Best Dark Side Squad

I'm currently farming my Phoenix Squad on Light but I'm currently torn about what dark side squad would be good (Arena & GW as well as being usable on most Events). The teams that sounds good to me are:

- First Order
- Sith
- Empire
- Nightsister

I'm a F2P player, that means I have to consider the length of acquisition for each notable character on each squad.

Replies

• Best Arena: Nighmare Team
    Best All round: NS (needs Zetas)
    Most Fun: Troopers
    Coolest Team: FO (but not really good...)
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    banjo1071 wrote: »
    Best Arena: Nighmare Team

My FO team is currently 10th in arena..... When you start to max out their kit they become really powerful.... They get a bad rep because people get them to G8 - G9 for Bb8 and never take them further..... I run ZKRU, Kylo, Foo, Fox, Phasma with all at G10 except Kru who is 11 and solo the rancor in 12 minutes on auto.....
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Yeah, FO is anything but "not really good". They have a lot of uses and can be really good in arena, at least on offence. They do require at least KRU's leadership zeta.

I have 3 accounts and I run NS on one, FO on another, and Sith on the 3rd. Of all those, my NS squad is the best, but my FO team is quickly catching up.

But I still wouldn't recommend either because it sounds like you're still a fairly early game player. NS don't have ships or lead to any legendary characters. You're getting a good raid team with some arena viability, which is good, but that's it. FO does lead to a legendary character (BB8), but Resistance is pretty limited in their use across multiple game modes and are really only good with Finn's zeta. So unless you're already farming zetas, they can wait too.

Empire is probably the best faction to go for simply because you'll get 2 of them with the team you're currently farming, you get a head start on another 2 that you get for free (Tarkin/TFP), and another from achievements you get just from playing the game (Vader). You can build them quickly and without competing for resources with other farms. They also have a lot of good ships and get you one of the best legendary toons in the game (R2D2).
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member

What this guy said.

FO fanboys can say what they want, but the fact is, in arena, FO is gonna fall. As is troopers. Doesn't mean they're not good for their uses and fun to play. But if you're looking at arena and overall value to have geared, @banjo1071 is giving you the best advice.
  • Dralkyr
    457 posts Member
    Though the current zPalp lead team is killer, too. EP, Vader, Sion +2. Requires, again, zetas.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Ploosh wrote: »

What this guy said.

FO fanboys can say what they want, but the fact is, in arena, FO is gonna fall. As is troopers. Doesn't mean they're not good for their uses and fun to play. But if you're looking at arena and overall value to have geared, @banjo1071 is giving you the best advice.

I finished my last battle of the day at 10th with FO..... I'm now sitting 15th with payout in about 20 minutes...
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Early on, I suggest Empire. You can work in a lot of pilots, which streamlines farming. A few key members fall in your lap.

Start out with Vader, TIE Fighter Pilot, Grand Moff Tarkin, and Boba Fett, +1. Boba's not Empire, but he compliments the team. As you unlock Palpatine and Thrawn, rotate them in, and Fett out.
    Still not a he.
  • b4vwbvz5f0yp.png

Well, the Metareport says: If you want to go low, you got to stick to FO.
    They are fun, they are great in midgame, but will get you nowhere in the endgame (unfortunatly...)
  • Maybe the "Prepared"-Toons will rock eventually, but they are made out of unobtainium right now. Bountyhunter could be great, but they keytoon Bossk is behind the paywall right now..
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    My FO team is currently 10th in arena.....

Let's not forget that our Arena shards are all different. You'd not get anywhere near 10th in my shard with FO. Not gonna happen.

YKMisfit wrote: »
    Yeah, FO is anything but "not really good". They have a lot of uses and can be really good in arena, at least on offence. They do require at least KRU's leadership zeta.

I have 3 accounts and I run NS on one, FO on another, and Sith on the 3rd. Of all those, my NS squad is the best, but my FO team is quickly catching up.

But I still wouldn't recommend either because it sounds like you're still a fairly early game player. NS don't have ships or lead to any legendary characters. You're getting a good raid team with some arena viability, which is good, but that's it. FO does lead to a legendary character (BB8), but Resistance is pretty limited in their use across multiple game modes and are really only good with Finn's zeta. So unless you're already farming zetas, they can wait too.

Empire is probably the best faction to go for simply because you'll get 2 of them with the team you're currently farming, you get a head start on another 2 that you get for free (Tarkin/TFP), and another from achievements you get just from playing the game (Vader). You can build them quickly and without competing for resources with other farms. They also have a lot of good ships and get you one of the best legendary toons in the game (R2D2).

