The Force Awakens *SPOILERS-Do not read if you haven't seen the movie*

Prev134
AbysmalDarkside
316 posts Member
edited December 2015
Thought the movie was incredible one of the best in the series, but after watching the movie Kylo Ren is frail in my opinion definitely doesnt deserve to be an 80 shard character nor does Finn Phasma is even arguably a 25 shard character in reality for those who saw the movie your thoughts ? If you bought Ren before seeing the movie you're gonna be depressed afterwards hes a weakling
Post edited by Zalenira on

Replies

• soooooooo glad for the bariss nerf...I would of bought the new pack ..n after the movie. ....WHEW!!!!
  • AbysmalDarkside
    316 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Hes frail man give me a lightsaber ill cut him up but they did imply his training wasnt finished yet but to make him an 80 shard character he should be 50 max, maybe the next movie make a 80 shard version if he indeed is as strong as depicted in the movie
  • I'd love to have some constructive debates on this, but seriously without the means to be mentioning anything from the movie, we can't discuss about it at all. I think the shard choice. Honestly it doesn't matter. Characters that are natural 4 stars doesn't necessary means its better than a natural 3 stars and vice-versa. The amount of shard in terms of upgrading is same across the board.

We should do this again in weeks to come.
  • Well in the movie chewie got pawned by a blaster shot which reminds me of the game... He isn't tanky at all! But it seems he got higher damage in the movie by killing off so many troopers :)
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    No spoiler here but the film really ticked me off. Certainly the worst of the series. On the bright side, Phantom Menace just moved up the list. I knew going in that JJ would screw us as he did the Trekkies last round but I hope Lucas knows that kid JJ isn't even close to his level. He killed Heroes and Lost also with those **** endings. Disney and JJ have no respect for historical canon so when I saw them dismiss Lucas as a consultant on the project, I knew this would be suck-o...
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    No spoiler here but the film really ticked me off. Certainly the worst of the series. On the bright side, Phantom Menace just moved up the list....

Wow, I am glad I am not the only one! I was very disappointed in pretty much all aspects other than enjoying the new characters and action scenes.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Qeltar wrote: »
    No spoiler here but the film really ticked me off. Certainly the worst of the series. On the bright side, Phantom Menace just moved up the list....

Wow, I am glad I am not the only one! I was very disappointed in pretty much all aspects other than enjoying the new characters and action scenes.

The best part of the movie is that we got the characters to use here in SWGOH. It's funny, Kylo is more of a threat here than in the movie. Go to IMDB and look at the reviews, we're certainly not alone by a mile. The only ones who will like this movie is non-fans who didn't see the original six...
  • Just to add, if anyone didn't see this massacre yet, wait for the PPV and thank me later....
  • I completely share you op, we want Lucas back!
  • Terrorize89
    434 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Using IMDB to back up your views is a hindrance to your opinion, seeing as it's a pile of utter biased **** full of inconsistencies and errors. In the same way people shouldn't use IGN as a font of gaming knowledge.

Countless original trilogy fans enjoy the movie, far more than the prequels combined, so branding fans of the movie, non star wars fans is as false as IMDBS garbage. And considering you count the prequels as the orginal 6, casts heavy doubt over your outlook and your own our label as a star wars fan.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Thought the movie was incredible one of the best in the series, but after watching the movie Kylo Ren is frail in my opinion definitely doesnt deserve to be an 80 shard character nor does Finn Phasma is even arguably a 25 shard character in reality for those who saw the movie your thoughts ? If you bought Ren before seeing the movie you're gonna be depressed afterwards hes a weakling

Agreed, they all were weak. Vader would have ate their lunch for them, lower than padawan children level skills. I was wishing Vader would appear and show JJs kids what a real boss Lucas is!!!!! Thank you George for making my childhood magical, the real fans will never forget you...
  • Thought the movie was incredible one of the best in the series, but after watching the movie Kylo Ren is frail in my opinion definitely doesnt deserve to be an 80 shard character nor does Finn Phasma is even arguably a 25 shard character in reality for those who saw the movie your thoughts ? If you bought Ren before seeing the movie you're gonna be depressed afterwards hes a weakling

Agreed, they all were weak. Vader would have ate their lunch for them, lower than padawan children level skills. I was wishing Vader would appear and show JJs kids what a real boss Lucas is!!!!! Thank you George for making my childhood magical, the real fans will never forget you...

