo: A Star Wars Story impressions

Prev1
I don't get why the film critics don't like this movie (70% on Rotten Tomatoes)......and I was shocked by the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes being at 61% last time i checked. I loved this movie! loved the character development and it felt very much like star wars to me. Yeah it wasn't as action packed as many of the new era star wars movies are, but it felt more like the original trilogy movies to me. It had great action scenes when they needed to be shown! The Train heist is my favorite sequence in the film period! The war scenes with Han on Mimban were more war film-esque than the scenes from Rogue One which is shot in the style of a war film. I'm not saying Rogue One is bad at all (I rank that movie higher than this one), I'm just saying as far as the gritty nature of war is portrayed in films, Solo pulled it off well in showing basically trench warfare in a dark muddy world where guys are getting blasted left and right. Chewbaccca's intro was great! The music was great also! when Enfys Nest shows up for the first time, the music immediately evoked a sense of dread and suspense that heightened the tension in the train heist action sequence. I loved a lot about this movie! Makes me want to build an all purely scoundrel team in swgoh. =)

And....
Maul is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved that they showed him in this movie! If anyone has seen Star Wars the Clone Wars TV show you know why and how he got to where we see him in Solo. You owe it to yourself to at least check out the story arcs in Clone Wars where Maul's story is shown, and especially the Mandalore arc. The inclusion of Maul in this movie was a major suprise to me and made me so happy that the movies are showing some love to material developed in Star Wars the Clone wars (similar to how they had Saw Gerrera in rogue One also)

I'd rank this movie as #4 in my list of favorite star wars movies. My top 5 i would say right now is:

1.Empire Strikes Back
2.Rogue One
3.A New Hope
4. Solo
5. Return of the Jedi

what did everyone else think? How would you rank it among the other star wars movies?

Replies

• Wil
    140 posts Member
    I would have to put it towards the bottom of my list. Still above Attack of the Clones, but that might be about it at this point. It's worth pointing out that I love every single one because MOAR STAR WARZ, so that isn't a terrible thing.

Lando was a little too hyped going in I guess - I just thought his character was ok. Loved the gambling scenes though. I also like that Han helped fund the rebellion in a roundabout way. Didn't carry the weight of the other films, but it wasn't supposed to. Can't imagine them making it much better than they did.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Movie was rock solid. I really enjoyed it and it had this smuggler live feeling. Just the final scene Qi'ra should have been more cold looking as she had her own plans from the beginning.

Not much to improve inside this movie - it fitted the character and story.

Anyways I hope the next Star Wars movie will be more "dark" similar to Empire Strikes Back or Rogue One. Mickey can get the cash, but the movie doesn't need to be a Marvel. It should be more solid characters, without inadequate jokes. With a big story - with up and downs. With heroes, which maybe aren't in the end. Or evil characters which maybe are also not in another perspective. With room for phantasy. With a cost for a win...
  • XKurareX wrote: »
    Movie was rock solid. I really enjoyed it and it had this smuggler live feeling. Just the final scene Qi'ra should have been more cold looking as she had her own plans from the beginning.

Not much to improve inside this movie - it fitted the character and story.

Anyways I hope the next Star Wars movie will be more "dark" similar to Empire Strikes Back or Rogue One. Mickey can get the cash, but the movie doesn't need to be a Marvel. It should be more solid characters, without inadequate jokes. With a big story - with up and downs. With heroes, which maybe aren't in the end. Or evil characters which maybe are also not in another perspective. With room for phantasy. With a cost for a win...

I'm hopeful we could see Ahoska Tano debut and play a role in the initial stages of the rebellion, maybe helping to fight against the criminal underworld. I want to see Han form the relationship with Jabba the Hutt. Han is much more jaded in A New Hope so I want to see his character get to that point where he goes from the hero (like he is in Solo) to where he is much more cynical and seasoned but still has good tendancies in him that lead to his eventual rise in heroism that we see over the course of A New Hope thru Return of the Jedi.
  • were there any saber battles since maul was in it?
  • nope
  • In my opinion it was an ok movie.But that's just it just an ok movie we don't see anything new about han( they story of how he got his name solo doesn' t even matter like that was ridiculous as deadpool would say 'that's just lazy writing).There are much more interesting and mysterious characters in star wars than han.We all want a kenobi movie a boba fett even snoke.If they want a sequel which is probable they have to put maul as the main antagonist and have him actually trying to kill han.That would be dope.The problems that the solo movie had was that there was no moment where you thought that something might happen that someone might die (like i thought qi'ra was definitely going to die )cause you know both chewie and han are alive in the original trilogy movies.So yeah it was a good movie but they could have done much better
  • Paul12245 wrote: »
    we don't see anything new about han