Excellent post.

• BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    My FO team is currently 10th in arena.....

Let's not forget that our Arena shards are all different. You'd not get anywhere near 10th in my shard with FO. Not gonna happen.

YKMisfit wrote: »

Excellent post.

I'm not saying FO is the be all and end all...... But let's not forget that we are in the new player section.... Suggesting op slap together a squad of zpalp, Zion, nihilus, thrawn and Vader isn't exactly helpful....
  • The arena shards for new players are normally dictated by two things, whales and recent legendary toon events.

An FO squad may be decent, but it won't help you unlock any of the easier legendaries (putting Thrawn in the difficult bracket). Getting Rey requires the vets and they're a top level farm. In the meantime others in the shard with empire and rebel squads will only get stronger and get to those legendaries faster.

To answer the OPs question, what dark side team would be the best to farm as the most useful for a F2P player... it's definitely empire. You're farming phoenix which is great, so you'll be able to get both palp and Thrawn in time. The empire squad will allow you to get R2 so once phoenix is done you can farm the other rebels for CLS. In the meantime the empire squad will hold you in a decent arena spot for crystals. You can move in whatever direction you want then, NS, FO etc
  • Tarkin, Vader, TFP, and Boba all have important ships - you need Tarkin and DS ships to get to the zeta mat challenge. They should be part of your DS farm. You'll get Palp and Thrawn with Phoenix to round out an Empire squad, but until then, add FOTP and KRU into your farming. Two more DS ships, powerful attackers, and the start of your FO farming for BB-8. FOTP takes a while, so it's worth starting now.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I agree with Empire as the current best second-stage team to farm. My arena team went from Phoenix to Empire and now to "nightmare" Sith.

Since you're already working on Phoenix, it's a good idea to follow the road to CLS. It goes Phoenix to Emperor & Thrawn, Empire to R2D2, A New Hope rebels to Commander Luke Skywalker. This will allow you to use solid teams while getting legendary characters and the first hero's journey character.
    Suggesting op slap together a squad of zpalp, Zion, nihilus, thrawn and Vader isn't exactly helpful....

I wouldn't and I didn't.

• BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Suggesting op slap together a squad of zpalp, Zion, nihilus, thrawn and Vader isn't exactly helpful....

I wouldn't and I didn't.

That was directed at banjo, and the whole arena thing.....

TBH, I would suggest that new players ignore arena for the most part.... It's best to ignore it, and do the best with the junk they give you while farming Phoenix.... Short term pain for long term gain...
    TBH, I would suggest that new players ignore arena for the most part.... It's best to ignore it, and do the best with the junk they give you while farming Phoenix.... Short term pain for long term gain...

Controversial idea mate.

I ignored the Arena for a long time. I'm now way behind and never will catch up.

• YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    That crystal income from arena is what gets you long term gain.
    Still not a he.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

That's where "for the most part" comes into play..... What I mean by that is don't go 7* starter toons so they are "arena quality"..... Do enough to get some.crystals, yes..... But nobody.needs a 7* CWC out of the gate......

I wouldn't and I didn't.

That was directed at banjo, and the whole arena thing.....

After your clarification, it sounds like you mean start farming Phoenix immediately and use them in arena as soon as possible. That would make more sense than telling new players to avoid arena altogether.
  • For a starting player you would want to hit both Arena and Fleet.
    My suggestion:
    EP, Vader, Tarkin, TFP, Thrawn

If you do not have good mods and your Vader is slower than others', use Thrawn lead.
    I could hang in top 10, sometimes top 20 with this arena squad.
    The past 2 weeks have been harder for me because everybody else is starting to zeta both Sion and EP.
    I do not have any zetas in mine. I still expect to keep top 20 in the following weeks with Thrawn lead.
    Saving my zetas for JTR and BB8.

Once you have a stable ranking in fleet, you could start gearing Sion and DN if you wish to invest in Nightmare since Traya is coming. I myself choose to use zetas on my Raiding squads.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »

I agree, try to hang on top 10 top 20, invest heavily.
    Phoenix will get you there.
    Soon your shard will be filled with Phoenix mirror matches, this is the time where you start working on your empire, because EP lead will crush those Phoenix. As soon as you get EP and Thrawn, go full throttle. A couple of months in the top 10 or 20 will give you a sizeable advantage. This is also the same story with Fleet which may be easier than arena because people are less active in fleet (so far).