Well I guess we know who wrote the comedy for The Force Awakens ;) you're a funny guy. No seriously, you amuse the real fan base, keep it up and we may accept you as one of our own, as the court jester.
  • Using IMDB to back up your views is a hindrance to your opinion, seeing as it's a pile of utter biased **** full of inconsistencies and errors. In the same way people shouldn't use IGN as a font of gaming knowledge.

Countless original trilogy fans enjoy the movie, far more than the prequels combined, so branding fans of the movie, non star wars fans is as false as IMDBS garbage. And considering you count the prequels as the orginal 6, casts heavy doubt over your outlook and your own our label as a star wars fan.

I just used IMDB because it's well known but choose your poison. I consider Lucas' work now the original six after this release as a separation line. Including TFA with any of Lucas' classics is pretty insulting. I'm happy you enjoyed the film as many did but I didn't and I'm not alone. Looking at the majority of posts here, there was more criticism than praise.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    This thread is now loaded with spoilers. Going to ask a mod to edit the title.
  • Hes frail man give me a lightsaber ill cut him up but they did imply his training wasnt finished yet but to make him an 80 shard character he should be 50 max, maybe the next movie make a 80 shard version if he indeed is as strong as depicted in the movie
    I completely share you op, we want Lucas back!

Did you see these above?? Not looking like it's all sunshine and rainbows......
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    The vast majority of people loved the movie. Come on, we are in a tiny minority.
  • And in your experience, well known means a competent and faithful company/organisations? You do realize we play an EA game? Of course you do, since you posted a topic attacking them and their practices, so by your own words, surely you see well known means nothing?

You do remember the prequels right? How they destroyed Vader character? How weak they made the Jedi order, midichlorians, and of course, Jar Jar binks? Yeah... Lucas's work is mixed at best, and do remember, he sold out to Disney. He cares less about the franchise then anyone. Any problems you have with the movie can all stem from Lucas.

The Force Awakens is by far superior to most of the prequels combined.

Oh and the majority of the 14 posts, half of which are by us, are hardly any sort of indication to a fanbase counting hundreds of millions worldwide.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    I'd be happy to explain why I disliked the movie (and I know it's just my opinion) but can't with "NO SPOILERS" in the thread title.
    It wasn't a bad movie but it was very disappointing to an "old schooler" like me.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    This thread is now loaded with spoilers. Going to ask a mod to edit the title.

Good idea, maybe have a spoiler and spoiler free section for all....
  • Hey guys,

I went ahead and changed the title to say "Spoilers- Don't read if you haven't seen the movie". We don't currently have a section for off-topic, so this will have to stay in General Discussion until we do!

@EA_Jesse might request for this thread to be removed until such a forum section is made, though. Until then... Keep it to this thread please! :)
  • Asking the powers that be, would it be alright to add a non-spoiler post now so that group doesn't feel excluded???
  • Maybe I didn't use the proper terminology, but long story short, I've been in the theater for every release since Star Wars including TFA. I still have all my Mattel figures mint condition from my childhood. I have the original Marvel Star Wars comic book from the 70s, I've got endless memorabilia as I now am in my 40s so, Star Wars is a big piece of my childhood....
  • Growing up my dad introduced me to the original movies, loved Star Wars ever since. Prequels didn't do much for me. TFA I absolutely loved. For it was a fun, wondrous adventure akin to the original. Also had a gut wrencher scene that was needed to progress another characters journey. I was worried they would go all crazy but it was filmed masterfully and the screen wasn't cluttered.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    ***** MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW *****