I would disagree here on this. Here is what we learned in this movie. You wouldn't have know any of this by simply watching the original trilogy.
    -We find out Han grew up in poverty on Corellia and was forced into a life of crime by Lady Proxima
    -We find out Han joined the Imperials to become a pilot and fought as an infantry soldier
    -We find out he wasn't the jaded and cold killer he is in episode 4. He started his journey to becoming that after this movie. He is shown to be hopeful and passionate about things in Solo and when he kills Becket, he is grieved to know he had to shoot his friend because he couldn't trust him. He learned the hard way to not trust anyone.
    -We find out he had a love interest in Qi'ra and that his whole motivation on becoming a pilot was so that they could escape Corellia together and live a free life. He became a good pilot and wanted to return to rescue her from the life they both almost had escaped. The whole movie, he is trying to be reunited with Qi'ra because he loves her and doesn't want her to be involved with crimelords anymore, so he works hard at rescuing her from that lifestyle and giving her the option to be free. Unfortunately she chooses to become a crimelord instead of be with him at the end and that breaks Han's heart and explains why he is so hesitant to be in a relationship with Leia later on in the original trilogy.
    -We see how Han actually helped theearly stages of the rebellion when he gave the hyperfuel to Enfys Nest, showing he was a good guy initially. We don't see him become what he initially was in the movies until late in episode 4 and then in episode 5 and 6. We see a character who started out good but grew to be selfish by his lifestyle he lived. He starts his journey back to being what we see him in Solo but we see how he had started on the path to being how he was in episode 4 initially through his experiences in Solo.
  • I was disappointed with the movie because it was just so mediocre. A Star Wars movie by Ron Howard about Han Solo? This movie should have rocked.

The cast was great.

The dialogue was meh.

The plot was predictable.

Most of the humor came from Lando's droid, who I thought was great. She was by far the most compelling, entertaining part of the movie. I'm fine with that, but Han is supposed to be funny too, and he really wasn't.

Concerning GoH, why does Qi'Ra get a Light Side tag if she was in it for herself the whole time? She becomes a crime lord and likes chatting with Darth Maul. Ahem.

Again concerning GoH, I like Enfys Nest as a character, but her kit is ridiculously overpowered for the minor role that she played.

Disappointed with both the movie and the effect it has had on this game. Though I'm not gonna lie, if I wasn't F2P I would totally pay to star and gear up Enfys, she is really, really strong.
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    I've heard a lot of Qi'Ra was "in it for herself" and whatnot, but that wasn't my takeaway. I thought she was just genuinely convinced that she was in too deep with the crime syndicates and their boss to get out. I got the impression that she would prefer to be with Han, but had resigned to her fate knowing that she and Han would both suffer otherwise.
  • Fürkész
    211 posts Member
    It was 10 times better than the EPVIII.
    But from Disney for me still the R1 is the best. Intresting, when I came out from the cinema after the Last Jedi I thought: It was very good. After that the more I thought about that movie this feeling decreased a lot. And it is the exact opposite in case of the Solo movie. The funny moments were not too forced. And Chewie. Chewie was always my favourite part in the OT and here we get a lot of walking carpet.

• Wycross
    53 posts Member
    Wil wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of Qi'Ra was "in it for herself" and whatnot, but that wasn't my takeaway. I thought she was just genuinely convinced that she was in too deep with the crime syndicates and their boss to get out. I got the impression that she would prefer to be with Han, but had resigned to her fate knowing that she and Han would both suffer otherwise.

This was my perspective as well. She wasn’t doing what she did for self gain, but rather to insulate Han from it all.
    Maul is definitely the type to hold a grudge. If Qi’ra learned anything from Maul, I’d think that would be one of the first lessons.
    [\spoiler]
  • @SwiftMooky I agree with ye on the point that SWGoH released Enfys Nest as an overpowered character we didn't see it right in the movie.