Okay, now that the title is changed, here's why I disliked this movie:
    1. I'd seen it before. This has to be the least original sequel I have ever seen in my entire life. Almost every character and every plot device came from earlier episodes. We've got a new orphan with force powers on a desert planet. We have a new super pilot rebel guy. We have a new Darth Vader, right down to the mask. We have new {BadGuysFromWW2ThatTheCensorDoesn'tAllow}-like bad-guy generals and troops. We have a new "father-son conflict", even on a catwalk! We even have a new shriveled replacement for Yoda and a new Cantina and a new death star. I was actually going "REALLY?" to myself throughout the movie. Nearly EVERYTHING is recycled.
    (Did anyone notice the lampshading on the death star? "Aren't those things for blowing up?" Yeah.)
    2. The "30 years later" setup makes no sense. The Empire is defeated! Except it's not, it's exactly the same just with different people. There's a new Republic, but they do nothing, apparently, but sit and wait to be wrecked. And there's a "resistance"... why would there be a "resistance" when there's a Republic? The First Order would be the "resistance". Why wasn't the "resistance" working with the Republic? Just a truly dumb, horrible setup.
    3. Totally unrealistic character development. Rey apparently read "Jedi Masters for Dummies", since she went from quarterstaff-swinging waif to lightsaber master in 15 minutes or so. Even Finn, never having touched a lightsaber, was able to use it competently despite the weapon being notoriously difficult to learn. And no, I will not feel better if they invent some backstory reason about them having been previously trained and it having been "suppressed", I am evaluating THIS movie.
    4. Most of all, I HATED HATED HATED the way they treated all of the old characters except for Han and Chewie. I know the purpose here was to introduce new characters but what they did to the old ones was awful. Han and Leia are divorced, how predictable. The scenes with the two of them in it were embarassingly bad. Leia is Luke's twin but rather than a Jedi knight herself -- I hoped to see her swinging a saber around -- she's a "general" who basically does nothing but look worried.
    5. Saving the worst for last: Luke. The hero who rushed to help his friends untrained in Episode 5, the one who was willing to sacrifice himself in Episode 6, the last remaining Jedi and hope for the light side.. suffers a betrayal and so he turns into a whiner and sulks on a remote planet leaving the dark side to once again take over the galaxy?! Terrible, terrible, terrible. I don't even care if it turns out there was some mysterious reason, it made no sense to me for the character and I was really disappointed.
  • Agreed mostly with @Qeltar, and seriously I dont understand why most review on the internet give the movie high score.
  • I saw the movie and loved it... Was an original fan back from the first series and grew up on it - brought me to tears at one point. Quit **** about it and just enjoy it - if you think you can make a better movie knock yourself out.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Post edited for TOS violation
    Post edited by ObbyEcho on
  • Where's @Queltar to open up a can on this?? Preach old-schooler!!!
  • Terrorize89
    434 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    ***** MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW *****

Okay, now that the title is changed, here's why I disliked this movie:
    1. I'd seen it before. This has to be the least original sequel I have ever seen in my entire life. Almost every character and every plot device came from earlier episodes. We've got a new orphan with force powers on a desert planet. We have a new super pilot rebel guy. We have a new Darth Vader, right down to the mask. We have new {BadGuysFromWW2ThatTheCensorDoesn'tAllow}-like bad-guy generals and troops. We have a new "father-son conflict", even on a catwalk! We even have a new shriveled replacement for Yoda and a new Cantina and a new death star. I was actually going "REALLY?" to myself throughout the movie. Nearly EVERYTHING is recycled.
    (Did anyone notice the lampshading on the death star? "Aren't those things for blowing up?" Yeah.)
    2. The "30 years later" setup makes no sense. The Empire is defeated! Except it's not, it's exactly the same just with different people. There's a new Republic, but they do nothing, apparently, but sit and wait to be wrecked. And there's a "resistance"... why would there be a "resistance" when there's a Republic? The First Order would be the "resistance". Why wasn't the "resistance" working with the Republic? Just a truly dumb, horrible setup.
    3. Totally unrealistic character development. Rey apparently read "Jedi Masters for Dummies", since she went from quarterstaff-swinging waif to lightsaber master in 15 minutes or so. Even Finn, never having touched a lightsaber, was able to use it competently despite the weapon being notoriously difficult to learn. And no, I will not feel better if they invent some backstory reason about them having been previously trained and it having been "suppressed", I am evaluating THIS movie.
    4. Most of all, I HATED HATED HATED the way they treated all of the old characters except for Han and Chewie. I know the purpose here was to introduce new characters but what they did to the old ones was awful. Han and Leia are divorced, how predictable. The scenes with the two of them in it were embarassingly bad. Leia is Luke's twin but rather than a Jedi knight herself -- I hoped to see her swinging a saber around -- she's a "general" who basically does nothing but look worried.
    5. Saving the worst for last: Luke. The hero who rushed to help his friends untrained in Episode 5, the one who was willing to sacrifice himself in Episode 6, the last remaining Jedi and hope for the light side.. suffers a betrayal and so he turns into a whiner and sulks on a remote planet leaving the dark side to once again take over the galaxy?! Terrible, terrible, terrible. I don't even care if it turns out there was some mysterious reason, it made no sense to me for the character and I was really disappointed.