The Qi'ra we had in the gameplay is the Qi'ra
    who helps Han Solo, Chewie, Tobias Beckett to gain the coaxium. Stealing the coaxium was their contract and Qi'ra was the best one (Dryden Vos' thoughts) in his team to serve and to ensure that they would came to idea to steal coaxium (that's why Light side tag). The Qi'ra we saw she was shooting Dryden Vos and contact Maul was the one we're looking for and hasn't been released in game yet (missing Dark Side tag for a 2nd Qi'ra).
  • Aside from the cinematography, which was like a muddy rain puddle, I actually liked it a lot. I just wish it was shot and lit better. I actually thought the theater's projector had something wrong with it and was projecting too dim an image.

I liked how it didn't feel the need to shove in a million references to the OT to create a cheap emotional response. It felt like a pretty solid little self-contained story set in the Star Wars universe, which was really all I was hoping for.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    Its preliminary review but I liked the film. It captures the sense of the OT by just being fun. Might rank higher than ROTJ for me.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • Aside from the cinematography, which was like a muddy rain puddle, I actually liked it a lot. I just wish it was shot and lit better. I actually thought the theater's projector had something wrong with it and was projecting too dim an image.

I liked how it didn't feel the need to shove in a million references to the OT to create a cheap emotional response. It felt like a pretty solid little self-contained story set in the Star Wars universe, which was really all I was hoping for.

The sad thing is that most movie critics on youtube are saying that the movie is filled with nothing but references to the OT, like there was nothing new we learned about Han at all and that he was just mirroring Han from the OT and explaining his different phrases he says in the OT. I don't think the critics did a very good job of reviewing this movie. In my opinion, i think they are having a hard time swallowing their pride because they all thought the movie was going to be bad because of the production problems they heard about and reported on. They were just trying to nitpick things a bit to much which is unfair to a great movie that doesn't deserve the hate or disinterest its getting.

I really hope they make a sequel to this movie! it needs one and I'd be the first in line to see it because I love the outlaw universe they set up within star wars. So much room for great stories to be told amidst a backdrop of the Empire ruining everyone's lives and a rebellion struggling to form and fight back. I hope Disney doesn't give up on making sequels because of low box office numbers. really not fair at all for such a good movie. Seriously, its just about as good as rogue One and this is the treatment it gets?
  • this article pretty much sums up how i feel about the lack of interest this film is receiving.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/06/02/the-critics-must-be-crazy-solo-is-the-best-star-wars-prequel-yet/#bbf2579319d7
  • Fürkész
    211 posts Member
    obikenobi1 wrote: »
    this article pretty much sums up how i feel about the lack of interest this film is receiving.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/06/02/the-critics-must-be-crazy-solo-is-the-best-star-wars-prequel-yet/#bbf2579319d7

Good article, and as I see very true. Every single friend of mine enjoyed it.
  • cuyler41
    107 posts Member
    Chewy ripped somebodys arm off! That alone was worth the price of admission. I also enjoyed the rest lol.
  • I have not heard from one single person who went to see Solo and did not really like it. Not a single one.
  • My main grief with these Disney star wars movies is what we get compared to what we could have gotten. No it's not a bad movie but with what they had to work with and the world at their disposal it's upsetting to get only OK or atrocities like TLJ
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    I found Solo entertaining, but rather forgettable. My kids liked it. I'm okay with these standalone stories not having the same sense of epic scale as the main movies, but I was expecting a little bit more. Han just really didn't seem like Han, whereas Lando was spot on. I did like that it focused on other aspects of the SW universe that the movies have only skirted.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Degs29
    361 posts Member
    Good movie. Not great enough to overcome the backlash over the trash fire that was The Last Jedi. Unfortunate that Solo has to pay for TLJ's crimes.
  • It was obviously reshot by the footage misalignments and several scenes made no sense.

Han lost a ship to Lando in the first card game they play, but there’s no mention of payment to Lando or anything after Han looses.

There is no mention why the dice are so important.

Vos was supposed to be a bipedal lion but Ron Howard recast Vision with lipstick running up and down his face. Vos is able to kill a regional Imperial Governor on an Imperial fuel depot planet without consequences? Huh? Isn’t this pretty close to the time the Empire was in full control of the Core and mid rim planets? Corellia is already subdued and an Imperial Shipyard.

Vos had a mini duel ended red light saber cheese knife. Yeah no foreshadowing there.

“It is a Lawless time.”