You are completely entilited to your opinion and I won't attack you over yours, I will merely add my insight on your points. I will point out first that while I love the movie, I don't think it's perfect, nothing is, not even the orginal trilogy.

1) This is a point I feel most will either love or hate the movie for, however I think the majority will prefer the throwbacks and lack of originality, over getting another episode 1. While I wasn't completely sold on how unoriginal it was at times, I do know this is star wars, that the force works in mysterious ways and that history and events tend to repeat themselves. Any over franchise and I wouldn't be sold on it at all, but with star wars I believe there may be reasons yet to be revealed.

Rey also isn't an orphan, her parents were never said to be dead, just they left her in the care of people on Jakku, and logically, desert planets are great places to hide people who others don't want to be found, aka Luke and Rey. Who was the other super Pilot guy? Wedges? While good I wouldn't call him Poe good, and Poe also demostrates on the ground skills, Wedges never did.

Kylo worships his grandfather, looks up to him, it's completely understandable that he resembles Vader. And despite their name, the New Order aren't new villains, they are the remnants of the Imperial Empire. The Empire wasn't defeated after episode 6. Sure Palpatine was dead but it was a Galatic empire, spread as the name suggests, throughout the galaxy. It didn't die with his death, there were factions and power struggles to sieze control and rebuild. If you've played Star Wars Uprising which is canon, takes place years after episode 6 and is about a faction of the empire who've sealed off a quadrant of space and rule over it like nothing has changed, blocking news of the emperors defeat. The rebels were too busy securing the inner rim and establishing the new Republic to wage war at the same time on all imperial factions. It's a fair assumption that Snoke gathered the remnants to become the First Order.

The new death star and the cat walk scene, completely agree, there's no logically explanation. But as for cantina, surely it's acceptable to believe there's more than one in the galaxy lol.

2) Point one covers much about the empire. The resistance and Republic are hazy, but from dialogue in the movie, it seems the resistance is covertly tasked by the Republic to root out the last if the Empire while the Republic promotes peace on its front, after 20 odd years at war, it's understandable that publically the Republic just wants peace fir it's citizens who've suffered enough. There is a movie called Star Wars Rebels next year, I believe this explains more about these there factions. The movie was already lengthy, it would be hard to include all the politics and everything else into a single motion picture.

3) Going by Reys vision, she was present when Kylo killed his fellow Jedi pupils. And since only Jedi were there, this points to the fact Rey was a Jedi in training as a little girl. The movie is called The Force Awakens, which is meant entirely on Reys abilities waking back up, this would imply that before being left on Jakku, her memory was altered and skills suppressed. However once coming into contact with, what is highly likely, her fathers lightsaber, any sort of ability block (game reference woo!) Was broken and her training flooded back fast. In the trailer Luke mentions the whole "The force runs strong in my family" lines, I believe he was talking to Rey, as when he mentions Leia, he says his sister, not your mother, so it rules Kylo out. Finn is or was a First Order stormtrooper, and as displayed, they have combat training in melee weapons against lightsaber (obviously their role is to kill Luke), so Finn likely received such training, hence some ability with a lightsaber.

4)I too hoped to see Leia trained in the force, perhaps she is, perhaps after losing Kylo she retreated into her older roles, there are possible explanations for her that may become clear later.

5) To be fair, I've always hated Luke and seen him in the way you now see him, to me what he did, I'm not surprised, it's the self loathing, self pity skywalker trait apparently.

Also one final point, this movie isn't a standalone movie, unlike episode 4 which was intended to be, this one never was. There was always going to be questions, mysteries and apparently plot holes, that could easily be explained by the end of the trilogy. It's not a movie to be judged as a standalone. As I mentioned earlier, other films and publications are out and coming out that will likely fill holes that episode 8 and 9 may not.
    Post edited by Terrorize89 on
  • Very well said Terrorize. I really enjoyed the movie and while there were a few things that bugged me, overall I think it was easily better than any of the prequels.
This discussion has been closed.