Pretty sure it’s pretty lawful, by Empire standards, they just turn a blind eye to the small time smuggling dems and child forced labor cartels.

Vampire Lady Proxima. You live in a water hole with paper mache windows. Who wrote this garbage.

An Impirial Star Destroyer enters the Kessel Run because why? Kessel is a spice mine. It’s always been controled by the Pyke guild. The Imperials has no reason to be there or attack the Falcon. No one knew what Ship it was or who was on board. Plus it’s an outer rim system that the Imperials would not have messed with.

L3-37. Enough said.

L3-37 stealing lines 100% from a video game franchise. Seriously word for word and even the same inflection of tone.

Han did not wear Lando’s clothes which would have justified the end of Empire.

Seriously, you had the Jabba’s Palave skiff guard outfit on board the Falcon for 25 years prior to Jedi. And it fit Woody, who is 5’10” to Billy Dee at 6’ even.

• Wil
    140 posts Member
    @ChickenFett139 did you really hate it that much watching through, or did you wait until you got home so the internet could tell you about all these things? If you're so into Star Wars that you sat in the theater stunned that they would dare put 5'10" Harrelson in an outfit worn by a 6'0" Billy Dee, you were bound to be disappointed from the start.
  • @ChickenFett139 your kinda very nitpicky. are you this harsh on the original trilogy movies? those had some pretty glaring faults but we love it because it has great characters and it has a good story. all of the star wars fans I have met in person that went to see this movie loved it and the reason they gave was because it felt like star wars! and I agree becasue it is the closest thing we have to the original trilogy out of all the newer movies. It had a good story, had fun characters, a bit of romance and a bit of action. The action didn't overshadow the characters and they were fun to watch and engaging. The whole Han and Qi'ra thing was good to watch and they had more chemistry than Han and Leia had in the original trilogy in my opinion.
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    You’re right. The lowest grossing Star Wars of all time based on actual sales at the box office both domestic and foreign, not “actual real people”. What was I thinking. Don’t need the internet to know a lemon. Aside from Rogue One this whole new JJ thing has been a horrible disappointment. The old EU books were better than what’s being put out.

The only reason the story was half way decent is Lawrence Kasden and his son wrote it. But as a whole, the main part of the story was here’s young Han on Corellia then 3 years later BAM! this all happened in a two day period. I wish these spin off would use John Williams to score. That’s what makes up half of the Star Wars movie is the music. At least he wrote the arching theme.

I hope the new Rion Johnson trilogy will be better as well as the Boba Fett movie and the Jon Favreau TV series.
    Post edited by ChickenFett139 on
  • You’re right. The lowest grossing Star Wars of all time based on actual sales at the box officer domestic and foreign, not “actual real people”. What was I thinking. Don’t need the internet to know a lemon. Aside from Rogue One this whole new JJ thing has been a horrible disappointment. The old EU books were better than what’s being put out.

The only reason the story was half way decent is Lawrence Kasden and his son wrote it. But as a whole, the main part of the story was here’s young Han on Corellia then 3 years later BAM! this all happened in a two day period. I wish these spin off would use John Williams to score. That’s what makes up half of the Star Wars movie is the music. At least he wrote the arching theme.

I hope the new Rion Johnson trilogy will be better as well as the Boba Fett movie and the Jon Favreau TV series.

The Rian Johnson trilogy will suck write this down. The tv series has good potential
  • I thought it was pretty good. Quite cheesy at parts. I don't know why when they showed
    Maul
    that they had to have him start up his lightsaber, seemed unnecessary. But overall I thought it was pretty good.

Seems like
    Maul
    will have to return in a future star wars story film. Maybe the Obi Wan movie?

Also I'd love to see a Rebels movie with Ezra, Hera, Kanaan, Zeb, Chopper, Sabine...etc.
  • Also I'd love to see a Rebels movie with Ezra, Hera, Kanaan, Zeb, Chopper, Sabine...etc.
    I'd even just be happy to see them run through the background of a scene as an easter egg.
  • Also I'd love to see a Rebels movie with Ezra, Hera, Kanaan, Zeb, Chopper, Sabine...etc.
    I'd even just be happy to see them run through the background of a scene as an easter egg.
    Did you see the easter eggs of them in Rogue One? Chopper is in a scene, and Hera is also called for on the intercom on a scene. You can also see the Ghost ship in a scene.